Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Persistence, My Friend

Comments

• YolenYolen Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Yolen

Sorry, but reading all this makes author look in my mind like a cheerleader captain girl and not as a professional gamer.

I understand where Pokket's frustration comes but she acts as if she didn't understand looks, position, fame - all come with unwanted attention.

Wouldn't it be better if she just educated people how to REALLY approach a girl (and many don't know that) instead of making fun of people all while screaming "Look how many creeps want to get into my pants!"?

And creeps are really not a problem exclusive to gamer girls. If they really bug you why not just call the cops?

Also, because you base your identity on the fact you are a gamer girl and not a gamer, people who are often annoyed by chicks pretending to be gamers will doubt your credibility AS A GAMER.

Also, this is internet. So, you know... yeah...

So all of this looks like gloating about getting attention.

Well you obviously got ine seeing as how I registered just to comment on this. But not because it's a good text but because of how BAD it makes you look.

Look man...

Anyone that stalks or writes the type of posts she gave as an example doesn't deserve wasting the time. Not like she's referring to a poster that says, "Omg lolzers she so hot!" Pretty sure she's referring to people that actually insult her with every ounce of their being or simply write vile post after post trying to demean her in any way they can. There's no reasoning with them. If she did actually do what you suggested they would tear it to pieces anyways.

Yeah, they may be WELL BEYOND redemption. But what I'm talking is ore about stopping this stuff from happening in the first place. Aggression breeds more aggression.

All I'm saying it would be good if she used her fame and image to make positive impact and maybe help some shy guys score BEFORE they devolve in a writhing mass of self-loathing, self-pity, anger towards females etc. And maybe show some creeps "HEY, this is is how you SHOULD treat a woman".

Btw. You really read the article? It's all kept in a tone of how those guys want to get into her pants. Thats how I read it at least.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    As I pointed out earlier. She does seem to have a high opinion of herself which sems to blind her to the fact that the quoted lines she uses from user comments about her do not actually reflect a desire to be with her. I don't really think the angle of complaining about how bad it must be for her to be geting all this unwanted male attention is a good way to go when without looking at usernames I would be tempted to believe that some of these comments may have been posted by other women given how the also seem consistent with how women tear each other down.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Pretender00

She should live it up while she can. When age and gravity hits she'll have nothing. Not even a serious journalism career to fall back on. LOL

Then what will you do when those same internet fools won't even give you the time of day?

So funny on so many levels.

targetaudiencemuch?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• PokketPokket Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Teekay

BUT....do you still think you'd have a column on mmorpg Pokket if you weren't a female gamer, or people would watch your videos/twitch channel. You're internet (success??) is mostly attributable to the 'lack of' between your legs, use of eyeshadow and being not unnatractive, without that you would be an unknown face in the sea of male video game commentators. Yet you write articles like this lambasting those males who help put you where you are.

Bite, hand and feeds spring to mind...  

I write an article "lambasting" males that behave like this because it is incorrect to relate my "success" on the "lack of" in between my legs. Unlike yourself, others take this one step further and actually hate on women like me for being female.

So I am left to conclude that because I am female, that is the only reason I am successful. So basically I should feel ashamed because of my gender... something that I cannot control. Something I was born as. Should I feel ashamed and wish I were male? That way at least my "success" would be "real".

You are sadly mistaken. I am successful for many other reasons beyond being a female. If you can't look past my gender, then you'll never see this, but despite people like you it really hasn't stopped me in my tracks or slowed me down. I stream, write columns, record, edit, and upload gameplay videos, guides, and vlogs, go to game conventions and interview developers, can have a real discussion about games (sometimes to the point of argument lol), and I even worked in the industry as QA for over a year.

I don't show off my "goods" and I don't make reference to my gender ever being a bonus. Women like me have the problem of everyone pre-judging them based on their gender. Automatically discrediting them and linking their "success" to the fact that they have boobs (even if they aren't ones to EVER take advantage of their assets - and yes there are plenty of girls out there like that).  

Guys just have a different problem: there are more to compete with so it is harder to get noticed.

I'm sorry, but men like you just sound bitter.

