Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Discouraging thread on official forum

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILPosts: 413Member Uncommon

I saw a thread saying that due to all the changes and additions the game is now quite buggy.

I can't believe they would do this.  All they needed to do was polish the game up for launch and code in the f2p stuff.

So help me if the game goes free to play with a bunch of new bugs and they didn't bother to fix the old ones, I'm not even going to bother.

F2P VG was what I was most excited about...was looking forward to resubbing and having a healthy population to play with.

The more I hear, the less exicted I am.  Unbelievable.

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon

ive played through the new revamped stuff myself and not the isle of dawn the actual home towns. I didnt run into anything at all on two of the three starting areas that was game breaking or stopped me from continuing. The only thing I didnt like was in the desert starting area the quests are not revamped enough so you have to kinda fight higher mobs and risk dying a bit before you get your starting weapon . The game still goes into hard mode around level 8 in that zone at least where you go into the first dungeon in that area.

I do not personally see what people there are complaining about other then some stats that are kinda pointless at low levels on the new gear. Ive read the thread you're talking about though and some of it is kinda just bickering , just like the hardcore fans are nickering about being able to play all the races as any class and breaking lore.

The thing is people for almost two years on this site now have been screaming about Vanguard please go free to play and the offical forums also. Then when they finally get what they want and they basically just revamp a few zones to make it easier on the players starting out fresh , the same ungreatful community goes on a yelling spree on the offical forums. People forget that the free to play general player base is used to easier games and vanguard is unforgiving from the start. Corpse runs still in effect and if you run out of endurence and over pull you are so screwed its not funny. They are thinking about that and trying to ease people into learning the game properly before frustrating them for not knowing how to play and then just dying and having an empty bag.

Think of it this way , SOE is kinda smart about it they are trying to attract new players , not just old vets that quit long ago even though they want them to. People are not used to how hard vanguard can get coming from other mmo's like lord of the rings eq2 wow or others.

• kantseemekantseeme millville, NJPosts: 709Member
    can we get a link to this thread that yo claim said all this? Id like to read it myself.
  • BeilochBeiloch Sun City, CAPosts: 74Member

^True, cronius77. Vanguard is about the closest to 'old school' gameplay without just playing an older game like DAOC or EQ1. It is not forgiving. About the only thing that is forgiving is travel and it still needs you to run around MUCH more than every other new MMO.

It doesn't 'actively' go after you though. You won't be surprised by some cheap trick. But if you want to live and do well you basically have to be cautious at ALL times. Just to name a few there are invisible mobs (meant to be and can be seen with certain abilities) that WILL backstab you. Areas aren't completely level segregated, so you can find yourself messing with something 20-30 levels higher than you very quickly.

yeah ive played vanguard over the years off and on and while it can get frustrating like being all the way at the bottom of a dungeon and getting /stuck to having to camp stuff the game itself can be fun and rewarding. Seriously though people got what they wanted with vanguard going free to play and instead of being happy about it they are on the offical forums nit-picking at anything soe does, its rather annoying. I like some of the changes honestly and I like how they are trying to allow new players not used to games being hard start off easy and learn the systems and how to properly do combat.

If I would like SOE to focus though on one thing is they REALLY need to go over the terrain all over the world and remove structures you can get stuck on or fix it so when you use /stuck you just get ported a few inches away from where you are actually stuck. Thats been my one gripe for years with vanguard is you can literally get stuck just by running around on terrain and if you have fought your way deep down into a dungeon thats one heck of a long way back inside.

I like the class/race changes myself though people seem to hate them but being able to start in thestra as a disciple is awesome to myself since i love their gothic lore more then anywhere else. It reminds me of old albion in DAOC and the graphics just fit , its awesome. The loyals need to just accept that the game needs to evolve some if they want to make it mainstream and get more people playing. If people have to do corpse runs right from the start and cant solo anything , guess what with todays mmo crowd you're right back to square one with no population , especially with games that are pay to play like Guild Wars 2 and others like SWTOR going free to play.

All im saying is people need to stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and actually be happy for once SOE is making it free to play especially since vanguard is forced grouping , and the number one reason people quit is population issues.

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILPosts: 413Member Uncommon

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=57966

There is the link someone asked for.

Thanks Cronius for your input.  It is good to hear something positive.  I hope f2p goes well.  I didn't play at launch but have played on and off over the last couple of years and I am really looking forward to an active community. 

