Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Ten Million and Counting

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to Activision-Blizzard's latest earnings report, the gaming world has snapped up over ten million copies of Diablo III since it launched in May.

Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo III, released on May 15, 2012,set a new industry launch record for PC games and was the #1 best-selling PC game for the first six months of 2012. Through July, more than 10 million players have entered the world of Sanctuary.

Check out the full financial report on Activision-Blizzard's site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Yes, yes. But how many did stay ... ?

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Diablo 3 was the biggest dissapointment this year, and ...If the rumors are correct ..So does it's players
  • sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    It always never ceases to amaze me how we continue to judge the quality of a game by how many copies it sells. Just because something sells very well does not make it worth the purchase.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Not surprise, its a blizzard title after all and its B2P... Plus with more Nerf to inferno mode and them realizing there loot algorithm is messed up i'm actually looking forward to the expansion.. D2 xpac solve many of D2 short coming.

Next up Sc2: HoS, and while I don't see that selling as much as this it to will be profitable...
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I would go and check players online but it's already uninstalled.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Diablo 3 will sell X.  Diablo 4 will sell X - 50 to 75%.   Crap game. 
  • OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

I'm going to buy D3.  I'm just going to wait until it's $15.  So they'll get my money in a couple of years I guess.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Diablo 3:  8 million copies to asian gold farmers.  2 million copies to gamers elsewhere.  500K people still playing.  The hype machine is brilliant!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

@ sammandar

While true what you said.. But there has to be something there to others people liking else the game wouldn't continue to sell at such a fast pace... Weather its the fact you can make money off the game or some other nic, something is in the game to warrant person spreading the word that its worth getting and they casts there own judgement..
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Diablo 3:  8 million copies to asian gold farmers.  2 million copies to gamers elsewhere.  500K people still playing.  The hype machine is brilliant!

Serious question though... does anyone know how many copies of D3 were sold in each of the markets? NA, EU & Asia

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    With a hyped gamespress and an immensely popular ip I'm not surprised at all. But this also makes it difficult to say if this is a success. If the game was actually received better by the players, it just as well could've been 20 million.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    With a hyped gamespress and an immensely popular ip I'm not surprised at all. But this also makes it difficult to say if this is a success. If the game was actually received better by the players, it just as well could've been 20 million.

agree,  as Ive posted elsewhere

D3 sold 10 million in 2 months (including the 1.2 million annual pass)

but the bulk of that happened in the first week with 7.5 million sold (including annual pass)

I doubt D3 will sell 20 million before 2013

Originally posted by Xstatic912
    @ sammandar

While true what you said.. But there has to be something there to others people liking else the game wouldn't continue to sell at such a fast pace... Weather its the fact you can make money off the game or some other nic, something is in the game to warrant person spreading the word that its worth getting and they casts there own judgement..

I'm not saying people can't make their judgment about a game they have purchased. But just because Bio/EA can sell over 3 million copies of SWTOR does not make SWTOR a worthwhile game. Just because Blizzard can well ove 10 million copies of D3, does not make D3 a worthwhile game. I guess in essence quality is subjective because no two players are a like; so in essence my point is somewhat irrelevant. Having said that, though number of copies sold is a measure of "success", it in itself is not a measure of quality.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I've got a funny feeling Diablo 4 wont do nearly as well.

Joined - July 2004

Did anyone really expect this type of game to have lasting appeal as it once did 10+ yrs ago... there is a reason only so few of these type of game are made anymore, you stand a better chance of keeping players with shooters now-a-days..
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Activision Blizzard has three central franchises: Call of Duty, Warcraft, and - now - Diablo.

The problem that the company has is that its impressive cashflow is almost entirely dependent on World of Warcraft. Without World of Warcraft, it will be lossing almost 60% of its earnings. Not even the behemoth (and flagging) franchise that is Call of Duty can keep up with the amount of money Blizzard makes through subscriptions in a year.

Many people want to know why Vivendi are attemtping to severe themselves from Activision Blizzard. The answer is pretty simple: Activision Blizzard is, as a long term prospect, unsustainable. With World of Warcraft numbers declining at a steady and not-insignificant rate, the liquidity and cashflow that the company has it dwindling. Certainly it's going to take a while before they're cash-strapped, but it's going to take them less time to fall from the perch they've been sat upon for the last 4 years.

Activision Blizzard is a catastrophe waiting to happenm regardless of how well Diablo 3 sold.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Fail to see the appeal of a game where you have to play the same story over and over again just to get gear at an increasing and frustrating difficulty. Seems like all the worst parts of an MMO glued together. I'll buy it BUT like on of the other posters said, only when its in like a discount bin or when the price has dropped to like $15-20. If it never does, I'm sure I'm not missing out on squat. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Activision Blizzard has three central franchises: Call of Duty, Warcraft, and - now - Diablo.

The problem that the company has is that its impressive cashflow is almost entirely dependent on World of Warcraft. Without World of Warcraft, it will be lossing almost 60% of its earnings. Not even the behemoth (and flagging) franchise that is Call of Duty can keep up with the amount of money Blizzard makes through subscriptions in a year.

I disagree

Blizzard doubled their profits last year -- and it was not due to WOW subs

Call of Duty made them a boatload of cash

Activision Blizzard posts $1 billion profit in 2011

http://www.gamespot.com/news/activision-blizzard-posts-1-billion-profit-in-2011-6350085

day, Activision Blizzard reported its fiscal 2011 earnings report, and the success of the first-person shooter franchise helped propel the company to record profits of $1.08 billion on revenues of $4.76 billion. That's a significant improvement over 2010, when profits were $418 million on revenues of $4.45 billion.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    34 people on my friends list and none of them has loged in since mid July. As for me, after killing Diablo on inferno with my 3rd character and spending about 100 hours farming act 3 / 4 with crappy results (one 1000 dps xbow and a helm of command the only noticable drops) i totally lost interest as well.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I like it and play every day. I wonder if people's opinion would be different about the game if the always on-line and RMAH wasn't in the game.

When people buy all their gear, either on the Gold or RM AH, then there really isn't a point to playing past the first playthrough.

I've played other games that are similar to Diablo 3, and Diablo 3 is much superior BY FAR. So, even tho my positive opinion goes against the popular opinion that D3 is a bad game, I think I'm still right. Over 200 hours played and still going strong.

@ sammandar

I reality I think this game was just too hype and long overdue that person expected the second coming...

I don't know, but maybe i'm too jaded. I saw d3 as an ok game, with the changes the keep making up to release I had a feeling direction on the game was out of sync and as such I expected and ok release just to appease fans..

So far the D2 guys that are making torchlight 2, "Seems" to be on the right track..
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by sammandar
    It always never ceases to amaze me how we continue to judge the quality of a game by how many copies it sells. Just because something sells very well does not make it worth the purchase.

Agreed.

I include myself in the "sucker" category unfortunately. The game is pure garbage.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by sammandar

Agreed.

I include myself in the "sucker" category unfortunately. The game is pure garbage.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I am regularly), but weren't you bashing this game all the way back in beta? Why did you buy it?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I got my money's worth out of it. Can't ask for more (Though lot of people do).

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83
    10million and I am not one of them I feel kind of left out ..... not. I never have played a blizzard game yet and if they continue to make same type of titles I never will. I understand thats just my taste but on the other hand I don't understand how such boring and ugly looking games receive such attention.