Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's talk endgame.

Comments

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Its not out yet, nobody knows what endgame will be like
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by pointchiz
    Then your just a mouse chasing after a peice of cheese. +1 on this or +1 on that is a very shallow system. It's proven to be extremely effective to keep the hamsters running on the hamster wheel though.

that makes no sense. 

Actually it makes perfect sense.  WoW puts so much effort into raids and raid locks to keep you paying a sub fee.  No one seems to get this.  Endgame is ALL ABOUT KEEPING YOU PAYING, NOT PLAYING.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by pointchiz
    Then your just a mouse chasing after a peice of cheese. +1 on this or +1 on that is a very shallow system. It's proven to be extremely effective to keep the hamsters running on the hamster wheel though.

that makes no sense. 

Actually it makes perfect sense.  WoW puts so much effort into raids and raid locks to keep you paying a sub fee.  No one seems to get this.  Endgame is ALL ABOUT KEEPING YOU PAYING, NOT PLAYING.

Right, because ANet wont apply the same strategy for you to buy their Xpacs and items on the cash shop instead, am I right? I mean they only do it from the goodness of their hearts and for the gamers, god forbid if anyone of those people raiding in WoW were actually having fun, but if you weren't having fun then no one else can, no chance! It must be some sort of elaborate con from Blizzard! I am actually wondering what will be the impact on ANet now that Nexon has a controlling stake on NCSoft.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by andreika111
    Its not out yet, nobody knows what endgame will be like

Um we kind of do. It's not a bimodal game like a lot of mmos are.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Adzija

There is gear progression.

However, gear with best stats can be gained through crafting, dungeons, DE bosses and maybe pvp (not sure about last).

It's not like when you hit 80 you insta get best gear and that's it. You still have to find that best piece.

Only difference is that unlike most other MMORPG best gear is not in raids only and it should be easier to get for all.

Is this really what the genre needs more of?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    You just dinged 80. You don't like leveling alts and want to finally experience GW2's endgame. What will keep you occupied for a whole year until the next expansion?

End what now? End who what?

The days of rushing to max are over dude, time to join the mature gameplay. Just sayin.

What exactly is a "mature gameplay"? Casual?

prolly just PLAYING the game instead of just rushing through without having read a single letter in your quest .

(spacebar in SWTOR anyone???)

Just to be server first??.......can you tell the name of the guy who was server first in SWTOR from the top of your head now....no peaking at google now......that's right......you can't, my point is......noone cares about server first if you realy like the game.

So plz dont say games are all about endgame ok? because GW2 is all "end-game" from lvl 2 to 80 :p

Rushing to the endgame is SO 2011.....yeah its getting old :p

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

One thing I don't get about all the GW2 fans is that they hate the gear grind yet support the level grind. They both have an end, they both make your character more powerful. Seriously what's the big difference? Is it that the end game gear is too difficult to obtain for you, so you feel you can't compete with the sub max gear?

From what I've seen level still has a significant impact on WvW battle. So how again is GW2's pvp so much better than everything else's?

I guess it's because it's a little new, few different things, and players that have played the beta are still in the honeymoon period.

Every game players have a slight interest in is the coolest game ever during this time.

New things are cool, but I've seen this show too many damn times over the last decade.

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by jusomdude

One thing I don't get about all the GW2 fans is that they hate the gear grind yet support the level grind. They both have an end, they both make your character more powerful. Seriously what's the big difference? Is it that the end game gear is too difficult to obtain for you, so you feel you can't compete with the sub max gear?

From what I've seen level still has a significant impact on WvW battle. So how again is GW2's pvp so much better than everything else's?

I guess it's because it's a little new, few different things, and players that have played the beta are still in the honeymoon period.

Every game players have a slight interest in is the coolest game ever during this time.

New things are cool, but I've seen this show too many damn times over the last decade.

Gear grinds DO NOT have an end though, the next content patch or expansion will make your gear worthless and the treadmill starts again.

I understand your skepticism, but the difference here, at least for me, is Anet has a very concrete well laid out manifesto that they've built the game around and I like what I read in it.

Another factor is since the progression is horizontal we can get a pretty clear picture of what the game will be like just playing up to 30, since in theory the basic game play should not change between then and max.

I've been there for all the same shows you have, believe me. I'm hopeful that my points above, and the fact this isn't another WoW gear treadmill progression game will be enough for this game to finaly break the cycle of disapointment MMOs are stuck in.

Besides, even if it's not I've only lost the price on the box, which would be well worth even a month of quality gameplay.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Don't you get it, it is an elaborate con, blizzard make 400 million clear profit a year, if they invested even half of that into wow the game would be beyond glorious forever. Anet have a different strategy as with GW1 they don't have the same pressure to make obscene profits. They could for example have had a sub- I for 1 would have gladly paid a sub. Think on it, 400 million clear profit, and fit that you get star progression in 1-2 dungeons with the rest of the game out geared. If you think you getting value for money then fine.

This thread is about end game. Gw2 has end game that many love, many don't it 'seems' that's the way it should be is it not- what's to discuss?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129

My answer to questions like these:

If you don't get it by now, you won't get it, ever.

