Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the next Age of Conan?

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Originally posted by ThemePork

I find it a little fishy that Anet is limiting beta access to the weekends only. To me that's saying either that they're trying to hide something (the game's lack of depth perhaps) or that they want the players to stay in the first impressions "honey moon" state in order to up the hype.

Either way, it's kind of dodgy if you ask me.

so u think Anet should give unlimited access to its product before its released? yeah good business practice that....Especially for a b2p game u would just have people powerlevelling to 80 in a week then complaining there is no content, when infact they just rushed passed it all to get to max

Betas shouldn't be used to further business unless it's the business of fixing/completing the game.  Anet isn't the only company guilty of abusing a "beta" to sell their game, but it doesn't excuse the practice. These weekend beta events, and beta events for pre-orders/pre-purchasers aren't true betas. They're chances to show off a game with a very convenient excuse when something goes wrong: It's beta!

Don't think for a second that there isn't something very intentional in their limited use of weekend only time. Note: I'm not saying they're doing anything sinister, or keeping secrets or whatever, but keeping gamers in the honeymoon period sounds very much like a spot on guess.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Well no one can give a real opinion on the games high end content so in that regard it is all hype considering that's where 10/10 games fail. GW2 is looking promising but don't forget it's one bad end game away from flopping harder then Diablo 3, gameplay wise. Financially it's already a success but gamers hardly care about that.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Ugh, I was so hyped up for Warhammer ... I can't even begin to express how pumped I was.  I never really got into AOC.  But after what happened with WAR, I swore I would never get hyped up for a game and I haven't ... until GW2, but I've been following GW2 as long as WAR was even in development.  Much more educated hype in this case.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I find it a little fishy that Anet is limiting beta access to the weekends only. To me that's saying either that they're trying to hide something (the game's lack of depth perhaps) or that they want the players to stay in the first impressions "honey moon" state in order to up the hype.

They were only limiting the large scale events and those were basically large scale server tests.  They had a beta running the entire time but that was limited to a much smaller base of players.

If this has already been explained, sorry for the redundancy.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by iamthekiller

Who remembers the hype before AOC released? Damn when I finally got out of tortage it was like someone dropped a cinder block on my john.

Anyway, who thinks Arena.net is fixing to drop some cinder blocks on our johns?

The fact you even made this thread shows you have never played the betas. Or you are just trying to troll.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by stragen001

so u think Anet should give unlimited access to its product before its released? yeah good business practice that....Especially for a b2p game u would just have people powerlevelling to 80 in a week then complaining there is no content, when infact they just rushed passed it all to get to max

Betas shouldn't be used to further business unless it's the business of fixing/completing the game.  Anet isn't the only company guilty of abusing a "beta" to sell their game, but it doesn't excuse the practice. These weekend beta events, and beta events for pre-orders/pre-purchasers aren't true betas. They're chances to show off a game with a very convenient excuse when something goes wrong: It's beta!

Don't think for a second that there isn't something very intentional in their limited use of weekend only time. Note: I'm not saying they're doing anything sinister, or keeping secrets or whatever, but keeping gamers in the honeymoon period sounds very much like a spot on guess.

Thank you for your opinion but I disagree. For starters BW1 had terrible lag the first few hours and it was fixed. There were numerous bugs that I personally reported and were fixed by BW2. It wasn't just for advertising. 

If you want problems fixed in your gam,e you are going to have a much better chance of fixing them with dedicated players. Pre-purchasing allowed responsible, interested players to help in the beta process.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

there full beta going ont he weekend thing is more a stress test show in tell kinda thing

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by aesperus

Who remembers the hype before AOC released? Damn when I finally got out of tortage it was like someone dropped a cinder block on my john.

Just curious, but why are you interested enough to consider buying the guildwars books, but still suggesting that this game is basically vaporware.

AoC had some good ideas, but lacked a crap ton of polish, and continuously lied about having certain features playable for launch.

Anet has not only shown that they are capable of putting out fairly polished content with minimal playtesting (Sylvari / Asuran areas), they've also been pretty honest about features they don't think will be ready for launch (spectator mode). They've also been spending a lot of time on changes that we as players have asked for, and have been very quick to implement them.

