Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well,,,, bye bye secret world

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by sonicbrew
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by rdrakken
    It's FunCom; with their track record did you really expect anything less?

This.

In fact, Funcoms company slogan should be "Funcom: lower your expectations".

That notion doesn't really work here.TSW is actually a solid, well made game, which Funcom always caught flak for producing the opposite.

As someone who beta'd the game for quite some time, I could not disagree more. For me, the notion worked extremely well...

So you beta'd the game,have a cookie..

Compared to Aoc and AO,TSW was leaps and bounds better at release.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Im done,

Yet again I am wondering who to blame for the money sepent on this "hyped up impulse purchase"

Im not knocking them completely; the game has some nice small features, but with all things being equal this game is the same grind as any other.

Im mostly upset with their PVP.

Why am i in a world with 3 factions at war, where one second i can group with them to take down a dungeon boss; then fight them the next second in some huge annonymous skill less zerg battle.

Open world PVP should have been a cornerstone in this game. 

Im thinking that each faction should have had faction missions, rewarding you in faction rank or gear,, when you take a faction mission; your "overt" and can be ganked by any other overt enemy faction.

Thats my 2 cents.

Yep same reasons I'm quitting. When I first heard of their 3 faction design I was like "Finally a good OWPvP game, the lore is ideal for it !", turns out the PvP is nothing more than a last minute after thought, a bad one at that.

The questing is better than most themeparks out there but that's not what I play MMOs for.

So adios TSW, the ride was fun while it lasted.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Yet again I am wondering who to blame for the money sepent on this 

Blame no one else but yourself.

I played the free weekend, finished Kingsmouth and the whole "Dawn of an endless night" storyline.

Had a blast and didn't pay a single cent for it.

If you like a game but you are unsure if it's worth paying for and you pay anyway without testing first - then it's your own fault and no one elses.

Harbinger of Fools
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    As others have said its clearly a play experience the atmosphere, do te story and shelf type game. I am hoping by the time I get round to it there will be a load more content, maybe, maybe not.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    definitely worth the box price. console games are priced the same and you get waaaaaay less.

Console games don't require a subscription if you eant to pick it up again a few months later.  If you play MMO's you don't really want disposable games like the ones dummies buy for consoles.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Hopefully GW2 kills the subscription model for all games not named WOW. 
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well worth the box price and sub.. this is the best themepark game on the market simple as..

Sadly at the moment i dont have time for ti.. but ill be back when i do..

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

there are still other markets out there.

eve online for one may hold onto their sub model for quite some time as neither of these games seem to really fill the same niche.  

and there are others no doubt.  i thought at first TSW might be one of them, but after hearing more about the game i'm not so sure anymore.. but i'm not even close to an expert on this game.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Not everyone wants some form of a cash shop in their game. To some of us, it is sad that the genre is moving in that direction.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

I dunno, playing a MMORPG and looking for balanced, competitive PVP seems to be a recipie for failure anyway.  LOL or some other MOBA seems more suitable no?

Open world PVP is always zergy as well, so that really doesn't solve the issue, you learn to accept that as well.

TSW is a PVE oriented game and they tossed in a bit of PVP just for grins.  I haven't even tried it yet, despite playing now in my 2nd month.  BG combat is of no interest to me, the rewards are inconsequential, so what would be the point.

Seems like GW2 might offer a better experience, and good news, will be available in a few weeks.

But I suspect it will let down many folks as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

(and of course, have a legion of very happy players as well)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67

lack of meaningfull open world pvp was the olny reason i passed on this game,, i enjoyed my time in the closed beta A LOT, but in a longer run it just isnt a game for me, the pvp in it is just complete opposite of what i expect from my mmo's, and after swtor i just wasnt in a mood to spend 50 or 60 $ just for a themepark pve experience ( even tho the pve experience in tsw is really really enjoyable, and different from all the copy paste games out there )

if youre looking for a pve game and like the setting, you will enjoy tsw a lot

if youre a die hard pvper, this most likely wont be a game for you

kinda shame, becouse being a huge anarchy online fan id be glad to give my cash to funcom

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    If PvP was more enjoyable, I'd still be playing. At this point, I feel no desire to do so. Ah well.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Im done,

Yet again I am wondering who to blame for the money sepent on this "hyped up impulse purchase"

Im not knocking them completely; the game has some nice small features, but with all things being equal this game is the same grind as any other.

