Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There are no factions to join in this game?

2»

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

There are in fact factions within this game that you're able to pick.  They will alter your storyline when you're roughly midlevel or so (presumably).

These factions are the following:

The Vigil:

"The Vigil is a military order dedicated to fighting the Elder Dragons and their minions by force of arms. They believe that the only way to defeat the Elder Dragons is to unite the races of Tyria and to face the minions of the Elder Dragons wherever they appear. The Vigil wants to face the Elder Dragons directly, testing Zhaitan's power in the hope that such methods can one day be used against the dragon itself. They believe that the Elder Dragons grow more powerful as each day passes, and that those who do not fight now are giving the world away by standing passively aside. They intend to be an army of light against the onslaught of darkness.[1]

Players may join the Vigil during their personal story."  - Guild Wars 2 Wiki

Durmand Priory:

"Durmand Priory, established in 1105 AE, is a scholarly order dedicated to protecting knowledge and lore. Named for the monastery which houses their archives, and in turn for the monastery's founder Durmand, members of the Durmand Priory offer services as advisors, tutors and chroniclers across Tyria. They are willing to share their gathered knowledge but do so cautiously. Durmand Priory is one of three major multi-racial orders who are looking for ways to combat the Elder Dragons. They hope that intellect, or some lost piece of knowledge, can save the world from the rise of the dragons.

Players may join the Priory during their personal story."  - Guild wars 2 Wiki

The Order of Whispers: 

"The Order of Whispers is a secretive ancient Elonian order. They work behind the scenes to safeguard the world against the rise of the Elder Dragons and free and restore the troubled Elona. Its members, often spies, thieves and agents, operate within every Tyrian nation sometimes to the highest levels. Their extensive network is able to gather information from everywhere, even areas blocked to travel, such as Elona which has long since been isolated under Palawa Joko's rule.

The Order of Whispers is one of three multi-racial orders which players join as part of their personal story. They believe there is no way to physically destroy or negotiate with the Elder Dragons so the only way to counter them is to find a way to send them back to sleep.

Like the other orders, it has a base inside each major city, including in the sewers of Lion's Arch."  - Guild Wars 2 Wiki

When you pick which side you want to join, your story will branch out for their specific questlines and you will try to address problems in the manner they are accustomed to.

So far these 3 factions are PvE only..

However i would not be surprised if one day in the far future there would be a PvP battlefield where these factions can fight eachother.   Maybe a  Dynamic event (like the final events we have seen at the end of BWE)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

However i would not be surprised if one day in the far future there would be a PvP battlefield where these factions can fight eachother.   Maybe a  Dynamic event (like the final events we have seen at the end of BWE)

Indeed.  Though they are factions within the game that have conflictions with one another, and an overall enemy to fight.  It's also a faction based system that's intertwined with your personal story, and you don't get to pick it at the character creation.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

This game is, for lack of a better term, a giant hug-fest.  We're all buddies in this game right down to the fact that there are no world PvP servers.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Keeping spoilers to myself. All I'm going to say is it's not likely.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Magnetia

Server pride > faction pride

The point of people being cooperative on the server is the quote above.^^^

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

I've been pleasantly surprised by the 'server is a faction' approach they took. I wasn't sure at first because I was so used to other games but, it seems like it offers the same pride/teamwork experience while also providing several advantages in terms of full content exposure to the entire playerbase and not just a subset of them. Knowing that every time something gets added to the game I will get to experience it and everyone will get to experience it equally  (not just because i happen to be in the right faction at the time) is a big plus for me.

And consequently they will have eliminated the faction balance whines with the same change (why did horde get this but alliance didnt?! Devs are favoring horde!!! rabble rabble rabble)

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

This game is, for lack of a better term, a giant hug-fest.  We're all buddies in this game right down to the fact that there are no world PvP servers.

World pvp doesnt work unless the game is designed with world pvp in mind from day 1.  You cant just flip a switch and expect a game thats designed around pve, mechanics designed around pve, to have meaningful open world pvp beyond ganking and zerging. 

