Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only me who think GW1s concept still is miles better than GW2?

trallatralla Member Posts: 290

Played GW1 for about 2 years, quitted for maybe 4 years ago so i dont know how gw1 looks now. Preordered GW2 and tested it for a few times and i have to say i doesnt match up at all to my gw1 experience. What i have experienced/red they have removed all the strongest parts of their first game, things like Competetive GvG, hardcore PvP (1v1,3v3,5v5,8v8,12v12,24v24 etc etc). Challenging PvE, wich i did not encouter at all in GW2 And the spectating mode.

And these dynamic events are all piss easy for some reason? And from my point of view the WvWvW system doesnt really qualify as "competetive PvP" unless you are a bigger group and will actually make a difference. The current WvWvW system is all about zerging, brainless zerging.

My point with this post is as the titel asks, only me who thinks this way?

If i am missing something and they actually have any of these features im missing, please do tell me so i can get my hopes up again. Sad to see such a hardcore GW1 turn in to a softcore GW2. 

Comments

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by tralla

And these dynamic events are all piss easy for some reason?

let me guess.. you played only the last beta weekend.

• Agreed unfortunately. I was looking forward to a PVP centric game, but GW2 just doesnt appear to be it. I am sure the PVP will suit the casuals and the WoW crowd, and the PvE may engage for a little, but I wish it was more like the original in the competitive sense. I feel like Arenanet more wanted to make a massive PvE game (and to be fair all the GW expansions pointed to that). I just hope a good solid arena system develops for GW2 as well.

So I still have some hope that we get a good solid arena system with a lot of map variety eventually.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

If you like small scale lobby based cooperative online games, GW1 is indeed good. But if you like MMORPGs, GW1 isn't even in the competition, since it's not a MMORPG.

Thankfully, GW1 hasn't closed its doors with the release of GW2, and people like you who prefer it can still play it :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• trallatralla Member Posts: 290
    Actually played all but the last beta weekend. 
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Yep, GW1 is still there. I don't see any reason to develop the same game twice.
    Originally posted by CyanSword

Agreed unfortunately. I was looking forward to a PVP centric game, but GW2 just doesnt appear to be it. I am sure the PVP will suit the casuals and the WoW crowd, and the PvE may engage for a little, but I wish it was more like the original in the competitive sense. I feel like Arenanet more wanted to make a massive PvE game (and to be fair all the GW expansions pointed to that). I just hope a good solid arena system develops for GW2 as well.

So I still have some hope that we get a good solid arena system with a lot of map variety eventually.

Good to hear someone sharing the same thoughts.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    you, and maybe 6 other people
    Originally posted by Anthur
    Yep, GW1 is still there. I don't see any reason to develop the same game twice.

Totally agreed. But if you pause for a second, read between the lines you will see that i'm saying that a game should take its strongest sides and make them stronger in the new game. not making the same game, but instead taking what was successful and taking it to another level.

Originally posted by wrightstuf
    you, and maybe 6 other people

Sadly you are not wrong. But that is also sad for us hardcore PvPers out there. Cause noone will make a game hard anymore, because a hard game where you punish the weak will make all the worse players leave the game. And truth to be told, majority of any playerbase consists of bad players.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Let get this straight - you aren't implying GW1 is a "hardcore" PvP game, right? Tell me you aren't implying GW1 is a hard game that punishes the "weak" (I will refrain commenting  on the usage of the word "weark" for now...).

Tell me you aren't doing that here... please.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Played GW1 for about 2 years, quitted for maybe 4 years ago so i dont know how gw1 looks now. Preordered GW2 and tested it for a few times and i have to say i doesnt match up at all to my gw1 experience. What i have experienced/red they have removed all the strongest parts of their first game, things like Competetive GvG, hardcore PvP (1v1,3v3,5v5,8v8,12v12,24v24 etc etc). Challenging PvE, wich i did not encouter at all in GW2 And the spectating mode.

And these dynamic events are all piss easy for some reason? And from my point of view the WvWvW system doesnt really qualify as "competetive PvP" unless you are a bigger group and will actually make a difference. The current WvWvW system is all about zerging, brainless zerging.

If i am missing something and they actually have any of these features im missing, please do tell me so i can get my hopes up again. Sad to see such a hardcore GW1 turn in to a softcore GW2. 

You played what? 20-30 levels out of 80. 1/4th and a very early one as well. I don't recall GW1 being challenging in first levels either. Have you done dungeons? Have you done some more obscure events that aren't filled by players? There is challenging content out there, just don't expect it to be in starting areas. That's silly and won't ever happen in AAA MMO. 

As for PvP, they changed the multiple mode set up, which was a casue of huge mess and lots of trouble in GW1 into a more uniform Coqnuest mode based PvP. You have hardcore/competitive part in form of tournaments which are 5v5. Having more different modes doesn't really makea game more hardcore. If you look at all major competitve games on the e-sport scene they all only utilize single mode pretty much. WvWvW was never meant to be competitive - it's there for fun and massive battles. 

I think the thing is You expected something completely different even tho the game, from the start, was presented and advertsied as a game that's not a a GW1 2.0. GW2 is it's own game, utilizing the mechanics of a MMO rather than lobby co-op RPG. 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    So I guess you won't be playing GW2 then?  I played GW1 for over 6 years now and I love GW2.  Apparently you don't.  So, why are you wasting your time writing about it?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Let get this straight - you aren't implying GW1 is a "hardcore" PvP game, right? Tell me you aren't implying is a hard game that punishes the "weak" (I will refrain commenting  on the usage of the word "weark" for now...).

