Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did GW2 just surge 33% in popularity overnight?

Comments

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by silvermember
    Originally posted by ElSandman
    Originally posted by toddze

You have the advatage to see that TOR turned out to be gatbage, I knew TOR was going to be garbage well before launch, and I posted it. I took a beating for it. Kind of like I am taking a beating now, for my GWII remarks, but like tor, I will be laughing last on GWII, saying "I told you so" .

The good thing about GWII is it wont leave a bitter taste in your mouth because of subs. people will constanlty play and quit off and on, like they did in GW1. Come back play awhile see whats new and go play another game.

Have to say I agree 100%.  TOR being a failure well before launch was blatantly obvious, although I did not post it.  GW2 going the same way, ie offering a short term play experience only is also blatantly obvious, although I am also not going to bother posting about it.  I am just not into pissing contests, and "they" just do not want to hear it.  Also it is not hard to justify a one off $60 spend for this short term experience - as you said this is the best part of GW2.

BTW, I am not criticising you for posting this, by all means keep posting, just don't expect them to thank you for it, even when the whining starts.

-toot

crap

Your problem with guild wars 2 seems to be that its a game. Every game  eventually becomes repetitive. Grindy=/=repetitive F.Y.I. It is how quickly that it will become grindy that is/was debated (repetitive if you prefer).  The fact that you are a GW1 player probably means that the lore/IP matters to you, so I suspect that it will take much longer for this issue to matter to you than to many non-GW1 players who are interested in this game.

You are right, eventually guild wars 2 will become boring to me and I am going to quit it just like I quit Guild wars 1. But then eventually, I am going to return to it, just like I return to guild wars 1 multiple times over the 6 years I played it. I play games to have fun, not to play for the sake of playing like you seem to be do. Every game has a beginning and an End, the End is dependent on the individual. I do know this, by the time I do get bored of guild wars 2, I would have gotten my moneys worth out of the game.  I think most people will get their $60 of value from the game.  This is not my issue with the game.  My issue is that some have hyped this game to ridiculous levels and have such raised expectations that this game will not deliver on.

Going back to my original point that guild wars 2 is a game. Yes, I will miss dynamic events, THAT is why they are called DYNAMIC events not quest because they will happen whether I am there or not. Also by your other statement it is apparent you haven't actually played the game. Dynamic events happen all the time, will I miss some of them yes, but they will be other dynamice events, I don't need to do any specific dynamic event because most of them are self contained. 

While guild wars 2 combat is better than most mmorpg, its not really something to write home about. Yes, its better than most mmorpg combat, but it is still crap compared to all the action games I primarily play on the console side. Honestly, my ultimate combat system would be dragons dogma, dmc or gow, but alas the limitation of MMOs do not allow for such a precise combat system. fortunately, i don't play mmorpg for its mainly for its combat, but for the sum of its parts.

So you like the trinity good for you, but all the consequences you listed as not the result of the removal of the trinity unfortunately. if you actually have played a game with sieging you would understand, but since you clearly havent let me explain. When I played aion, even with the trinity people were more incline to zerg, is just human nature, without any organization there is chaos. But once guilds arise, they will be organization. It happen to us in aion and it will happen in guild wars 2.  It might surprise you, but I actually agree with you.  The trinity is a ludicrous PvE mechanism.  Replace the computer AI with a human mind, and they will always take out the glass cannon or healer in preference to the tank.  However, for PvE group content, having the trinity is better than having nothing.

To conclude, your issues with guild wars 2 seem to be  manufactured and you are reaching. It's almost as if you are complaining that guild wars 2 is an MMORPG and not real ife. you complain about it eventually getting boring. you complain that the game will continue without your royal highness ELsandman around to do the content. You complain about guild wars 2 removal of the trinity and provide a stupid consequence of its removal. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by grimm6th
    Originally posted by Rohn

It ended with almost 105,000 supposedly unique hits for the day, which is roughly 4 to 5 times as many as it has been averaging daily over the last few weeks.  There's nothing significant in the news or features that would explain such a dramatic increase.

