Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of Thrones MMO

DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

So first off, I know they are making a "mmo"...and if you've spent more then 20 seconds on the GOT page...you'll know its utter crap.

Second off, I know movies made into games usually turn out like the game listed above... but for the sake of this discussion, lets pretend it could be done right.

I don't know how to do a spoiler alert hidy thingy, so if you havn't seen the TV show. dont' read beyond this point

Aight getting down to business. I recently burned through what is out of that TV show...and OMG!!! I love the world and the lore, and it seems PERFECT for a game/MMO, (a well done one) the "wall" with the white walkers and giants...and dragons.. I mean its got everything,

A few contraptions, a little magic, some sweet fighting. It just seems like the perfect place for a large AAA MMO...

But that got me thinking even more, why in MMO's are you allowed to go everywhere? I mean you have access to just about everything in a standard fantasy MMO, everything from the prison to the throne room... 

I was thinking (keeping in mind all of this is based on the GOT universe) that you could join the game have a standard starting area, blah blah blah... but when it came to certain area's only certain people have access, like if you want to go beyond the northern wall you would have to join up as a black gaurd (I think thats what they are called)...but then you could only stay on the northern wall and do quest related to that area.

If you wanted to go south then you would reroll another toon and have that guy dedicated to something else. I think it could really stretch out the life of a game, and allow for more intresting quest.

Anyways, I'm just on a slight high from the TV series.. but its probably the best fantasy world I've seen in a long time.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

Comments

• mmo-icemmo-ice Member Posts: 43
    Its still to early to tell at this point. There is a lot of potential in the Game of Thrones IP its all about how it is used. But after seeing there sing player RPG although made by diffrent people I dont have my hopes set very high.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Of course its crap, its a F2P browser game, yes?

If you want a true Game of Thrones experience check out the mod for Crusader Kings 2.

Most immersive strategy game ever.  

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Dewm

So first off, I know they are making a "mmo"...and if you've spent more then 20 seconds on the GOT page...you'll know its utter crap.

Second off, I know movies made into games usually turn out like the game listed above... but for the sake of this discussion, lets pretend it could be done right.

I don't know how to do a spoiler alert hidy thingy, so if you havn't seen the TV show. dont' read beyond this point

Aight getting down to business. I recently burned through what is out of that TV show...and OMG!!! I love the world and the lore, and it seems PERFECT for a game/MMO, (a well done one) the "wall" with the white walkers and giants...and dragons.. I mean its got everything,

A few contraptions, a little magic, some sweet fighting. It just seems like the perfect place for a large AAA MMO...

But that got me thinking even more, why in MMO's are you allowed to go everywhere? I mean you have access to just about everything in a standard fantasy MMO, everything from the prison to the throne room... 

I was thinking (keeping in mind all of this is based on the GOT universe) that you could join the game have a standard starting area, blah blah blah... but when it came to certain area's only certain people have access, like if you want to go beyond the northern wall you would have to join up as a black gaurd (I think thats what they are called)...but then you could only stay on the northern wall and do quest related to that area.

If you wanted to go south then you would reroll another toon and have that guy dedicated to something else. I think it could really stretch out the life of a game, and allow for more intresting quest.

Anyways, I'm just on a slight high from the TV series.. but its probably the best fantasy world I've seen in a long time.

LOL.. i have seen both episodes 2 weeks ago and the same thing come up to my mind.

This could be the best AAA MMO ever if done right :D Maps are actually already done for the Intro movie thats played every time.

But the problem is that rights have been sold to some crap low budget company thats just gonna fuck it up and wants to grab some fast easy money now when its popular. Too bad.  

I cant imagine what old Blizzard or some other Company with decent budget could of have done. I mean.... Game of Thrones was just made to be an epic MMO. Design and everything.

But about that rerroling to acces everything is not gonna work in an MMO. Its an ok idea for an Singleplayer RPG.

But people would flame this idea to death.   MMO's work best with Open worlds where you can get to every corner of map with 1 character without hitting invisible wall or loading screens.  Only if you were thinking like in WoW where.. Horde / Alliance have only separate quests but World is still accesable with same character ? Like alliance can enter Durotar but it cant quest there ?

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by gasperk

LOL.. i have seen both episodes 2 weeks ago and the same thing come up to my mind.

This could be the best AAA MMO ever if done right :D Maps are actually already done for the Intro movie thats played every time.

But the problem is that rights have been sold to some crap low budget company thats just gonna fuck it up and wants to grab some fast easy money now when its popular. Too bad.  