You can think GW2 is going to be another AoC, but I don't see any practical reason to think that. Funcom has a history of rushing out buggy / infinished products. Some of them they managed to polish up after, others not so much. Anet is still a relatively new company, but they have already shown they can deliver on their promises.

this

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by eGumball

I am talking about '' facts '', not personal opinion and I don´t really need to a give a good argument to what I have mentioned above since it is clear. However, I will explain it pretty simply:

When someone come here to Guild Wars 2 forums and post '' This is gonna fail '' and later on the same day, he/she opens a thread on another forums calling their game '' the best MMORPG up to date'', you should as a gamer notice that something is wrong. Entering this game´s forum, spamming with threads with no arguments at all, and later, praising another game, also with no arguments means one and only thing: you see Guild Wars 2 as the game that is hurting yours for some reason. This is how humans are, sadly. They want their game, car, job and even mobile to be the best, all others are shit.

I have said it many times, when you say that this game is shit, please give me a better title and the argument to that. There´s a different between personal opinion and rating. You can say that TSW looks better than Guild Wars 2, however, you can´t say that TSW has better graphics because that aspect isn´t rated by '' I don´t like fantasy mmos ''. There´s a different between, personal opinion and red flags.

I am still here btw, asking for a better title in the whole MMO-industry.

Think you got that backwards.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by bcbully

I am talking about '' facts '', not personal opinion and I don´t really need to a give a good argument to what I have mentioned above since it is clear. However, I will explain it pretty simply:

When someone come here to Guild Wars 2 forums and post '' This is gonna fail '' and later on the same day, he/she opens a thread on another forums calling their game '' the best MMORPG up to date'', you should as a gamer notice that something is wrong. Entering this game´s forum, spamming with threads with no arguments at all, and later, praising another game, also with no arguments means one and only thing: you see Guild Wars 2 as the game that is hurting yours for some reason. This is how humans are, sadly. They want their game, car, job and even mobile to be the best, all others are shit.

I have said it many times, when you say that this game is shit, please give me a better title and the argument to that. There´s a different between personal opinion and rating. You can say that TSW looks better than Guild Wars 2, however, you can´t say that TSW has better graphics because that aspect isn´t rated by '' I don´t like fantasy mmos ''. There´s a different between, personal opinion and red flags.

I think you got it backwards. Shouldn't you be on the TSW trying to convince everyone that TSW is the greatest thing since AoC?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by silvermember

I think you got it backwards. Shouldn't you be on the TSW trying to convince everyone that TSW is the greatest thing since AoC?

To be fair, there's only so much Fusang a person can do in one day before he starts to question his sanity.

Bully, I know that feel, bro. You can join my guild when GW2 launches. It's going to be just us Brooklyn heads.

Edit: Nevermind, for some reason I assumed that you were from Brooklyn but either way, I still got you bro.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by seridan

Anyone who already played the game won't think anything like that.

Also, there are already vids showing higher level zones around the map and the content there seems to be on par (if not better) than the rest of the game. We DO know what's after the areas available during the beta and looks equally polished. We haven't seen Orr though, a sneak peek of Orr would be nice

I just quoted you not for your post, but to pick you out.

Follow you're own sig :P

Block them out.

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82

i think people are underestimating how fast ANet can make content - free or not.  this is the same company that was able to make 2 stand-alone campaigns for GW1 that are as big, if not bigger than the original game(Prophecies) content-wise, as well as Sorrow's Furnace in just 1 1/2 years. not to mention with a dev team with less than 50(?) people at the time.

imagine how much they can do now that they have had 5 years to develop GW2 with 250+ people working on it.  sure there are a lot of factors to take into account like the time it takes to implement new systems, reiterating game mechanics, etc. but i can't see those things affecting the development of the game that much that ANet would end up doing the same thing Funcom did back then with AoC.

and besides, have u already forgotten the dreaded phrase "when it's ready" that ANet used to throw around when people ask anything remotely related to a release date? i doubt it's just their version of "no comment".