Youtube: PokketProductions | Twitter: @Pokketsays | Facebook: Pokketsays
    Originally posted by Nailzzz
    As I pointed out earlier. She does seem to have a high opinion of herself which sems to blind her to the fact that the quoted lines she uses from user comments about her do not actually reflect a desire to be with her. I don't really think the angle of complaining about how bad it must be for her to be geting all this unwanted male attention is a good way to go when without looking at usernames I would be tempted to believe that some of these comments may have been posted by other women given how the also seem consistent with how women tear each other down.

I am not willing to share the emails and private messages I have received from people because it is far too embarassing (for them). As much as I don't agree with how they behave on the internet I'm just not willing to humiliate someone like that when a simple block/ignore usually takes care of it.

I posted pictures that were relevant to the more open and aggressive types. Anyone can find these comments on youtube. Not just on my videos, but on other games. In fact, the first picture isn't even on my video. It's on hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-8vy03a8U

• fahadjafarfahadjafar Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Pokket

BUT....do you still think you'd have a column on mmorpg Pokket if you weren't a female gamer, or people would watch your videos/twitch channel. You're internet (success??) is mostly attributable to the 'lack of' between your legs, use of eyeshadow and being not unnatractive, without that you would be an unknown face in the sea of male video game commentators. Yet you write articles like this lambasting those males who help put you where you are.

I write an article "lambasting" males that behave like this because it is incorrect to relate my "success" on the "lack of" in between my legs. Unlike yourself, others take this one step further and actually hate on women like me for being female.

So I am left to conclude that because I am female, that is the only reason I am successful. So basically I should feel ashamed because of my gender... something that I cannot control. Something I was born as. Should I feel ashamed and wish I were male? That way at least my "success" would be "real".

You are sadly mistaken. I am successful for many other reasons beyond being a female. If you can't look past my gender, then you'll never see this, but despite people like you it really hasn't stopped me in my tracks or slowed me down. I stream, write columns, record, edit, and upload gameplay videos, guides, and vlogs, go to game conventions and interview developers, can have a real discussion about games (sometimes to the point of argument lol), and I even worked in the industry as QA for over a year.

I don't show off my "goods" and I don't make reference to my gender ever being a bonus. Women like me have the problem of everyone pre-judging them based on their gender. Automatically discrediting them and linking their "success" to the fact that they have boobs (even if they aren't ones to EVER take advantage of their assets - and yes there are plenty of girls out there like that).  

Guys just have a different problem: there are more to compete with so it is harder to get noticed.

lady be honest, you have to at least admit that the attention you get is for your looks 1st and then comes your talent. there are plenty women out there who can do what you do in a far better way but most of them won't get a chance at that because they are not as pretty as you. i don't mean any disrespect but that's an ugly truth and you are not even responsible for that. you are talented of course but because the world is "ruled by men" the 1st thing we look at is your pretty face and then your talent, i can be honest about that.  it's a thing going on forever, we men like to take advantage of women. look at legendary hollywood female actors, do you see anyone who is not good looking, i have a friend who works in stage, she is a talented actor but she never got any offers from any kind of film or tv producers in my country, even a dumb girl(hate that bitch) in extra role got contract with a major production house for her stunning look and racks but friend is always passed over. you can say that there are lots of pretty girl, so they should be successful in what you do as well but as i have said, you have got talent, for women; beauty is necessary along with talent. we men don't look at talented women if they don't have racks, but please don't take it as an insult.  

Wouldn't it be better if she just educated people how to REALLY approach a girl (and many don't know that) instead of making fun of people all while screaming "Look how many creeps want to get into my pants!"?

This wasn't meant to be a dating article. I used satire to get across the rediculousness of the way a lot of people behave on the internet and the fact that they think this behave is okay simply because of anonymity. It's not okay to hate on someone for their race or gender in real life, so why do we tolerate it on the internet? 

I find that writing a nice article filled with fairies, sparkles, and sunshine sauce would have completely ruined the point. The point isn't a nice one, it is a negative one. It is one that I feel needs to be changed. Not for me, but for all women. Go to ANY female's youtube channel and check out some of her comments. She's bound to get crap just for being a female.

She should live it up while she can. When age and gravity hits she'll have nothing. Not even a serious journalism career to fall back on. LOL

Then what will you do when those same internet fools won't even give you the time of day?

