Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the next Age of Conan?

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Nobody has been past 50...

I would say getting to 50 is more than what Tortage was.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

It's hard to say. AOC's flaws were only apparent AFTER release. Although I don't think GW2 has this front loaded problem it really is something that remains to be seen.

How will my second playthrough of gw2 be?

When do the stories merge into the final path?

Is the end story genuinely interesting and engaging?

We really have to wait until it comes out and we play 'endgame' to see. Personally from GW1 experience things only went up and up towards the end of the games. Defeat ancient evil? Check. Talk to ancient dragons? Check. Work with heroes of the world? Check. Kill a GOD? Check. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by tordurbar

GW2 is already a success - 3 million at least of pre-orders.

However, the last time I saw such hype was not AOC but SWTOR. GW2 is going to fall almost as hard. The hype will drive lots of players to play it but in three months (or less) the bulk of players will leave. [You want my reasons look to my older posts.]

I really look forward to this game (and did pre-order) but i am so turned off by the rabid fanbois that I am will not be a bit sorry when the qq starts.

You see, talking out of both sides of your mouth at the same time. The problem is, A.Net stated a vision and so far, has delivered on that vision. I do not think players will leave as there is SO MUCH to see and do, also buy once and you can play forever.

Why should I look at your older posts? To what end? You bought the game but want it to fail? Thou dost protest too much.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by terrant
    Originally posted by iamthekiller

Who remembers the hype before AOC released? Damn when I finally got out of tortage it was like someone dropped a cinder block on my john.

Anyway, who thinks Arena.net is fixing to drop some cinder blocks on our johns?

Nope. And here's why:

1. As someone who beta tested AoC, we knew there was no content once you left Tortage, and the gameplay suffered as a result. There was a pretty heavy consensus that FC shoulda held the game back a couple more months, but they did not.
    2. Critcal features (GvG seige battles, which were printed on the box cover) were not available at launch.
    3. One of AoC's "hooks" was the mature content, which got nerfed left and right before it even left beta.
    4. FC never listened to its players or its testers
    5. FC never listened to its players or its testers
    6. Seriously, read that last one again. 

The ONLY real concern I have that's close the the AoC problem  is that we haven't seen level 40+ zones yet. We'll see how that goes once the game goes live.

Exactly, i was there, and all of the above were sadly true, especially 1-5 were true. Ok read 6 again:P

As to the OP question, think that after so many flops, in the MMOkinda RPG genre, that gamers behave like a horde of bees, swarming on one and onto another mmo, as fast as their real juice is up and finished. When the next best thing appears, we will all know, cause the swarm will stay, simple as that.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I was there at Age of Conan release, and stayed longer than most (I think I got to the second sub paid), and these are the reasons I believe it failed and how they'd relate to GW2:

1. Bugs, bugs and more bugs, Age of Conan was full of them. As a personal experience, the first beta of GW2 felt much more polished and bug free. That said, Funcom did a great work fixing them by the time it went F2P (that's when I tried it again).

2. Lack of content. There were several gaps (IIRC at around level 30 and then at 50) that you just ran out of content and had to grind the same solo dungeons over and over (the villas that scaled with your level) because anything else was either too low level so it didn't give you XP or too hard, and the next quest hub was 5+ levels higher than you. We don't know how will content be spaced in GW2 after the starting areas, but since the game auto-scales down and you get level apropiate rewards doing lower level areas you really can't run out of content to do (whether it'll be repetitive or not, we won't know until release). The fact that you can also level and get loot from PvP (WvW) also helps in this regard.

3. End game was just broken. I never got that far, but from what I've talked about in the game, the sieges, that was one of the big features sold in all ads, didn't work until months after release, and IIRC only the first raid worked, the other ones were too bugged to do at all. One of funcom's reps actually said in the forums that they were fixing them as far as they could and really didn't expect people to reach them so fast before they could finish them. On the other hand, while we can't really say anything about GW2's higher level dungeons, the WvW, that would be the equivalent to Sieges, has been working and being very fun since the first beta.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    I've gotten past the first zone and I feel the reverse, the later zones are 1000000% better.
  • eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

Do I need to bring you all the threads about how bad Guild Wars 2 is and how shocked the fans will be when the see the beta and realize that this game is a fail. Now, all these posters have been silent since then becase of the big facepalm they got.

People shout about how bad Guild Wars 2 community is, but what I see, is how childish the trollers are. Everything proves one and only fact: Fans from other games can´t stand the idea that there´s a game destorying their favo game in every aspect, so they open a thread to cry there a little bit.

I am pretty tired of all '' Guild Wars 2 will fail '' threads ... guys, if you know your favo game is so bad compared to Guild Wars 2, don´t come here to cry, but go to school and try learn how to make good arguments.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Humanite
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

I was there at Age of Conan release, and stayed longer than most (I think I got to the second sub paid), and these are the reasons I believe it failed and how they'd relate to GW2:

1. Bugs, bugs and more bugs, Age of Conan was full of them. As a personal experience, the first beta of GW2 felt much more polished and bug free. That said, Funcom did a great work fixing them by the time it went F2P (that's when I tried it again).

