Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Ten Million and Counting

Comments

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    There's a sucker born every minute.
  • k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by k-damage
    Yes, yes. But how many did stay ... ?

Diablo 3 is not a MMO, it is a Multiplayer game.

Its job was to sell boxes not subscriptions, and it did

Good on Blizzard, huge success.................crap game though

Yet, when you have a good reputation, people buys everything (me included).

Not so sure about the next tme though..................

And a multiplayer game's job is to ... ? :)

If there are no more players to play with, consider the job's not done then (if we have to argue on that ground).

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• deathstrike6deathstrike6 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

According to Activision-Blizzard's latest earnings report, the gaming world has snapped up over ten million copies of Diablo III since it launched in May.

Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo III, released on May 15, 2012,set a new industry launch record for PC games and was the #1 best-selling PC game for the first six months of 2012. Through July, more than 10 million players have entered the world of Sanctuary.

Check out the full financial report on Activision-Blizzard's site.

wow u sure r huge troll here, have u heard about news korea sue blizzard for millions dollars now? and it wont stop till bliizzard got to do something with it, korea is the country have largest player for mmo and a huge fan of diablo3, despirte all of that ya sure dibalo 3 sold that largest ammount like cod or bb3, but the thing is players actually keep playing it or not? before posting something read some news about that game first 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by deathstrike6

have u heard about news korea

old news (June 21) and already resolved

http://kotaku.com/5920155/korean-gamers-get-diablo-iii-refund-after-server-woes

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Diablo 3 is a great game. While it is not super awesome like Diablo 2 was (yet!), it is still a very good game which you can play for a very long time.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Originally posted by deathstrike6

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

According to Activision-Blizzard's latest earnings report, the gaming world has snapped up over ten million copies of Diablo III since it launched in May.

Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo III, released on May 15, 2012,set a new industry launch record for PC games and was the #1 best-selling PC game for the first six months of 2012. Through July, more than 10 million players have entered the world of Sanctuary.

Check out the full financial report on Activision-Blizzard's site.

wow u sure r huge troll here, have u heard about news korea sue blizzard for millions dollars now? and it wont stop till bliizzard got to do something with it, korea is the country have largest player for mmo and a huge fan of diablo3, despirte all of that ya sure dibalo 3 sold that largest ammount like cod or bb3, but the thing is players actually keep playing it or not? before posting something read some news about that game first 

I'm sure it's their job to keep up on mmo news.   You should probably keep up with the news better instead of bringing up really old news, oh and learn what a troll is thanks.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Sold ten million, less than 100,000 still playing.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Terrible purchase on my part and im sure there are a whole lot more than can agree with me. The truth is the community got fooled on this title. The jokes on us.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294
    That's a heck of a lot of pissed off consumers.
  • GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    An awful, shallow, almost condescendingly bad game that deserves little, if any success. It's unfortunate they're still making money off of it and won't learn anything from this -- especially if they keep Jay Wilson around.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by sammandar
    It always never ceases to amaze me how we continue to judge the quality of a game by how many copies it sells. Just because something sells very well does not make it worth the purchase.

What should be measured?  The feelings radiating from game forums?

We live in a world where things get measured and that information is used for further purposes.   Kids who went to school where trying gets you an A in a class might not be able to deal with the real world.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i will never believe blizzard again . i have decided against buying mist of panderia even .. i wont give my money to greedy people . shoo shoo shooo
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

I just checked Skyrim on Steam. Only 62k played today. I guess that mean Skyrim sucks...right? 

Apparenlty single player/co-op games are supposed to have the same player retention as MMOs. There's no possible way that the silent majority played the game, beat the game, enjoyed the game and then moved on to the next game in their game library. Nope...they all just rage quit because the game is bad.

I wonder how many other games sold 10 million copies. Or even 8 million...and I wonder if they are all still being played.  

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Psychow

I just checked Skyrim on Steam. Only 62k played today. I guess that mean Skyrim sucks...right? 

Apparenlty single player/co-op games are supposed to have the same player retention as MMOs. There's no possible way that the silent majority played the game, beat the game, enjoyed the game and then moved on to the next game in their game library. Nope...they all just rage quit because the game is bad.