The concept of not having stat based gear progression is not a new concept. GW1 has used it for 7 years now. With all the info out now about what GW2 actually is, the only question you need to ask yourself is:

Do I want to play a game with a stat based gear progression, which you have played for over a decade?

GW2 is a great game, but sadly it won't be for everyone. My only suggestion is play through it, experience what the endgame actually is and then decide if it is for you or not. Whats to lose? 50 bucks and your time...

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by bcbully

Can't you see  they give you less and now are telling you it's new, innovative and more?

Swtor was crucified for having no endgame. Hell it even launched with raids. There will be more endgame in swtor than Gw2 at launch.

Less is more! Nice Orwellian reference there.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

One thing i don't get about WoW fans, is why they post here at all, trying to stir shit up.

You already made your point clear in your "gw2 pvp vs wow pvp" thread that you love wow, so stick with it and let us fanboys be at our leisure.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I'll Be Roleplaying! :D!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

There is a major difference betwen the two that you just seem to be missing for some reason. The gear grind does not have an end in other games like you try and express in your post. You literally just gloss over that fact that is so central to the reason why some people don't enjoy gear grinding.

There is a limit to the level grind in most MMORPGs.

There is no limit to the gear grind in many MMORPGs.

Leveling feels worthwhile because you accomplish something that can't be taken away from you. Gear grinding has the odd effect of making you feel like you haven't accomplished anything because everything is replaceable within a short period of time. Your gear is essentially taken away from you by being made worthless when it comes to enjoying new content every three to six months.

You apprently enjoy gear grinding. And that's fine and there are a lot of games with that mechanic for you to play. But GW2 is not one of those games. The game does reward you in many ways, but stat progression through a repeatable gear grind is not one of them. 

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by colddog04

There is a major difference betwen the two that you just seem to be missing for some reason. The gear grind does not have an end in other games like you try and express in your post. You literally just gloss over that fact that is so central to the reason why some people don't enjoy gear grinding.

Leveling feels worthwhile because you accomplish something that can't be taken away from you. Gear grinding has the odd effect of making you feel like you haven't accomplished anything because everything is replaceable within a short period of time. Your gear is essentially taken away from you by being made worthless when it comes to enjoying new content every three to six months.

You apprently enjoy gear grinding. And that's fine and there are a lot of games with that mechanic for you to play. But GW2 is not one of those games. The game does reward you in many ways, but stat progression through a repeatable gear grind is not one of them. 

What the sam hell are you talking about. There isn't an infinite amount of end game gear to collect. Once you get the gear for the current expansion or big patch you're done until the next one. Maxing a character out in second best pvp gear in wow might take a month if you play very casually. A few days if you play a bit more. And when it comes to gear. It doesn't matter what the hell you have unless you like to pvp. Although even pve gear that would allow all content to be seen can be attained quickly also.

Do you rage when you have to gain more levels in xpacs? I don't see how people are fans of RPGs when they are against their core mechanics.

GW2 isn't even fixing this when it comes to WvW. There are still gear and level disparities. Maybe just not as severe as other games. Sure low levels are boosted, but they are still gimped when fighting real higher leveled players.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

GW2 does remove a lot of grind by removing a lot of the power progression horizon.

Unfortunately, it doesn't replace what it removes with anything.

They're just expecting players to repeat similar content over and over for "prestige" rewards instead of actual power.

But since the game will inevitably be exhausted in terms of fresh content in a relatively short period of time - I don't see any advantage whatsoever.

Well, unless you really enjoy repeating content over and over because it's SO fun - as if that wasn't possible in other themeparks. Content is fun for a while - and then you start looking for something new. The reason people raided Molten Core for 1-2 years isn't that the instance was so very brilliant - but because it offered them a carrot. Content burns itself out inevitably. In GW2 - it will just happen a lot faster.

WvW is, of course, significant if you're into playing an identical map on a 2-week reset timer over and over - where you're simply one face amongst countless others, either being part of the mindless zerg or following orders from a "leader" type figure. Oh, for no reward except the "prestige loot" and potentially winning this closed-off instance that has no relation with the open world

Not for me, but to each his own.

• expendable83expendable83 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by DKLond

GW2 does remove a lot of grind by removing a lot of the power progression horizon.

They're just expecting players to repeat similar content over and over for "prestige" rewards instead of actual power.

But since the game will inevitably be exhausted in terms of fresh content in a relatively short period of time - I don't see any advantage whatsoever.

Well, unless you really enjoy repeating content over and over because it's SO fun - as if that wasn't possible in other themeparks. Content is fun for a while - and then you start looking for something new. The reason people raided Molten Core for 1-2 years isn't that the instance was so very brilliant - but because it offered them a carrot. Content burns itself out inevitably. In GW2 - it will just happen a lot faster.