2. Lack of content. There were several gaps (IIRC at around level 30 and then at 50) that you just ran out of content and had to grind the same solo dungeons over and over (the villas that scaled with your level) because anything else was either too low level so it didn't give you XP or too hard, and the next quest hub was 5+ levels higher than you. We don't know how will content be spaced in GW2 after the starting areas, but since the game auto-scales down and you get level apropiate rewards doing lower level areas you really can't run out of content to do (whether it'll be repetitive or not, we won't know until release).

3. End game was just broken. I never got that far, but from what I've talked about in the game, the sieges, that was one of the big features sold in all ads, didn't work until months after release, and IIRC only the first raid worked, the other ones were too bugged to do at all. One of funcom's reps actually said in the forums that they were fixing them as far as they could and really didn't expect people to reach them so fast before they could finish them. On the other hand, while we can't really say anything about GW2's higher level dungeons, the WvW, that would be the equivalent to Sieges, has been working and being very fun since the first beta.

reading this post it sounds like TSW is the new AoC.

It is really, they put most of the effort in the first zone I've heard, first zone has 12 investigation quests while the rest have like 3 - 4.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Yes GW2 will be the next AoC O_O

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch
    Originally posted by Humanite
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

2. Lack of content. There were several gaps (IIRC at around level 30 and then at 50) that you just ran out of content and had to grind the same solo dungeons over and over (the villas that scaled with your level) because anything else was either too low level so it didn't give you XP or too hard, and the next quest hub was 5+ levels higher than you. We don't know how will content be spaced in GW2 after the starting areas, but since the game auto-scales down and you get level apropiate rewards doing lower level areas you really can't run out of content to do (whether it'll be repetitive or not, we won't know until release).

reading this post it sounds like TSW is the new AoC.

It is really, they put most of the effort in the first zone I've heard, first zone has 12 investigation quests while the rest have like 3 - 4.

I don't feel it that way, though. TSW does have it's share of bugs, but most are limited to specific quests and nothing game breaking (IMHO), all end game content is working (actually, the main gripe right now is that a few people has already cleared it all and want more), there are no content gaps until end game, and while it's true that the first area has more investigation missions than the other ones, they are at least trying to add content regularly. They just added 5 more investigation missions at the end of july (less than a month after release) across several areas past kingsmouth (the starter one), more are coming at the end of august, and they're promising to keep adding several new missions to the game every month.

I can't say whether TSW will be a huge success, or whether or not will go F2P soon like TOR and AoC did before, but I can say it's a very fun and different game to play right now, but with a subject matter and mechanics that are not for everyone.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I was there on Day 1 of AoC. It wasnt all that bad. I got my bear shaman to the 50's but then it just got crappy, with lag and missing content.

I dont forsee that happening with GW2. There will be plenty of content and the only lag I expect is massive WvWvW. GW2 will be fine. The real question will be once you hit 80. Will there be enough for max players to keep their interest in the game. That remains to be seen.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    I will say in defense of Funcom, they learned from their Mistakes. TSW is not my cup of tea (I played it again this weekend on the free trial to see how it grew), but they made heavy strides in improving gameplay and fixing the problems players had. They responded MUCH quicker than they had in the past, and that's encouraging.
  • MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

AoC lived off the combat mechanic and the mature content.

SWTOR lived off the voiceover crap.

WAR lived off the RvR promise.

Aion lived off wings.

Rift lived off the world events.

I see none of that in GW2. What I see is a refined version of the sieges from WAR, a refined version of the public quests in Rift, a refined version of personal story in SWTOR and a refined version of tab-based combat...

Guildwars 2 has a "no-nonsense" policy. They don't screw around with ONE feature spending ressources like mad on it and neglecting all the basic truths of MMO. They don't invent a new engine, come up with "over 10 days of voiceover", shove "action packed arcade swordplay" into your face...

In fact, the moment they said "we are using a heavily modified version of the guildwars 1 engine" I was all 'whew, way to go'

M

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

As someone who beta tested AoC, we knew there was no content once you left Tortage

You must be joking...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Meridion
    AoC lived off the combat mechanic and the mature content.SWTOR lived off the voiceover crap.WAR lived off the RvR promise.Aion lived off wings.Rift lived off the world events. I see none of that in GW2. What I see is a refined version of the sieges from WAR, a refined version of the public quests in Rift, a refined version of personal story in SWTOR and a refined version of tab-based combat...Guildwars 2 has a "no-nonsense" policy. They don't screw around with ONE feature spending ressources like mad on it and neglecting all the basic truths of MMO. They don't invent a new engine, come up with "over 10 days of voiceover", shove "action packed arcade swordplay" into your face...In fact, the moment they said "we are using a heavily modified version of the guildwars 1 engine" I was all 'whew, way to go'M

Stop kidding yourself, its being promoted on the WvWvW for pvp'rs
    And DE's For PvE folk.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Nitth

As someone who beta tested AoC, we knew there was no content once you left Tortage

You must be joking...