I wonder how many other games sold 10 million copies. Or even 8 million...and I wonder if they are all still being played.  

That is SOOOOOO Different.  First off, the majority plays skyrim on xbox, or off steam.  This is also a single player RPG, replayability is not a main concern for it.  BUT now when were talking about diablo, made by the company BLIZZARD.  I mean its a total failure, it really is.  I sunk hours upon hours upon hours like many others into diablo 2 and just signing into diablo 3 gives me a bad taste in my mouth.  In conclusion, diablo 3 is a game that should be getting played, comparing is to skyrim is a really really weak and bad example. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

That is SOOOOOO Different.  First off, the majority plays skyrim on xbox, or off steam.  This is also a single player RPG, replayability is not a main concern for it.  BUT now when were talking about diablo, made by the company BLIZZARD.  I mean its a total failure, it really is.  I sunk hours upon hours upon hours like many others into diablo 2 and just signing into diablo 3 gives me a bad taste in my mouth.  In conclusion, diablo 3 is a game that should be getting played, comparing is to skyrim is a really really weak and bad example. 

Team Fortress 2 is free. It's the #1 or #2 most played game on Steam. Steam has 4.2 million gamers currently on-line. Only 64k players are playing TF2. I guess TF2 sucks. 

QQ more if you must. Haters usually do. Why don't you go to ALL the other games you dislike and post crap on their forums. Or is it just Blizzard you feel the hate for. Games too hard for you? Did you get laughed at for being a baddie?

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

People put your energy to more worthy things rather than wasting it on your constant Blizzard bashing, it's getting very old now.  You all knew what D3 was about, it was in beta for months and even in open beta jsut before release and if you bought regardless then more fool you.  Now I am off to Blizzard HQ to collect my cheque.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    Originally posted by expresso

People put your energy to more worthy things rather than wasting it on your constant Blizzard bashing, it's getting very old now.  You all knew what D3 was about, it was in beta for months and even in open beta jsut before release and if you bought regardless then more fool you.  Now I am off to Blizzard HQ to collect my cheque.

The problem here is that we were given just enough content in the beta that it seemed pretty fun, and there was so much more of the game left that very few had access to, that it seemed like there would be so much awesome ahead. But there was a reason for that. They said they didn't want to ruin any of the story, and that there was a major story arc coming up immediately after the Skeleton King. 

That's fine, but it turned out that the story was also very shallow, full of plot holes and was generally half-assed, even if the concepts behind it were solid. 

Also there's very little room for any customization whatsoever in the characters as was found out the further you play into the game and the higher difficulties, and the current system's in place are lazy. The RMAH/AH in general was a terrible decision that is hurting the game, the terrible gear grind built around the RMAH so people are dependent on the AH if they want to upgrade without grinding for weeks for a small improvement. But even so, you need to grind to get the money to do so, which is the main focus of the game at this point. Farm that gold and buy your way to victory!

They also should have attempted to make Inferno hard without sacrificing core gameplay mechanics that made the game fun to begin with. Let's make every champion pack harder than the bosses in the game. That'll be SUPER FUN. Also make it so you have to kite them; so it takes quite a bit of time to whittle them down; so that all the fun can be COMPLETELY sucked out. 

The crafting seems pretty pointless, aside from making the highest gems perhaps, and there are only a handful of extremely useful abilities in a sea of underwhelming ones. 

So the sales were based on hype, a short, insignificant portion of the game in beta, and the Blizzard name. Yet you tell me I knew everything about what the game was about before purchase? 

Right. Just because things look good on paper doesn't mean they will work in action. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Diablo 3 did look good on paper, but the delivery was just  a huge fail. 

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662
    Originally posted by Tarka

For me, it was the fact that the content quantity and quality was lacking.  The second and third acts ended way too soon, and the game relies on players doing the harder modes to take them to top level.

I agree the 3rd and 4th Acts were too short. Especially Act 4.

However, I disagree that the content quality was lacking, but that is a matter of personal opinion. I liked the cheesy story, the cut-scenes, and pretty much everything about the gameplay itself.

