Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monthly Update is it worth $15?

2»

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Historically, subscription fees for MMO's have always been for access to the servers, including the costs of keeping them running.  They were attractive way back when, because people were getting tired of "metered" access to internet, ala 90's dial up plans.  There is nothing in the sub contract that even implies monthly content updates.

The issue then is that server and bandwith costs are much cheaper than they were in the early days of MMOs, yet the subscription costs remain the same.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Historically, subscription fees for MMO's have always been for access to the servers, including the costs of keeping them running.  They were attractive way back when, because people were getting tired of "metered" access to internet, ala 90's dial up plans.  There is nothing in the sub contract that even implies monthly content updates.

Yeah, true.  Its not implied, as they've stated there will be monthly updates.  Just varying in scale.

It many not be in the T&C's, but they have stated such.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

The answer is that it is worth it if you consider yourself to have received $15 worth of enterainment from the content update.

MMOs are a fairly cheap for of enterainment really. Here in Australia it will cost you $20 to see a movie (roughly 2 hours). Last time I rented a DvD (5 years ago) it was $6 for a night, so I imagine that is pretty expensive now.  I could buy a book ($50 for a hardcover, $22 or more for a paperback) which for me is probably 5 hours enterainment.

So all of those probably work our at roughly $4/hour minimum.

Instead I play MMOs.  I'm subscribed to 3 at the moment which is $45/month, but I play them for roughly 50 hours per week or 200 hours a month which by my calculations works out to $0.22/hour of entertainment which makes MMOs a pretty cheap source of fun.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Baddogbill
    Now that the first monthly update is in operation  I'm wondering if the new content gives a months worth of playing or what sort of timespan it will take to cover the new content ....is the new content worth 15$ this month?

I think that if you take it on its own, an update is probably not worth  $15.  But considering that you need to pay $15 continue playing the game anyway, the update definitely makes the sub an even better deal.

In other words - if you didn't think TSW was worth subscribing to in the first place, i doubt the update will change your mind.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by Baddogbill
    Now that the first monthly update is in operation  I'm wondering if the new content gives a months worth of playing or what sort of timespan it will take to cover the new content ....is the new content worth 15$ this month?

I think that if you take it on its own, an update is probably not worth  $15.  But considering that you need to pay $15 continue playing the game anyway, the update definitely makes the sub an even better deal.

In other words - if you didn't think TSW was worth subscribing to in the first place, i doubt the update will change your mind.

I pretty much agree with this, here.

Anybody that might expect 1/4 of the game in content every month will easily be disappointed(not that anyone here is  arguing that).  But if their last update will be par for what to expect in new content, then they'll be easily doing more than what most other MMO's are doing, now.  And it's a welcome surprise that contrasts greatly with Funcom's less than stellar content delivery for AoC.

Edit:  One thing to note... at least one of the missions was in CB.  Much of it may have been not ready for launch, and technically not new content.

IMO Funcom seems, at least so far, to have redeemed their rep in 2 areas they were notorious for:  horrible launches, and content delivery.

For me, though?  Given the game's strong and weak points, the wise thing for me is to wait six months, sub for a month, and do all the new content at once.  It's cheaper, and I absorb the story better, that way.

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    Difinitly worth it. Not only is there Monthly updates but also the content updates Are changing the world making the game immersive. So this month the deli will have sale on Apples but NeXT month it may be bananas :)