Again, this has happened before with other games.  I really doubt these are actually legitimate hits.

Sigh, does this really matter?  Is there any doubt that GW2 got more hits than the other games on this site?  Maybe something outside the typical gaming websites influenced this, maybe not.

Even if this is not legitimate (something I really don't care about in this case, as GW2 already has the most hits for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, and 1 year), it isn't exactly effecting anything...

I think the far more interesting question is:  What kind of people would do this?

The answer:  They are the people we'll be playing with.  It's an indicator of the quality of the community overall.  A lack of integrity is not one of the features I look for in a playerbase.  The eSport crowd does not have a good reputation - win at any cost, including cheating.

As you've noted, GW2 has topped out all of the hit counter categories on this website.  So, how many of those are legitimate hits?  How long has this manipulation been going on?  It's likely the hype rating has also been manipulated by the community.

You're right - it's a petty thing to do.  What does it say about the community?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by wrightstuf
    Yep, Kate Upton just announced she was gonna play

Had to google Kate Upton to find out who she was.

and i'm doing the same

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Holy tinfoil hats batman. Didn't swotor get similar hits prior to release?

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by wrightstuf
    Yep, Kate Upton just announced she was gonna play

Had to google Kate Upton to find out who she was.

Me to and she's hot!

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

It ended with almost 105,000 supposedly unique hits for the day, which is roughly 4 to 5 times as many as it has been averaging daily over the last few weeks.  There's nothing significant in the news or features that would explain such a dramatic increase.

Again, this has happened before with other games.  I really doubt these are actually legitimate hits.

Sigh, does this really matter?  Is there any doubt that GW2 got more hits than the other games on this site?  Maybe something outside the typical gaming websites influenced this, maybe not.

Even if this is not legitimate (something I really don't care about in this case, as GW2 already has the most hits for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, and 1 year), it isn't exactly effecting anything...

I think the far more interesting question is:  What kind of people would do this?

The answer:  They are the people we'll be playing with.  It's an indicator of the quality of the community overall.  A lack of integrity is not one of the features I look for in a playerbase.  The eSport crowd does not have a good reputation - win at any cost, including cheating.

As you've noted, GW2 has topped out all of the hit counter categories on this website.  So, how many of those are legitimate hits?  How long has this manipulation been going on?  It's likely the hype rating has also been manipulated by the community.

So you're accusing community of cheating when it comes to hype and "hits" ithout any kind of proof. I think it speaks more about you than anybody else.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I think it is just what it is. People have played TOR, TERA, and now TSW and see what the games are like and they are hoping for the next thing. Many will be dissappointed and many won't. I think people are looking for something and they don't know what it is. Is it a WoW clone? Is it a UO, DOAC, or other clone? I think people bring their biases to each and every game and decide based on that if they like it or not.

Doesn't bother me one way or the other. I like GW2. I think it is amazing. It is was pretty nice nice engine in GW1 (as the game improved in graphics as the different chapters came out). I think it can be tweaked and improved as the game goes along.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Though i think the game will be good (i played the betas), im worried about all the hype.

The game is good. No doubt.. But it won't be the "NEXT BIG THING THAT DESTROY WOW FOREVER!!!!"

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Method01

Though i think the game will be good (i played the betas), im worried about all the hype.

The game is good. No doubt.. But it won't be the "NEXT BIG THING THAT DESTROY WOW FOREVER!!!!"

If you play GW2 and not WoW, then you just killed WoW.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Yes WoW is doomed right? Having 9 mil suscribers and all?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I think you misundrestood him/her. If you have fun with new game then it doesn't matter if there are other games. gW2 doesn't need to destory WoW to be a successful game and to live up to the hype.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Zooce

Looks like hit spammer manipulation imo.  GW2 has been about twice as popular as TSW and SWTOR for the past month, but last night (and much more noticable today) seems to be unbelievably popular.

Is there a rational explanation for this boost in hit traffic, or do you suspect foul play too?

14 pages..........