• EverketEverket MiddenheimPosts: 240Member Uncommon
    I read that big thread yesterday as well and was very discouraged. I'm glad to hear about a different opinion here though, but I must admit I am worried, much more worried than I was before reading that thread.
    just sign up for a free trial its 14 days and you can start anywhere not just the isle of dawn . You will quickly see no game breaking bugs at least that i know of.
  • Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Jefferson, GAPosts: 137Member
    Now that there is a choice of where to start a new character, what is the best option, still the Isle of Dawn?
  • TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,154Member Uncommon
    Maybe they will continue to work on those bugs as the game populates? It'll be interesting to see what changes there are and whether they make the game easier like wow did.
    Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.
  • StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member

The coding in VG has always been wonky to the point where I think it would be near impossible to make slight changes without breaking something else. Something as simple as making changes to skills like we saw for diciples caused whole chunks to crash if certain skills were used.

It isn't something you can blame the current devs for. The game was poorly coded from the start that makes, breaking something else while making changes, something you are going to see more of.

Having said that, VG is an awesome game bad coding and all. If you expect to play a bug free VG now that it has shifted focus then you are in for a rude awakening.

i personally think the best starting area is your factions home starting towns now. You can get a decent story and great lore and the world is much more vast and open then the isle of dawn. Also like the poster above me stated Vanguard is old and buggy and you gotta have patience to play it , if you stick it out though and enjoy the old school days of mmorpgs , you will really enjoy vanguard.
  • KilsinKilsin NSWPosts: 343Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by cronius77
    just sign up for a free trial its 14 days and you can start anywhere not just the isle of dawn . You will quickly see no game breaking bugs at least that i know of.

The game breaking bugs we were referring too were at mid and end game, you would of known that if you read the entire thread.

There is several threads listing multiple bugs, exploits, lag, poor itemisation, weapon stat bugs, class bugs, items bugs, Aug bugs and we have not even scratched the surface. These are things we are having to continually complain about, that either get ignored or we wait literally months/years for a fix, if they get fixed at all.

I have played from the first beta and have kept at least 1 subscription active for the 5.8 years that Vanguard has been around and I still play today, with 4 active accounts and I can tell you right now from personal experience on multiple characters, there are a ton of game breaking bugs waiting for you at mid to end game.

There is very poor itemisation at low levels and stupid stats that are under powered and make no sense on weapons and gear plus the whole "ruining of the racial starting areas and the lore..." but if you don't mind that and enjoy every other easy mode MMO out there you will like these changes.

If you had of logged into test you will see what is about to go live after the 8 hr patch tonight, as I tested it and am familiar with what will be pushed live, I would be interested in seeing what you have to say tomorrow, once it has finished :)

The bugs on test that are about to go live are blatantly obvious, yet they will make it to live because no one tests this stuff other than 1-2 players these days, after we all got continuously f*&cked around by the Devs, the rest of us stopped testing.

So you can continue to paint a pretty picture and claim we are over exaggerating but until you actually know...you may want to do a bit more research and jump on the test server to see for yourself, what everyone is talking about.

Just because you didn't see many does not mean that they are not there my friend :)

Community & Web Manager | Visionary Realms, Inc.
    Visit our Development Website.

i personally think the best starting area is your factions home starting towns now. You can get a decent story and great lore and the world is much more vast and open then the isle of dawn. Also like the poster above me stated Vanguard is old and buggy and you gotta have patience to play it , if you stick it out though and enjoy the old school days of mmorpgs , you will really enjoy vanguard.

After the changes you cannot access all starting areas now, Mekalia is shut down to the Gnomes and everyone else indefinitely and others like Hathor Zhi have been raised in level, so now you have to wait until you are in your 20's to visit your "birthplace" or "home".

Anything created on the mainland is being forced into a few revamped starting areas:

Thestra: Tursh, Three Rivers

Qalia: Cliffs of Ghelged, Qa Riverbank

Kojan: Tanvu, Tomb of Lord Tsang 

There is some lame excuse trying to connect the fact that there is rival races forced into the same starting zone but it is poor at best.

It is such a shame, the racial starting areas were the best Vanguard had to offer, the IoD is out of place and good for a trial only (even though it does not actually give a glimpse at the real Vanguard mainland) and the music, lore and feeling you get from creating a character in some of these areas is second to none.

