Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Speculation on Blizzard's Next Move

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I hope it's an MMORTS, blizzard know how to do MMO and RTS, it's the perfect mix but I want a true persistant world, I want 3 factions, I want it to be PvP focused, I want planets with 100's of maps/sectors to fight over with maps/sectors changing hands all the time between the factions.

I want servers to have EU, US & Asia players on them so the fighting never stops - when EU players log off the US ones are logging in ready to continue the fight.  

I want log off one night with my faction controlling 70% of a planet earning massive resource so we can branch out and attack other planets and come back the next night and we're down to 20% cus the US guys sux and have to wrestle control back from the invading faction(s).

Ah to dream.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    No your all wrong! They are going to get sued for false advertising and go down the dumps.  It still clearly states "Over 10 Million Players" in most of their advertising!
  • benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by nuttob
    No your all wrong! They are going to get sued for false advertising and go down the dumps.  It still clearly states "Over 10 Million Players" in most of their advertising!

Lol

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    With subs dipping below 10 mil, they'll prob declare bankruptcy and seek chapter 11 protection
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Been saying for a few years.  I woudln't be suprised if Blizzard is the company that shows the industry that there is a market for a well made sandbox MMO.  Another themepark, no matter the setting, is just going to compete with WoW, it just seems illogical to make another one.  Just look at SoE, why would people leave EQ2 to play Vanguard?  They didn't.

Trion isn't making mmo 2 and 3 the same as Rift, one's a shooter and the others an RTS.  They know you can't compete with yourself and win. 

Titan will either be a shooter, an RTS, or a sandbox, and my money is on sandbox.  It's the market that hasn't been tapped, or been treated properly yet.  If I'm a AAA developer and producer, and I want to diversify, and enter into a market that has no dominant player, I'm going to go sandbox before another AAA studio does.  They'll do to the sandbox market what they did to the themepark one.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132
    Still assuming it's a starcraft mmo and their new franchise thing is bs.
  • dijoudijou Member UncommonPosts: 20

What would they create a more adult and mature game (sandbox) when their target is clearly toward family home entertainment ? yes i know , except hard core gamers.

This behemoth is there to make money , not for "whistling in a violin" as we say in french. The Cie was for sale, 8 billion € , first price, nobody to buy it and finaly they decided to cancel the sell. Vivendi guys are all but MMOPRG lovers and  gamers. They are just a bunch of old fogies (froggies :) ) in suits and ties and i'm sure that Blizzard is not as free and independant as they want to let know and are probably under heavy pressure (see past team defections of founders).

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

What a great article!! Very well written. I have no views on Titan as of yet. I only know of two Titans, the first in the moon orbiting Saturn and the second is the mythical world I grew up with as a kid in Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstones roll-playing fantasy books. Anybody remember that Titan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28world%29

Nah your probally all too young. Now that would be an amazing world too see turned into an MMORPG!!

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Next Blizz will copy GW2
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by bcbully
    If it is a sandbox. I will play.

I'm with you on this!

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89

As articles go this is totally random.

Yeah - Blizzard "might" go sandbox.

But us sandoxers are hardcore. Dwarf Fortress is a tough act to beat. GFX pah! Who needs them. There are many more sandbox games out there than people realise. Good ones. Just not with the graphical production values of AAA titles.

With most games dumbing down hard on gameplay  - going more "twitch"orientated. making so it's impossible for a decision to mean anything long term (Guild Wars II cough cough) Blizzards next game will be pong with fancy GFX and they'll call it a "next Gen RPG".

I'll stick to indie titles where innovation still occurs and you're not treated like "Donald Dumb"

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Hehe, I think the only way you could possible get sanbox fans to NOT play a new AAA sanbox is if it were to be made by Blizzard! LOL

If people hate on a game just because of the devs - then more fool them. Wouldn't want to play with a bunch of blinkered idiots - so just as well they stay away really. AAA sandbox game gets a really big thumbs up from me. NEeds a LOT of work. Betting however the game is a hybrid FPS/twitch kiddies game with nominal RPG elements (get a new sppackekevlar helmet for your space trooper adds 10% health). Most games are going twitch and taking out all but the most basic elements of tactics and strategy now. Probably becasue most younger people are not very bright and cannot handle any level of complexity past;

"Dur gun is pointed at dur target and den I presses "shoot" hurr hurr hurrr..den I runs off and duz it again hurr hurr hurr"

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

While I think Blizzard could actually get away with a sandbox and it would be successful, I think that is just a pipedream of the local disgruntled sandbox lovers. I don't see why they'd make a "WoW clone," as it were though. I think they're smarter than that.

It would be real awesome to play an MMO Starcraft or Diablo but we already know Titan is a new IP.