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

GW2 sold around 2 million copies, that means there will be around 2 million potential players, I expect us to have 1-1.5 million players in the game steady after 2-4 months after the game launches.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by QSatu

I think you misundrestood him/her. If you have fun with new game then it doesn't matter if there are other games. gW2 doesn't need to destory WoW to be a successful game and to live up to the hype.

Bingo!

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Siphaed

You have the advatage to see that TOR turned out to be gatbage, I knew TOR was going to be garbage well before launch, and I posted it. I took a beating for it. Kind of like I am taking a beating now, for my GWII remarks, but like tor, I will be laughing last on GWII, saying "I told you so" .

The good thing about GWII is it wont leave a bitter taste in your mouth because of subs. people will constanlty play and quit off and on, like they did in GW1. Come back play awhile see whats new and go play another game.

Have to say I agree 100%.  TOR being a failure well before launch was blatantly obvious, although I did not post it.  GW2 going the same way, ie offering a short term play experience only is also blatantly obvious, although I am also not going to bother posting about it.  I am just not into pissing contests, and "they" just do not want to hear it.  Also it is not hard to justify a one off $60 spend for this short term experience - as you said this is the best part of GW2.

BTW, I am not criticising you for posting this, by all means keep posting, just don't expect them to thank you for it, even when the whining starts.

Where in the mists did you ever get the idea that GW2 is offering a "short term play experience only"?  Tell me, what of the game shows that kind of concept?  Let me dig into it and find out....

• Jumping Puzzles?  Its it the dozens upon dozens of achievement yielding, chest-chasing puzzles that players will chase off the beaten path to accomplish?  Almost considered to be mini-dungeons with most containing a small boss fight at the end of it.  No, that doesn't seem to encourage short term.
    • How about that WvWvW?  The 4-map spanning  siege battle between 3 servers where players constantly get to PvP on a grand scale.  Although rankings are stacked up each 2 weeks, this mechanic just screams long term as those server Rankings are going to be a meta-chase for those wanting to be the biggest and best server.
    • sPvP?  Hmm, an eSport mechanic right out of the gate that is mostly map balanced, player level and gear balanced, and will have tournaments.  If other eSport games are anything of indication, then this is going to boom into a long think of awesomeness.  Also, there are already streams and broadcasts of games from players without the future spectator mode.
    • It's got to be the PvE, right? I mean, 5 different races and starting zones, 1,000's of Dynamic Events all over the world, 25 different zones, de-leveling to go into lower level zones while still being rewarding,  exploration rewards, and many dungeons with multiple story modes, and even personal stories with different paths based on player's choices.  For some reason, that doesn't seem so short term.  Shucks, not again.
    • How about crafting?  Well, 8 different crafting professions, the player allowing to have 2 at a time but when they drop for another one they get to keep the progress so that they can switch back and not lost that progress later.  Hmm...something that encourages grinding out all 8 professions of 400 levels of crafting and trying to discover every single recipe to craft every single item possible in the game.   That speaks long term all over it.  
    • Mini-games! That's the short term project.  Something that completely distracts the players from their leveling and progression by inserting something that would waste their time while they enjoyed fun....oh, crud, that sounds like long term again. 

I think you're fooling yourself saying that Guilld Wars 2 is a "short term experience".   There's enough content to keep a person playing every day for an entire year and still not have discovered everything there is to the game.

Lets just say, I hope you are right and that I am wrong.

I know I'm right.    I mean, there's really two main types of players when it comes to MMO's: 

1) Classics -  These are MMO players either from the first generation of MMO's, or new players that have obtained the same mentality.   They cosplay at shows, PRG, write character biographies, explore the world, get basked in the glory of every fight like it's is another epic encounter on the journey of making their character the hero of the lands.

2) "The firsts" or Rushers - These are people that the term "carrot on a stick" was made for.  They must have a reward for everything.   These players need to get stuff first, the fastest, with the least amount of effort possible.  They don't care about the game's story, it's universe, or even the guy standing next to them.  Everything is numbers to them and they could be wearing the ugliest gear in the world, as long as it's the most powerful stat wise.

Guild Wars 2 was made for Group#1, not for Group#2.  Those from Group#2 will rush and be gone back to whatever game they came from (that's if their old game doens't leave a bad taste in their mouth with it's combat compared to GW2). 

