Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the next Age of Conan?

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Here is a list of some arguments that are presented against the game with rebuttals, in case it hasnt been posted here yet.

Will Guild Wars 2 Fail? - Part 1

Will Guild Wars 2 Fail? - Part 2

Will Guild Wars 2 Fail? - Part 3

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by eGumball

Do I need to bring you all the threads about how bad Guild Wars 2 is and how shocked the fans will be when the see the beta and realize that this game is a fail. Now, all these posters have been silent since then becase of the big facepalm they got.

People shout about how bad Guild Wars 2 community is, but what I see, is how childish the trollers are. Everything proves one and only fact: Fans from other games can´t stand the idea that there´s a game destorying their favo game in every aspect, so they open a thread to cry there a little bit.

I am pretty tired of all '' Guild Wars 2 will fail '' threads ... guys, if you know your favo game is so bad compared to Guild Wars 2, don´t come here to cry, but go to school and try learn how to make good arguments.

Maybe you can teach them. The red sentence is a real jewel in "Reason & Argument" department  :))

I am talking about '' facts '', not personal opinion and I don´t really need to a give a good argument to what I have mentioned above since it is clear. However, I will explain it pretty simply:

When someone come here to Guild Wars 2 forums and post '' This is gonna fail '' and later on the same day, he/she opens a thread on another forums calling their game '' the best MMORPG up to date'', you should as a gamer notice that something is wrong. Entering this game´s forum, spamming with threads with no arguments at all, and later, praising another game, also with no arguments means one and only thing: you see Guild Wars 2 as the game that is hurting yours for some reason. This is how humans are, sadly. They want their game, car, job and even mobile to be the best, all others are shit.

I have said it many times, when you say that this game is shit, please give me a better title and the argument to that. There´s a different between personal opinion and rating. You can say that TSW looks better than Guild Wars 2, however, you can´t say that TSW has better graphics because that aspect isn´t rated by '' I don´t like fantasy mmos ''. There´s a different between, personal opinion and red flags.

I am still here btw, asking for a better title in the whole MMO-industry.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Nope nothing like that game. 

And here we have yet ANOTHER one of these threads. 

Recently we've been told that the Moderators of the site should be the only ones who say anything about these types of threads when we confronted the Community Manager about these types of threads being allowed to stay open. This is a thread specifically posted not to bring up conversation about the game in an honest atmosphere but to bait flaming. 

We as the community request the moderators work faster to close such threads so that REAL conversation about the game can pursue unhidden by these types of flamebaiting attempts.

Thanks.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by iamthekiller

Who remembers the hype before AOC released? Damn when I finally got out of tortage it was like someone dropped a cinder block on my john.

Anyway, who thinks Arena.net is fixing to drop some cinder blocks on our johns?

The opposite

The first 10 levels of GW2 is the worst part...............the game gets better while you level

I played AoC beta an there is no comparison with GW2.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Who remembers the hype before AOC released? Damn when I finally got out of tortage it was like someone dropped a cinder block on my john.

HOWEVER!....>HOWEVER!,  

1) Age of Conan didn't allow players to test it's siege items and hid them from public eye save for staged demos during shows and developer events with nothing but NPC's.   When tested at launch they were beyond broken, didn't work properly, lagged like crazy, and a whole mess of issues.    ---Guild Wars 2 has allowed players to fully explore and utilize it's siege mechanics, taking part in them.  No issues found.  It's a blast, there's 1,000's of YouTube videos on it from players, and even more guilds preparing their dominance (or failure) of it.

2) Crafting was never testable in Age of Conan and was found to be useless, poorly done, and just hidious.  Even the gathering nodes were seeded in only the outter boarderlands.  ---In Guild Wars 2 it's fully fleshed out, recipes work and have structure, and gathering is well seeded throughout the world on most every map save for cities.

3) Age of Conan limited player access to anything above Tortage, a single starting zone for all players.     ---Guild Wars 2 has allowed players to play in zones up to level 30-35, access to every one of the 5 seperate starting zones, and the 6 capital cities.

Overally players have experienced 100x more content available to them than that of what Age of Conan allowed prior to it's launch.  Not once did the areas feel nake or lacking in content as did Age of Conan.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Nope nothing like that game. 

And here we have yet ANOTHER one of these threads. 

Recently we've been told that the Moderators of the site should be the only ones who say anything about these types of threads when we confronted the Community Manager about these types of threads being allowed to stay open. This is a thread specifically posted not to bring up conversation about the game in an honest atmosphere but to bait flaming. 

We as the community request the moderators work faster to close such threads so that REAL conversation about the game can pursue unhidden by these types of flamebaiting attempts.

Thanks.

Only I think people have presented good arguments here, even though the OP did not. I would prefer that critics of GW2 come here and make a reasoned case, but pointed out an issue of bias, and the importance of argument over just taking a side makes this thread worthwhile.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    And...GW2 has no sub fee, so even if the game was ONLY what we've seen so far, I could still justify paying the box cost for it. Hell, I'd do that just for WvW alone.
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Why cant GW2 just be the next Guild Wars?

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Humanite
    GW2 "critics" are busy doing this.

Or reading this.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Actually, playing this game has been so rewarding I was breaking cinder blocks with my ... brb, new event started...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

The next Age of what?

HAHAHAHAAHA

I don't think so Tim.

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

Thanks for the replies...

The purpose of this thread wasn't to argue anything...

Nor was it to ask if AOC is "like" GW2....

I was only curious if the forums got that "AOC Feel" in regards to the content we haven't seen....

