Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have lost all hope!

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by rdrakken

You dont go from over 10 million in sales in one game, to 500k subscribers and claim success.

You do not mix apples and oranges either.

Also, Skyrim was so successful only because of console sales, PC sales were like 10-15% total sales.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Gdemami
    Originally posted by rdrakkenYou dont go from over 10 million in sales in one game, to 500k subscribers and claim success.

Also, Skyrim was so successful only because of console sales, PC sales were like 10-15% total sales.

14% of Skyrim's sales were retail for the PC. The number of digital sales was probably much larger.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Alot

You dont go from over 10 million in sales in one game, to 500k subscribers and claim success.

14% of Skyrim's sales were retail for the PC. The number of digital sales was probably much larger.

Usually in mainstream titles, digital are at least same amount as boxed retail sales.  

So it would be safe to assume that PC totaled to around ~25% of total sales.  + games for PC tend to sell longer. There are still some sales like 2 years later, some games have sales ~10 years later (classics like BG1&BG2, Fallout, Morrowind, etc) while console games usually don't and when they do it is on much smaller scale.

Still IMO 500k + STABLE subs (not bleeding like hell and then 200k in 5 months) is SUCCESS. Big one.

Think people (and devs and investors) have to forget about WoW numbers. Many maybe even most WoW players will go play non-mmo games like LoL or Dota2, or Mechwarrior Online or World of Tanks or non-rpg mmo's like mmofps games - Planetside 2, etc 

instead of playing another mmorpg.  

Mmorpg genre WILL be smaller in 5 years than it is now and that's GOOD thing.

Online games and general mmo games will be bigger though.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by SimonVDH

I know little about this game, but I can tell you that, if it fails, it will do so for the same reason all previous MMORPGs failed; lack of immersion.

Generic gameplay and skills, generic quests, unimaginative, boring lore, static, disjointed world with invisble walls, linear progression, no real, meaningfull crafting and player-driven economy, unoriginal graphic style, all, or at least some, of those things, result in every MMORPG relesed lately failing to create any kind of immersion. Cutscenes with full voice-overs are good for 20-30 hours and singleplayer.

If developers of TESO can recreate the immersion of TES: Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim in big, interactive and open gameworld, with original graphic style, somewhat original skills and/or classes, non-linear progression, than it can be a great game.

I know it probably won't be this way and the game will turn out to be another quick money grab  :(

the game is a money grab using the TESO ip but the people making it are experienced with mmos

Matt Firor is leading Zenimax for this game

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,83290/

whether Matt pulls another "Mark Jacobs WAR" remains to be seen

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The number of digital sales was probably much larger.

Originally posted by fenistil

Usually in mainstream titles, digital are at least same amount as boxed retail sales.  

Source?

Also do not forget to add console digital sales!

However, Bethesda seems to think different:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16252-bethesda-90-of-elder-scrolls-audience-on-consoles/

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

Source?

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16252-bethesda-90-of-elder-scrolls-audience-on-consoles/

90% of ES audience on consoles ???????

What the hell, this must be a joke ??

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Bold prediction TESO will kill off GW2.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by bcbully

Bold indeed. rofl.....

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

EXACTLY WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

TES is an apple...they are trying to turn an apple into an orange. And do not say they are not...they said it themselves that it was the perfect time to make a TES MMO because its at the height of its popularity.

So, again. its at the height of its popularity...and the popularity isnt hitting TESO. Derp...just like your comment about skyrims sales that leaves out digital sales which makes up the majority of sale types for PCs now.

Hey I know, Skyrim only sold 2% of its sales via Walmart...lets exclude everything else to prove a point that Walmart sucks! Oh wait...Walmart does suck but thas besides the point.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by PowerGirl
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Originally posted by bcbully

Bold indeed. rofl.....

just like SWTOR and TERA, the TSW boys need something to do it for them.

Lets not turn it into one of those.... ;)

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Who knows; maybe next Zenimax will aquire the rights to the Mortal Kombat franchise, add zombies and turn it into a first person shooter MMO, because of DayZ's new popularity. 
  • KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by gasperk

Source?

90% of ES audience on consoles ???????

What the hell, this must be a joke ??

It is a joke.  But only on Matt Firor and the private investors funding this travesty of a game.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

If I can roleplay an Orc Blacksmith, and never really be into fighting, I just want to have a hut in the outskirts of civilization where i can practice my craft.  I never got into questing or combat much in Skyrim, and I will want to do very much the same in TESO.  I'll be happy as long as I can craft, then sell the stuff, and never have to pick up a blade unless some bandits try to rob me or something.  I'd be 100% behind this, I don't want 3rd person though, I like the immersiveness of 1st person :)

Edit: My blacksmith in Skyrim hasn't done but maybe 5 quests since I left Helgen...I spend my time mining, then making stuff, and selling them in town :)  There's no point to that really, but I'm a "REAL" MMO player, there really shouldn't be a point or end game to an MMO.

• AriannaeAriannae Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by travamars
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by gasperk
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Considering TES has the worst combat (my opinion) of any game i've played that sounds like good news.

