Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How F2P will vanguard really be?

ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

First off let me introduce myself.

When i first got wind of this game (years ago) i thought the idea of it sounded awesome. But a few things kept me away.

On release it got bad press, I heard it was pretty GPU intence and at that time i had an older computer and decided i didnt want to play if i needed an upgrade due to money constraints at the time.

Some time passed i got myself a new PC and checked back into Vanguard... and the forums had nothing but negitive things to say about the game. it was lack of endgame content and updates that mostly made my mind up....time went on and i forgot about this game......

Now i hear its going f2p....so again im back and curious. how much of this game is going f2p? we talking aion / league of legends level of f2p? if so thats great...i will download and if  i like might even spend a buck or 2 on vanity stuffs...

but if we talking very restrictive on what i can do for free.... i will just sigh... and go back to playing on aion and LOL....

Comments

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    You can participate in all of the content essentially, and all 3 spheres.   With the way the FTP matrix is now, you can equip gear up to yellow.  So that is fairly rare and powerful, just not raid quality.  So I'm not sure if you would be able to do the higher tier raid content without some unlocks or really nice guildies.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

Better than EQ2 f2p

Originally posted by Deadlyne You can participate in all of the content essentially, and all 3 spheres.   With the way the FTP matrix is now, you can equip gear up to yellow.  So that is fairly rare and powerful, just not raid quality.  So I'm not sure if you would be able to do the higher tier raid content without some unlocks or really nice guildies.
    The raids in Vanguard are persistent?
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    This is incomparably less restrictive than Lotro's, DDO's, or AOC's F2P model. All dungeons / quests / missions / skills / levels / crafting / trading / chatting is unrestrictive for f2p players. There are 7 classes free for all, 6 races, 4 character slots, 3 plat limit (which you hardly exceed until you're at max level) and you can't wear the best gear (obtainable via raid). So basically, if you want to play end-game in VG, you probably will need to subscribe, but everything else is basically unrestricted.

REALITY CHECK

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    So far in every F2P SOE game, you feel forced to subscribe when you want to have a good player experience... F2P for SOE is an extended trial periode

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    So far in every F2P SOE game, you feel forced to subscribe when you want to have a good player experience... F2P for SOE is an extended trial periode

Thanks for not reading the F2P matrix for Vanguard now move along we don't want you playing anyway. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by William12

Thanks for not reading the F2P matrix for Vanguard now move along we don't want you playing anyway. 

I did read it, and even better, it seems like i understood it, where in your case i can only advise you to reread it and think in between the lines.

You can never use general chat channels, just to name one, which is a requirement to find random groups in VG. And there are many more that kill the F2P part without subscription for me.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by William12

I did read it, and even better, it seems like i understood it, where in your case i can only advise you to reread it and think in between the lines.

You can never use general chat channels, just to name one, which is a requirement to find random groups in VG. And there are many more that kill the F2P part without subscription for me.

They've updated some things for F2P players, you might wanna check out the revision.

From what I can remember on top of my head is

Full use of mailbox with extra charge, sub. players pay only 5 copper per mail (with no item attachment) and usually around 1-15 silver with item attachment, IDK about F2P players but it shouldn't be that much of an increase even at 5 silver its still cheap to mail stuff.

Full use of broker at extra charge, this one is tricky as the charge depends on the price you're selling the item for. But its fairly inexpensive as well.

and full use of world chat

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    You must be reading some outdated version of the FTP matrix Lord Bachus.  

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.