Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level 20 only for FTP?

wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
I Downloaded the ftp client just now and noticed the Dread Knight (which was my choice to create) along with a few other classes were restricted to level 20.Is this how it will be for the new FTP version iof the game? Certainly hope not. Maybe i'm missing something?

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    really?
  • ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    I thought FTP was going to be released on the 14th of this month?
  • brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

There is a level 20 cap for any races or classes not covered under the F2P options. F2P players have choices of six races and seven classes, and Dread Knight is not one of the options (though you can pay a little extra to "unlock" that class, I believe.

they updated and announced F2P  went in early with today's update: http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=57981

Here are  links to how the new system works:

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/faq.vm

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

There is a big green "play free now" button now on their website where you can download the client, although the servers are down for maintenance till 4p pst.

The latest patch notes says its ftp now

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I think it's a mistake to let people play those classes without purchasing them even if it's only to level 20.  What if someone doesn't even see the level 20 restriction then wonders why they can't play their character or why they can't level up once they reach 20 in-game?
    Originally posted by brash99

There is a level 20 cap for any races or classes not covered under the F2P options. F2P players have choices of six races and seven classes, and Dread Knight is not one of the options (though you can pay a little extra to "unlock" that class, I believe.

they updated and announced F2P  went in early with today's update: http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=57981

ahh, i see, thx. sad, but fair enough i guess. cant have everything, and that certainly holds true for free!

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    I think it's a mistake to let people play those classes without purchasing them even if it's only to level 20.  What if someone doesn't even see the level 20 restriction then wonders why they can't play their character or why they can't level up once they reach 20 in-game?

That's a good point. I haven't seent the F2P character creation page, hopefully the classes that are not fully free are clearly marked.

But on the other side of the coin, it allows people who are interested in those classes to try them out before they buy. There should be a lot less buyer's remorse this way. I think it's a good idea actually.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    It's clearly marked during character creation, make no mistake.  I agree, this is a good system- certainly better than AoC which locked classes with no 20-level-try-before-you-buy.
    Originally posted by brash99

Here are  links to how the new system works:

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/faq.vm

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm

Wonder how much "a little extra to unlock" a favored class might be for FPT? If it were 5 or 10 bucks, that wouldnt be too bad, seeing as how the client is free to DL and its FTP.

When you click on the "class" buttons during character creation, there is big bold yellow text to begin the description of the class warning you its restricted...if you miss it, then you prob should't be playing the game at all, as your attention span is 0.

Originally posted by wrightstuf

When you click on the "class" buttons during character creation, there is big bold yellow text to begin the description of the class warning you its restricted...if you miss it, then you prob should't be playing the game at all, as your attention span is 0.

Unless you're a vet who doesn't feel the need to read class descriptions.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

And any race/class also has a yellow border that is restricted to level 20.

Unless you're a vet who doesn't feel the need to read class descriptions.

you still need to click the button, lol

ever heard the phrase "if it were a snake, it would of bit me?"

heh, sorry, not meaning to slight anyone, but c'mon

Originally posted by Fangrim

Yeah, but in a world where we have to put warnings on pizza boxes to remind people not to consume them frozen, people are stupid.  I can see a lot of people plowing through character select then submitting lots of tickets to customer support wondering why they can't progress their character.

Yeah, but in a world where we have to put warnings on pizza boxes to remind people not to consume them frozen, people are stupid.  I can see a lot of people plowing through character select then submitting lots of tickets to customer support wondering why they can't progress their character.

Then maybe they should have, in big red bold text when you go to download the client..."Warning! This game is not suitable for retards!"

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I would say most people that dumb won't even reach level 20 in Vanguard anyway,once they get killed by an add they will run back to thier usual game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Wonder how much "a little extra to unlock" a favored class might be for FPT? If it were 5 or 10 bucks, that wouldnt be too bad, seeing as how the client is free to DL and its FTP.

the class unlock is 7.50 for both EQ and EQ2 -- wouldnt surprise me if its same for Vanguard

worth noting that SOE has X2 Station cash specials like 6x a year

so its easy to get things half price if you wait

SOE Cash is shared across all games for the same acct

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Psychow

That's a good point. I haven't seent the F2P character creation page, hopefully the classes that are not fully free are clearly marked.

But on the other side of the coin, it allows people who are interested in those classes to try them out before they buy. There should be a lot less buyer's remorse this way. I think it's a good idea actually.

^^^^^^^^ this!

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Well it states on there : http://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm page that you can go up to level 55.

Why say level 20 then ????

Edit : i just saw the fine print at bottom that states level 20 max for free

Originally posted by Nadia

the class unlock is 7.50 for both EQ and EQ2 -- wouldnt surprise me if its same for Vanguard

thx!...that's not bad. think i'll go ahead and roll a DK and see how the ftp version is panning out. if it looks fun and worthwhile sticking around, i'll plunk down the money. Kinda set on the dread knight, heh

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Just tell them "Congratulations upon reaching max level" and move on..../close ticket lol

Wait...you're telling me you're suppose to heat up frozen pizzas first? Doh! I was wondering why they were so damn chewy.

• beat_downbeat_down Member UncommonPosts: 46

The six free races included with Free Membership are: Thestran, Halfling, Kojani, Half-Elf, Qaliathari, and Mordebi.

The seven free classes included with Free Membership are: Warrior, Rogue, Monk , Cleric, Disciple, Sorcerer and Necromancer.

Bleh. Well this ruins every thing. Blood mage was the only class I like. Dwarf was the only race I like.

/cry

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by beat_down

The six free races included with Free Membership are: Thestran, Halfling, Kojani, Half-Elf, Qaliathari, and Mordebi.

The seven free classes included with Free Membership are: Warrior, Rogue, Monk , Cleric, Disciple, Sorcerer and Necromancer.

Bleh. Well this ruins every thing. Blood mage was the only class I like. Dwarf was the only race I like.

/cry

well i wasted my time leveling a dark elf dread knight to 11

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

A few things.

Pay yearly its like 7.50 a month

Pay yearly for station access its 14.99 a month you can play any SOE game

Both give you 500 station cash every month.

If this is not for you triple station cash weekends are 2-3 times a year 15$ at walmart gets you 4500 station cash during these weekends (classes in EQ are 750 station cash).  So yah you basically get to unluck the classes for cheap if you choose to during triple weekends.