Easy brother, his comment nearly made my heart stop as well. 

GW1 was far from hardcore. A lot of fun? Yes. Took time to master? Yes. Hardcore? Not in the fucking slightest.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

If u call yourself a hardcore PvPer because of GW1 come one.... you are joking right?

GW1 was NO WAY a hardcore pvp game...

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

They have a way to go on sPvP but there intentions seem clear ...... they seem 'serious' about it. Hell,they  use the eSport word. I am in a poor position to judge being fundamentally 'average' at it. Looking at some of the vids from people like team legacy and super squad it seems to me like the 'hardcre' should be challenged. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Let get this straight - you aren't implying GW1 is a "hardcore" PvP game, right? Tell me you aren't implying GW1 is a hard game that punishes the "weak" (I will refrain commenting  on the usage of the word "weark" for now...).

Had to read that a second time as well, a PVP game that punishes the weak? Wha???

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I think by "hardcore PvPer" he meant "competitive PvPer," otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

GW1 does not currently and never had hardcore PvP.

OP, if you're interested in competitive PvP, look into structured PvP.

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

Any thread with "hardcore", "WoW' crowd" and "casual" in the first few posts just makes my brain hurt anymore.

What was this thread about?

Who cares, I'm going outside.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Thrashbarg

Any thread with "hardcore", "WoW' crowd" and "casual" in the first few posts just makes my brain hurt anymore.

Carebear image

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Originally posted by Thrashbarg

Carebear image

*Carebear stare*

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

Not at all-

I tried over the years multiple times to play Guild Wars - and never got past level 8.  The game just bored me to tears.  Absolutely could not stand the concept of Guild Wars.

Now Guild Wars 2, after doing all the research I have done and having realistic expectations of the game and doing everything on my part to make sure I don't have any twisted misconceptions about what the game offers and what it does not, I have spent nearly 115+ hours of game play within all the Betas+Stress Tests.

Right off I knew there was something wrong with the OP when he said something about WvW being competitive... Misconception WvW is not for competition at all.. sPvP is the competitive part of the game and is what they are pushing for E-Sports.  Also if you didn't hit any challanging PvE then you didn't get past the starting zones or meet a DE Boss.

Others pointed out the fact concerning someones misinterpretation of Guild Wars 1 even being considered "Hardcore" in any way shape or form.   It never became an E-Sport but sPvP within Guild Wars 2 definitely will if they impliment Spectator mode.

But personally and I know I'm not in the minority when I say this, I'm glad as hell they didn't impliment much aside from the lore from the first game because I wouldn't be playing it if they did..

Guild Wars 2 has made me a fan of "Guild Wars" but while waiting now for the game to release I still could not find it in me to torture myself with the original game...  I'll play the better of the 2 come August 25th.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

Originally posted by Ezhae

You played what? 20-30 levels out of 80. 1/4th and a very early one as well. I don't recall GW1 being challenging in first levels either. Have you done dungeons? Have you done some more obscure events that aren't filled by players? There is challenging content out there, just don't expect it to be in starting areas. That's silly and won't ever happen in AAA MMO. 

As for PvP, they changed the multiple mode set up, which was a casue of huge mess and lots of trouble in GW1 into a more uniform Coqnuest mode based PvP. You have hardcore/competitive part in form of tournaments which are 5v5. Having more different modes doesn't really makea game more hardcore. If you look at all major competitve games on the e-sport scene they all only utilize single mode pretty much. WvWvW was never meant to be competitive - it's there for fun and massive battles. 

I think the thing is You expected something completely different even tho the game, from the start, was presented and advertsied as a game that's not a a GW1 2.0. GW2 is it's own game, utilizing the mechanics of a MMO rather than lobby co-op RPG. 

It only takes me to read the first line to understand that you didnt get my point. I dont see any point in playing a game that i have to reach level cap or a high level for it to be competetive or hard in any way. Wich makes me sad, cause i had high hopes for GW2, guess it doesnt suit me. Oh well. What GW1 did good imo: They made it so that you could create a max level character on the spot. They didnt make all these detours to be in the top.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It's just you. GW2 is leaps and bounds beyond GW1 in every way imagineable.

There was a bug that made some content too easy in BWE3. That's being addressed. Difficulty is lower in the lower levels, where people are just starting to learn the game. It starts to become challenging around level 8 and ramps up noticeably by the time you reach the level 15-25 zones.

World vs World isn't Competative PvP. sPvP, or Structured PvP, is what you seem to be thinking about and the game has it. sPvP ranges from casual matches to formal tournaments and there will be a ladder system similar to GW1 for the truly competative players.

Don't cancel your pre-order. The deeper you get into GW2, the more you'll realize how misinformed your post was. I hope you'll be able to allow yourself to admit you were wrong and will come back here a month after launch and update your findings for the game.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It only takes me to read the first line to understand that you didnt get my point. I dont see any point in playing a game that i have to reach level cap or a high level for it to be competetive or hard in any way. Wich makes me sad, cause i had high hopes for GW2, guess it doesnt suit me. Oh well. What GW1 did good imo: They made it so that you could create a max level character on the spot. They didnt make all these detours to be in the top.

You can do that for structured PvP in GW2 just like you could do it in GW1.

At level 2, you can go to the mists and be level 80 and choose any gear setup with max gear, sigils and runes. You have access to every single skill your class has.

Is that not what you are talking about?

I would not call GW1 a hardcore PvP game no. But in comparison to what i have experienced/red in GW2, it is.