I said it was made for Group#1 because of the grand scale of cities (where if it was made for rushers it wouldn't have only 1 district each city with all the NPC's crammed into a single city block),   because of the jump puzzles, the mini-games being nothing more than a time filling waste of time (almost no purpose than to have fun).   The gear in this game has even tiers of stats and only cosmetics matter (something Group#2 doens't give ten rats about).  The NPC's in the game have story arches in their Dynamic Events, besides the non-chained NPC's that have 100,000's of dialog and animation for no other purpose than to add extra life into the game  (again, something Group#2 couldn't care less about and instead would be like "Who cares about your dying sister?! Give me my quest mission and let me complete it for the gold!!!!!")

That's just the PvE, the sPvP and WvWvW is mostly the same way.   For the sPvP, everyone is on a flat plane of stats and level, where only their skill is the deciding factor (not for a gear-hunting Group#2 that wants a "season set" that is 10x more powerful than anyone else).  And for the WvW it boils down to having the same gear tiers as PvE, also everyone is boosted to level 80.  The one difference in this one is that a player's PvE level determines their Skill Points and Trait Points as well, so a level 80 will be a lot more powerful than a level 30 (assuming he/she bought Trait books).  But, people of the same level or within a 10-20 level gap will be on a nearly even ground where skill and timing comes into play.

So yes, some people will leave.  But , those people are coming here expecting Guild Wars 2 to be something it's not.  The game doesn't fit their vision of an MMO.  To them I say, "Sorry that you have no immersive imagination.  Good luck with your digital calculator elsewhere."

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Edit: Whoops, misread.
  • wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by Jonoku

GW2 sold around 2 million copies, that means there will be around 2 million potential players, I expect us to have 1-1.5 million players in the game steady after 2-4 months after the game launches.

CAN you PLEASE explain to me where you found that the game has sold already 2 mil copies?

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by thekid1

Look at the front page..

90% of the thread activity is in GW2 forums.

I never seen anything like that before, not with Vanguard, Conan, WAR or Star wars TOR.

GWII doesnt even hold a candle to how popular SWTOR was in november, early december. In general Star Wars fan base is massive. GW is a nich group compared to that. Doesnt matter though both games are woefully dreadfull in their own ways. It just so happens the mmo flavor of the next cople months is GWII, it will fall into MMO oblivion in due time and join TOR.

Sorry i can't hear you over the "most popular game of the last year" chart were Gw2 is first with 4,317,364 Unique Hits and SWTOR only second 3,751,249 Hits.

And GW2 has yet to launch so the gap will only become bigger.

TOR Was a failure before launch due to its mechanics and its focus on the wrong mechanics aka story and it was charging 15 bucks a month. 

It seem to be that your biggest problem with guild wars 2 based only on this post is that it doesn't have mechanics designed to extend unnecessarily exttend your time. Most other MMORPG try to extend the length by adding barriers, guild wars 2 actually respects you as a player and doesn't use unneccessary tricks into designed to stall you so you can pay a sub.

Make no mistake, not every mmorpg is designed for everybody. guild wars 2 isn't designed for people that want busy work, you can easily have busy work playing WOW. Guild wars 2 is designed for people that want to have fun, gw2 knows every game will eventually get boring but unlike every game it does not punish you significantly for leaving.

This a million time.

People claiming it won't have a "lasting appeal" just want a new online job. Sorry i'm here to play a game not work on a geargrind wheel.

People will go in and out of the game. They will keep coming later on with new content.

And this is great: finally an mmorpg that respect its players.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

-toot

crap

Your problem with guild wars 2 seems to be that its a game. Every game  eventually becomes repetitive. Grindy=/=repetitive F.Y.I. It is how quickly that it will become grindy that is/was debated (repetitive if you prefer).  The fact that you are a GW1 player probably means that the lore/IP matters to you, so I suspect that it will take much longer for this issue to matter to you than to many non-GW1 players who are interested in this game.Actually, I don't play mmo for the lore or the story, it adds to the game but I don't play it for the story. And really, there is no real connection between guild wars 1 lore and guild wars 2, except for a few very insignificant details such as races, location, mesmer and minor references. I have to ask, what does being a guild wars 1 player have to do with grindy =/=repetitive?

