Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gear in GW2 and PVP

VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Hello folks,

As much I've heard there is not really anything needed for PVPing there, because you all get maxed gear.

I simply wanted to ask do you get any reward for pvp'ing or is it only about fun, or do they use a simple ranking system to boost players PVP lust.

As i can speak of my experience people don't like PVPing aslong they don't get anything for it. Thats why it simply confuses me.

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eipmtgcGILE

[short] vid by Taugrim that answers your questions.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

I'm sure I'm going to muck this up however. I know you get cosmetic armors and stuff for pvp, and their are stats but I think they are not marginally different or something like that. A better person who pvp's a lot would be better equipped to answer your question.

But in short yes you do get armors and what not, you just wont be more uber than someone who say...just started playing the game. Where your winning comes in is your skill in playing the game. Recognizing your skills and the skills of the opponent and playing appropriately. This I think is where the fun will come in and as such this is why GW2 will be the first MMO I actually dedicate some time if not a significant portion to playing PVP.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

You get better looking gear.  Your opening set of gear is pretty basic and the only way to get the cool looking stuff is to unlock it.

I didn't really get into the structured PvP though, I prefer the WvW side of things so perhaps someone can provide a better answer than me.

For WvW you don't start with maxed gear or abilities like in structured.  You take in what you have and your stats are boosted to 80 equivalent so you don't get insta-killed.  You can earn gear from drops or buy it for Karma/badges.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_reward

Obviously this is still being filled in as information becomes available.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• NickraiderNickraider Member UncommonPosts: 131

For sPvP the gear you earn is from pvp chests which contain cosmetic armor, 50% glory boosts, and rank finishers (displays your animal on kill, like Rabbit rank 1-9, Deer rank 10-19 etc.)

You get a PvP chest from when you Rank up, Participate in sPvP tourneys, and buying them off the appropriate rank glory vendor.

Glory is the currency to buy sPvP stuff off the vendors. Gain glory from sPvP matches and tourneys.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

So actually its like playing LoL? Some players get Skins some players just play for fun some for rankings and nothing afflicts the pvp mechanics actually.

Im not so sure if that makes player addicted much in a mmo, but we will see it though.

I would have alot of fun, as hardcore pvp'er in every game but not sure if others will have a "Longtime fun experience" with that

Originally posted by Vapors

So actually its like playing LoL? Some players get Skins some players just play for fun some for rankings and nothing afflicts the pvp mechanics actually.

Im not so sure if that makes player addicted much in a mmo, but we will see it though.

I would have alot of fun, as hardcore pvp'er in every game but not sure if others will have a "Longtime fun experience" with that

pretty much!

but the spvp is designed for those who are into that sort of thing.

for those who aren't, and are looking for a "longitme fun experience" doing something else, theres the other 95% of the game!

• NickraiderNickraider Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Having done strictly only sPvP on BWE3 I have to say I was addicted to getting my next rank up and getting more cosmetic armor to show off  :D not really like LoL since you have to buy with real money for the cosmetic armor/skin this armor you earn through playing. Armor you get comes with no stats and is only enhanced by whatever runes you decide to put on it in the pvp area. (runes are free)
  • xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Hello folks,

As much I've heard there is not really anything needed for PVPing there, because you all get maxed gear.

I simply wanted to ask do you get any reward for pvp'ing or is it only about fun, or do they use a simple ranking system to boost players PVP lust.

As i can speak of my experience people don't like PVPing aslong they don't get anything for it. Thats why it simply confuses me.

Thats funny because everyone I have talked to love te idea of no gear grind other than for specific stats or looks. I would actually be interested to see a study about this and if age/years gaming have anything to do with it. Most that I talk to are all in thier mid 20's all the way up to an old guildy who is 73. Most of us have been playing MMO's since the earlier days and some obviously started with MUDS.

I'm not saying you and your friends are young or dumb. I'm just curious if the demegraphic is diffrent.

Something I am trying to get people to think about as well. Is it really that you feel you MUST have more stats or is that what you have been trained to think? Even years ago in AC maxed loot was fairly easy to get. However getting a good looking set was a pain in the ass. Thats how I see GW2.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Correction: PvE scrubs who want to mooch off other players in PvP to get PvE usable gear do not like to PvP without rewards.

