Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: F2P Hybrid Coming August 14th

124»

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by finnmacool1
    Originally posted by Thillian

There are no restrictions on levels, quests, dungeons, abilities, mounts, crafting, diplomacy, bags - none restrictions whatsoever. 

For example, Turbine's lotro F@P restrictions: max of 3 bags instead of 5, no permanent mounts, quests only up to level 20, only about 20% dungeons and skirmishes available, 2 locked classes, very restrictive gold cap, no crafting guilds, less trait slots (which serves as talent points), action hall max 5 items posting, etc...

Vanguard will have none of this. All content will be available for free players. 3 plat coins limit on gold (is equivalent to about 100 gold in Lotro - lotro's gold cap is 5 gold)  + 4 character slots (Lotro has 2).

Last updated matrix i saw there were still restrictions on quests,mounts,and bags so unless you have inside information not yet shared ,you are wrong. I doubt you will be able to even level from 50-55 in uncommon gear without being powerleveled or carried. The whole matrix discussion is all kinda moot however considering they've wasted the last 5 months doing crap that didnt need to be done while ignoring bugs and performance tweaks.

What uncommon gear, the gear restriction was lifted, just 2 posts above yours with a link:

For ITEMS, we included "Uncommon and higher" for FREE players.

REALITY CHECK

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Their site is still down for maintenance..

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by William12

Or sub for a month and make any class you want and unsub.   Once made you can still play them even after you sub ends.

you sure about that?  EQ2 does not work that way

I subbed for a month once 2-3 yrs ago and made a white -tiger monk. (forget the name of the cat race). I cancelled sub (station pass actually)  . I can still log on occasionally and play that character for free.

Now ..at one point someone hacked my account or otherwise was able to start a a character and sub. Fortunately they used their own credit card. I only knew because I recieved an email congratulating me for subscribing and purchasing from the store. It has since been cleared up but it is quite possible the person paid for my monk/race in the store. I know there was other stuff like mounts and gear purchased for the "intruders" character that still remain on account. I even play that character from time to time.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BarCrow

I subbed for a month once 2-3 yrs ago and made a white -tiger monk. (forget the name of the cat race). I cancelled sub (station pass actually)  . I can still log on occasionally and play that character for free.

true but EQ2 grandfathered all characters created before 12/06/2011

http://eq2wire.com/2011/12/08/returning-players-grandfathered-characters/

any restricted class made after that date, even if you subbed - had the lock restriction w no sub

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah i actually had a change of heart and went bought a 19.99 station pass for vanguard while waiting on GW2. Its actually quite a decent game still to this day. I didnt care at all for the free to play matrix but they have since lifted some of those restrictions and it seems pretty cool now. Anyways I know alot of people are going to say killing lore but the new ability coming to make any race any class to me is awesome as I like the lore in the factional kingdom that cannot use disciples and thats my favorite class. Dunno this game just reminds me in so many ways to the old pve in DAOC and the vastness of the world is immersive.
  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by finnmacool1

There are no restrictions on levels, quests, dungeons, abilities, mounts, crafting, diplomacy, bags - none restrictions whatsoever. 

For example, Turbine's lotro F@P restrictions: max of 3 bags instead of 5, no permanent mounts, quests only up to level 20, only about 20% dungeons and skirmishes available, 2 locked classes, very restrictive gold cap, no crafting guilds, less trait slots (which serves as talent points), action hall max 5 items posting, etc...

Vanguard will have none of this. All content will be available for free players. 3 plat coins limit on gold (is equivalent to about 100 gold in Lotro - lotro's gold cap is 5 gold)  + 4 character slots (Lotro has 2).

Last updated matrix i saw there were still restrictions on quests,mounts,and bags so unless you have inside information not yet shared ,you are wrong. I doubt you will be able to even level from 50-55 in uncommon gear without being powerleveled or carried. The whole matrix discussion is all kinda moot however considering they've wasted the last 5 months doing crap that didnt need to be done while ignoring bugs and performance tweaks.

What uncommon gear, the gear restriction was lifted, just 2 posts above yours with a link:

For ITEMS, we included "Uncommon and higher" for FREE players.