You are right, eventually guild wars 2 will become boring to me and I am going to quit it just like I quit Guild wars 1. But then eventually, I am going to return to it, just like I return to guild wars 1 multiple times over the 6 years I played it. I play games to have fun, not to play for the sake of playing like you seem to be do. Every game has a beginning and an End, the End is dependent on the individual. I do know this, by the time I do get bored of guild wars 2, I would have gotten my moneys worth out of the game.  I think most people will get their $60 of value from the game.  This is not my issue with the game.  My issue is that some have hyped this game to ridiculous levels and have such raised expectations that this game will not deliver on. So your  problem  pretty much amounts to, blah blah people are excited about the game. Why do you care whether some random stranger is excited about a game, do you go and hate on people that are excited about getting an ipad because you don't see the deal with the ipad? Are the some people unrealistic expectations? Yes, I think there are some people with unreasonable expectations but it wasn't created by Arenanet but by the individual player, everything important system that arenanet said will be in the game is in the game and it is working exactly the way the described. But hating on a game solely because the fans are hype up for is pathetic,. If you tried the game and hate it, that is fine. Guild wars 2, fortunately will not appeal to everybody and that is how it should be.

Going back to my original point that guild wars 2 is a game. Yes, I will miss dynamic events, THAT is why they are called DYNAMIC events not quest because they will happen whether I am there or not. Also by your other statement it is apparent you haven't actually played the game. Dynamic events happen all the time, will I miss some of them yes, but they will be other dynamice events, I don't need to do any specific dynamic event because most of them are self contained. 

While guild wars 2 combat is better than most mmorpg, its not really something to write home about. Yes, its better than most mmorpg combat, but it is still crap compared to all the action games I primarily play on the console side. Honestly, my ultimate combat system would be dragons dogma, dmc or gow, but alas the limitation of MMOs do not allow for such a precise combat system. fortunately, i don't play mmorpg for its mainly for its combat, but for the sum of its parts.

So you like the trinity good for you, but all the consequences you listed as not the result of the removal of the trinity unfortunately. if you actually have played a game with sieging you would understand, but since you clearly havent let me explain. When I played aion, even with the trinity people were more incline to zerg, is just human nature, without any organization there is chaos. But once guilds arise, they will be organization. It happen to us in aion and it will happen in guild wars 2.  It might surprise you, but I actually agree with you.  The trinity is a ludicrous PvE mechanism.  Replace the computer AI with a human mind, and they will always take out the glass cannon or healer in preference to the tank.  However, for PvE group content, having the trinity is better than having nothing. I can see why you would say something like this. From your post, you are the ultimate mmorpg player, the guy that probabably doesn't play anything other than mmorpg. The truth is the trinity doesn't add anything. As a matter of fact the trinity was created as a way to deal with the shitty A.I available at the time. There is no real reason to have the trinity other than because nobody attempted to create a system without a trinity. Guild wars 2 shows you can have a game without a trinity, but if you haven't actually played the game you wouldn't understand.

To conclude, your issues with guild wars 2 seem to be  manufactured and you are reaching. It's almost as if you are complaining that guild wars 2 is an MMORPG and not real ife. you complain about it eventually getting boring. you complain that the game will continue without your royal highness ELsandman around to do the content. You complain about guild wars 2 removal of the trinity and provide a stupid consequence of its removal. 

well my response is in red.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

The following is my impression from within this forum and others.

Regarding the popularity metrics for GW2, this game has been #1 for many within the mmo community for over 2 yrs, as those of us in the know can see the features and other details that sell the game, rather than any IP, dev or publisher hype. With SWTOR the game was known and hyped up by a larger Star Wars fan-base, and general public, but the hype was lower within the mmo community as we could see the flaws in the details, and it got lower with every new piece of info, and crashed after release. This leads to a conflicted, divided SWTOR community, with star wars fans keeping it alive with a few mmo player holdouts and the rest turning away. Just 10 mins ago on empire station a large conversion in general chat was addressing how if it wasn’t star wars most there would have left.