I cant imagine what old Blizzard or some other Company with decent budget could of have done. I mean.... Game of Thrones was just made to be an epic MMO. Design and everything.

But about that rerroling to acces everything is not gonna work in an MMO. Its an ok idea for an Singleplayer RPG.

But people would flame this idea to death.   MMO's work best with Open worlds where you can get to every corner of map with 1 character without hitting invisible wall or loading screens.  Only if you were thinking like in WoW where.. Horde / Alliance have only separate quests but World is still accesable with same character ? Like alliance can enter Durotar but it cant quest there ?

Well I was thinking something to the effect, where maybe you can acces "north of the wall" but quest don't become available up there, You could still kill stuff, but more in a grinding fashion then a questing one.

Or you could join up with the blackguard and do party quest up there, fighting giants, or attacking villages of Wildlings.

But once you join the blackgaurd if you try to venture to other villages south, unless its for a quest then the "guards" of that city/village would try and attack you. 

And something about the TV series that I didn't even hit on, the whole aspect of "the winter is coming" and seasons that last several years.. or the night that lasted a generation.. MAN that is some freakin sweet stuff, that I just havn't seen in a fantasy setting.

I guess I am just amazed, after the hundreds of games I've played, the books I've read, the movies I've watched... I was still able to watch this show, and be like "whoa! that is a freakin sweet concept.. I've never seen someone do that before"

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!

I guess I am just amazed, after the hundreds of games I've played, the books I've read, the movies I've watched... I was still able to watch this show, and be like "whoa! that is a freakin sweet concept.. I've never seen someone do that before"

Yeah, i had the exact same reaction :D

I loved Tolkien's Lotr, but this ... this is on whole new level :D

R.R. Martin is one special and crazy guy in his head to come up with something like that.

Plus i loved that its not all just about wars and fighting.  Its so much more with all the backstabing, betrayal, love story's,

Oh, and dont get me starting on the Cast. They picked just the verry best actors, some more and some less or some completely unknown ones. But they did an excellent job.

Too bad Season 3 is so far away :( getting really impatient :(

Originally posted by gasperk

Yeah, i had the exact same reaction :D

I loved Tolkien's Lotr, but this ... this is on whole new level :D

R.R. Martin is one special and crazy guy in his head to come up with something like that.

Plus i loved that its not all just about wars and fighting.  Its so much more with all the backstabing, betrayal, love story's,

Oh, and dont get me starting on the Cast. They picked just the verry best actors, some more and some less or some completely unknown ones. But they did an excellent job.

Too bad Season 3 is so far away :( getting really impatient :(

They did do an excellent job, hahah my wife was pretty pissed when the Kahl died.

• arcanistarcanist Member Posts: 163

GOT mmo. hell no. please no. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. what is there to do in GOT. fighting, sex, politics, sex, exploring the world, sex, sex, assasinations and sex.

now asoiaf would be a much better mmo. theres a lot less sex, theres a sh--load more lore and it is more accurate when compared to the source material

are any of these characters in GOT.

the bastard of bolton, young griff, the red viper of dorne, asha greyjoy, jeyne westerling, tormund giantsbane, euron greyjoy, etc. etc,

not to mention the great history that has barely been mentioned in the show. the dance of dragons, faith militent, nymeria [not the wolf], etc, etc.

the show even leaves out the important backstory. 99% of the house of the undying was cut or changed, the tower of joy was left out completely.

hell, the show even kills off characters important to the story. like drogos bloodrider.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

I think we need to stop making games based on books/TV/Movies.  Tends to end up badly most of the time.  Do we really need to remember our favorite characters or storylines as being screwed up by someones failed attempt at a game?

Also, I've read the books.  There is so much going on that it would really be difficult to do it justice and if you're not going to do it right it will just piss off the fans.

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

First of all, if you read the books you'd know GRRM is destroying the series. And good riddance for taking so focking long writing them because he wanted to make money off TV shows etc.

Second, using well known book/movie IPs never works anymore; they always crash and burn and never live up to the hype. (hell maybe thats just all MMO's nowadays) So its possible someone told this to GRRM and he made a decision that will bring him the most money right now and give him a good excuse for why the game was horrible. "Oh, the game company just did an awful job"

[mod edit]

I refuse to watch the TV show untill GRRM dies, so I have something to cheer me up while Im watching.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    An IP is not a game.
  • SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

@belarion

Don't watch the shows.  They gut so much it's not even funny.  The back story was almost completely dropped.  It was so bad I refuse to read his latest.   Giving the green light to that horror show illuminated how much GRRM just wants money.  Regarding GRRM, I remember when Robert Jordan died before finishing WOT he got pissed that people kept telling him to hurry up.  He was so incensed.  Kept saying that he was hard at work on Dance with Dragons and that we should just be lucky to get to read it.  Come to find out three years later that he was in talks with HBO the whole time. 

