It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
im sure devs think it'd be pretty boring...
pretty much every enemy would be human or some sort of modern day animal.
setting would be mostly desert id imagine..
EDIT: Unless they make some Cowboys vs Aliens type cheesyness
Heres the real question, why no alternate reality WWW?
Like fallout pre nuke war was alternate 50s.
Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.
Originally posted by Robokapp well...I imagine some are a bit hesitant to make a whites vs indians faction mmo... for the same reason there is no real race based MMO. when are all the games who have playable real races set? either in deep sci-fi world war scenarios or in antiquity. or the races are dwarves, elves, humans, goblins and orcs. make an mmo with ever-so-slight hint at stereotype and start thinking of ways to make each race unique and my, how the lawsuits will flow. example: indian racial is +1 culinary skill. -100mil in courts. whites jump height 2% less than the other races. -100mil in courts. That's why. too close to social sensitive topics. Indians are still around...and wouldn't be very tolerant and understanding about this.
Total War doesn't seem to have a problem with it...
Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.
ask rockstar to make it
ill wait for a western themed mmo in the meanwhile.
Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!
that's another point...what would PvE be like? granted, games like EVE can get by with very minimal pve due to their very strong crafting and trading systems...but a new mmo born with weak pve will need absolute stellar economic and socio-economic system to function.
I mean you can have an mmo about a fishing village and the surrounding fields in dark ages Italy. If it has a super-amazing agriculture and trade system and great pvp it can work, doesn't mean it hits too many bulletpoints in the PvE area though.
basically the more I read the thread the more I get the impression that it would work but only from the angle of "generic mmo with great features, skinned to be in that timeframe". rather than "the western MMO".
I mean take eve. remove space ships, change them into cyborgs on the surface of a planet. exact same everything. just different graphics and names. would still work. but not because a cyborg mmo is awesome.
Day 1: "This town ain't big enough for the two of us"
Day 2: "Wait ... aren't you dead?"
Day 3: "again?!"
Originally posted by tank017 im sure devs think it'd be pretty boring... pretty much every enemy would be human or some sort of modern day animal. setting would be mostly desert id imagine.. pretty bland. EDIT: Unless they make some Cowboys vs Aliens type cheesyness
Not only devs ... i think it is pretty boring too.
But it can be spiced up adding steam punk elements, undead .. or what-not.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....
Would be something new but it wouldnt have much of a market outside North America.
Europeans dont care about cowboys.
I have trouble thinking of a less appealing scenario.
1. The genocide that happends to the native americans.
2. The stealing of land by the invasion force.
3. The first form of concentration camps in history - reservations.
4. The enslavement of black people.
5. Basically no laws. Murder as "penatly" for stealing horses. Murder by mob whenever the mob feels like it.
6. All the other forms of stupidity, too.
Seriously, thanks, but no thanks.
Originally posted by Dragonantis Would be something new but it wouldnt have much of a market outside North America. Europeans dont care about cowboys.
probably because european history books tend not to omit the bits the NA history books prefer to ignore. probably best to leave it at that. all things considered.
Originally posted by Adamantine I have trouble thinking of a less appealing scenario. 1. The genocide that happends to the native americans. 2. The stealing of land by the invasion force. 3. The first form of concentration camps in history - reservations. 4. The enslavement of black people. 5. Basically no laws. Murder as "penatly" for stealing horses. Murder by mob whenever the mob feels like it. 6. All the other forms of stupidity, too. Seriously, thanks, but no thanks.
well, thats glossing over it a bit, but yeah.. generally that reason.
this would probably make a great sand box mmo
land rush claim land make a house or a mine or a town
hire players to be shieriff's and deputies to control town
railway player constructed
and if you made all races the same its very difficult to do a lawsuit against that
becasuse if they took you to court they are acctualy the one making a problem with the race and trying to say one race is different from another where as you are saying everyone is the same
Perhaps because there aren't that many weapons and fighting styles for a mmorpg?
I can only really see two classes.
Gunslinger with a rifle, revolver and dynamite.
Indian with tomahawk, dagger and bow.
Fallout New Vegas had a very wild west feeling (to much in my opinion); a scifi wild west mmorpg would be a better idea. (capt. Bravestar)
Originally posted by jusomdude I'm not sure at which I would be more pissed at if I were a Native American. Being portrayed as an enemy in the video game... or not being included in a game taking place in my native homeland.
by now their probably resigned to it, its been happening for hundreds of years after all.
Yeah it would have to be a sandbox MMO thats for sure..
I would love to see a wild west MMORPG.. and im from europe.. we love a good wild west film
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky
Just about everyone wants to make another WoW. WoW has elves and magic. There's no magic or elves in Wild West. Besides, Westerns aren't as popular as they used to be. Maybe if somehow you could fit zombies into western setting, since that seems the rage now.
I just don't see a AAA (or anything with decent funding) Wild West MMO coming any time soon. Maybe something low budget like Darkfall or Mortal, or one of those F2P type games.
The Wild West would be a dream set for any mmo studio, actually, when you think about it :
- huge, huge terrains, without the need to populate them with cities, etc (= budget redirected to more important game features)
- the "small town" philosophy (local news, local plots, local problems etc) would be perfect for the "quest hub" classical design type
- lots of faction/social archetype possibilites (bankers, robbers, cowboys, tribe-type people *yes indians*, lawmen, outlaws, entertainers, doctors, etc)
- lots of class possibilities (shooter, brawler, alchemist, specialist, mercenary, hunter, etc)
- infinite extension possibilities (xPac 1 : region 1, xPac 2 : region 2, etc... or time based : xPac 1 : wild era, xPac 2 : industralization era, etc)
- lower need on art resources : there are fewer materials (wood, rock, sand, burnt vegetation) than in other "old times" ambiences
- lots of mini games possibilities (poker, drink, wild hunt, etc) for casual audience satisfaction
- openness to mystical stuff (indian magic, voodoo, ghosts, monsters in places where nobody goes, etc)
- can be very group oriented / dungeons / raids (outlaw den, ghost town cleaning, undermine worker rescue, etc)
- super open to sandbox (special desert region reserved for player created towns, houses, etc, à la SWG)
- the scenario could fairly avoid sensible subjects such as the indians problem, slavery etc., and even turn it to good use by proposing to rewrite history (help slaves to escape a farm, fight besides indians against invading army, etc)
- pvp could be easily implement every latest inovation in the genre (invasions by outlaws, factions growing their territory dominance across towns, politics, duels, opposite faction town infiltration missions, etc)
- etc, etc ........... And you don't need to be realistic on combat (a brawler can take out a shooter, just like in any other mmo, just give him the proper tools)
Clearly this is a perfect set for a successful mmo, targetted at several audiences. If I was leading a mmo studio with a budget, I'll definitely jump on that opportunity.
***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****
I've been yearning for a good historic or pre historic MMO for years. We've had a couple Roman era MMOs but they were pretty aweful (Roma Victor and later Gods and Heroes).
I think the reason we're not getting any is the same reason we're not getting any AAA sandbox MMOs: studios are broke and nobody wants to take any chances by deviating too far from the WoW format.