Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Persistence, My Friend

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by arcwest
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    what does this have to do with Massively multiplayer online role-playing games?

I think it pertains to 75-80% of the popluation of said games.........

Eating food pertains to 100% of the population of said games. Maybe MMORPG should start posting articles on how to eat food.... just a thought.

Well, since playign mmo's, especially for long periods of time, results in a somewhat sedentary lifestyle it might be itneresting to post about diets and excercise for people who sit for long periods of tiem such as gamers.

One can play it that way if you want.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Centhan
    Originally posted by lizardbones ... Shining a light on stupidity can be the first step to making it disappear. Or turning it into a meme. It's really a 50/50 thing with the internet.  
    I agree with you, but to be honest, I'm not crazy about the way she went about it.  Yes, shine a light on stupidity and discuss it.  However, I can't help but feel she gives to these sub-humans exactly what they desire, attention, buy posting what they supposedly wrote.  All it does is perpetuate the problem by inspiring them to do it more.

Althought not as extreme, it's somewhat along the lines of the news media who give unbelievable amounts of attention to psychos who shoot up a movie theater or shopping mall.  All they crave is attention, and by golly that's exactly what they get with their pictures being plastered all over the media for the following weeks after the event.

Well, the people being highlighted are going to be stupid, no matter what. This article will neither increase nor decrease the stupidity of those people. However, what could happen is that people who normally wouldn't even think about the misogynistic nature of the posts that get made might think about it. Instead of cracking the easy joke, they might make a post that's actually funny, insightful or at the very least, not stupid.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Lol @ guy who posted he would have tried all of those things if he were still dating.
    This really comes down to ... If your doing those things and chances are the guy that's doing this is reading this thread, then just stop while your ahead man. You need to go look in the mirror ask yourself what the heck are you doing and remeber to think before you speak, post or tweet anything. She obviously isn't digging you, get over it man, there are lots of pretty faces out there go find another one. Another thing too, why do people need to look for love in game? That's a red flag all the way.

Sorry, forgot to add the image so as not to confuse the kids.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Eating food pertains to 100% of the population of said games. Maybe MMORPG should start posting articles on how to eat food.... just a thought.

Good idea, always tough to ensure proper nutrition and excercise while doing all day gaming marathons.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by Teekay

The big problem I have with female gamers are when they're awful, yet you have alot of desperate guys in your team who are all 'Oh let her play with us, she's really good etc etc'.
     You know she isn't good, she is a liability to your teams success. You are being compromised .

Sounds to me your problem is with men.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I knew you were being sarcastic I thought it was funny as all, can we get quotes on the mobile version already btw
  • TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Grakulen

My problem is with players who will faun over any female voice they hear online and don't judge them by ability. They have some insane idea that if they jump around like some lap dog and shower them with praise then someone they'll end up in their pants. 

Exasperating.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Good idea, always tough to ensure proper nutrition and excercise while doing all day gaming marathons.

One of the columnists did this before.

Originally posted by Grakulen

My problem is with players who will faun over any female voice they hear online and don't judge them by ability. They have some insane idea that if they jump around like some lap dog and shower them with praise then someone they'll end up in their pants. 

Exasperating.

I agree with you. It is annoying. I just wanted to point out that our male gamer brethren are just as much a part of the problem.

Bite, hand and feeds spring to mind...

Wow, that's amazing.

Though I don't like her work (as I've mentioned) and though it very well could be true that her being a female in a sea of male commentators is what helped her get to where she is, there are two separate issues in your post.

One, is her ability to do a great job and compete with other commentators, both male and female.

Two, is her predicament where she has to put with verbal abuse.

Regardless of "one" she should never have to put up with "two".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

That's how the internet works.

Abuse is wanton.

BUT...(again), it means page views, and page views means prizes. Would you rather have 100 loyal followers who respect and are perfectly nice to you or 10000 followers who are a mix of nice and creepy a-holes who email you for your bra size twice a week.

HI2U google advertising money please I think....

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I have seen this problem brought up pretty much everywhere and pertaining to everything. Just going by my own observation, it seems that there is a somewhat common thread with why alot of guys treat women terribly. It basically seems to boil down to male resentment of female privilege. Now of course feminists will disagree about the existence of such a thing, argueing that it is male privilege that is the problem and that female privilege doesnt exist but this thread itself has brought up examples of women being treated with defference due to merely being women.

Men have a tendency to not respect each other if they dont believe that those around them have not paid thier dues and earned thier respect. Ironically it is the message of equality that most of the current generation of men have grown up with that has lead to the resentment you now see being displayed online and seemingly everywhere else. The fact that women insist upon equality while at the same time either ignoring the privilege they recieve (and all women do recieve some benefit from it whether they intend to or not) or taking full advantage of it while also pretending it doesnt exist is a level of hypocrisy that rubs alot of men raw and leads to this resentment.

As to you pokket, judging from some of the comments you highlighted it seems that you think pretty highly of yourself. You see these comments from random people you highlighted and judging by the article you chose to feature them in, decided to run with the assumption that these men would like to be romantically involved with you on some level rather than view these comments as likely attacking your credibility (albeit in a most immature and trollish of ways).