Now GW2 is slowly gaining fame outside of the mmo community and GW fan-base, it will building on a solid community foundation outwards, as opposed to the hollow shell that existed in the build up to SWTOR’s release. The hype remains for GW2 among us mmo vets as the game has withstood closer scrutiny, something SWTOR did not. This means the popularity and hits for the game will grow steadily for quite some time, as I predicted 2 yrs ago, rather than peak and dive, as GW2 goes from mmo community favourite  -  to the general public’s new rising star.

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

It did jump up.

I know I am going to like and will enjoy the stresstest tomorrow. At least for a few hrs.

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by Zooce

Looks like hit spammer manipulation imo.  GW2 has been about twice as popular as TSW and SWTOR for the past month, but last night (and much more noticable today) seems to be unbelievably popular.

Is there a rational explanation for this boost in hit traffic, or do you suspect foul play too?

I think people are just chomping at the bit.  The 25th is toooooooooo far away and people are just devouring any and all info GW2 related.

Nom Nom Nom. Yeah, 16 more days left.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

After waiting for a day to check out this again for today. I would say that some of this might have been foul play (very little though). GW2 forum has 3 pages of topics that are being responded to just TODAY. 5 Pages responded to the past 2 days. Most of these topics are flamed (5+ pages long). Search engine bots, thus, are accounting for many more hits than normal, because many more people are posting. Plus, I personally was much more active lurking the GW2 forum yesterday than normal (probably 5-10 times more active). Even if foul play was invovled, it might have accounted for 5-10k hits. But none of this matters anyway, because the game is still getting at least twice as many hits as other games every day. (today its getting over 3x more hits than any other game).

EDIT: And it might drop a little today due to the 4 hour stress test

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by dellirious13

After waiting for a day to check out this again for today. I would say that some of this might have been foul play (very little though). GW2 forum has 3 pages of topics that are being responded to just TODAY. 5 Pages responded to the past 2 days. Most of these topics are flamed (5+ pages long). Search engine bots, thus, are accounting for many more hits than normal, because many more people are posting. Plus, I personally was much more active lurking the GW2 forum yesterday than normal (probably 5-10 times more active). Even if foul play was invovled, it might have accounted for 5-10k hits. But none of this matters anyway, because the game is still getting at least twice as many hits as other games every day. (today its getting over 3x more hits than any other game).

EDIT: And it might drop a little today due to the 4 hour stress test

Yesterday GW2 finished at ~37,000, which is a loss of almost 70,000 supposedly unique hits.  Inexplicably, it only gained about 1/3 of the hits of the previous day.  These are supposed to be unique hits as well, so the same person coming to the site over and over should only register as one hit.

Clearly, those were not legitimate hits.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by zevni78

The following is my impression from within this forum and others.

Regarding the popularity metrics for GW2, this game has been #1 for many within the mmo community for over 2 yrs, as those of us in the know can see the features and other details that sell the game, rather than any IP, dev or publisher hype. With SWTOR the game was known and hyped up by a larger Star Wars fan-base, and general public, but the hype was lower within the mmo community as we could see the flaws in the details, and it got lower with every new piece of info, and crashed after release. This leads to a conflicted, divided SWTOR community, with star wars fans keeping it alive with a few mmo player holdouts and the rest turning away. Just 10 mins ago on empire station a large conversion in general chat was addressing how if it wasn’t star wars most there would have left.

Now GW2 is slowly gaining fame outside of the mmo community and GW fan-base, it will building on a solid community foundation outwards, as opposed to the hollow shell that existed in the build up to SWTOR’s release. The hype remains for GW2 among us mmo vets as the game has withstood closer scrutiny, something SWTOR did not. This means the popularity and hits for the game will grow steadily for quite some time, as I predicted 2 yrs ago, rather than peak and dive, as GW2 goes from mmo community favourite  -  to the general public’s new rising star.

I agree.