Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about buying it with the expansions.

ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
What the title says. Is there still a big population? Is it worth coming in as a brand new player at this point? Are there still active guilds? I'm really wanting to get it but I want to make sure a new guy has a chance.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    there's a lot in game now trying to fill out their hall of monuments to get the items for guild wars 2.. I tried to come back to get a few more points but just found i wasn't enjoying it at all like I did many many years ago ymmv though.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GonzomikeGonzomike Member Posts: 30
             I would wait a while. Right now its just a big trade market with everyone trying to get their hall of monuments stocked for GW2. Doubtful many people are going to continue playing GW with GW2 out. Who knows....

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Naw, I didn't beta test GW2. I've def. been following it though and pretty excited about what I've read so far. Thanks for the advice guys!
  • marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101

Hi, I consider myself a very limited player skill-wise in Guild Wars, and I am guessing you wont have the time to get Pro in the time left to GW2 launch. However, the campaigns are really enjoyable and the community is pretty good. There is a LOT of people that is willing to give a hand in order for you to complete the Hall of Monuments. Even if it would be extremely difficult to raise to level 50 to get all the titles, you can still get to level 30 and get all the items, plus, you can still get some points after GW2 is launched accordingly to the devs.

I will recommend that once you complete all the campaigns (in hard mode also for sure) you start farming anything so you can get money and with it armor/weapons, minis, etc for the HoM, which i suspect is what you are aiming for. In case that is not the reason, anyway buy it, it is a extremely good game, and the pvp is very funny.

I found that this website http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki to be very useful for farming or pvp builds, and the wiki is very good to tell you where can you find the elite skills, etc. 

One last tip would be to play the nightfall campaign first as the gold rewards are higher, even if playing the three campaigns would be necesary.

Hope this helped.

Cheers!

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I waited until a week ago or so to start my HOM, and I am at16/30(goal) so it isn't too bad. I bought all 3 and the expansion, so it might be abit easier for me. Really wish i would have found out about this game in it's real prime, because it is awesome!

Really just find a guide, as you can do things as you progress through the games.

It CAN be abit overwhelming at first, at least it was for me, as i'd never really played a game with this kind of depth. You have to think about who and what skills to bring with you to battle lol.

Anyways, my suggestion is to start in nightfall, progress to EOTN as fast as possible, spam Kilroy Stoneskin's mission to max your level quickly, and get to work! Hope you enjoy!

Message me in game for help if you need it - Tak Winterwolf

EDIT: One more tip, round up as many heroes as you can, customizing their skills really makes things a cake walk. GETTING the skills can be abit of work( skill trainers use up their skill points), but eh! Until you get to that point though, don't be afraid to fill your party with nothing but henchmen. Until i figured things out abit, they really made things easier

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Alright, so I broke down and now i'm in the middle of downloading it with all the expansions!!! Can't wait to get in there and start. Game just looks like so much fun and I want to at least experience it before GW2. Thanks to everyone for the comments!
  • e1eplayere1eplayer Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Let me know if you need some help because I'm in the same situation as you. My name is Germ Theory
  • RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

If you're one of those folks who enjoys a good game regardless of how old the features feel, I think it's still worth checking it out.

As others have said, it's not much like GW2 at all, other than sharing the same setting and basic historical elements.  BUT I think some people can still enjoy it for what it is.  I know I have been. 

Because zones are personally instanced anyway, GW can generally be played through like a single-player RPG and enjoyed for the story and mission objectives.  Being B2P and at the prices you can now get all the campaigns at certainly helps justify playing it just for the basic story and setting experience, even if you're unable to get into the whole post-story culture IMO.

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I started up a few weeks ago, played back in 2004 but never got too much into it.  I started with nightfall and am only level 11.  My name is Ish Baalzamon if you want to get together.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Just skip it, #2 is just around the corner.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

I got it about month ago but I just wanted to do main story for original and other 2 campaigns.

Playing it mostly as single-player game with henchmen and as far as story goes it's not bad tbh which is enough for me. If you are interested in story and some exploring it's worth getting it.

I didn't look into guilds and PVP so can't tell you about that but from what I played so far I feel it was worth buying it for me.

Good character customizations (skill buiding) and nice story elements and also lot of nice places to explore. Not bad looking game for its age.

I am actually having a BALL in this game. Wish I had gotten into it sooner. It will cure my fix until GW2 that is for sure. My name in game is Syth Kail. Hit me up if you wanna party up! Thanks for all the input guys!
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by shaddy33
    What the title says. Is there still a big population? Is it worth coming in as a brand new player at this point? Are there still active guilds? I'm really wanting to get it but I want to make sure a new guy has a chance.

Depends on why you want to play it.

If you think you'll have time to take on a brand new RPG, GW1 is a really good game. There is quite a learning curve, and the amount of content you are about to pickup with this game is insane. I've played the game since launch (off and on) and there is still a ton of stuff I haven't done yet. I don't even have all the skills unlocked yet.

If you are thinking of a quick pickup game, this is not for you. This game requires A LOT of time, so be warned.

As for population, the game still has a really strong population for a game that's almost 8 years old. It isn't an MMO, though, and is a mostly co-op experience. You will either be playing with an NPC group most of the time (while chatting to your guild / alliance), or if u find a newbie friendly group u may be running some content w/ them as well.

It's a very good co-op online RPG, so if you are approaching it as such, I'd definitely recommend it. However, also keep in mind that GW2 comes out in a few weeks. There's probably going to be a huge population drop once that happens. I know a lot of people are making the switch (not everyone, but most).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    I am actually having a BALL in this game. Wish I had gotten into it sooner. It will cure my fix until GW2 that is for sure. My name in game is Syth Kail. Hit me up if you wanna party up! Thanks for all the input guys!

If you need help lemme know. I've been playing off and on waiting for GW2.

Originally posted by aesperus

If you need help lemme know. I've been playing off and on waiting for GW2.

Thank you! The reception so far in the game has been fantastic! One of the better communities i've dealt with that is for sure!