I and many others I know were in the beta and we already knew how the game was going to go.

Originally posted by Cromica

You must be joking...

I and many others I know were in the beta and we already knew how the game was going to go.

Saying there was NO content after tortage is a flat out lie. Content not up to your "standards" possibly.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Originally posted by Meridion
    AoC lived off the combat mechanic and the mature content.

SWTOR lived off the voiceover crap.

WAR lived off the RvR promise.

Aion lived off wings.

Rift lived off the world events.

I see none of that in GW2. What I see is a refined version of the sieges from WAR, a refined version of the public quests in Rift, a refined version of personal story in SWTOR and a refined version of tab-based combat...

Guildwars 2 has a "no-nonsense" policy. They don't screw around with ONE feature spending ressources like mad on it and neglecting all the basic truths of MMO. They don't invent a new engine, come up with "over 10 days of voiceover", shove "action packed arcade swordplay" into your face...

In fact, the moment they said "we are using a heavily modified version of the guildwars 1 engine" I was all 'whew, way to go'

M

Stop kidding yourself, its being promoted on the WvWvW for pvp'rs
    And DE's For PvE folk.

True, but as M said these are refinements on previous mechanics, and there are far more features being promoted, such as the combat, art style, payment model, no trinity etc. GW2 is not dependent on one feature for its PR, (though the DE is most of the open world PVE and that may prove a weakness if DEs are not accepted by the general player, same for the WvW with the pvpers).

You must be joking...

I was exaggerating perhaps. The 20-30 zones were fine....up to 35 or so was fine..but the 35+ zones were horribly lacking in content. The epic story feel of the game vanished, leaving nothing more than a copy-paste of every other MMO out there in terms of quest mechanics. PvP was horribly out of whack...let's not forget when PoMs could just 1-shot people and heal themselves at the same time. Certain races starting areas were low on quests. The 35+ zones felt empty, both from lack of players and lack of...well..anything. 

As to your other post about marketing...the point is most of those MMOs were one-trick ponies. GW2 is a 4-5 trick pony. It's not "Here's WoW with one feature added". It's "Here's WoW with a completely different type of combat system, all the pointless competition in PvE removed, cooperation encouraged, exploration encouraged, deeper questing (compared to WoW and other MMOS of its generation), and massive PvP battles. Any one of those items on their own would not have been enough to make this game stand out to me, had it come to that. But all of them combined do.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

AoC had a preety high hardware treshold and a subscription, those 2 problems had a huge bite on the sucess of AoC.

GW2 suffers from none of those.

A better comparission is SWTOR, will GW2 survive the replayability and end game fun issue?

My guess so far is yes.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by ThemePork

I find it a little fishy that Anet is limiting beta access to the weekends only. To me that's saying either that they're trying to hide something (the game's lack of depth perhaps) or that they want the players to stay in the first impressions "honey moon" state in order to up the hype.

Either way, it's kind of dodgy if you ask me.

They didn't use the same MO with GW1 and all its expansions or anything...

I know, a month ago people though the asura and sylvari were a myth, 4 months ago they thought GW2 was vapourware...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    What an odd thread.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

people allways bash AoC so much, but from a pvp standpoint when i left tortage i had pvp action all the way to level 80.  it was a blast just going out and leveling up knowing pvp can happen at any time.

i think most people didnt like it because they were either bad at pvp or got jumped because they wanted to try and solo everything so they cried and quit.

as for myself i rolled around with a solid group of friends and we had many many battles with other groups of players, from fighting over questing areas to fighting over prime leveling spots. it was a ton of fun, what killed the majority of the population wasnt the early levels it was at level 80 you ran out of stuff to do.

all you people who quit before max level you wernt the majority of the game, there was tons of population at max level it was broken sieges and lack of end game pvp that killed that game on the pvp servers.

the pve servers lasted much longer because pvers like to do raids and conan had that going for it.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    as i loved AoC from day one and am still playing it - yes, i hope its the next AoC :D
    Originally posted by Rivalen

AoC had a preety high hardware treshold and a subscription, those 2 problems had a huge bite on the sucess of AoC.

GW2 suffers from none of those.

A better comparission is SWTOR, will GW2 survive the replayability and end game fun issue?

My guess so far is yes.

Eh, the sub fee I don't think bothered many people by itself.

The hardware reqs, yes. It wasn't referred to as the Crysis of MMOs for nothing. It was brutal unless you had a top end machne. The problems AoC had were 

1. Running out of quests far too easy (if you did every quest in every zone you might be able to progress to the next without mob grinding, but it was rough sometimes).
    2. Major features such as Sieges and DX10 printed on the box but not actually available till far after.
    3. Ganking in White Sands.
    4. Performance issues from FC's end.
    5. No communication from the dev team at all during beta, or during the first several months of live launch.
    6. Major class balance issues that went completely ignored for months, once again with ne developer input.

Did a sub affect my decision to stop playing? Yes. but not because of the sub. it's because I decided I wasn't willing to pay FC 15/mo while all those problems kept on.
This discussion has been closed.