Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: F2P Hybrid Coming August 14th

13

Comments

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon
    Just in case anyone hasn't figured it out yet. You can create a trial account and you will be able to play freely until the game goes FTP.
  • CoolitCoolit FalkirkPosts: 468Member Uncommon
    I think it's come firstly to late and secondly the timing couldnt be worse unfortunately. With GW2 out this month and the f2p announcement for SWTOR Vanguard wont have nearly the impact it would have had with better timing, which is a real shame.   
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Coolit
    I think it's come firstly to late and secondly the timing couldnt be worse unfortunately. With GW2 out this month and the f2p announcement for SWTOR Vanguard wont have nearly the impact it would have had with better timing, which is a real shame.   


    Possibly.

    It does seem to be an odd tme to do it.

    Having said that, I really like Vanguard more than I like GW2, it's just a different game and it speaks more to my interests (with the exception of pvp).

    So perhaps other players, like me, aren't quite on the GW2 bandwagon and might be more interested in Vanguard, strictly from an "old style game" perspective.

  • kantseemekantseeme millville, NJPosts: 709Member
    if enough people are playing i might resub. i cant see a reason for playing it on the f2p model. If the world itself start to get repopulated then i can justify spending 15. But like someone else said early in the post. GW2 is goin to launch 2 weeks later.... Once again bad timing on soes part. They were 3 years to late in making it f2p.
  • PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member

    I think it can be successful if people go in thinking "what does this game have that I like", instead of nit-picking the faults they will inevitably find.

     

    No game is perfect, and knowing that from the start can go a long way in keeping a positive perspective.  

     

    I'm downloading the trial now...

  • rdrakkenrdrakken Gotham, FLPosts: 426Member

    Hybrid is not F2P, F2P is F2P...stop advertising paytraps as free. The game is either free or it isnt, part free is not free. free is free.

    BTW, its not F2P

  • William12William12 Saint paul, MNPosts: 680Member
    Originally posted by rdrakken

    Hybrid is not F2P, F2P is F2P...stop advertising paytraps as free. The game is either free or it isnt, part free is not free. free is free.

    BTW, its not F2P

    No game is F2P by your criteria.  

  • PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member
    Originally posted by rdrakken

    Hybrid is not F2P, F2P is F2P...stop advertising paytraps as free. The game is either free or it isnt, part free is not free. free is free.

    BTW, its not F2P

     

    I think you are confusing "rdrakken's idea of F2P" with "the rest of the world's idea of F2P"

     

    Find anyone, other than yourself, and they can easily explain the simple concept of what F2P is.

  • ThillianThillian BratislavaPosts: 3,143Member Uncommon

    This F2P system will have incomparably less restrictions than Lotro or DDO or AoC F2P system.

     

    REALITY CHECK

  • xpiherxpiher Indianapolis, INPosts: 3,311Member
    Someone just said gw2 doesn't have pve end game because the gear is only cosmetic. Obviously this person needs numbers to feel like raiding, but the reason gw1 was popular was because you didn't get content locked by the gear hamster wheel. And people would raid (yes gw1 has 12 man raids) just as often to get the best looking equipment

    image
    Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

  • Methos12Methos12 Maladis 46Posts: 1,234Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Thillian

    This F2P system will have incomparably less restrictions than Lotro or DDO or AoC F2P system.

     

    So it seems. Also, the comparison matrix is out of date.

    Nature without Technology is little more than animals running about.
    Nature without Magic is without wonder or miracle.
    .........
    Magic without Technology is fantasy.
    Magic without Nature is formless and useless.
    .........
    Technology without Nature is application without understanding.
    Technology without Magic is repetitious and uninventive.
  • vieplis666vieplis666 RigaPosts: 33Member
    Sony online entertainment games adr FAKE free to play games, with locked content, locked characters, dungeons, maps,levels etc, dont support LIARS ! Few days ago wasted my time and tried dc universe online SOE game also, and yes its FAKE FREE TO PLAY GAME with locked content ,its crap anyway even for free!
  • vieplis666vieplis666 RigaPosts: 33Member
    Everquest is another FAKE FREE TO PLAY GAME ,dont waste your time! Almost all american and european online games are FAKE FREE TO PLAY games, stick with asian ported games, runes of magic is one of them, not so similar like thousands of same mmos with pokemon faces and half naked kids, looks medieval and you can earn cas shop money there by playing, and theres no any locks and no one force you to buy anything like SOE, also iving aout tonns of cash shop gifts time to time. SOE learn from them you suck,greedy LIARS!
  • oubersoubers bazelPosts: 876Member Common

    its not going F2P....its going SOE model PPO (Pay Per Option and everything is an option).

    Dont be fooled its not going free to play, SOE doesnt know what free to play is.

    I had big love for this game back in the days when it came out.....then they stopped working on it and i left because i refused to pay a sub for a game that doesnt get the patches (read: love) it deserved back then.

    RIP Vanguard my love.

     

    image
  • William12William12 Saint paul, MNPosts: 680Member
    If you can download it for free and play to max level without paying for anything its free.  You just don't like that you have to pay to play certain classes.   Sorry, but they do need to make money on this after investing heavily in a new dev team to update the game and release new stuff.   I always say F2P is good and if they earn the money I will spend it.   Some of you are just cheap as hell and want stuff for free when that isn't how the real world works.
  • rwyanrwyan raleigh, NCPosts: 461Member
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Someone just said gw2 doesn't have pve end game because the gear is only cosmetic. Obviously this person needs numbers to feel like raiding, but the reason gw1 was popular was because you didn't get content locked by the gear hamster wheel. And people would raid (yes gw1 has 12 man raids) just as often to get the best looking equipment

    I agree.  While some may be largely motivated by min-maxing... I find myself largely motivated by what looks cool to me.  I've been raiding my hiney off in TSW... not because I want the uber stats, but because I really want a specific piece of gear for its looks.

