Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

I was interested because it was Star Wars and because it was BioWare.  The reputation of both names peaked my interest.

Do you currently play this game?:

No.  I left once I hit level 30 or so.

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why:

One day I just didn't feel like logging in.  When I eventually did log in I just couldn't get myself to do the same thing I'd been doing.  It seemed that every zone involved meeting some people that needed help to control the zone.  It was all so scripted. Although I had "choice" it didn't feel like my own story - it was theirs, and to be honest - it wasn't that good.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I currently play GW1 and am looking forward to Guild Wars 2.  They are different enough to keep my interest and seem to take a lot of the mundane out of the traditional MMO experience.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I love talking about MMO's and typically respond when something seems interesting.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

Hi Mike,

Yes I was, Im a big fan of Star Wars and of BW

Yes

Good guild, and its a decent game. the things I like about the game outwheigh the bad

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

The Secret World, bought it a few weeks ago, it was recomended by a friend, I wont be subscribing after the first free month.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Today is mainenence day and the Sw-Tor servers and web site are offline

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Yes

No

I quit because I can no longer justify paying a sub fee with so many great subless MMOs out there atm.  The game, imo, was not worth the sub at endgame.  Playing multiple alts to see their stories eventually got old because of the same quests.

LOTRO is currently my game of choice.  I love how they do F2P and a great community always keeps me coming back to that game.

I'm still interested in playing the game.  The main reason I quit was the subcription.  The annoucement of F2P really made me happy and I will play this again when it comes out.  This of course is assuming that I like their F2P model.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Not really, I am a fan of Star Wars but I didn't have high hopes for this game because even before it came out it looked like another boring grinder with no new game mechanics.

Do you currently play this game?: Nope

If no, please explain why: From looking at the game site at the content list and all the reviews on this forum, it's as bad as or worse than I expected, and therefore shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Eve Online because it has unique, complex and difficult gameplay mechanics and an awesome sandbox environment, and Age of Conan because it allows your female characters to be almost completely nude :)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I posted on this because your thread title caught my eye in the "recently edited" thread list, and I don't post often in SWTOR forum threads because I don't bother to play it.

Where's the any key?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: I was very interested, because it's Star Wars and I love the IP. 

Do you currently play this game?: no

If no, please explain why: My character got a bug which would not allow me to advance my light side points any  longer.  Since gaining light side points is integral to character advancement, I saw no point in continuing my subscription.  I cancelled my subscription and gave them one month to fix the bug.  At the end of that month, my character was still bugged so I allowed my subscription to run out.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I am not currently playing an mmo since I have played most AAA mmos and see no point in playing a themepark past max level.  Raiding, long gear grinds, and meaningless pvp does not interest me.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I do not post here frequently, but when I do it is usually in response to a query of some kind.  Otherwise, I see no point in beating a dead horse.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Not really.  Only got interested around November or December of last year.

Yes, my wife and I both play.

*** We are having fun.  ***

Not applicable

SWtOR.  We enjoy the class story lines.

I don't post often, but I read the forums alot.  I usually post to answer people's questions or ask my own.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Yes, I was.  I really enjoy the SW universe; I loved KOTOR; Bioware was an exciting company. 

No

--

The game lacked a sense of interaction with the world, for me.  Certain RP elements, like emoticons, sitting in chairs, and open-world interaction with others were limited.  The end-game was grindy and unappealing.  It felt like all stick and no carrot.  

LOTRO, WOW: They are both games where I can jump in quickly, have some fun, get something accomplished, and log out to get back to summertime activities.  I never played WOW until recently, so it's nice to have access to tons of content and a large online support network.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I rarely post because this game was a let-down.  It was a good game but it didn't offer an online world experience that I was looking for.  I rarely post because, if I don't have something good to say, I try not to say anything at all!

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes, I was interested in a new Star Wars MMO, and an MMO finally having a story that I was a part of and not just a lazy backdrop of the game.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes.

If yes, please explain why:  I play it because I enjoy it. I love the Star Wars universe, I love the atmosphere of the game, I love that there's a story most of all. I love that they actually put effort into making an MMORPG that was exactly what that term (MMORPG) looks like, and stands for.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  I'll be playing Guild Wars 2, I love the beta experience so far. Other then that I don't.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I've noticed that I have posted in this subforum more frequently because I see tons of trolling and incorrect information being posted on this game, so I tend to come and join such topics in order to provide more accurate information on the topics where this is an issue.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Absolutely. I thought the Idea of SWTOR was an amazing concept and setting for an MMO.

