Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Getting Ready

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, ArenaNet threw a small stress test party for those who could make it. It's the devs' way of saying, "Yeah, we're ready. Let's DO this thing!" In our latest Guild Wars 2 column, we share our thoughts about the stress test and the exciting notion that our obsession is just around the corner! Read on!

A stress test is pretty simple. Players try to log into the game, and stress the servers to help a developer figure out how to make everyone’s connection better. ArenaNet has used a few before, and we have seen some improvements to the game with each passing event. Even if you don’t notice a performance improvement, you should have noticed an improvement in connectivity. I remember the first BEW, and it was a lot of fun, but the game would disconnect every once in a while. It was the first public beta, so this actually wasn’t too surprising. Then a stress test came and it removed a lot of “stress” from the next BEW. The process continued for a few months and each beta ran smoother than the last.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Getting Ready!

Petting my receipt to the Collectors Edition while I wait isn’t creepy at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Chills05Chills05 Member UncommonPosts: 22

This is how I (and many more) feel with a couple weeks to go. Imagine "just a couple more hours" and now imagine actually getting some sleep before early headstart so I can at least try and get 20 hours in before the first break. This very moment in time, these next three weeks, is the *real* stress test for me.

I haven't been this excited for a game since...oh crap, swtor... Here's to hoping my feelings are correct for a change

• thelastradiothelastradio Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Chills05, think this game is going to be amazing and dare I say it, much better than SWTOR :D 18 more sleeps :P
  • Chills05Chills05 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by thelastradio
    Chills05, think this game is going to be amazing and dare I say it, much better than SWTOR :D 18 more sleeps :P

There, now it's on you. But I do believe you are right, thelastradio. ;)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I know it's totally fanboy of me to say, and I HATE that I am this excited for release (I try and moderate myself)....

but I almost have this feeling like I can't even believe there will be a date very soon where I will be able to log into GW2 any time I want... and my progress will be recorded with no fear of wipes...

I've been through a lot of MMO releases, and this one just... I can't beleive it's almost here.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    I'm playing WoW with a bunch of friends while waiting for GW2. It probably won't be as interesting as WoW in the long run, but it's going to be a blast with all my buddies, that I am sure of.

Eleanor Rigby.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'm just praying I don't experience anymore FPS issues on release.  Otherwise, bring it on!
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I'm looking forward to it but don't seem to be going gaga over this game as others seem to be.

Then again I've seen some here do that over every game until they play it for a month or two.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    I feel like that guy staring into a tool store waiting for a sale to start saying "Open, Open, Open" (yes it was a knock-off of another commerical).  I don't want to be this excited for the game, that only leads to disappointment but I just can't help myself.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Dear GW2,

Please get here soon.  You have ruined other games for me and I don't know what to do for the next three weeks.  I guess I'll have to go spend time with my family all the while pining for you.

Signed,

An unabashed fanboy.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm an old timer, I use to play the AD&D gold box series. I started out playing the Pools of Radiance clear back on my Commodore 64 and waited excitedly over each release of the series thereafter. The release of Ultima Online, and then World of Warcraft left me with the same giddy, kid-like feeling as that series did.  Skyrim was another title I waited for and played, but it was missing a community which I grew to love in gaming. 

Hundreds of games have released since my history of playing. and few have caught my excitement or attention like Guild Wars 2.  Just a few more days and we will all be making more history in gaming. Yay for electricity!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I'm rocking some skyrim while I wait, and over the past couple months I have talked myself out of buying the game sub conscience to the fact that I would end up buying it, to which I did last night and have started to download. So without further ado and for the sake of sanity, I will be sneaking up on mages, slaying dragons, and taking unbelievably long shots at various wild animals in skyrim. What are we down to 18 days or so ? That's adequate time to do a lot of dragon slaying.
  • lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Never been this excited for a game before.

I'm not touching any other games these remaining 2,5 weeks of waiting and I'm hoping Anet will entertain us during this final countdown with some more info (f.e. about mobile apps) and media goodness like last night's Q&A on twitch, maybe even open up the forums already.

Also my shiney new 120Hz monitor arrived today so I wouldn't mind a final stress test to get a sneak peek on how Tyria looks in 3D :)

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35
    GW2 I play lighty I left many things to others to test, I ran through some thing others would leave away from like getting all the points from the city search in starter cities to see if there where problem. I did this because I made it over to Lions Arch for a go see. I did alot of things but I left alot I  could tell I would not want to feel like I was repeating things. I did play with character creation, and I hope they tweek that abit more for release. Totally happy where they are and expect release will go well.

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by lilHeala
     I'm hoping Anet will entertain us during this final countdown with some more info (f.e. about mobile apps)

recent interview said apps would be after launch

http://digitalgaudium.com/?p=10924

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by lilHeala  I'm hoping Anet will entertain us during this final countdown with some more info (f.e. about mobile apps)
    recent interview said apps would be after launch http://digitalgaudium.com/?p=10924  

However, soon after launch we’ll be launching a robust app development program in conjunction with our community that should allow for the development of some truly spectacular GW2 app and website development.
    I particularly like the bold part, that smells like a decent API and has me very excited from a coding hobbyist perspective. They better not reveal it too soon as it would probably steal a large chunk of my in-game time :D
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Chills05

This is how I (and many more) feel with a couple weeks to go. Imagine "just a couple more hours" and now imagine actually getting some sleep before early headstart so I can at least try and get 20 hours in before the first break. This very moment in time, these next three weeks, is the *real* stress test for me.

I haven't been this excited for a game since...oh crap, swtor... Here's to hoping my feelings are correct for a change

I've been waiting since they announced Guild Wars 2! How do you think I feel?! It's so much torture waiting!

Smile

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    I just go through all the YouTube videos for woodenpotatoes that I have missed, and all the new ones coming out. He has great GW2 content. Aside from that, been playing BAttlefield 3 and just got the Skyrim dlc, but haven't played for a couple months so I'm updating my mods. Oh, and working and classes start the 20th, so Ive been busy. Still feels like the 25th is taking forever to get here. Sad part is I have a saturday morning class :(
  • brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I know it's totally fanboy of me to say, and I HATE that I am this excited for release (I try and moderate myself)....

but I almost have this feeling like I can't even believe there will be a date very soon where I will be able to log into GW2 any time I want... and my progress will be recorded with no fear of wipes...

I've been through a lot of MMO releases, and this one just... I can't beleive it's almost here.

Strange, I'd say, because I am feeling very similar about this game!

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I WAS really excited, then I intentionally stopped thinking about it - just so the excitement level doesnt lead me to disappointment, and I can jump in fresh.  My only problem is I cant make up my mind on class.  Will do intense research with a week to go until launch I think.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    I've played in all the tests.  Have all of them been CPU locked?  Thats a brave move if thats the case.  How would they be able to iron out 3D card problems??
  • jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Same for me.  It's been a long five years of waiting.  Still can't believe launch is just around the corner.