Thank you for proving my point ~.^

• SekkerhundSekkerhund Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    One even managed to track down far too much of my personal life and echo it back to me.

Funny story: 

Several years ago, before website comments really took off, I had posted a comment to an article on a website that made our public emails *purposely* available for trolls to reply and harrass anyone who posted comments. (site was eventually sued and stopped the practise)

So I started getting some really nasty troll emails from this particular asshat, who seemed to think that his anonymity protected him.  So I decided to teach him otherwise.  I tracked him down and learned his name, where he worked (a professor @ MIT o.O) and where he lived, right down to the street and apartment building.  I then echoed that information back to him.

So, he replies, in true troll fashion: "You know my name and where I live, so what?"

I replied back, "Thanks for confirming, I'm coming to visit."

I never heard back from him again.  :)

Moral of the story:  There's no place to hide on the Internet.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I believe it would have been much more professional to just ignore this than to call attention to it.
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Pocket. You seem to be missing the point. I have no need to see the source material for the comments and I never said I needed them to make any determinations on their motivations. To look at these comments and think that they are put out there with the intent to score points with a woman is a huge jump to conclusions. They are born of resentment because you were graced with an advantage not shared by all.
    You seem keenly aware of your own desireability by the fact that you chose to frame the article in this light. But now you argue that your being an attractive female has nothing to do with your position {which sad to say as others have pointed out is clearly the case however also not necessarily your fault}.
    The truth is you are what many consider attractive and that alone is enough to make some people hate you. When you make articles like this, it only reinforces their reason for doing so and just makes you come off vain. Despite your protestations to the contrary, it just comes off like an article elaborating on your first world problem of being too desireable to the mases of the undesired. I can apreciate the humourous tone you tried to set but for some people this is just more kindling to light your reputation as a genuine gamer on fire with.
  • SekkerhundSekkerhund Member UncommonPosts: 20

Folks, its called "satirical writing".  Google it.  Then you can come back and troll Pokket some more, but at least you might impress her with your newfound knowledge.

(Protip: she's actually been trolling all of you. :-D  )

I'm sorry but you obviously aren't very sincere about yourself.

Basically your personality on this site bases on the fact that you write about how it is to be a female gamer. Part of it bases on the fact you are attractive and you get attention all while playing games/writing about them/etc.

Nobody is disrespecting your skills or talent when they say that, sadly, you either don't recognise how much of views you get for being an attractive female, or blatantly lie you don't take it into consideration. Because I believe in your inteligence I suspect the second option to be true.

You blatantly take advantage of your situation (avatar, column). It doesn't have to be as obvious as you state with "showing off goods".

So please, don't be a hypocrite, because it's not about you being female but about you using your advantages and not admitting you do.

Or are you really as blind as the girl that got help fro a guy when she broke a car and she thinks he did it because he's nice?

Attractive people get more attention, people are nicer to them and thats a FACT.

So nobody really says you don't have the talent. But really, stating it's not a factor you take into consideration all while flaunting your pretty face and writing about female perspective in your column...

Can I smell hypocrisy?

Plus all this article tells me is "all the creeps want to get into my pants so lets have a laugh at them".

This wasn't meant to be a dating article. I used satire to get across the rediculousness of the way a lot of people behave on the internet and the fact that they think this behave is okay simply because of anonymity. It's not okay to hate on someone for their race or gender in real life, so why do we tolerate it on the internet? 

I find that writing a nice article filled with fairies, sparkles, and sunshine sauce would have completely ruined the point. The point isn't a nice one, it is a negative one. It is one that I feel needs to be changed. Not for me, but for all women. Go to ANY female's youtube channel and check out some of her comments. She's bound to get crap just for being a female.

And you really think getting angry over angry people will make any impact. Aggression breeds aggression and only thing you will score with what you did is getting more trolling.

As a journalist I believe you have a purpose of making a change. I just don't really see how THIS would do any good.

If you don't want to educate people - fine with me, fine with anyone I guess. But please don't say stirring the nest will make bees sting less.

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    This is funny and not funny at the same time. Funny because Hillary is making it fun. Not funny because women have to put up with this crap.
    Regardless, this obviously affects people and needs to be addressed.
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Entertaining article.
  • GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    2x post. Please delete. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I thought your article was funny, and I enjoy a lot of your videos as well.  I wouldn't let guys like this get to you.