Im mostly upset with their PVP.

Why am i in a world with 3 factions at war, where one second i can group with them to take down a dungeon boss; then fight them the next second in some huge annonymous skill less zerg battle.

Im thinking that each faction should have had faction missions, rewarding you in faction rank or gear,, when you take a faction mission; your "overt" and can be ganked by any other overt enemy faction.

Thats my 2 cents.

The 3 factions are technically in a truce, the battlegrounds are there, mainly for the sake of having pvp. 

I would say mostly your fault for expecting a pve game to be pvp focused.  I mean, I didnt go into EvE expecting awsome dungeons and compelling story.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The release of SWTOR should have taught ALL MMORPG gamers 3 important lessons:

NEVER pre-order a game

NEVER believe in hype - ESPECIALLY articles written by MMORPG.com staff - they have to earn a living too, you know!

NEVER buy a game during the first month of its release - they ALWAYS put the best stuff at the beginning because they know professional reviewers are lazy

Here endeth the lesson.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Come on, you aren't seriously trying to blame somebody else than yourself for this?

All I can say is that I have gotten my money's worth from this game and then some (easily the best PvE for me since post-launch LotRO). Probably with "that other game" just around the corner and me having gone through practically all of the TSW PvE content (sans the gear/AP/SP grind runs which I won't touch with a ten foot pole) I'll put TSW sub on hold temporarily and wait for enough new content to land (and the initial rush of "that other game" to pass). To me TSW has been a perfect PvE experience and nothing more. If they push enough content at the same quality level they have in the game now I'll definitely will make a comeback someday. I find the atmosphere and the quests (on average) in the game beyond anything else out there at the moment (or in the near future). I'll be missing it while I'm gone.

To me, TSW PvP really is quite "something" (I'm not sure what exactly but fun it ain't). 

• GrudakGrudak Member Posts: 4
    Bye, bye for me as well. I don't feel cheated though and I am not mad about it. Game just got boring after a month. It is not for me. I am glad it lost it's luster before I had to pay for another month. I went in knowing that they wouldn't be focusing much on PvP, but I still had some hope for it. After playing for a month I can see there is no hope without a huge overhaul. Time to wait for the next thing, which I guess is GW2. I am apprehensive about it as well though. No way it can live up to the hype. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
         I'm sorrry to say but there is no one to blame but yourself......As for the PVP, I totally agree...It should have been epic in this game and it was absolutely awful......Everyone looked the same and there was just no dislike for the other factions like there is in most other games....It doesn't help that everyone pretty much looks the same and has the same clothing options at creation either.....Trust me once you leave you wont miss it one iota.
  • GeschaeferGeschaefer Member Posts: 117

I know that im probably going to get kicked up and down the forums for this comment but...

I wish that any game could model themselves after SWG Pre CU. There was never a dull moment with open world PVP (through overt faction)

Im not trying to get off topic; but after playing SWG Pre CU almost what --- 11 years ago --- !!! it is boggling to believe that another gaming co can completely screw up their pvp..

SWG did it seemlessly ages ago; why cant it be done today..

It doesnt even make sense for a gaming co to say things like "if theres a high demand for open world PVP - then we will think about it"

If customers are looking to you for a product; and your in the buisiness where that product exist,,, why wouldnt you just give it to them?

Are their programers on PVP stike? Are they requesting double overtime to write and code PVP? --- really whats the deal here?

Just put some well thought out PVP in your games; this is crazy

If these gaming co were home builders; we would all be buying fully furnishd homes with built in heat but no AC. or walls with no windows.

Why are we constantly seeing these 1/2 built games.

G.E.Schaefer
    Played: EQ1. EQ2. FFXI. SWG. Aion. WAR. LOTRO. TabulaRasa. Hellgate London. Diablo 1. Diablo II. Diablo 3. STO. WOW. Vanguard. Guild Wars. Rift. Terra. The Secret World. EVE. Guild Wars 2. Firefall. Neverwinter.