I really can't say what it's gonna be. But Blizzard has been a golden goose almost their entire existance.

Titan is gonna be a beast.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Zooce
    Originally posted by bcbully If it is a sandbox. I will play.
    I'm with you on this!

Same.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Blizzard making a sandbox huh?  Well anything is possible, but you have to look at the past roadmap of previous sandbox games.  Eve is without doubt the most sucessful to date.  You have to look at the facts, sandbox games don't have a track record of high subscribership as Blizzard is used to.

When Blizzard made a better EQ in Wow, EQ had a dominating lead in subscribers.

I have no idea what Blizzard is working on in Titan, but I have my doubts that it is a sandbox game.

I would certainly welcome a sandbox game though and if anyone could make a very popular one it is Blizzard.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

As long as there are Wow, Rift and SWTOR I will have plenty of fun, never bored. I do not care even minimally to pvp or endgame. I love questing and playing with all possible alts. And this 3 are the best, imo of course. Only game I'm getting grip now on besides this three (where SWTOR is for me new king) is TSW. Was very disappointed at start even if not counting in constant crashes. But I'm starting to like it more and more. Crashes were gone only after installing it on other machine at home with 64 bit w7. Pretty silly from them though to expect players to buy w7 64bit to be able to play it. But I'm happy for now. Will for sure try GW2. GW was trash for me, but this time it looks promising. Just hope experience will not end after 1 month as Aion.

Besides, I do not think there is any company, including Blizzard, that can now make game that would attract so many subs as currently Wow have.

• tylerdyrtylerdyr Member Posts: 2
    Hm, interessting thought but i think there is a lot space for a AAA Sandbox Game. If i think about that, i start to remember at a Anime a saw a few years ago called ./Hack and i think why not. Also there is a new Anime out it called Sword Art Online and that would be a game, iwould kill for :)

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Please, please MMORPG.com, don't talk up WoW in the first paragraph - you trying to SELL an MMORPG is tempting the kiss of death.

I remember SWTOR only too well.

Just be objective - leave your opinions out of it until your summary at the last paragraph.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by ste2000

I'd really love to, but I don't think so.

Titan will be either an FPS MMO (perhaps Call of Duty Online) or something heavily social, something like  Facebook + The Sims + Virtual World

Well, first of all you have to bear in mind that Blizzard has laid off 500-1000 emplyees in the past year to maximize profits, remember folks their actual total turnover is actually decreasing this year 6% or so.

Second. Blizzard have no new games on the horizon till about 2014 when we may see Titan project emerge. Rumors have it that while there is a small team working on Titan Blizzard are nowhere near a finished product and really now neeed it to replace an aging and declining WoW< though it may still be a different IP.

Add those two together and all we are talking with Blizzard are expansions and a declining player base over next few years. The 9 million figure by the way, is a bit strange as they include eastern time cards and those are declining fast.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Titan...it's a mech mmo...I mean it's called project Titan...every single game before with mechs in it had a Titan Mech or Titan group of mechs or something with Titan in the name of something hehe.

It would be awesome though if by "hulking" they meant an extremely huge world.  something like EQ + DAoC + LotRO + WoW + Every other MMO combined in size.  Takes 3 days to cross the whole thing or something XD
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    In Titan, you mine, craft, plant crops, post to Facebook, and /dance, in a panda suit. In space. Thx for reading.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Alalala
    In Titan, you mine, craft, plant crops, post to Facebook, and /dance, in a panda suit. In space. Thx for reading.

Ugh, not another EVE clone.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Blizzard make a Sandbox - not a f**king hope in hell.

There's only one thing Blizzard do & that's BORROW ideas then iterate them with polish.

I think there's a far greater chance of a FPS MMO hybrid along the lines of Planetside 2 or APB maybe with a Victorian Steampunk or Cyberpunk theme.

Could be a E-sport based game with a lot less MMO & much more of a leaderboard/competition feel to it, various "sports" in it both solo & team-based, vehicular, combat, ball etc sort of an intergalactic techno-Olympics.

• legacyhaxlegacyhax Member UncommonPosts: 31

I sincerely hope we see the sandbox.

UO was my first graphic based MMO and I would love to see a modern spin on it with better engines.

That being said, they will epic fail if they decide to separate the murderers and common folk with two different worlds (Felucca and Trammel).

I, of course, will not keep my fingers crossed.  Even if it is a sandbox, no game MMO will ever equal my first.  It's the sad and lonely reality I have learned after thousands of dollars have been squandered on every one released.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Blizzard's next move? Pandaria. What is Titan? Besides the best hope for methane-based life in our solar system, who knows?

I am done with Blizzard though. Their approach to Diablo 3, being completely devoid of ethics, ruined them for me.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.