Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The MMOlympics

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

2012 is an Olympic year with athletes from around the world gathering in London to compete for the 'best in the world' title. But what about us? What about those of us who let our characters strut their prowess? Don't we deserve an MMOlympics? We think so and have The List of events we'd like to see included. Read on!

But what’s missing? Why MMO-style events! That’s right. We think that there are some great in game events that would make terrific additions to any Olympic celebration. Check out our list and then add your own ideas!

Read more of Suzie Ford's The List: The MMOlympics.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131

UO can offer sailing

Rift can offer soccer with the soccer skull ball you can buy on ember isle

Lotro and several others can offer equestrian

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177

Aliens hunting - Face of Mankind.

I mean there is shooting in the olympics, but hey it a lot more fun with a living target....that is also trying to kill you. Hmm then again they tried it once with living targets, however do not believe the bird tried to kill the one shooting them.

Racing - Fallen Earth

Horse, buggy, car, motor, etc you name it and you can race it in Fallen Earth.

Arena style shooting - Firefall

Not only do they try to kill you, they can actually shoot you as well. Only thing more fun then shooting aliens, shooting other humans.

Whatever you want - Second life

Hate it or love it, but if you really want to create a virtual olympics, Second Life seems to be the best platform to hold it on. You should be able to create a lot of different event, maybe even all the event in the real olympics.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Very amusing article, Suzie.

I'd have to say that the Olympics mirrors the MMORPG world quite well. An obscenely bloated budget spent mainly for the self aggrandisement of the "Parent Company", to create a vast and self important spectacle that includes none of the values, and bares little to no resemblance to the roots of its source material.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

GW 2 will introduce keg brawl, which from the description sounded like rugby with kegs. You can also have olympic snowball fights, or base jumping (wtihout parachute though). Swimming is in, too.

Oh, and it wasn't that hard to synchronize dancing in GW - it had a built in option to start dancing at the begin of the next 10 second loop. Everyone types in /dance *, and unless they took so long that they missed this loop, everyone would start at the same time.

Organizing big dances like INC Frosty etc. did was still a lot of effort, because with so many people, someone is bound to miss the loop, and they had to gather all this people and devise a choreography in the first place.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

dont forget the troll-athlon!!

wow.... making a troll and bringing him to barrens to ... troll

eve.. trolling in jita

LoL.. joining a random match and trolling people for being nubs

the troll-athlon!!

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Don't forget Gnome Punting.

This could replace shot putting.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    There are some nice mountain peaks to base jump from in Azeroth, sometimes we go to them and slowfall/parachute off and see how far we can travel in one jump. We even get extreme by first ramping our mount off the peak, dismounting and catching a slowfall from a teamate or deploying a parachute, time falling and distance is factored into the overall score.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Well done article.  KonGrats.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    There are some nice mountain peaks to base jump from in Azeroth, sometimes we go to them and slowfall/parachute off and see how far we can travel in one jump. We even get extreme by first ramping our mount off the peak, dismounting and catching a slowfall from a teamate or deploying a parachute, time falling and distance is factored into the overall score.

and the landing should also be factored in!

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    suzie ford comes up always with innovation while writing her articles . pretty cool actually
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

<3 this article, nice Suzie!

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford
    I wonder if Michael Phelps mentally trains himself by swimming in Evendim?

He mentally trains on the Brandywine pipe weed.  Physically, he prepares by afk swimming under the docks in Darkfall.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Synchronised dancing GW? Erm, hell no, SWG thank you!

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

EQ2 cross-zone races on Leapers and Gliders.   

All games these days have ground and flying mounts.  Those are pretty straight forward.  EQ2 however, has two other mount types - Leapers and Gliders.  Leapers jump super-high and move quickly across landscapes while gliders jump up and glide - they move faster than flying mounts but are notoriously difficult to control in the air.

I've always thought that having races on either of those two mounts would be pretty fracking awesome - especially the gliders.

A Dark Treeglider in EQ2

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    No Keg Brawl for GW2?
  • lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    (EDIT: uh oh... fail quote....) thank you ~ i just watch a INC Frosty dance video. It is awesome. 
  • ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758
    Sorry to burst your bubble, sync dancing is really easy in GW1 lol, all you need to do is type /dance * (the space * is important), which then prepares a sync with people in the area who also do that.
  • DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867
    Originally posted by Zooce

<3 this article, nice Suzie!

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford
    I wonder if Michael Phelps mentally trains himself by swimming in Evendim?

He mentally trains on the Brandywine pipe weed.  Physically, he prepares by afk swimming under the docks in Darkfall.

Bahaha that is awesome.  I especially love the AFK swimming under the dock in Darkfall.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

The MMOlympics... 

Where the obese and lazy can still achieve greatness.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by WellzyC

The MMOlympics... 

Where the obese and lazy can still achieve greatness.

lol..

Funny thing is, some of the best players around the world that I have seen or even know are no where near obese and live pretty active lifestyles..

They are just good at video games.. 

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    In Darkfall, we used to play Dwarfball.  Dwarf crouches down, and teams perform knockbacks on him until he crosses a goal line.  Repeat until time is up or a certain score is reached.  MMOlympics-worthy I'd say.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Sprinting (in Istaria) - althought short in time (kind of 3 minutes) - everyone uses it just to reach that ore vein faster or escape from this nasty monster. Not sure how about competition, since gear influences speed...but it's sport almost everyone practices several times a day.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

Go team Great Britain!

Oh sorry right, Lotro has tons of games, seasonal only games, drinking contests, dancing, just way too many to remember. Equestrian sport being a favourite.

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    Don't forget the music system in LoTRO - they can put on the orchestral work for the winning countries!

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• maccajnrmaccajnr Member UncommonPosts: 84
    We have horse races in LoTRO too