  • ThillianThillian BratislavaPosts: 3,143Member Uncommon

    There are no restrictions on levels, quests, dungeons, abilities, mounts, crafting, diplomacy, bags - none restrictions whatsoever. 

    For example, Turbine's lotro F@P restrictions: max of 3 bags instead of 5, no permanent mounts, quests only up to level 20, only about 20% dungeons and skirmishes available, 2 locked classes, very restrictive gold cap, no crafting guilds, less trait slots (which serves as talent points), action hall max 5 items posting, etc...

    Vanguard will have none of this. All content will be available for free players. 3 plat coins limit on gold (is equivalent to about 100 gold in Lotro - lotro's gold cap is 5 gold)  + 4 character slots (Lotro has 2).

    REALITY CHECK

  • RyowulfRyowulf Greensburg, PAPosts: 668Member

    All they are doing in introducing more bugs without fixing the old ones.

    Lets go over the restrictions.

    6 races open. I guess that's fine as long as the race you want to play is among those.

    7 classes open. 'see above comment'

    4 character slots per account (out of 12). I guess 4 is better than 1.

    1 plat gold limit. Okay this one hurts a little.

    15 quest limit. Ouch. I hope you enjoy running back and forth. Get a few quests do them go back pick up some more.

    You can only wear common items. And here is where it all breaks down. You want to pvp? good luck. You want to raid with common gear? hah.

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

    1 plat gold limit. Okay this one hurts a little.

    You can only wear common items. And here is where it all breaks down. You want to pvp? good luck. You want to raid with common gear? hah.

    a revised matrix is expected to be posted
    http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=57701

     

    otherwise, i dont know of any ftp mmo where people expect to raid without subbing

  • eddieg50eddieg50 Tolland, CTPosts: 1,613Member Uncommon
    vanguard is a game crying out for a big population and it needs it becuase of its huge and seemless world, if they can cure the lag the game will be successful
  • Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Jefferson, GAPosts: 137Member

    Having played LOTRO, Everquest 2, and Everquest all with the FTP model and enjoying them all (some more than others) Vanguard looks to have the best FTP model of them all.  There are people who will always find something to complain about though, but thats their problem, I look forward to August 14th. 

     

     (forgot to mention, also tried AoC and did not like their FTP model at all)

  • ThillianThillian BratislavaPosts: 3,143Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

    All they are doing in introducing more bugs without fixing the old ones.

    Lets go over the restrictions.

    6 races open. I guess that's fine as long as the race you want to play is among those.

    7 classes open. 'see above comment'

    4 character slots per account (out of 12). I guess 4 is better than 1.

    1 plat gold limit. Okay this one hurts a little.

    15 quest limit. Ouch. I hope you enjoy running back and forth. Get a few quests do them go back pick up some more.

    You can only wear common items. And here is where it all breaks down. You want to pvp? good luck. You want to raid with common gear? hah.

    THIS ISNT TRUE. This is outdated info. Several restrictions were lifted AFTERWARDS. AND IT was already posted in this thread already.

     

    • For COIN allowance, we bumped the coin limit from 1 plat to 3 plat for FREE players.
    • For ITEMS, we included "Uncommon and higher" for FREE players. Some items will still be limited but it will be on a case by case basis.
    • For In-game Mailing, we give FREE players full access, but at higher mailing rates.
    • For CHAT, we give FREE players full access.
    • For the BROKER system, we give FREE players full access, but at higher broker fees for placing items up for sale.

    REALITY CHECK

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

    I like that you guys write F2P-hybrid now to show that you can still have a sub for the game. I also hope that there will be enough new players to get some development going for this game. The newly updated restrictions look quite good for a SOE F2P-hybrid.

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rdrakken

    Hybrid is not F2P, F2P is F2P...stop advertising paytraps as free. The game is either free or it isnt, part free is not free. free is free.

    BTW, its not F2P

     

    You can play without paying one cent, so yes it is literally free to play. You can also get some perks when paying a subscription. So yes it is also subscription based. Hence the hybrid-F2P. There is no trap here. When you play for free you are not obligated to start paying.

  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Corona, CAPosts: 453Member
    Originally posted by Thillian

    There are no restrictions on levels, quests, dungeons, abilities, mounts, crafting, diplomacy, bags - none restrictions whatsoever. 

    For example, Turbine's lotro F@P restrictions: max of 3 bags instead of 5, no permanent mounts, quests only up to level 20, only about 20% dungeons and skirmishes available, 2 locked classes, very restrictive gold cap, no crafting guilds, less trait slots (which serves as talent points), action hall max 5 items posting, etc...

    Vanguard will have none of this. All content will be available for free players. 3 plat coins limit on gold (is equivalent to about 100 gold in Lotro - lotro's gold cap is 5 gold)  + 4 character slots (Lotro has 2).


    Last updated matrix i saw there were still restrictions on quests,mounts,and bags so unless you have inside information not yet shared ,you are wrong. I doubt you will be able to even level from 50-55 in uncommon gear without being powerleveled or carried. The whole matrix discussion is all kinda moot however considering they've wasted the last 5 months doing crap that didnt need to be done while ignoring bugs and performance tweaks.

Sign In or Register to comment.