And that one guy that was frothing at the mouth about "THESE THREADS".....dude seriously count to 10 or something and get a grip. If you had taken 20 seconds to actually read the topic you wouldn't have had to type out all that garbage....

Don't you feel embarrassed now?

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437
    Originally posted by ste2000

The opposite

The first 10 levels of GW2 is the worst part...............the game gets better while you level

Already in the "game gets better in later lavels" phase? That's fast.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Metentso

The opposite

Gets better than the first zones. So if the first zones are awesome, the later zones are double awesome.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I think given what we have seen so far, in regards to the features, the game does pay for itself. Since it is B2P, we don't have to worry about the sub fee's. So it is already a win, all Arena Net has to do is keep their promises with the provided features. Everything else should fall into place.
  • AoC changed after Tortage.  GW2 continues the themse from the early zones into the later zone and if anything starts doing them better and more elaborate.  Of course I have only seen up to gendarren fields of which I completed the map.  But I see no reason why that would change and from their description of Orr if basically has to continue in that direction.

I am sure some zones turn out better than other though.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Nope!

I logged over 129 hours of playtesting from BWE1 on. The game was fun for the entire 129 hours. the game gets more challenging as you reach higher level zones in the game, but there is zero drop off in quality. If anything, the experience gets better, because not only is the challenge level increasing, but Dynamic Events start to become more and more complex the deeper into the game you get and Heart Tasks become a smaller and smaller percentage of content.

What's amazing is that after 129 hours, I still have more content open to us during the beta events that I didn't see and experience than I did see. I have no trouble at all seeing myself getting well over 1,000 hours of fun, immersive game play over the course of the first year, just based on content that will ship with the game. With regular free content updates, I have no doubt the game will satiate my MMO gaming needs for the next year, at least.

This is in sharp contrast to almost every MMO I've played since WoW was released. where I've been lucky to get 40-80 hours of game play for the purchase price!

GW2 may be this MMO generation's Vanilla WoW. I see no likely parallels between GW2 and any of the "fail" or "underperformed expectations" titles in the genre.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    I wouldn't go that far but I'll say 3 months after launch people will be begging to go play something else because they'll be tired of grinding events over and over.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Mephster
    I wouldn't go that far but I'll say 3 months after launch people will be begging to go play something else because they'll be tired of grinding events over and over.

some will.

some will go months without ever having grinded events.

some may go months without ever having even DONE an event.  

i guess it depends on what someone is interested in and how they play the game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Just curious, but why are you interested enough to consider buying the guildwars books, but still suggesting that this game is basically vaporware.

AoC had some good ideas, but lacked a crap ton of polish, and continuously lied about having certain features playable for launch.

Anet has not only shown that they are capable of putting out fairly polished content with minimal playtesting (Sylvari / Asuran areas), they've also been pretty honest about features they don't think will be ready for launch (spectator mode). They've also been spending a lot of time on changes that we as players have asked for, and have been very quick to implement them.

You can think GW2 is going to be another AoC, but I don't see any practical reason to think that. Funcom has a history of rushing out buggy / infinished products. Some of them they managed to polish up after, others not so much. Anet is still a relatively new company, but they have already shown they can deliver on their promises.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Originally posted by Mephster

some will.

some will go months without ever having grinded events.

some may go months without ever having even DONE an event.  

i guess it depends on what someone is interested in and how they play the game.

Pretty much this. Those who feel like they have to "grind" events are doing it wrong.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by ThemePork

I find it a little fishy that Anet is limiting beta access to the weekends only. To me that's saying either that they're trying to hide something (the game's lack of depth perhaps) or that they want the players to stay in the first impressions "honey moon" state in order to up the hype.Either way, it's kind of dodgy if you ask me. 

so u think Anet should give unlimited access to its product before its released? yeah good business practice that....Especially for a b2p game

u would just have people powerlevelling to 80 in a week then complaining there is no content, when infact they just rushed passed it all to get to max

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

Ugh, hell no. AoC was awful. The game post tortage (and in some ways pre tortage) was mostly boring and incomplete for a while after release. The devs outright lied about features and systems in the game, claiming it was going to be there, banning and flaming people who said otherwise, but when the doors opened on release it wasn't. Bugs were rampant and there was a complete lack of polish everywhere, from the world to the quest and crafting systems. More than a small handful of players on screen at once and the game grinded to a halt. Everything about the game during beta was behind closed doors because they didnt want the state of things to get out until people had shelled out their money. I unfortunately was dumb enough to think Funcom wouldn't sink so low as they did, even after the Anarchy Online disaster. But I was wrong and for that I am sorry.

GW2 has been the exact opposite. The game has been fun from login to logout. All areas we have seen so far are extremely polished and full of character and life. ANet have been completely open about the state of the game and everything they said was in it has proven to be in it. Massive RvR battles with hundreds of players have been experienced by all of us. The game is selling on its own merits, and good word of mouth from beta events players, rather than the vast advertising campaign Funcom ran using breasts and nudity as its primary draw.

The irony is I've spent more time and have more fun in GW2 in its limited beta events, than I had in AoC during its entire pre and post release state.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Alders
    By all accounts, I'm expecting the opposite.  Starts slow but gets better as you explore the rest of the zones.

This is something I won't be expecting. Been taken down that path way too many times. It best be good and stay good.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Metentso

The opposite

And what is your problem?

It actually does.

In fact the first time I played the starter zone I wanted to ask a refund to Anet.

But I kept playing and the game got much better.

The first 10 level are very chaotic and personally I struggled to understand what to do and what the game was all about..........and I play MMOs since 2001

Luckily after few levels the game opened up.

I am not the fanboy type, just look at my post history

This discussion has been closed.