Real PvP players get enough reward from the fight itself. But to your question you get unique appearance gear from PvP.
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Nickraider

Having done strictly only sPvP on BWE3 I have to say I was addicted to getting my next rank up and getting more cosmetic armor to show off  :D not really like LoL since you have to buy with real money for the cosmetic armor/skin this armor you earn through playing. Armor you get comes with no stats and is only enhanced by whatever runes you decide to put on it in the pvp area. (runes are free)
    I don't expect runes will be free come release, they will cost pvp points, but I could be wrong

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Hello folks,

As far as sPvP goes, no, there is no incentive to do it really.  I'd compare it to LoL or a C.O.D. match, but even those games give you a few rpg elements to play with.  In GW2 the rewards are all cosmetic from what I've seen, so who gives a %&@# really.   You are basically in it until the novelty wears off.   Some will love it, some will hate it.  It's a great system for people that can only play for an hour or two a week. 

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    I will play this mainly for pvp. Those who prefer gear over skills can still do WvW.

Only downside is you can't look like the same in pve and sPvP
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

pretty much!

for those who aren't, and are looking for a "longitme fun experience" doing something else, theres the other 95% of the game!

its a pvp game so its not 95% its more or less 10-20% at all. So thats why its a basic Issue about pvp, i guess alot of people will just realise that they cant grind up their pvp with gear and they get "damn nothing for me" but like said we will see how it will grow.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    I have no idea where you get the impression that pve only accounts for 10-20% of the content.

On topic, yep, it's weapon and armor skins as rewards, as well as different ranks.
    OP, but people are also tired of doing arena 1 hour a week
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

pretty much!

its a pvp game so its not 95% its more or less 10-20% at all. So thats why its a basic Issue about pvp, i guess alot of people will just realise that they cant grind up their pvp with gear and they get "damn nothing for me" but like said we will see how it will grow.

Seems to work very well for LoL.

And there are tournaments for prizes. With GW1 I think they were monthly?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Correction: PvE scrubs who want to mooch off other players in PvP to get PvE usable gear do not like to PvP without rewards.

Real PvP players get enough reward from the fight itself. But to your question you get unique appearance gear from PvP.

This is going a little far. I prefer something more than skins as a real pvpr.

To the other poster 36 built my own BBS 23 years ago, and I loved muds. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

pretty much!

its not a pvp game, you're going to have to prove that or i will disregard it.

about the 95% remark, i thought we were discussing structured pvp only.  that was my misunderstanding perhaps.  in any case i simply fabricated a high number to illustrate my point that structured pvp is a small part of the game, with the bulk of GW2's content being in WvW and the PVE game.

I have no interest in arguing over the exact percentage of the content structured pvp represents though.

- all the best to you!

People say if they do not offer you being overpowered vs newcomers, people gets bored.

Counter-strike says hello.
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    People say if they do not offer you being overpowered vs newcomers, people gets bored.

Counter-strike says hello.

No people say "I want a better sword for all those people I killed coming up." 

In my opinion there are 2 things that drive pvprs.

1. Getting better/getting the most out of the tools given. For 98% of mmos that's getting the most out of your class and spec.

2. The spoils of war. 

Once those two things are done you have usually played A LOT of matches. This is when they ask "Why am I doing this?" If a pvpr starts to ask this, they leave shortly after or attempt to reroll.

pretty much!

about the 95% remark, i thought we were discussing structured pvp only.  that was my misunderstanding perhaps.  in any case i simply fabricated a high number to illustrate my point that structured pvp is a small part of the game, with the bulk of GW2's content being in WvW and the PVE game.

I have no interest in arguing over the exact percentage of the content structured pvp represents though.

- all the best to you!

I can't proove its a pvp game, but gw1 was a pvp game and as much I've heard on every forum and stuff its basicly PVP with a kind of pve content (8 doungens and story atm)

And as much in know WvW is also PVP, hows the pvp there also maxed gear or it doesnt matter there and people have their own gear from doungens to use?

Btw another question to the WvW then is there any reward beside better outfits?

pretty much!

- all the best to you!

I can't proove its a pvp game, but gw1 was a pvp game and as much I've heard on every forum and stuff its basicly PVP with a kind of pve content (8 doungens and story atm)

And as much in know WvW is also PVP, hows the pvp there also maxed gear or it doesnt matter there and people have their own gear from doungens to use?

No. 

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I went out and threw all my points on gear right before the wipe. My sylvani ranger looked like toad from mario.

WvW gear is whatever you have on your character just like in PVE.  the only difference being your level and stats/hp are scaled up to max level.  i cannot confirm how well the scaling works or any details on it.

as for if there are any rewards besides better outfits in WvW.. yes.. you gain experience/skill points/gold/karma/items in WvW just like in PVE (which applies even at level 80).

but once again, once your character is level 80 and has unlocked everything, you're not going to keep getting +1s on your gear forever.  like most MMOs, once you get your best gear you're done getting gear and you just get to collect cosmetic items, work towards legendary items, and play for the joy of it or quit if it is joyless.