And yes, I did play a real pvp game before, Shadowbane had some of the greatest pvp in any game ive played, if only the rest of the game wasnt completly horrible.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Derros
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

World pvp doesnt work unless the game is designed with world pvp in mind from day 1.  You cant just flip a switch and expect a game thats designed around pve, mechanics designed around pve, to have meaningful open world pvp beyond ganking and zerging. 

And yes, I did play a real pvp game before, Shadowbane had some of the greatest pvp in any game ive played, if only the rest of the game wasnt completly horrible.

If only world PvP would have atleast the objectives GW2 has in WvWvW, it could be fun... but none of those other MMO even remotely seems to grab that players need other objectives in World PvP then just killing other players. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Impeator101

I don't see why you're server can't stay one color, I know certain colors may have designated start locations but they can just rotate them after a game is over. 

They should add some made up lore based on the server you are on with some exclusive ingame gear associated with your server, only changing the aesthetics of you're character, like a server emblem. To bad, seems like I will have to make something up myself, like my team are the good guys and the others are from an evil mirror universe that was already suggested. I could pretend all my enemies are from the Plane of Oblivion (Elder Scrolls). 

Sounds to me like you are overly focused on this "Color" concept.  Step back from that and just see it as a server name.

If the concept must be color faction for you to play a game and if this game doesn't meet your requirements and you are unwilling to be flexible about it, then this game might not be for you.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

No factions? I say AMEN! I have my concerns about what ANet is doing different in GW2 but this is one thing that I am 110% ok with. For once we don't have to choose between good (Alliance, Republic, etc.) and evil (Horde, Sith, etc.). This is such a breath of fresh air it makes me giddy!

But don't worry. I suspect that eventually there will be servers that specialize in pvp. You will soon see the forums advertising "x server is the uber pvp server".  When the fallout is over you will see the same thing happen to GW2 that happened to every other aaa mmo - clusters of population. As there were/are Horde dominate servers in WOW you will see pvp dominate servers in GW2. New game - same results.

• Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by tordurbar

No factions? I say AMEN! I have my concerns about what ANet is doing different in GW2 but this is one thing that I am 110% ok with. For once we don't have to choose between good (Alliance, Republic, etc.) and evil (Horde, Sith, etc.). This is such a breath of fresh air it makes me giddy!

But don't worry. I suspect that eventually there will be servers that specialize in pvp. You will soon see the forums advertising "x server is the uber pvp server".  When the fallout is over you will see the same thing happen to GW2 that happened to every other aaa mmo - clusters of population. As there were/are Horde dominate servers in WOW you will see pvp dominate servers in GW2. New game - same results.

You can still find huge pvp/rp-pvp realms with an almost even number of alliance/horde on them. I don't think Guild Wars 2 is for me, Lore and being part of a faction that has a purpose means a lot to me in a MMO. Guild Wars 2 has some of the most bland and boring Lore I have ever seen in an MMO, It is the most generic fantasy ever, WoW is much more apealing to me. The only the GW2 has that grabbed my attention was the huge WorldvsWorld pvp but having that while sacraficing Open World pvp, horrible, I love open-world pvp and WoW provides all that. 

Guild Wars 2 will fail against WoW and it will not attract as many people as WoW has. The Lore is crap, no Raiding and no Open World pvp. At least WoW makes you feel like you are part of a big exciting world while GW2 is boring generic fantasy crap.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

You can still find huge pvp/rp-pvp realms with an almost even number of alliance/horde on them. I don't think Guild Wars 2 is for me, Lore and being part of a faction that has a purpose means a lot to me in a MMO. Guild Wars 2 has some of the most bland and boring Lore I have ever seen in an MMO, It is the most generic fantasy ever, WoW is much more apealing to me. The only the GW2 has that grabbed my attention was the huge WorldvsWorld pvp but having that while sacraficing Open World pvp, horrible, I love open-world pvp and WoW provides all that. 