• EvokerzEvokerz Member UncommonPosts: 37
    YES, The Age of Guild Wars is nigh! Move over, WoW.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I'm worried about how many people will be able to actually fight in one area in WvW.

They say what like 1200 can be fighting at the same time? I don't care how beastly anyone's system is, with GW2's level of graphics I just don't see that being doable.

I'm gussing that's why they split the maps into smaller objective's, so the 1200 people don't gather into one massive zerg vs zerg. Although a 1200 person battle would be bad ass. I just don't see it happening.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Seriously have we stooped so low as a gaming community for such asanine posts?

Play the damn game and let it stand on its own merit, if you dont like it move on and find something that tickles your fancy.   I assure you though this game will be the next biggest hit and all the markers in the stars is pointing to this becoming the next WoW like phonomenon.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by jusomdude

I'm worried about how many people will be able to actually fight in one area in WvW.

They say what like 1200 can be fighting at the same time? I don't care how beastly anyone's system is, with GW2's level of graphics I just don't see that being doable.

I'm gussing that's why they split the maps into smaller objective's, so the 1200 people don't gather into one massive zerg vs zerg. Although a 1200 person battle would be bad ass. I just don't see it happening.

It's 1200 across all maps. 300 per map. My PC isn't the most powerful rig out there (2600K, HD 6870 2 Gb), but it could handle 40 or so characters on screen at once on almost-ultra settings without a noticable drop in FPS.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Another lazy, ill-considered and ultimately useless thread - it is perfectly clear from the betas that it isn't AoC on virtually any level.

I LOVED AoC's graphics, lore and gritty feel - but thank God - ANet isn't Funcom and they actually give a damn about their customers, and of course - aren't releasing 18 months too early with less than a third of the promised features.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

LOL AOC only got good when you left Tortage... After doing Tort more than once it got pretty boring.. as soon as you left AOC became mroe of a traditional mmorpg and infact now its one of the better themepark mmorpgs in the market..

But no GW2 is not the next age of conan..

Graphics wise technically GW2 does not come close to AOC or TSW.. art wise well thats down to chocie.. me i like the low fantasty setting in AOC and like the modern settnig ni TSW.. some people dont

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    GW2 after start zones is much better. much better DE, more hard DE with long chains, much hard mobs, less heart quests. conclusion: from what i saw ( lvl 32 Necro furing BW1/2) game get better and better when you go high lvl zones
  • eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

If you would have used two extra seconds to read what I have said, you will realize that what I meant is simply .. You can not consider a game to have better graphics just because you hate fantasy looking MMOs. 

BTW .. There is only one MMO in the market with better graphics than GW2 and it is Tera, all other " this MMO looks much better " is just an opinion.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Well no one can give a real opinion on the games high end content so in that regard it is all hype considering that's where 10/10 games fail. GW2 is looking promising but don't forget it's one bad end game away from flopping harder then Diablo 3, gameplay wise. Financially it's already a success but gamers hardly care about that.

True, endgame is most often the problem, for all but us alterholics who don't believe in it anyway, however with GW2 my understanding it that endgame consists of harder versions of 5 mans, the easier versions have already been seen, WvW which was in beta, and going through the earlier open world content using the scaling system, which was in beta up to a certain lvl, so people have already have enough experience to infer what endgame in GW2 is like.

I wasn't in the betas so somone correct or confirm that.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Metentso
    Originally posted by ste2000

The opposite

The first 10 levels of GW2 is the worst part...............the game gets better while you level

I played AoC beta an there is no comparison with GW2.

Already in the "game gets better in later lavels" phase? That's fast.

Gets better than the first zones. So if the first zones are awesome, the later zones are double awesome.

OMG yes double awesome all the way accross the sky!!!

Get ready for the de-hype, it will hit hard.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

well its just another themepark mmo.

After you hit max level, the game will begin to bore you... we saw it in all themepark mmos before.But hey, its free. So for 50 euro you will have maybe 30-40 hours of fun, before its starts to get boring, fair deal.

And dont come me with , "I was in beta, I know the game is fun and will hold me for year"....

Beta shows only that what the developers what you to show so that you buy the game.

This discussion has been closed.