Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Venom sharing" - do you share with EVERY ally around you?

IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Gearing towards the start, been reading guides for my fellow Thief. Came across that.

Does "applying venom applies buff to nearby allies" mean that ALL allies around me get to use my venom? Like, all 100 that are around me in WvWvW get to apply some hundred damage per hit venom each for some applications, so i'm giving like some hundred thousand damage buff to them?

Comments

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Not sure on the venom but it could be somthing like swiftness or whatnot. Unless it actually does give venom.
  • IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    ... but its insane right? Erm..... Why would i use any other build in WvWvW as Thief then? Shouldnt this be fixed to like "up to 10 allies"?
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Nearby is a radius like one of those aoe circles, hitting 10 allies is more likely.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by IstrebiteI
    ... but its insane right? Erm..... Why would i use any other build in WvWvW as Thief then? Shouldnt this be fixed to like "up to 10 allies"?

I read somewhere that AoE only effects up to 5 people. Maybe this works the same way. Gotta look for more info.

But no doubt when on voice chat it would be easy for guilds to make melee/ranged people gather for an application of venom share for a moment, if that buffs their damage that much?
  • ArusuArusu Member Posts: 1

a) This skill works in +/- meele range, so buffing 100 people is pretty hard

b) it probably counts as aoe,  "An area of effect skill may only affect a maximum of 5 targets" (from gw2 wiki)

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I would not be surprised if there was a cap on the number of people buffed. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Xzen

I read somewhere that AoE only effects up to 5 people. Maybe this works the same way. Gotta look for more info.

Best of my knowledge this is correct, but I've never gotten a chance to effectively test it.

cause yeah...passing, say...basilisk venom...to your entire WvW horde. Yeah. Ugly.

• dracopiedracopie Member Posts: 51
    I believe venom's are capped at 5 along with other buffs.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Arusu

a) This skill works in +/- meele range, so buffing 100 people is pretty hard

b) it probably counts as aoe,  "An area of effect skill may only affect a maximum of 5 targets" (from gw2 wiki)

Sounds like b) is the answer then. 5 targets.

Yeah, that seems more reasonable. Would help alot if ANet would specify it in the tooltips (like, what the AOE size is, and how many targets are affected, i'm used to exact and detailed tooltips from games like Dota and they help a lot!)
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Yeah, that seems more reasonable. Would help alot if ANet would specify it in the tooltips (like, what the AOE size is, and how many targets are affected, i'm used to exact and detailed tooltips from games like Dota and they help a lot!)

The tooltips in beta were only avalible in simplified version. Release will have more detailed ones. They didn't want people to go too hardcore on number crunching before the numbers are even final. 

They were not only simple, but incomplete, wrong and just hilarious sometimes. Dont remember exact one, on a pvp gem you put into armor, but it was ridiculous... a bit less fun was one that said "Gives XXX buff when underwater (not in)" - this one made me wonder for some time "what do they mean under water but not in... like, when i'm on land but below sea level?"

I hope this changes by release.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

The Dev's posted in a FAQ on the beta boards and the answer is 5, nearly almost 5.

All the AoE abilities are based on group play, your boons hit 5 people, your conditions hit 5 people.  They were vauge on the smart targeting though.