Do you currently play this game?: No.

If no, please explain why: The game had terrible optimizations and lacked in-game features that a hyped up MMO launching in 2012 would have. Had this have come out around vanillia WoW; the features would have been the best. All-in-all, it was not worth $15/month. Along with the fact that the number of players is dwindling, and no Cross-server functions are being implemented; it would be tedious to find players for group content. When it goes F2P I will return.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TSW, EvE, Planetside. I bought the LTS for TSW; and EvE will always have my heart. It's hard not too go away from it now

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Curiousity about the state of the game. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• freakkyfreakky Member UncommonPosts: 113

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Played Swg long ago and want to play jedi or bounty hunter. Liked all the star wars lore and story. Nice videos they had helped bit.

Do you currently play this game?:No

If no, please explain why: Got bored of it. The story was fine but I'm more about gameplay then story. Didn't feel like anything that new and not much content for end game. Could even get myself to level up an alt pass 30.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None right now. Played d3 for bit but now waiting on gw2.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  When I'm bored or looking for new game to play.

I get the feeling this info is going be sold or used for article?

Good lucks and have fun. 
  • DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes, it was both stars wars and bioware.  It could have been great

Do you currently play this game?:  Nope

If no, please explain why:  Played in the beta but it neither felt like a good game nor did it even feel like an MMO.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  None atm.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  With no MMO to play, fourm posting has become my MMO.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I was.  I am a huge Star Wars fan and always want to play in a Star Wars MMO.

No.

Because the game has NO replay value to me.  I prefer to find a sense of wonder and discovery in my MMO and that means different leveling paths for at the LEAST 2 characters.  A good MMO gives you tons of options and doesn't make it feel like a grind.  Mobs should seem alive and not like cardboard cutouts just placed here and there to give you xp to grind.  Questing should be fluid, fun and worthwhile, not just a hamster wheel to the next level.  Same with combat.  Combat should pulse and pound and offer variation all through out the game.  SPACE in Star Wars should be free form and vast and it's own game, basically.  Gear Grinds are a thing of the past and that endgame needs to go.

Right now I'm just hopping around between Lotro, Rift, and Vanguard until GW2 comes out.  TSW almost had me, but suffers from the same stupid problem that SWTOR has.  Extreme Linearity and very shallow game systems that look deep on the surface but really aren't.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  

How pissed off I was that they pulled the wool over our eyes on this one and that Bioware of all companies didn't "get it".  I try to be subjective and warn others and hope that EA/Bioware reads the forums and makes the necessary changes in their game.

• mykediemartmykediemart Member Posts: 5

Yes, I like starwars, liked bioware games. Looked interesting

No, I will 

I will return becasue I have a lot of friends playing it

I moved and had a lot of realworld things to take care of. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I currently play World of Warcaft even tho it has little to offer, I just pvp and mess around but my sub is paid for 6 months 

I almost never post, Im just bored.   I liked Swtor because it engaged  while leveling my toon, didnt do much end game as I had to move and attend real life stuff. I leveled to end game faster then most my friends and pugging didnt appeal to me. Friends still play and id like to try the end game stuff with them.  I agree that it lacked  a lot of basic mmo things we were used to "groupfinder" ect. but that is retified. 

• Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41

Yes. It was Star Wars and based on The Old Republic Era.

Yes

Because its Star Wars and not that bad a game. Plus there is no other alternative that interests me at this moment.

I play the FTP Rift. I play it because Rift is a pretty solid game however not a big fan of their Races. Petty but true.

I usually dont because of all the negative posts that tend to follow whenever you want to say something good.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Mildly interested since Im a big fan of some Bioware games (Mass Effect series), but not really a fan of Star Wars universe.

No

Its seemed like a boring clone for me without any fresh ideas, boring quests, horrible combat system and very outdated graphics. Nothing at all to keep my interest, so I gave up after 20 levels.

The Secret World. It has everything what SWToR lacks

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

"I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed."

Were you interested in this game (SWTOR) before it came out? Why? Why not?:

- No. I got an early beta invite and it didn't take long for me to decide it just wasn't for me.

- No.

- N/A

- See first reply, above.

- LOTRO, TSW

- LOTRO for the art, the good company of my kin, the cheerfulness of The Shire, leveling yet another alt.