The important thing is that you know that you are a qualified professional and you are working in a field that you really love.  So who cares what some idiots say.

My wife is a doctor so I completely believe that woman are completely capable of everything men can do...I would be an idiot if I didn't believe that in my relationship lol :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

And you really think getting angry over angry people will make any impact. Aggression breeds aggression and only thing you will score with what you did is getting more trolling.

As a journalist I believe you have a purpose of making a change. I just don't really see how THIS would do any good.

If you don't want to educate people - fine with me, fine with anyone I guess. But please don't say stirring the nest will make bees sting less.

It gets it out there. Has us discussing it.Will it change anything? No...neither would a piece on how if a person is feeling the need to lash out at someone they should pull a Stuart Smalley instead.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

I got an elusive "hot gaming chick" by inviting her to PoFire as a part of my server controlling god group (I was a bad ass bard and anyone I didn't approve of who entered the zone was trained immediately).

I had a titan grip on the entire market of powerleving AA's in EQ1.  I felt like a meth dealer peddling out free AA candy via full castle camps and shaker spawns.  I allowed her into my elite group and made an effort not to drool over her like everyone else in the group did (I was too busy being a fucking bad ass to do that).

Morale of the story is:  If you want hot gamer chicks, be a bad ass and deal meth.  Also be a man and play on Zek, you can only rule a server with an iron fist when there are no rules, and Kings get all the bitches.

• AemiAemi Member Posts: 148

Some of you have a serious case of vagina envy. Yes women tend to get more attention than men.

We tend to get more attention, but this is not attention we always want.  We have to deal with sexist morons and people who think soley with their penis. But to say our successes are soley due to our gender is disgusting and stupid. It's personality that gets views, whether you have a penis or a vagina, or both. If  people find you fun to be around you'll get good attention.

But if you really think women only achieve success because of their sex appeal, then maybe you should look into starting your sex change and find out how things really are.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Aemi

Some of you have a serious case of vagina envy. Yes women tend to get more attention than men.

We tend to get more attention, but this is not attention we always want.  We have to deal with sexist morons and people who think soley with their penis. But to say our successes are soley due to our gender is disgusting and stupid. It's personality that gets views, whether you have a penis or a vagina, or both. If  people find you fun to be around you'll get good attention.

But if you really think women only achieve success because of their sex appeal, then maybe you should look into starting your sex change and find out how things really are.

It's funny because there are actually a bunch of movies about this very topic.  Off the top of my head...

Tootsie

Mrs. Doubtfire

Ladybugs

and of course, the classic, White Chicks

And actually on a more serious note, there are both men and women who use sex appeal to drive their careers.  But this does not necessarily mean they are lazy people or not good at what they do.  I mean, look at models...do you think it's easy to maintain their figures?  I honestly would not want to do it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DragnogDragnog Member UncommonPosts: 48

A couple of questions:

• How much control do you have over what you write?
    • Who chooses the topic that you will discuss for the week?
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Well. Judging by some of the reactions I think we can safely chalk one up for Pokket.

OH NO SHE DI'INT!!!

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• AquaKiraAquaKira Member UncommonPosts: 39

Hey can I write for mmorpg.com aswell? I can also talk about stuff in life and I even have a hot girlfriend so if I post pics of her once in a while I'm sure I can get a few people to attempt to read what I type :)

Nah seriously, gamer girls are just people. But give me the job she does and I'm sure I can do it aswell. I somewhat think (and I know this is probably WHY she typed all of this) that she gets the job because she's a girl. And even better, put a big girl in her place and she probably never got the job. So many guys want her job and yet none of us get it though we MIGHT be better or more experienced. Sorry if I offended you.

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

Thank you for proving my point ~.^

Please, I'm not one of "those" guys. I'm basing my opnion strictly on the fact that I don't like you. I've never seen your tweets, blogs, or anything other than what you've written here and one youtube video. I don't like your smug little attitude and I don't like the fact you appear to be getting somewhere based on your popularity with the same audience you are apparently lambasting. Like I said in a previous post if you were 300lbs and ugly we wouldn't even be having this discussion because talented or not your face and name wouldn't be all over mmorpg.com.