Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ: Being Developed as a Stand Alone Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

PC Gamer is reporting that DayZ is being developed as a stand alone game. According to a Twitter post from Dean “Rocket” Hall, he will be the lead designer and a new web site dedicated to the DayZ stand alone has also been unleashed.

Development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game, so anyone who is playing the mod now will be able to continue to do so. The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price.

I realize people will have many, many questions - but we wanted to let everyone know the announcement now. Over the coming weeks, these questions will be answered.

Check out the brand new DayZ site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    a game designed by a gamer win=win!
  • Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30
    This whole story sounds like it was taken out of a fairy tale. Really happy indie developers are being recognized!
  • PantherninpoPantherninpo Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Yay!  Except I bought Arma II just for this game. 

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

DayZ is a great game, probly the best zombie game out there. but the main issue it has and biggest is it hackers wich l8tly has been running rampid. It has come to the point where server hosts have been shutting there servers down permenently and opening private stand alone hive servers where you must apply to in order to get in. Apparently ts alot easier to track and punish hackers on a stand alone hive server.

Rocket himself in my opinion is doing a 50/50 job at developing this game. Now i know its in development still but he is adressing issues that arnt even major! and putting major issues off and making excuses for doing so. And when ppl complain about them he uses the line "its my mod ill do what i want" sounds liek a great developer alright...not. ppl have even stared petitions on the official forums demanding that he fix certain issues before they come back to the game. This is why ppl are excited and looking forward to The War Z in my eyes...hoping that these issues do not arrise with it. Some but not limited to major issues are:

-combat loggers

-MAJOR graphic glitches that cause the game to be unplayable

-server hoppers

-hackers

Now i still play DayZ but have moved  to a private server that has a huge pop for a private server.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Pantherninpo

Me too.

Oh well if it will be indeed "heavily discounted price" I might just buy it again.

I just hope they set up some nice servers too. Most of them crap atm.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Pantherninpo

Then you should give the ARMA II MP a go as well as its actually good fun :)

Anyway this is awesome news and I guess it had to happen :)

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Scypheroth

DayZ is a great game, probly the best zombie game out there. but the main issue it has and biggest is it hackers wich l8tly has been running rampid. It has come to the point where server hosts have been shutting there servers down permenently and opening private stand alone hive servers where you must apply to in order to get in. Apparently ts alot easier to track and punish hackers on a stand alone hive server.

Rocket himself in my opinion is doing a 50/50 job at developing this game. Now i know its in development still but he is adressing issues that arnt even major! and putting major issues off and making excuses for doing so. And when ppl complain about them he uses the line "its my mod ill do what i want" sounds liek a great developer alright...not. ppl have even stared petitions on the official forums demanding that he fix certain issues before they come back to the game. This is why ppl are excited and looking forward to The War Z in my eyes...hoping that these issues do not arrise with it. Some but not limited to major issues are:

-combat loggers

-MAJOR graphic glitches that cause the game to be unplayable

-server hoppers

-hackers

Now i still play DayZ but have moved  to a private server that has a huge pop for a private server.

hackers ruin every fun game.

just think how bad planet side 2 is going to be with hackers =(

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Hopefully a better game engine, art stye and most of all fixing some of the mechanics like blood packs. Hate the fact if you solo and need a blood pack noone is around.... Overall this is really good news.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I would think they will use the ARMA III engine..

would be silly not to :)

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    Best. News. Ever.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Some of the issues people complain about are a result of mod limitations, which is probably one of the reasons they are developing a stand alone game.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Great news, good luck to Dean.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

This is great news.  There are some other similar games in development, but I was concerned that they would be too "MMO-y", which in my mind is not a good thing.  I have no interest in yet another basic themepark with a zombie skin on it, so a standalone version of DayZ sounds great.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Hopefully it'll use the Arma 3 engine, was hoping it would just be a game mode in Arma 3 though.
  • GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165
    I also bought the game for the mod, just like I bought warcraft III just for DoTa. I hope they add a clever way of handling the <span alt-edited"="">allocation of the population accross the servers.
  • tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    This. Is. It. :D
  • MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133
    This is an amazing game. Remember that it's still in alpha and not near being complete. It's just a mod right now. Things will get better as there are problems with it right now....but 1mil folks have bought it just to play the alpha.....it's that good people. That good.
  • ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Hopefully it won't take 5 years to develop this. By that time there will already be at least 5 other clones on the market, if not more.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Problem with a mod, you really cannot control the hackers.  In game like this where you lose everything, it can get very frustrating when the cheaters are running rampant.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

If the stand-alone manages to fix the problem of most servers simply becoming an FFA deathmatch with the occasional infected thrown in, I'll give it a shot. 

If he replaces all the infected with actual zombies, even better.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Problem with a mod, you really cannot control the hackers.  In game like this where you lose everything, it can get very frustrating when the cheaters are running rampant.

And games with the possibility to LOOT everything of another player will always have hackers/cheaters and whatnots :)

UO, DF for 2 very good examples of those
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.