Yeah i read that wrong. Originally it was restricted to common gear,i read that as them bumping it up to just uncommon which would have been just as useless. Of course all those are "still in discussion" and not yet finalized.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by BarCrow

true but EQ2 grandfathered all characters created before 12/06/2011

http://eq2wire.com/2011/12/08/returning-players-grandfathered-characters/

any restricted class made after that date, even if you subbed - had the lock restriction w no sub

Ahh..well then. Glad I picked a class and race that you have to pay for now...lol. Anyway ..I'm looking forward to Vanguard going F2P so i can visit from time to time. I've pretty much stopped playing MMOs as my primary gaming and gone back to multiplayer and single player /co-op PC games of the non-massive sort. Just kind of burnt out on the typical MMO mechanics and it was an easy decision after the great STEAM sale this summer. I will still go back and visit the worlds of my favorites like AoC, SWTOR, Vanguard and more recently TSW ..but I refuse to live in them.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by rwyan
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Someone just said gw2 doesn't have pve end game because the gear is only cosmetic. Obviously this person needs numbers to feel like raiding, but the reason gw1 was popular was because you didn't get content locked by the gear hamster wheel. And people would raid (yes gw1 has 12 man raids) just as often to get the best looking equipment

I agree.  While some may be largely motivated by min-maxing... I find myself largely motivated by what looks cool to me.  I've been raiding my hiney off in TSW... not because I want the uber stats, but because I really want a specific piece of gear for its looks.

GW1  was not as popular as people pretend it was.   GW2 will not have raids besides an open world boss that drops cosmetic items.   The dungeons are all about farming cosmetic items.   Do you guys really think people are going to farm cosmetic items for that long ?  And once you get them what then ?  Exactly nothing you reroll a new toon or you play something else.  

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    w00t! Can't wait.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    i think SOE is gonna find it was too little too late.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Looks like they plan to update the matrix and faq tommorrow.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Kenze

Better late then never.   People looking for a pure PVE MMO will try it.  VG really is what a real PVE MMO should be a massive seamless world.

Better late then never.   People looking for a pure PVE MMO will try it.  VG really is what a real PVE MMO should be a massive seamless world.

Vanguard is NOT seamless.. just because you cant see them doesnt mean they arent there. "chunk lines" are still very noticable. I still find myself hitting one and it taking 3 or 4 secs to cross and its worse if you happen to try to cross at a section where 2 or 3 line connect and I still often find myself turned around after crossing facing the same direction i just came from thus hitting the same chunk line again... yeah seamless..

—Lao-Tze

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Vanguard is NOT seamless.. just because you cant see them doesnt mean they arent there. "chunk lines" are still very noticable. I still find myself hitting one and it taking 3 or 4 secs to cross and its worse if you happen to try to cross at a section where 2 or 3 line connect and I still often find myself turned around after crossing facing the same direction i just came from thus hitting the same chunk line again... yeah seamless..

Let's put it another way,it's not a zoned world,chunks and zoning are not the same thing.When i chunk it takes a second or it's instant which is due to my SSD and PC spec.

Compared to games like GW2 and lotro and even WOW and AOC and just about any other recent MMO it's as close to seamless as you can get.

But hey, you really don't have to worry,you obviously dislike the game to show so much hate about a simple comment about being seamless lol.

Guess you won't be playing it.

Oh,and i look forward to you trying to explain to me how zoning and chunking our the same thing.

Ill help you though.

When you zone in games like GW2 or any other mmo that has zoning like EQ1-2,you actually disappear to reappear on the other side after a loading screen.When you chunk in Vanguard you don't disappear,if i'm in a group with you then i can still see you across the chunking line,that's how come mobs can chase you across chunk lines.

Chunk is a term used to denote one of the regions of the world of Telon, called regions in some sources. These are respresented as squares on the game map, and delineate content to a certain extent, although they do not function as zones as in many other MMORPGs. Moving from one chunk to another is done continguously, and requires no load screen, although there is sometimes visible hitching when this occurs, known as "chunking".

Most content within a given chunk will be appropriate to a certain level range. This is not universally true, however, and it is unwise to assume absolute safety within a chunk of appropriate level.

http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Chunks

Vanguard is an open world where no where is out of bounds,that't good enough for most.

Oh, invest in an SSD,you won't look back.

my response was still valid. Vanguard may be zoneless but it is NOT seamless. As for your assumption of my hate for the game, you have no clue what youre talking about. Ive played and loved Vanguard since its beta days. Thats doesnt mean I dont see its obvious faults and short comings. Not everyone sees things through those darn rose colored glasses

—Lao-Tze

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm

updated matrix is up. Looks like bags went down from 3 to 2,still no customer service,and items uncommon + still restricted for people without a sub.

I keep underestimating the incompetance of $oe and silius. They reword their matrix after the firestorm over item restrictions then release the exact same setup.

They take their current biggest failure of a game then hamstring it with their worse free to login matrix. Item centric game with 3 spheres requiring gear and limit it to worthless green common gear lol.