But now mostly gone due to these new changes....

• jacklojacklo BlackpoolPosts: 570Member

Whether F2P is what people wanted or not, F2P should not have to equal sub-standard.

If you got a free pizza, you wouldn't want it if it was dropped on the floor, dirty and the topping was missing.

• William12William12 Saint paul, MNPosts: 680Member
    Originally posted by Kilsin

After the changes you cannot access all starting areas now, Mekalia is shut down to the Gnomes and everyone else indefinitely and others like Hathor Zhi have been raised in level, so now you have to wait until you are in your 20's to visit your "birthplace" or "home".

Anything created on the mainland is being forced into a few revamped starting areas:

There is some lame excuse trying to connect the fact that there is rival races forced into the same starting zone but it is poor at best.

It is such a shame, the racial starting areas were the best Vanguard had to offer, the IoD is out of place and good for a trial only (even though it does not actually give a glimpse at the real Vanguard mainland) and the music, lore and feeling you get from creating a character in some of these areas is second to none.

People wanted more players and these type of changes are what will get more players.  I feel you I loved the classic EQ days of a starting area for each race and even loved it in vanguards beta and after release.   BUT  it's time to move on from that concept you cannot have 16 starting areas its too much overhead for a small dev team.  I understand the complaints, but maybe wait until all the changes before complaining ?   Honestly if they start development again and release more content isn't that good thing ?   For them to make VG marketable and  for F2P work the game has to be marketable to the masses not the few.

In the end I think the changes should be judged by if they made the game more popular because face it more popular means more people like the changes then hate them.

• CarvatarCarvatar saint augustine, FLPosts: 4Member
     I'm a returning player. I have 2 lvl 50s and a 30 something also. I just started the free 14 day trial to see what changes have been made and what kind of response the F2P will get. If it is a good response I'm resubbing without a doubt. Having played a few hours this morning I can say that it is still buggy and even with a comp 5 years newer I still get low fps. However are the bugs really that big a deal? Would you rather have a good somewhat buggy game or crappy flawless game? I'll take a few bugs anyday. After playing SWTOR for 7 months going corridor to corridor, the huge immense world of Telon is a god send! Sunrise over Khal was freaking sweet this morning lol
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Cedar Springs, MIPosts: 761Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

I saw a thread saying that due to all the changes and additions the game is now quite buggy.

I can't believe they would do this.  All they needed to do was polish the game up for launch and code in the f2p stuff.

So help me if the game goes free to play with a bunch of new bugs and they didn't bother to fix the old ones, I'm not even going to bother.

F2P VG was what I was most excited about...was looking forward to resubbing and having a healthy population to play with.

Firstly it's obvious to at least some of us old timers that SOE bought Vanguard to kill it via a slow death of neglect. It was a direct rival of EQ2 and SOE could tolerate that. SOE had to do something to remove the competition... but what? Only thing that SOE could do that would look "OK" in the minds of MMO Players was to buy it out.... and so that is what they did. Vanguard was never really finished so of course it's full of bugs... why should SOE fix them if they want it to die?

SOE couldn't give a rat's furry behind about VG and never will care UNLESS turning VG into F2P makes them some money and THEN they will care. This is a last ditch effort to make a few more dollars, nothing more.

Secondly... It's Free to Play... nothing free in life is any good... how long will Players refuse to understand and comprehend this simple concept? How long will Players continue to behave like well trained  and mindless consumer drones and robots? Any MMO that is F2P or goes F2P is garbage. B2P is a completely different animal and usually is OK (not great but better than F2P).

You get what you pay for, and in MMOs the best are MMOs where everyone pays. Nothing that has happened in ANY MMO in the last 10 years has changed my mind on that point.

I think Vanguard is one of the best MMOs ever made (my opinion of course), I would play it but I seen the proposed changes and I know VG is going to be a mess come F2P. I don't want to see what a Mess SOE is going to make with it.

