Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The Secret World: Funcom's Magnum Opus

14567810»

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Originally posted by BlackestNite

Originally posted by daystar18

Game must be doing something right. Its hype was around 7.1 and after time has went higher....also be reminded more people tend to complain and rate low than people come to actually give positive feedback.

they haven't even hit their target of 450K subs. at the current sales rate it will take another two months, if ever. that's why there's no announcements about commercial performance of any kind made. it has sold about 130K as of now and they are losing subs already. 

Not the most accurate of sites, plus its only retail figures.. dont believe they include digital downlaods or anything like that.. as they dont have that information from the digital retailers and especially from ea/funcom.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/38647/the-secret-world/

kinda gives a bit of an idea.. so yeah i would think they have hit their target and probally have quite a few more..

If I'm reading that site correctly, and please forgive me if I'm not, it seems that TSW sold only 40,000 retail copies. How is that an indication that they've hit their target of 450,000? Or are you trying to say that TSW's retail sales did not even reach 10% and the rest were digital distribution?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Caldrin

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/38647/the-secret-world/

kinda gives a bit of an idea.. so yeah i would think they have hit their target and probally have quite a few more..

If I'm reading that site correctly, and please forgive me if I'm not, it seems that TSW sold only 40,000 retail copies. How is that an indication that they've hit their target of 450,000? Or are you trying to say that TSW's retail sales did not even reach 10% and the rest were digital distribution?

its not a good site to go by

for Diablo3, Vgchartz claims D3 has sold 2.5million  ..  1/4 of what D3 really sold

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/24178/diablo-iii/

• valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52

The game its just amazing and fun, the quest are extremely fun a mostly repeteable.  This game its like Silent Hill and RE has a MMO Son. Its a dream come true.

The problem? the game has only 1 month old and you want to compare it with WoW (like 10 years old) ... actually i played WoW and last expansions are crap (since WOTLK). The WoW quest had nothing to do with TSW (TSW has Cinemathis and more than the usar dragons / goblims crap).

TSW its an original Game with an original (for a MMORPG) storyline. 

The Skill system its nothing like i ever do before. Nothing like the restrictive skill tree in other games. If you wanna make an unique and original char TSW gives you all the options....

Totally agree with this review.

(NCSOLF and Blizzard marketing guerrilla on?.... )

• VantraxVantrax Member Posts: 3

Seriously... people complain about graphic and intereface in beta... where they are testing and improving them....

Really? I have yet to see a game thats graphic did not improve from beta to launch.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by I_Return

Pc Gamer gave it a 6.9. The mmorpg.com review makes more sense.

Thats actually a little higher than I would have given it..... TSW just wasnt a very good game....I can see maybe a niche crowd getting soemthing from it, but overall it was a bad game.....IMO it was so bad I didnt even play for free after the first 2 weeks I was in beta......No way was this game worth what they were asking their customers to pay for it.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    My review of Secret World. I'm so soooo disappointed. It feels like it was made in the 90's and that the creators played Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and stole most of the ideas from that but not even half as good. 
  • TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

i've been playing this since start but really beginning to get bored with it.

just too many bugs:

- bugged weapons (not producing ressources like they should), people shooting blanks since last patch

- bugged skills (using them would be exploiting and not using them makes things unnecessarily difficult for undergeared teams)

- bugged attributes (hit rating) and attribute summary is bugged since early beta now !!!

- bugged bosses make easy stuff randomly stupid (invisible filth, los-cheating, agro dropping, zero HP bombs)

- bugged items/talisman (tanks with high blockrating still get penetrated until they reequip every item)

- bugged quests, some quests still bugged since beta or bugging out occasionally (e.g. 'too deep' usually works once after server restart or if a gm spawns the mobs)

- bugged mobs, some mobs required for achievments just dont ever spawn (verified by GM)

- bugged dungeons: nightmare HF is a pile of shit its so bugged FC must be insane to release this

and nothing to do after you beat all quests:

- nightmare dungeons (5 per day)

- signet farming

- pointless pvp (too many exploits, and pvp gear is not compatible with pve gear)

- repeating quests over and over

- farm 10k mobs of each kind all achievements

- farm lair mobs for more achievements ?

result of bugged encounters and skills btw. is that half the population doesnt give a rats a** about exploting the s*** out of this game.

hitting your head against the same 5 bugged dungeons every day because endgame doesnt offer more, made 75% of my cabal empty over the last 2 weeks.

the big joke is that some of the bugs are fixed acording to funcoms patchnotes. and another funny thing is the recent "content-update", which is just the release of stuff that was too bugged at start and was held back.

with 50% of the fc staff gone now, what do you think will happen to this game ? remember how AO started with videos and content updates ?

• hpiquehpique Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

None of your scores make sense.

Aesthetics – 9.5??

How in the bloody hell did you find it "ok" to take what essentially boils down to "Graphics" and turn it into a major scoring point for TSW? Graphics =/= a game. This shouldn't be a scoring point!

Game Play – 8.5??

This is a highly opinion based score area given the fact that people whom like WoW will like TSW's gameplay, but generally speaking people whom like DAOC, EQ, SWG, or even Age of Conan's combat system will dislike it immensely. You should put near the beginning of your article which game you mostly relate to for your scores. Obviously I don't agree at all with an "8.5" given TSW's horribly clunky & non-intuitive combat system. Not to mention the horrible animations.

Value & Longevity – 8.0??

Your primary reason, as stated, for this scoring point was based on SWTOR's recent announcement about F2P and that since TSW already has a cash-shop it'll make a clean transition to F2P should subs prove to dip too low?!

Value & Longevity is a scoring point, in most reviews, that dictate replayability & end-game enjoyment. At the VERY LEAST it has nothing to do with the payment model associated with the game.

NONE OF THE POINTS YOU RAISED FOR SCORING MAKE ANY SENSE AS A PRIMARY REVIEWBASE!

Next, we look at your overall Pros/Cons that have zero connection to any of your previous scoring points:

Pros    Deep skill system - Just a facade, not actually "deep"  GREAT story - Agreed, but so did SWTOR  Meaningful dungeons - How exactly are they "meaningful", they have no impact at all on the world outside those instances?!  Tiered and unique questing - Same quest system used by WoW. Go to point A get quests 1 - 9, do quests, go to Point B for higher tiered/chained quests. Nothing unique here other than the occassional "gem" with a half-decent story behind it. Cons    Lack of initial character customization - Yup  Lackluster PvP - Yup  Repetitive trash mobs - Yup

[mod edited - removed some spacing]

It's a reveiw... All his opinions...Just cause you don't like the game doesn't mean anything, I found all his points rather solid, not just the skill system is just a facade... Cause I said so.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

Pc Gamer gave it a 6.9. The mmorpg.com review makes more sense.

I lean more towards the PC Gamer score...To me it just wasn't a very good MMO...the game should have been made as a single player....It had alot of weaknesses imo including animations, combat, overdone voice acting and cutscenes.....TSW is built for very short term and that just isn't how a MMO should be made....Also the cash grab that was made with this game was a big turn off.