- TSW for the story, the art, the humor, the puzzles, the story, the story, the story... ;)

- I don't post in this subforum. I did today to answer your survey.

• SteazySteazy Member Posts: 39

Yes, verry interested.  Huge Star Wars fan!

No

Really didnt like the feel of the planets being quest hubs instead of having any cool lasting content.

Dayz ( Though I dont really consider it a mmo) , I love the sandbox make your own kinda fun gameplay.  Waiting for GW2.

This is my only post in it since stopped playing tor.

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yeah, I liked KOTOR.

Do you currently play this game?: Sometimes on the free trial

If yes, please explain why: It's free and I like a good single player story from time to time.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EVE Online because I love the social aspects of the game. I also like it's depth and complexity.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Comic relief. I read this sub-forum so much because I'm interested in how much changed from concept to beta to final product.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Of course i was, it had A LOT of hype AND it's friken Star Wars ffs! multiple universes..space ships...jedy....the force....so much lore....so much potential....it could have, SHOULD have been, so much more.

Nope, couldn't even get to end level.

the worst part was how "rat mazed" all the zones felt (unscalabe cliffs everywere) and how ridiculous the space aspect of this game is. the cutscenes got really old very fast. it just felt like a single player game. the pvp felt very static and incredibly imbalanced. Playing a sorc felt like God mode compared to most other classes. no freedom anywere. armor sets graphics unfinished. world pvp was a joke. the worlds were soo incredibly small, i've see BG maps beigger then most of those "worlds". the ship was nothing more then a static "house" that doubled as a shuttle. altogether this game got boring very fast. it was just a very bad very shallow version of WoW, with a Star Wars skin on it.

nothing. waiting for something good to come arround. will probably try GW2.

i was very vocal about TOR back when i was playing. nobody was listening...to any of us.....now it's just water under the long forgotten bridge.

• AnthonyMSAnthonyMS Member Posts: 33
    Yes and no. I LOVED KOTOR and KOTOR2 so I was excited for SWTOR; but, I've been cynical of the whole "This brand new MMO is going to come out of the womb and drive a stake into WoW's heart killing it once and for all" hype machine that has been happening LONG before SWTOR since about LotRO's launch.

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: I liked it enough to purchase it digitally but not enough to subscribe to it monthly.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Recently: TSW (my account expired 8/2) Subscribed to: SOE All Access (SOE offered 25% discount to memberships which brought 3 months of All Access to roughly $14 per month so I subscribed to test to see if I get my 1500 SC from being subscribed to all three (EQ's 500, EQ2's 500 and DCUO's 500).) Playing: Nothing until 8/14 apparently (VG goes F2P)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Answering these questions.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Not in the least because it was as WoW clone as you can get, even the skill descriptions were the same wording.  I quit WoW to do something different.

Do you currently play this game?: Hell NO!

If no, please explain why: Played it for 2 months because I had nothing better to do and contrary to popular belief, leveling in a new themepark game is still kind of fun.  Its the end game where things go to hell.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Currently playing TSW, my 2nd run through.  Hoping new content gets added that isnt grindy or GW2 releases, whichever comes first.  I also play DayZ still but only like once a week with a good friend of mine.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I normally dont post here unless someone posts something informative and I feel I need to respond.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Yes, I have played every Star Wars game that came out for the PC.  I am a collector of RPG manuals and own every Star Wars rpg manual except for the campaigns.  I played SWG and looked forward to playing the next Star Wars rpg.  I have KoTOR 1 & 2 still installed on my hard drive and continue to play them.

No.

N/A

I experience lag and performance issues with the engine.  I found the tools less than robust and underdeveloped to my standards.  I felt the LFG should have been linked to the quest journal so you could see who else was on that quest or flagged a quest as lfg and possibly auto join others on that quest.  The crafting felt watered down, only one gear set per class per level.  The variety was hidden behind the reverse engineering system, a system I feel promoted a ”just do without it” mentality rather than a healthy player economy as intended.  The spread of the one set per level, gives the negative feeling of never being fully equipped.  The goal was to make the player anticipate the next gear item, but that positive feeling was not achieved.  The textures were overly complicated, something that I felt subconsciously diminished the immersion or believability of the game.  Go into a capital city and look at a building wall, then look at the wall of the room you are in.  All SWTOR texture look busy, for busy’s sake.  The game world level design is basically 2D.  Having multistory buildings may confuse some players with the location of quest objective, but it will make the world feel real.  Why have a sky scraper if you can’t go to the top and jump off?  Take a look at the starting zone of WoW’s Blood Elves and look at the level 5 guest in the tower.  In the Commando starting zone main city, as an explorer I can get to the top of the hills that separate the different low level questing zones.  These hilltops are decorated with docile “Woolly Mammoth” type mobs.  And a deserted taxis platform.  The platform is not even decorated with littered objects, its placement screams to me poor level design.