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

Blame the same thing that made sheeples buy millions of diablo 3 boxes without knowing the game is really a shit tier timesink pay 2 win game.

Neuro science hyping advertisement playing with your brain coupled with masterized years of anticipation cleverly crafted from marketers that just know when and how much "info" they spill like little bits of bread to chickens.

Never fails.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I dunno, playing a MMORPG and looking for balanced, competitive PVP seems to be a recipie for failure anyway.  LOL or some other MOBA seems more suitable no?

Open world PVP is always zergy as well, so that really doesn't solve the issue, you learn to accept that as well.

TSW is a PVE oriented game and they tossed in a bit of PVP just for grins.  I haven't even tried it yet, despite playing now in my 2nd month.  BG combat is of no interest to me, the rewards are inconsequential, so what would be the point.

Seems like GW2 might offer a better experience, and good news, will be available in a few weeks.

But I suspect it will let down many folks as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

(and of course, have a legion of very happy players as well)

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I understand the complaints that this game is content lite.  But complaining about the PvP is pointless.  Why the hell did you buy the game?  Did you do zero research.

Also PvP people tend to be even more critical of MMO's and are almost never happy in the genre.  Why they keep playing MMO's I'll never know.

This is the most fun I've had in an MMO/single player game in years.  Just the little details are what some of the bigger MMO's should adopt in the future.  Actual solo challenge, sabotage missions are a blast and looking for little details are all great things about this game.  Also having the side missions scattered throughout the zone without markers is another really nice little touch.  It makes it feel a bit less linear.

Also being in control of my characters build is fun.  If I fail I don't have the developers to be blame I have myself to blame.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    Originally posted by Vladamyre

You were probably the one playing everquest while i was killing in Dark Age of Camelot. Or maybe you started out in wow on a pve server?

Sounds about right, I started with EverQuest. I played DAoC for a while but again, the PvP focus turned me away. I just have very little interest in PvP in my MMO's, hell, I don't even bother with it in FPS games. They're just all the same thing, run around, shoot, die, respawn, continue respawning until someone captures the flag, back and fore, back and fore.. What's the point? It's so boring.

Well its a totally different ballgame when its pvp. Pve turns out to be the same damn boring as hell script fight after you first beat it. Easier and easier. Where as pvp is never the same, it all depends on whos behind the toons. Players tend to be smarter and harder fights then boring ass scripts. DAoC was purely a skill based game, it wasn't easy to pick that up and just start trashing people like you can with script fights. Just about every game has pvp in it, as it should. Pve bores me to tears after a while.

Pvp brings that variable that pve encounters just can't replicate. AI can only be so good. In MMOs they get repetitive very quickly and usually they make things "harder" by just having mobs hit harder of have a whole lot more HP. Pvp is always a different encounter.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    This post is no longer about TSW and should be closed or moved.
  • AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

There was ample opportunity to test the game before buying or at least to read up on the opinions of people who tested it. The lacking content outside of the mostly single player story line and the limited PvP options have been highlighted again and again, TSW has been likened to SWTOR repeatedly in that regard. So...

There's just no hope for some people I guess.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    It's FunCom; with their track record did you really expect anything less?

It's "anything more."  You meant "did you really expect anything more?"  Frankly expecting less would probably have been okay because then you wouldn't have been disappointed.  heh

Honestly, it was FunCom and I was expecting more because of Ragnar Tournquist, but from what I've heard, the STORY, which is his "baby," so to speak, is NOT the problem with this game.  Anyway....FunCom Schmun Com.  Sometimes you can get both good and bad and mediocre games from one company.  In my opinion, just look at Blizzard to see that or SoE......

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

I agree with OP on this one.  PVP is an afterthought in this game.  If they would have designed the world around the secret war between factions - the game could have been fun for a much longer term.  Warhammer Online was a great example of themepark game with this design.

The Ql10 -> QL10.4 gear grind is really, really boring from a pve perspective.  And the pvp instances are so limited that they get boring very fast as well.

Open world hunting has never gotten boring for me in any game I've played.