As for content quantity, perhaps I play slow, but it took me anywhere from 25 to 30 hours on normal difficulty to beat the game. I was level 32 or 33 on each class I played through. I did all optional dungeons and fully cleared each map. I also did not buy anything off the AH.

If what I did was how the gameplay was supposed to be, then I think that is plenty of content (25-30 hours) for a single playthrough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the story, I'm just not used the a large portion of the levels being reliant on replaying the same content.   Plus the dungeons started to feel very samey after awhile (a point that I believe was mentioned by a number of critics).

Like I said, that's why I was personally disappointed with the product.  Others obviously felt otherwise.

• BandenBanden Member Posts: 83

Well...

Story is a terrible piece of shite.

The skill system is vastly less open-ended than diablo 2, which is a huge downer for me.

The itemization is boring, Im hoping they will fix that in an expansion.

I honestly dont mind the RMAH, I will probably feel a lot differently once PVP is added and it turns out to be no-skills and all about shinies.

People will bitch about the item grind, but anyone who played Diablo 2 would know that once you beat the game its all about the shinies anyway. 

So far Ihve played over 200 hours and dont have any plans to stop. Id say thats an ok entertainment/money ratio and thers also the chance that I might sell something and earn my money back, yay!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
        I often wonder how many gamers simply buy certain games because alot of other people do..... I'd bet you could take the exact same game, change the name and the company, and the game wouldn't sell worth a crap......You just know 9 millions of those copies sold are because it has Blizzard behind it.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Banden

Well...

The skill system is vastly less open-ended than diablo 2, which is a huge downer for me.

I honestly dont mind the RMAH, I will probably feel a lot differently once PVP is added and it turns out to be no-skills and all about shinies.

People will bitch about the item grind, but anyone who played Diablo 2 would know that once you beat the game its all about the shinies anyway. 

So far Ihve played over 200 hours and dont have any plans to stop. Id say thats an ok entertainment/money ratio and thers also the chance that I might sell something and earn my money back, yay!

I actually really enjoy their skill system.  I can switch up any skills on the fly, including passives.  Back in the day, you would have to level a new character if you wanted to try new skills.

I play a witch doctor and I started off with the pet build of dogs and gargantuan, focusing on jars of spiders for my main attack (which was weak as balls).  I then got zombie dog and started blowing stuff up.  Then, I got zombie bears and ZOMG THE DAMAGE!!!  I had VQ/Zombie Bear build going but I hated the range of zombie bears.

I then switched to the popular spinter darts build while stacking attack speed.  Now, I'm focusing on a strong Tanking build - stacking life on hit and resistance to all stats along with chance to stun/freeze/slow (a CC build).  I spam acid cloud and then follow up with rain of toads.

To summarize: I've tried out many different types of builds supported by different stats to have a lot of unique and fun game play experiences with just a single class!

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by sammandar
    It always never ceases to amaze me how we continue to judge the quality of a game by how many copies it sells. Just because something sells very well does not make it worth the purchase.

Yep, i just had that discussion with my roomey last night.  I simply can't wrap my head around it. I  mean i know its part of our psychology to assume that if someone else is doing something it might be good, and consequently if a bajillion other someones are doing the same something else than by gosh it has to be ok.

Personally i think we were given the ability have independent thought for a reason.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    D3 rocks 800+ hrs played with the rmah paid for my next 3 games from blizzard.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

What I find funny is people always complaining about this game, it always comes down to how many people are still playing today...what they don't realize is it actually is helpful to blizzard if everyone left, since there's no subscription hehe.  The only thing is the RMAH that makes them money, and they get very little from that for each sell :)  Maybe that was thier plan all along.  Sell 10 million, then gg we got our ~$60 million dollars :)

Edit: For me, I love this game, it's paid for my subscriptions to two games for the next year, and then still had over 2x as much money left over.  I don't even play the game that much, maybe 10-15 hours a week, in a good week.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Banden

Well...

Why so you can pay an extra 40 bucks for bug fixes that should have been fixed light years before release ? 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/