Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the RPG out of MMORPG

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

As far as video games are concerned, RPG's have always been about advancing your character through levels, loot, and story.

I believe crafting is much more of a virtual world feature, so it belongs in the MMORPG.

The thing is, I see a lot of players complaining about the "grind" of either leveling, looting, or crafting, and sometimes all of them. And I have to ask myself, what the hell are you doing playing these games?

The sad thing is, MMORPG makers are starting to cater to these complainers, taking away the things that makes RPG's RPG's.

Story can pretty much be forgotten about since the spacebar was player's favorite key in SWTOR.

Gear is on it's way out with games like GW2.

Leveling is pretty much the only thing we're left with, and I think it's probably gonna be on it's way out shortly also.

So, what does that leave us with? Something akin to street fighter online where you just log in to beat the shit out of mobs/players for I'm not sure what exactly. The "fun" of it I guess.

It's like anything that takes a little effort is frowned upon by the masses, and it's a damn shame.

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

...Yes.

With Ca$h $hop options for those who want to skip the already lacking "grind". 

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158

Yes, it is sad.

Mmorpg is used a bit too freely, I think. Most that claim to be are really lobby mmo's or just action mmo's. A true mmorpg is just too niche to be as profitable as these games now need to be.

And grind has gotten a nasty reputation. It used to be a good thing. Character progression in many forms. It has come to mean the tedious stuff that gets in the way of combat. 

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

They're just swapping traditional grinds with newer ones like PvP ladders, achievements, reputation/fame etc.

You can't get rid of grinding in MMORPGs, that's the one thing that keeps players hooked.

People asking for less grind have no idea what they're talking about and should most probably be playing other types of games.

MMOs need more grinds (multiple and varied), not less. That's how you get a sense of progression and progression is what MMORPGs are all about.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I find this to be odd since you speak out against the one game lately that is trying to put the RPG back in MMOs by making the game about the journey about the exploration.. also with GW2 gear is far from on its way out...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Isn't "fun" good enough for a game?

Isn't that what games are for?

I mean if you play a cards you always play the same game and for hours on end. There's no gear progression playing poker. You play it because it's fun!

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    TSW is going against this trend.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Magnetia

obviously it should be.. only problem is fun is one of the most subjective terms around.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    I find this to be odd since you speak out against the one game lately that is trying to put the RPG back in MMOs by making the game about the journey about the exploration.. also with GW2 gear is far from on its way out...

Agreed.  GW2 is taking away those restrictions from traditional rgps that prevent you and/or ruin the gameplay for one or more people; levels, gear, gear levels, charisma/notoriety.  

It's a game first, and a social game as well where friends for the majority would like to play together and not be held back from being able to play together because of the restrictions of traditional mmorpgs.

It's more like, where did the "RP" go in "RPG".  Yeuh?  No one role plays anymore, and sayings "I am a tank" or "I am teh healz11011" is not role playing.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I mean if you play a cards you always play the same game and for hours on end. There's no gear progression playing poker. You play it because it's fun!

Nobody plays poker for fun. We all play for money.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by jusomdude

As far as video games are concerned, RPG's have always been about advancing your character through levels, loot, and story.

I believe crafting is much more of a virtual world feature, so it belongs in the MMORPG.

The thing is, I see a lot of players complaining about the "grind" of either leveling, looting, or crafting, and sometimes all of them. And I have to ask myself, what the hell are you doing playing these games?

The sad thing is, MMORPG makers are starting to cater to these complainers, taking away the things that makes RPG's RPG's.

Story can pretty much be forgotten about since the spacebar was player's favorite key in SWTOR.

Gear is on it's way out with games like GW2.

Leveling is pretty much the only thing we're left with, and I think it's probably gonna be on it's way out shortly also.

So, what does that leave us with? Something akin to street fighter online where you just log in to beat the shit out of mobs/players for I'm not sure what exactly. The "fun" of it I guess.

It's like anything that takes a little effort is frowned upon by the masses, and it's a damn shame.

Last time I checked GW2 was very much a MMORPG game! But hey, you'd know that if you played any of the Betas!

Role-playing Game

Several varieties of RPG also exist in electronic media, such as multi-player text-based MUDs and their graphics-based successors, massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs). Role-playing games also include single-player offline role-playing video games in which players control a character or team who undertake quests, and may include capabilities that advance using statistical mechanics. These games often share settings and rules with tabletop RPGs, but emphasize character advancement more than collaborative storytelling.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

gee, only 3 posts in and we start talking about gw2....sad.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I just don't see what GW2 is really doing that is so great for the MMORPG. They let you run old content, That's great. I can go back and explore in any MMO I play.

The problem is there's not an infinite amount of interesting locations to visit, not in GW2, or any game. I'm guessing I could explore the full GW2 maps in less than a month, perhaps only a few weeks.

GW2 is doing an awsome job of belittling gear. Why should I go looking for loot when I can compete with my lvl 1 rusty dagger?

Originally posted by Nitth

gee, only 3 posts in and we start talking about gw2....sad.

op brought it up.. but either way it fits his OP so what's the issue?

I just don't see what GW2 is really doing that is so great for the MMORPG. They let you run old content, That's great. I can go back and explore in any MMO I play.

The problem is there's not an infinite amount of interesting locations to visit, not in GW2, or any game. I'm guessing I could explore the full GW2 maps in less than a month, perhaps only a few weeks.

GW2 is doing an awsome job of belittling gear. Why should I go looking for loot when I can compete with my lvl 1 rusty dagger?

you can't and that sentance right there shows you really haven't looked into the game much at all.

you can't and that sentance right there shows you really haven't looked into the game much at all.

Yeah, ok, so here comes the big contradiction of GW2... gear matters... but it doesn't matter.

Originally posted by Nitth gee, only 3 posts in and we start talking about gw2....sad.  
    op brought it up.. but either way it fits his OP so what's the issue?

The op's mention of gw2 was not central to the arguement a meer support for one of his opionions.

And now we are going to shift to how guild wars 2 is 'this, and not that' and its going to subtract from a meaningful dissuasion on the state of rpg elements in mmorpgs.

I'm really not bashing on the game here, I just really wish ppl could have a discussion without bringing in gw2.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

This statement here tells me you're not even a fan of video games! Why are you even here?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

No company has the money to do that.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Yeah, ok, so here comes the big contradiction of GW2... gear matters... but it doesn't matter.

didn't want to turn this into a gw2 thread but gw2 has gear progression the main difference is once you hit cap the gap between entry level 80 gear and top level 80 gear isn't even close to as big as a game like wow. That's not to say gw2 has no gear progression though and gear doesn't matter at all because it very much does.

Yeah I also mentioned SWTOR, but it doesn't matter, any thread to criticise GW2 in any form, even if it's not the main point of the post is destined to turn into a GW2 battle to the death.

No company has the money to do that.

Well it actually could be done with procedural/randomized generation.

Or even player made locations... many possiblilities.

Yeah I also mentioned SWTOR, but it doesn't matter, any thread to criticise GW2 in any form, even if it's not the main point of the post is destined to turn into a GW2 battle to the death.

was just having a discussion since I felt gw2 is bringing the RPG back to MMOs that is all.

Lol, is that from a micheal jackson video?

Lol, is that from a micheal jackson video?

Yes..lol.