Guild Wars 2 will fail against WoW and it will not attract as many people as WoW has. The Lore is crap, no Raiding and no Open World pvp. At least WoW makes you feel like you are part of a big exciting world while GW2 is boring generic fantasy crap.

Ah, your true "colors" come out now, promoting a WOW agenda in a GW2 thread.

You have the game you want, go play it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Server pride, competing to be the top server in your region is > race locked factions.

Unless, of course, you LIKE population imbalances like you see in.. oh I don't know...

TSW, WoW, Rift, WAR, etc. etc. etc.

Yep exactly since every server will have the same amount of players the same amount of players actually playing the WvWvW and of course they also have the same overall gamingtimes all that to ensure that there is no possibility of imbalance....

Really??

Would it not be better to work together anyway?

I mean you have the big mean dragons you have to fight and you have nothing better to do than fighting well pretty much yourself?

Dont get me wrong i am looking forward to WvWvW and believe it will give me lots of fun but lets stay real and not try to make the lack of factions sound like its something awesome......

• gtmaster32gtmaster32 Member Posts: 24

Speaking of the color thing, in WvW your character doesnt change a certain color or color combo, but when viewing enemies itll be pretty obvious because you wont see their names, but itll say example: "Green invader" for every person on the green team, and by "Green" team i dont mean they are colored green, but when viewing the WvW hub thing, wiuth the pie chart over who has more points, itll say their server name, then have their assigned color.

In Structured pvp you will be colored blue or red as far as i know. But back to WvW, say if you were with a guild or some big group that always sticks together, you all can change your dyes to a certain color to match each other, but that is unlikely it will happen as it is not really needed. But once you get in-game and WvW youll see its pretty easy.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    A server is a faction, it's just a larger one.
  • Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

I like feeling that I am part of a faction with a specific goal and I have an enemy faction when I play a MMORPG. Guild Wars 2 doesn't have this does it? The World vs Word is simply different servers fighting, does you're server at least have a certain color? I do not wanna change colors after a World vs World game ends. 

Its server vs server and or Guild vs Guild.

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483
    Each server is a parallel universe. And Mists is the link between those planes. You fight over this linked plane against enemies from different parallel universes. The name of your faction is the name of your server. It sounds fun. :)
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I don't see why you're server can't stay one color, I know certain colors may have designated start locations but they can just rotate them after a game is over. 

They should add some made up lore based on the server you are on with some exclusive ingame gear associated with your server, only changing the aesthetics of you're character, like a server emblem. To bad, seems like I will have to make something up myself, like my team are the good guys and the others are from an evil mirror universe that was already suggested. I could pretend all my enemies are from the Plane of Oblivion (Elder Scrolls). 

Actually, all the other servers ARE alternate dimensions, that's not made up, that's just the way GW2 lore works.  :)

(edit:  Oh, disappointing!  After reading more, this whole topic is a whole bait and switch by somebody who prefers WoW.  Oh well.  Enjoy WoW!  It's not going anywhere.)

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Man, I was enjoying this thread, liking that it was a real qustion, and then you do this? Man.. that aint right. I am glad you like WoW, but coming on here with an agenda is just lame. Also, I use to play wow, was thinking about trying it out again till GW2 starts just to see the changes. Won't have to now, if it was still interesting you would be playing, not baiting people looking foward to a game that is NOT WoW.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Butregenyo
    Each server is a parallel universe. And Mists is the link between those planes. You fight over this linked plane against enemies from different parallel universes. The name of your faction is the name of your server. It sounds fun. :)

Why exactly are the parallel universes fighting each other when they fight for the same things in each universe?

I preordered the game and will certainly participate in WvWvW, but the lore for PVP sounds hokey.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Butregenyo

Why exactly are the parallel universes fighting each other when they fight for the same things in each universe?

I preordered the game and will certainly participate in WvWvW, but the lore for PVP sounds hokey.

I may be wrong but I thought the mists was basically like simulated past battles that you get to take part in. This was my understanding anyways and if that is so then there could be any number of reasons why 3 grps were fighting.