What a jerk.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Silax

What a jerk.

You have disturbingly strong opinions on the subject ... if you want a mythology untarnished by profit, you need to write it for yourself.

• kidkiediskidkiedis Member Posts: 6

What OP describes is not an mmo, it's just a singleplayer sandbox. Quests and XP and raids. What's so "mmo" and SOIF here?

SOIF is all about civil war, and characters in different factions, and what have war made to them. And saving damsels? It's absolutely opposit to what GRRM described.

So I'm more interested in what Bigpoint tries to offer. Endless PvP war. 8-P

Originally posted by Belarion

First of all, if you read the books you'd know GRRM is destroying the series. And good riddance for taking so focking long writing them because he wanted to make money off TV shows etc.

Second, using well known book/movie IPs never works anymore; they always crash and burn and never live up to the hype. (hell maybe thats just all MMO's nowadays) So its possible someone told this to GRRM and he made a decision that will bring him the most money right now and give him a good excuse for why the game was horrible. "Oh, the game company just did an awful job"

Third, Im better than all of you twats because I read the first book like 8 years ago. Because I READ! Go swallow a 12gauge now please.

I refuse to watch the TV show untill GRRM dies, so I have something to cheer me up while Im watching.

Oh you so hardcore... you can read ????image

And ofc. here we go again... destroying, gonna burn, fucked it up.. blah blah blah... omg pathetic.

Please tell me more how you would do it better ?

EDIT::  Story from the book cant ever be the same as a Movie / TV show.  You get it ?

Originally posted by Belarion

[mod edit]

I don't really see how you can have an opinion if you havn't even seen the TV show..?

Originally posted by arcanist

GOT mmo. hell no. please no. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. what is there to do in GOT. fighting, sex, politics, sex, exploring the world, sex, sex, assasinations and sex.

now asoiaf would be a much better mmo. theres a lot less sex, theres a sh--load more lore and it is more accurate when compared to the source material

are any of these characters in GOT.

the bastard of bolton, young griff, the red viper of dorne, asha greyjoy, jeyne westerling, tormund giantsbane, euron greyjoy, etc. etc,

not to mention the great history that has barely been mentioned in the show. the dance of dragons, faith militent, nymeria [not the wolf], etc, etc.

the show even leaves out the important backstory. 99% of the house of the undying was cut or changed, the tower of joy was left out completely.

hell, the show even kills off characters important to the story. like drogos bloodrider.

So fighting, politics, exploring, assasinations and sex arn't the makings of a good game?.... I don't even know if I'm supposed to take this post serously? thats how laughable it is.

Originally posted by maplestone
    An IP is not a game.

I would agree there, a IP is and IP..

But I also remember when Lord of the Rings came out, the fan base that read the books where all up in arms and just soo bent out of shape on the stuff that wasn't included..

And then the game came out... and people still mock that...

But LoTR is a fantastic set of movies..and is a halfway decent game.

and as far as GOT goes, I havn't read the books...but without the comments on here from the fanbois, I could tell you they wouldn't include alot of stuff that was in the books...thats just the way it goes.

But at the same time that doesn't mean it won't make a good game. And the "world" that is there is just so intriguing... I want to run around the world and explore more.

And this is all in the context of the game done right.

And if they made a MMO out of it, they could actually include a TON of backstory that they didn't include in the TV show.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

@belarion

Don't watch the shows.  They gut so much it's not even funny.  The back story was almost completely dropped.  It was so bad I refuse to read his latest.   Giving the green light to that horror show illuminated how much GRRM just wants money.  Regarding GRRM, I remember when Robert Jordan died before finishing WOT he got pissed that people kept telling him to hurry up.  He was so incensed.  Kept saying that he was hard at work on Dance with Dragons and that we should just be lucky to get to read it.  Come to find out three years later that he was in talks with HBO the whole time. 

What a jerk.

Not to mention he wrote and published Hedge Knight while people were desperately waiting for a continuation of Song of Fire and Ice.  He needs to lay off the poggy bait and start acting like a real author.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by maplestone
    An IP is not a game.

I would agree there, a IP is and IP..

But I also remember when Lord of the Rings came out, the fan base that read the books where all up in arms and just soo bent out of shape on the stuff that wasn't included..