Luckily for you, there are about a thousand other shitty tab-target games that cater to the gameplay you obviously enjoy.

There are some of us that are honestly sick of that style of gameplay, and the Elder Scrolls fit the gameplay that we enjoy. UNluckily for us, however, there are not very many MMOs that cater to our style of gameplay. The Elder Scrolls, however, fit the bill perfectly, and to see it be turned into some themepark tab-based game is very much a slap in the face, given that the single player versions are practically built to revolve around an increasingly larger niche group of players. Ie, the actual fans.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Gravarg

If I can roleplay an Orc Blacksmith, and never really be into fighting, I just want to have a hut in the outskirts of civilization where i can practice my craft.  I never got into questing or combat much in Skyrim, and I will want to do very much the same in TESO.  I'll be happy as long as I can craft, then sell the stuff, and never have to pick up a blade unless some bandits try to rob me or something.  I'd be 100% behind this, I don't want 3rd person though, I like the immersiveness of 1st person :)

Edit: My blacksmith in Skyrim hasn't done but maybe 5 quests since I left Helgen...I spend my time mining, then making stuff, and selling them in town :)  There's no point to that really, but I'm a "REAL" MMO player, there really shouldn't be a point or end game to an MMO.

This is going to be a theme park game bub. You're going to have to quest, token grind, raid to get schematic drops and non-trade crystals and all the other garbage theme park crafting offers.

All hope abandon ye who enter here.

a yo ho ho

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Ariannae

Luckily for you, there are about a thousand other shitty tab-target games that cater to the gameplay you obviously enjoy.

There are some of us that are honestly sick of that style of gameplay, and the Elder Scrolls fit the gameplay that we enjoy. UNluckily for us, however, there are not very many MMOs that cater to our style of gameplay. The Elder Scrolls, however, fit the bill perfectly, and to see it be turned into some themepark tab-based game is very much a slap in the face, given that the single player versions are practically built to revolve around an increasingly larger niche group of players. Ie, the actual fans.

I think tab targeting hardly makes or breaks a game.

How many times have you lit Lydia on fire or stabbed her in the butt with a weapon?  Multiply that on a grand scale 3-way faction pvp warzone.  Perhaps there's a "don't kill friendlies" work around, but it illustrates the problem with targeting.  If they can make it work, more power to Zenimax.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf
    Originally posted by Gravarg

This is going to be a theme park game bub. You're going to have to quest, token grind, raid to get schematic drops and non-trade crystals and all the other garbage theme park crafting offers.

All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Hope is a knave befools us evermore
    Which till I lost no happiness was mine.
    I strike from hell's to grave on heaven's door:
    All hope abandon ye who enter in

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Tavros
    Originally posted by Ariannae

How many times have you lit Lydia on fire or stabbed her in the butt with a weapon?  Multiply that on a grand scale 3-way faction pvp warzone.  Perhaps there's a "don't kill friendlies" work around, but it illustrates the problem with targeting.  If they can make it work, more power to Zenimax.

Oh woe the player!

You'd have to aim and not button mash or make a macro to simulate war.

Yeah that'd be terrible... I'm being sarcastic. 

I can see something akin to Age of Chivalry or Mount & Blade being imposing for a developing company to add to the MMORPG verse.

But taking Morrowind's combat and adding it to the game should be easy enough this day and age. I mean 8 years+ of tab, 123 123 123 macroing has to be tired.

a yo ho ho

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by Tavros

I hope you don't call yourself a gamer.

/puke

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I can't imagine this game being even remotely successful. Yet another blind company trying to get a taste of the WoW pie.

I'd play an actual Elder Scrolls like MMO, not this WoW clone with the Elder Scrolls name.

If I want to play a WoW like game, I'll frickin keep playing WoW.

Damn shame.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    They should have made it more like Embers of Caerus, in fact EoC looks already more like an Elder Scrolls game than TESO (first person perspective, sandbox, open world).

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Bethesda have repeatedly said they would not make an MMO, which is why the various Elder Scrolls games are all single player games, their good at it, and they do make the best games, i think the only link that Zenimax has utilised, in relation to Elder Scrolls, is really just Naming conventions and a few maps, anyone who has played Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim etc. Will only be disappointed if they expect anything like that from Zenimax's MMO, as the most important features that Elder Scrolls games have,  are not in the MMO version. image
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    In fact what i did saw from E3 is that Elder Scrolls is best looking mmo in development
  • KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    In fact what i did saw from E3 is that Elder Scrolls is best looking mmo in development

Says who?  Every gaming site/forum/newsletter/magazine gives out their own E3 awards.  And Planetside 2 won almost all of the major ones this year.  So back in the real world, this joke of an MMO still looks tired and pathetic.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

They should have just converted skyrim or elder scrolls games to a MMO format. change the renderer swap out the engine code and make it multiplayer. design the server tech to work for it. I would have loved to be able to steal horses and break into some guys home and steal his candles. then get turned into a werewolf at full moon and go on a blood fest.

So much potential here wasted.