• FangrimFangrim PrestonPosts: 589Member Common
    I also resubbed yesterday and deleted all my original toons from 2007 lol.I will most likely make 12 new toons after this patch and delete the Disciple I have on IoD too.A whole new start is sometimes good :)

Gnome Wankers two.After the events of 18/07/2015 i fucking hate anyone that has anything to do with skyforge

Originally posted by William12
    Originally posted by Kilsin

People wanted more players and these type of changes are what will get more players.  I feel you I loved the classic EQ days of a starting area for each race and even loved it in vanguards beta and after release.   BUT  it's time to move on from that concept you cannot have 16 starting areas its too much overhead for a small dev team.  I understand the complaints, but maybe wait until all the changes before complaining ?   Honestly if they start development again and release more content isn't that good thing ?   For them to make VG marketable and  for F2P work the game has to be marketable to the masses not the few.

In the end I think the changes should be judged by if they made the game more popular because face it more popular means more people like the changes then hate them.

I understand what you are saying and I probably should let go of my old school past and run with it but I have seen the changes first hand and played through them on the test server, I don't need to wait and see...I have experienced them and for me...they are not good at all.

Anyway, I have promised myself from now on I will stop posting and caring about Vanguard on any boards other than to help point out issues that affect gameplay and help other gamers with my experience.

I don't want to become a grumpy old man one day that has nothing but a video game to keep him company lol

I think I let my feelings get in the way too much when I post, so time to change.

I hope these changes bring a lot more players to the game and I hope Vanguard does well, it's an awesome game and I have enjoyed playing it for the last 5 and a half years, hopefully that will continue for as long as possible :)

• FangrimFangrim PrestonPosts: 589Member Common
    Don't be too hard on yourself Kilsin,to me it shows you care and thats never a bad thing.Hope one day my noob toons get to fight alongside you ingame :)

Gnome Wankers two.After the events of 18/07/2015 i fucking hate anyone that has anything to do with skyforge

• VyntVynt Glendale, CAPosts: 632Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Firstly it's obvious to at least some of us old timers that SOE bought Vanguard to kill it via a slow death of neglect. It was a direct rival of EQ2 and SOE could tolerate that. SOE had to do something to remove the competition... but what? Only thing that SOE could do that would look "OK" in the minds of MMO Players was to buy it out.... and so that is what they did. Vanguard was never really finished so of course it's full of bugs... why should SOE fix them if they want it to die?

SOE couldn't give a rat's furry behind about VG and never will care UNLESS turning VG into F2P makes them some money and THEN they will care. This is a last ditch effort to make a few more dollars, nothing more.

Secondly... It's Free to Play... nothing free in life is any good... how long will Players refuse to understand and comprehend this simple concept? How long will Players continue to behave like well trained  and mindless consumer drones and robots? Any MMO that is F2P or goes F2P is garbage. B2P is a completely different animal and usually is OK (not great but better than F2P).

You get what you pay for, and in MMOs the best are MMOs where everyone pays. Nothing that has happened in ANY MMO in the last 10 years has changed my mind on that point.

I think Vanguard is one of the best MMOs ever made (my opinion of course), I would play it but I seen the proposed changes and I know VG is going to be a mess come F2P. I don't want to see what a Mess SOE is going to make with it.

Soe did not buy Vanguard to let it die of neglect. It was not a rival at all. The game was about to be shut down. It was already released years too early due to lack of funding. The game was a total disaster. If not for SOE, there would be no Vanguard at all.

They didn't do much to change the game, but I can understand that. Why toss a bunch of money into a disaster of a failed game. They knew they could make some money from it because people still liked it, and the cost would be minimal with a small team. They probably should have gone the freemium model years ago though to try to improve the playerbase.

Kilsin- trust me man i understand you are passionate and care about vanguard and you are right i didnt get on any higher end toons myself to try it. I did the three racial starting zones on new toons instead to experience the newer stuff. But SOE is going to take vanguard in the direction that it takes EQ2 as thats all SOE knows how to do . So to me its kinda like this , A the game is dead with a few dedicated hardcore fans like yourself and others or B they make it free to play and go in and change things like EQ2 did when it went free to play. The reasons for the stat changes I can bet you money right now they are going to itemize your stats over the course of a few patches just like EQ2 did. While to people whom seek challange , myself included its annoying yes and uncalled for but honestly it makes it easier on new players that have not played old school games.