And then the game came out... and people still mock that...

But LoTR is a fantastic set of movies..and is a halfway decent game.

and as far as GOT goes, I havn't read the books...but without the comments on here from the fanbois, I could tell you they wouldn't include alot of stuff that was in the books...thats just the way it goes.

But at the same time that doesn't mean it won't make a good game. And the "world" that is there is just so intriguing... I want to run around the world and explore more.

And this is all in the context of the game done right.

And if they made a MMO out of it, they could actually include a TON of backstory that they didn't include in the TV show.

It wasn't just the book fans but also the massive popularity the movies caused.  Also keep in mind that DDO also relyed on an IP also.  It's hard to find any game these days without some sort of IP influence.  SWTOR, GW2 (if you consider GW an IP), DDO, LotRO, Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls Online, WoW (The warcraft IP alone was what made me ever consider WoW as I was against MMOs at the time), Neverwinter... list can go on and on.

But as for the game though, Game of Thrones could be great if it was done like EVE where player politics and sandbox PvP ruled the game along with the fact if they didn't make it a browser MMO as I think that would severely limit the capabilities.  But wish in one hand n shit in the other, I am betting that this will just be a game that is purely relying on the IP for a quick buck. 

Love the books, enjoy the series, the single player comp game looks atrocious and this browser MMO will not be on my radar.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

I was introduced to the books in 2002 and went through the whole "Wouldn't it be totally awesome?" phase that a lot of newcomers to the franchise are now going through.

Then you come to realize you've devoted all this time, words, effort, and thought to a series whose author cares far less about the story he has created than you do ... aside perhaps from the fact that he enjoys the personal and professional lfiestyle the franshise's success and popularity have brought him. He's a low-key scifi/fantasy/comic book geek whose professional passion really lies in working with other geeks to put together novellas, short story collections, anthologies, etc. Ice & Fire pays the bills, and while it's all that most fans care about, he doesn't have nearly the same relationship with it that Rowling has with Harry Potter or Steven Erikson has with the Malazan setting and so on.

In any case, the setting to me has always been best-suited for a "spawn" of Crusader Kings and Total War type of game. The world has a tremendous "butterfly effect" which renders it difficult to make a more freeform story at the personal level believable within the confines of the world known to exist. Above a certain point of advancement the player's actions would literally break the world or have to be artificially limited in a way that felt extremely contrived. If you're just looking for a Medieval sandbox to play in, you don't need the Game of Thrones setting for that.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Ambros123
    @belarion Don't watch the shows.  They gut so much it's not even funny.  The back story was almost completely dropped.  It was so bad I refuse to read his latest.   Giving the green light to that horror show illuminated how much GRRM just wants money.  Regarding GRRM, I remember when Robert Jordan died before finishing WOT he got pissed that people kept telling him to hurry up.  He was so incensed.  Kept saying that he was hard at work on Dance with Dragons and that we should just be lucky to get to read it.  Come to find out three years later that he was in talks with HBO the whole time.  What a jerk.
    Not to mention he wrote and published Hedge Knight while people were desperately waiting for a continuation of Song of Fire and Ice.  He needs to lay off the poggy bait and start acting like a real author.

I think what rankled some folks, myself included, was at the end of book 3, GRR had a note about how he had to cut out so much that he almost had the next book done.

As far as the show goes, when they ADD stuff into the storyline (Renly and Loras being homosexuals, for instance) and then say "We had to cut [this part] (whatever absent part being referred to) to make it timely." just gets on my nerves. And GRR just sits back and watches.

As far the IP (any IP) as a MMO... They will never match *my* imagination and do it "wrong." There is some leeway, of course, but I don't count on much coming close to how *I* think it should be done :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Its going to be a browser game. Although I love the world of GOT I stopped caring about this title as soon as I saw "browser".. the only thing worse is a facebook game.

• arcanistarcanist Member Posts: 163

So fighting, politics, exploring, assasinations and sex arn't the makings of a good game?.... I don't even know if I'm supposed to take this post serously? thats how laughable it is.

i never said the tv show was bad. just that the books are a lot better. and that the tv show has too much sex.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Reminds me of the Paul and Storm video "Write Like the Wind".

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

All of you are forgetting one main very important thing. 

THE WORLD IS TO SMALL.

Sorry but even if they made the world larger then it was and took away all of the small cities and farms going from winterfell to kings landing It would still be to small. They would have to make the creator do some 1:1 ratio map sizing. 

I love the show, Especially when the fake dragon finally got his crown. I just could't see it being made without some .hack vr thou seriously.