Fallen Earth for the complexity of the crafting recipes.

I respond to the “Current Forum Activity”, “Our Latest Features”, "Latest MMORPG.com News", and "Columnists" list.  I rarely seek out a particular sub forum unless it is mentioned in a news item or an ad catches my eye.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

No.  It was clear early on that this was not going to be the MMO I'm looking for (i.e. SWG2).  

No. 

It doesn't appear to offer any of the features that I consider essential to a subscription MMO.  

None, for sundry reasons. Fallen Earth was the last game I played for any length of time. 

I post infrequently on this subforum. My interest was piqued by the F2P announcement and I am trying to determine whether or not the game will be worth the effort to download. In addition, the degree of passion and vitriol here makes for entertaining reading. 

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

Yes, It was Star Wars as MMO, super-exciting.

Nope

x

I've heard a lot of negative feedback about game. I didn't really wanna to spend money for next overhyped WoW killer  - when it obviously wasn't successful.

I'm waiting for Guild Wars 2, it will be out soon. I played original Guild Wars and it was my favourite game of all, and now the sequel comes. It's natural that I'm interested in it. 

I don't post on this forums as I wasn't playing this game. Now I came here to read some opinions about incoming F2P.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

Very Interested.  So interested that I co-led a guild created specificaully for the game.

Why- Because I thought the company putting it out (Bioware) was such a great company at the time that I thought this was going to be a high quality game.  Even though the IP (Star Wars ) was not my thing, I figured the IP had so much appeal that It was going to gather huge interest - which it did. 

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why:  I was very dissapointed in the lack of MMO features in the game.  Lack of content too.  I am a veteran of many games - I have lots of experience with launches.  For years I watched as the developers changed direction and a lot of times they would try to sweep things under the rug.  For example launch was announced of Spring 2011.  When Spring of 2011 came and went they magically tried to say 2011 with out any explanation of why.  They tried to act like they never said anything.  I was lied to by Origin on when my game was shipped . This deception continued on through other things but I am not listing it here because it would make this to lenghtly.  Lets just say I do not trust Bioware and EA anymore.   Their customer service was the worst I have ever seen in a game.  I really think its a shame because I enjoyed a lot of the game - they just needed to focus on stuff that was more important to players.  If they focused less on "story" and "voice-overs" and more on community / content/ getting people together and playing they would have kept me.   That and by being more honest - I will never go back to them because of their lack of integrity.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Currently playing The Secret World and EQ2. 

TSW is innovative and I love the setting.  The instances are amazing.  Its funny because I feel cutscenes should be limited in MMo's however these are amazingly done.  The story is engaging and I feel like what I am doing makes sense in this setting. Exploration is encouraged. The developers and customer service have been open and honest at all times.

EQ2 has the most content of any game I have ever played.  So many aspects of the game allow and promote intereaction among players, yet there are things to do while you solo too. There has never been I time where I have run out of things to do or see.  Sony has the best customer service of any game I have played.  They are ruining the game with their cash shop i feel.  Their housing system is wonderful and they are always improving their game.  I wish every company put the effort into their game the way Sony has done with EQ2 - So many things I would like to add - but I do not want to write a wall of text.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  If you mean SWTOR  forum I will tell you that I sometimes post here to educate people. I do not flame or troll and rarely do post. If you just got the people who are still playing SWTOR, you wouldnt see two sides of the coin.  I spent 150$ plus a couple months subscription.  I have a right to comment on how I feel about a game that did not live up to what I feel I payed for it.  I feel that Mike B, you are really hurt by all the people posting negative things about SWTOR, but you need to ignore it or understand it.  People have felt ripped off by this game. As long as they are not  flamers, trolls or fanboi's their comments should be allowed because their comments help shape future games.  Maybe if Bioware/EA had listened to its players it wouldnt have had to go F2P.