Trust me man i started gaming with EQ and played DAOC religiously from release until catacombs. Im used to harder forced grouping games. When i first played vangaurd and seen the endurence bar with only 100 endurence or stamina whatever its called I smiled hard core. DAOC was like the only other game to add in the third challange mechanic where you couldnt just spam your skills like all the mmorpgs since wow. Vanguard is a beautiful game and while yes there is going to be dumbing down now, at least there will be tons of people to play with that join in. The best possible thing you vets can do is weed out the good quality ones and help them stay with vanguard and not move on with a wonderful community.

All i heard last night in chat in thestra was how buggy vanguard is. I heard a guy ask where do people buy a horse and instead of someone saying ask a guard , which 75% of players would never think of asking, they instead started linking horses bragging. For a game that is supposed to have the very best small community out there in a mmorpg , that was very discouraging to any potential players. I just wish people would focus more on the fact that vanguard has a chance to be a good mmorpg again with a active larger community and not focus on the negative so much as I think in the end while the changes will kinda mess with the otherall lore and gameplay , i think most will not be that bad .

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Gainesville, FLPosts: 2,000Member
    Originally posted by Vynt
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Soe did not buy Vanguard to let it die of neglect. It was not a rival at all. The game was about to be shut down. It was already released years too early due to lack of funding. The game was a total disaster. If not for SOE, there would be no Vanguard at all.

They didn't do much to change the game, but I can understand that. Why toss a bunch of money into a disaster of a failed game. They knew they could make some money from it because people still liked it, and the cost would be minimal with a small team. They probably should have gone the freemium model years ago though to try to improve the playerbase.

Yeah, that is the part of the argument that I never understood.  If Sony wanted Vanguard to die, then they never would have bought the damn thing to begin with.  They pumped resources into the game for the first year and a half or so, why would they have done that if they wanted it to die?

Originally posted by Fangrim
    Don't be too hard on yourself Kilsin,to me it shows you care and thats never a bad thing.Hope one day my noob toons get to fight alongside you ingame :)

That would be good :)

Kilsin- trust me man i understand you are passionate and care about vanguard and you are right i didnt get on any higher end toons myself to try it. I did the three racial starting zones on new toons instead to experience the newer stuff. But SOE is going to take vanguard in the direction that it takes EQ2 as thats all SOE knows how to do . So to me its kinda like this , A the game is dead with a few dedicated hardcore fans like yourself and others or B they make it free to play and go in and change things like EQ2 did when it went free to play. The reasons for the stat changes I can bet you money right now they are going to itemize your stats over the course of a few patches just like EQ2 did. While to people whom seek challange , myself included its annoying yes and uncalled for but honestly it makes it easier on new players that have not played old school games.

Trust me man i started gaming with EQ and played DAOC religiously from release until catacombs. Im used to harder forced grouping games. When i first played vangaurd and seen the endurence bar with only 100 endurence or stamina whatever its called I smiled hard core. DAOC was like the only other game to add in the third challange mechanic where you couldnt just spam your skills like all the mmorpgs since wow. Vanguard is a beautiful game and while yes there is going to be dumbing down now, at least there will be tons of people to play with that join in. The best possible thing you vets can do is weed out the good quality ones and help them stay with vanguard and not move on with a wonderful community.

All i heard last night in chat in thestra was how buggy vanguard is. I heard a guy ask where do people buy a horse and instead of someone saying ask a guard , which 75% of players would never think of asking, they instead started linking horses bragging. For a game that is supposed to have the very best small community out there in a mmorpg , that was very discouraging to any potential players. I just wish people would focus more on the fact that vanguard has a chance to be a good mmorpg again with a active larger community and not focus on the negative so much as I think in the end while the changes will kinda mess with the otherall lore and gameplay , i think most will not be that bad .

Yeah I understand, it's just frustrating man, putting so much effort into VG over the years and supporting it like crazy to have SOE to extend there hand and instead of be thankful for the loyalty and support, use that hand to slap us extremely hard.

I know they need to make money and while I agree the game needs attention, I just think that attention is being spent in the wrong areas of the game, in areas that didn't need work done but anyway, SOE will do as they please and I hope it turns out for the best.

I am not liking what I see being advertised on the Launchpad though...

Full T3 Tank armour and a super rare flying mount being advertised for sale int he cash shop. If SOE sell weapons and armour that is of the best quality from the cash shop, this game will dive bomb very quickly, losing a very large portion of the veteran base that has supported this game over the years.

I really hope this is a mistake or wording issue and not some pay to win change SOE is making.