I know it may not seem fair but thanks to other women who attempted to do the same thing you are doing, it will be harder to be able to convince alot of guys that you are legitimate. many of them were less convincing as gamer girls than i find you to be (i do believe you are the real thing). Some of the ones we have seen in the past have done some rather dubious things to get attention that wasnt based purely on gaming. Not every man is as impressed with appeals to our more base instincts.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Very cleverly wriiten Pokket...best article yet
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Yeah, thanks a lot, Pokket :) I took your advice to heart and used it to approached my cute neighbour girl. She then punched me in the face! Before she wouldn't even look at me! Now she even touched me! Yay!

:p

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Seriously they need a guide to get ladys now? There is an easier way. 

Step 1 goto the mall.

Step 2 ask every hot girl for thier phone number.

Step 3 call hot girl and go on a date.

After you both decide you are monogamous you have a girl friend. If fails keep trying, it works girls just dont want you to know it does. However if you just looking to get laid then goto a bar and do it. Faster and more risks of disease win some to lose some i guess.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Weretigar

Step 1 goto the mall.

Step 3 use chloroform and rag

Hey now....

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AtibraAtibra Member Posts: 65

People really expect gamers to have any kind of social etiquette?  What game have you guys been playing where this actually exists?

Mature people in the world of gaming is the exception, not the norm:

First, you have to take into account that a large number of young young people play.

Second, you have to take into account that in a competetive environment, even the most mature of people will revert to a primal "fling poo" state.

Third, you have to take into account digital courage (i.e. i'm safe at home in my house, you can't touch me no matter what i say!)

Lastly, some people use games/internet simply to be polar opposites of their true selves (i.e. vent steam)..  if they are sitting around all day being curtious and kind and helping little old ladies across the street, there's the potential for surpressed anger/resentment to build up inside.  Better they act like a moron online then do something idiotic in real life.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Weretigar

Step 1 goto the mall.

Step 3 use chloroform and rag

Hey now....

Well I guess if your a domer fan you could use this tactic aswell :P

Originally posted by Atibra

People really expect gamers to have any kind of social etiquette?  What game have you guys been playing where this actually exists?

Mature people in the world of gaming is the exception, not the norm:

First, you have to take into account that a large number of young young people play.

Second, you have to take into account that in a competetive environment, even the most mature of people will revert to a primal "fling poo" state.

Third, you have to take into account digital courage (i.e. i'm safe at home in my house, you can't touch me no matter what i say!)

Lastly, some people use games/internet simply to be polar opposites of their true selves (i.e. vent steam)..  if they are sitting around all day being curtious and kind and helping little old ladies across the street, there's the potential for surpressed anger/resentment to build up inside.  Better they act like a moron online then do something idiotic in real life.

Depe down I want you to be wrong but somehow i suspect you are right. *shivers*

• YolenYolen Member Posts: 14

Sorry, but reading all this makes author look in my mind like a cheerleader captain girl and not as a professional gamer.

I understand where Pokket's frustration comes but she acts as if she didn't understand looks, position, fame - all come with unwanted attention.

Wouldn't it be better if she just educated people how to REALLY approach a girl (and many don't know that) instead of making fun of people all while screaming "Look how many creeps want to get into my pants!"?

And creeps are really not a problem exclusive to gamer girls. If they really bug you why not just call the cops?

Also, because you base your identity on the fact you are a gamer girl and not a gamer, people who are often annoyed by chicks pretending to be gamers will doubt your credibility AS A GAMER.

Also, this is internet. So, you know... yeah...

So all of this looks like gloating about getting attention.

Well you obviously got ine seeing as how I registered just to comment on this. But not because it's a good text but because of how BAD it makes you look.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Yolen

Sorry, but reading all this makes author look in my mind like a cheerleader captain girl and not as a professional gamer.

I understand where Pokket's frustration comes but she acts as if she didn't understand looks, position, fame - all come with unwanted attention.

Wouldn't it be better if she just educated people how to REALLY approach a girl (and many don't know that) instead of making fun of people all while screaming "Look how many creeps want to get into my pants!"?

And creeps are really not a problem exclusive to gamer girls. If they really bug you why not just call the cops?

Also, because you base your identity on the fact you are a gamer girl and not a gamer, people who are often annoyed by chicks pretending to be gamers will doubt your credibility AS A GAMER.

Also, this is internet. So, you know... yeah...

So all of this looks like gloating about getting attention.

Well you obviously got ine seeing as how I registered just to comment on this. But not because it's a good text but because of how BAD it makes you look.

Look man...

Anyone that stalks or writes the type of posts she gave as an example doesn't deserve wasting the time. Not like she's referring to a poster that says, "Omg lolzers she so hot!" Pretty sure she's referring to people that actually insult her with every ounce of their being or simply write vile post after post trying to demean her in any way they can. There's no reasoning with them. If she did actually do what you suggested they would tear it to pieces anyways.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Honestly, I would take the last one (you are too attractive to be into the game) as a complement.

It's kind of like when you are doing so well in an FPS that everyone calls you a h4xx0r.  They basically can't accept that you can be that good, so you must be cheating.  Ultimate complement.

I know that I would feel pretty good about myself if someone thought that I was so out-of-their-league attractive that I couldn't possibly be into the same game they are lol :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

She should live it up while she can. When age and gravity hits she'll have nothing. Not even a serious journalism career to fall back on. LOL

Then what will you do when those same internet fools won't even give you the time of day?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Pretender00
    She should live it up while she can. When age and gravity hits she'll have nothing. Not even a serious journalism career to fall back on. LOLThen what will you do when those same internet fools won't even give you the time of day?

She will have had a career where her job was playing video games all day, and then more or less saying whatever she felt like saying about them. Sounds kind of like she's already won.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.