WvW is, of course, significant if you're into playing an identical map on a 2-week reset timer over and over - where you're simply one face amongst countless others, either being part of the mindless zerg or following orders from a "leader" type figure. Oh, for no reward except the "prestige loot" and potentially winning this closed-off instance that has no relation with the open world

++1 to all that. And .. those are just some of the problems this game has. It will be ugly after the first 1-2 weeks :D

• AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by expendable83

++1 to all that. And .. those are just some of the problems this game has. It will be ugly after the first 1-2 weeks :D

So it's now problem that you don't have to do content when it's no longer fun?

Weird, I tought real problem is that game makes you do content even if it's not fun any more because you need that last boss drop.

Just pointing out that people have different views and this whole discussion is pointless.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

What the sam hell are you talking about. There isn't an infinite amount of end game gear to collect. Once you get the gear for the current expansion or big patch you're done until the next one. Maxing a character out in second best pvp gear in wow might take a month if you play very casually. A few days if you play a bit more. And when it comes to gear. It doesn't matter what the hell you have unless you like to pvp. Although even pve gear that would allow all content to be seen can be attained quickly also.

Do you rage when you have to gain more levels in xpacs? I don't see how people are fans of RPGs when they are against their core mechanics.

GW2 isn't even fixing this when it comes to WvW. There are still gear and level disparities. Maybe just not as severe as other games. Sure low levels are boosted, but they are still gimped when fighting real higher leveled players.

Gear grind IS infinite - I will give you an example - RIFT. Patch 1.9 is out and it has a new instance and new gear. It takes alot of grinding to get ALL the gear from that instance. The gear is also higher spec'ed so YOU want that gear to replace your current gear. You also have to grind out dailies and other instances to buy this new gear. They are already planning the next expansion for Rift and that will also have more gear that is higher ned.

That is what we mean by infinite. Just because you have the current armor, you still have to save up to get the armor from the next patch because it will be better than what you have already. Call it the 'Gear Grind' wheel. You also have to go through these instances alot to get the right items for the gear. They reset these instances and they rest in Rift each week. ALso the amount of time to play in a group in each instance (normally 3-5 hrs minimum) for 1/2 of the instance. I won't even mention the cookie cutter builds you have to use to get through.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Weird, I tought real problem is that game makes you do content even if it's not fun any more because you need that last boss drop.

Just pointing out that people have different views and this whole discussion is pointless.

Ehm, no, the problem is that the game will inevitably be "no longer fun" in a few months - like all themeparks. Now, I fully agree that introducing gear grind is a very poor excuse to extend the lifetime of a game - but it STILL offers MORE than GW2 with NO grind.

I have no idea why people keep grinding gear if they don't think that's fun - but I never did. Personally, I'm ok with the way the token system has been introduced that put a natural limit on how much "grind" the games had. I still don't like the grind - but if the games offered more than simply content repetition - then I'd have much more fun going for gear than going for nothing at all.

Problem is that neither GW2 - nor any other themepark offer MORE than repetition of similar content. They're still just themeparks with developer-created "rides" that will naturally exhaust their own fun. GW2 does NOTHING to alleviate this.

By almost entirely removing the gear grind - ArenaNet has cured the disease by killing the patient. They might think that's brilliant - and their fans might think that's brilliant - but I certainly don't. It just means even less of a reason to repeat content.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by heartless

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Chopsticks

I will accept you apology when you give it.  I will not respond to anything else about TSW. This is about GW2. 

Apology for what? You're obviously exaggerating.  First where does it say days played on that link?

Here is my character a few days before I stopped playing. This is at about 4 days /played. You know the command in the game? For some reason the Chronicle didn't update itself to my most current character level but whatever. You're trying to tell me that at 14 days /played, you only have 50% when I had 37% at 4 days /played?

Either you're doing something wrong, I'm doing something right or you go AFK for hours on end. Or maybe you're just exaggerating. Unless all you do is PvP, then I can sort of see how what you claim is possible.

He linked a picture that showed he has played 17 days 21 hours. Which means that he has played the game ~12 hours per day since release.

Here is the pic: http://s14.postimage.org/outsghvcv/Chopsticks_picture023.png

Obviously he is the exception to the rule. It looks like he has done a ton of PvPing according to his Chronicle. If he had been focusing on PvE for 12 hours/day since launch I'm sure he's be through all the content a long time ago. That is a ridiculously high average for an entire month.

That's pretty crazy. I guess if all you do is PvP, I can see how that is possible, since it's really not a very optimal way to get AP/SP apparently. Still, it doesn't mean that the game has a lot of content. It just shows that he deliberately ignored most of it.

That actually means that he's been grinding (repeating) the same limited content (PvP) over and over again. That definitely doesn't mean the game has a lot of content.

I could do the same in any game and then pretend it has a lot of content... if it wouldn't bore me to death ;)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I'll say it again. Giving you less, and selling it as revolutionary...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    maybe time to stop talking about endgame, and all the other stuff after 500 post here
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Chopsticks

I will accept you apology when you give it.  I will not respond to anything else about TSW. This is about GW2. 

Apology for what? You're obviously exaggerating.  First where does it say days played on that link?

Here is my character a few days before I stopped playing. This is at about 4 days /played. You know the command in the game? For some reason the Chronicle didn't update itself to my most current character level but whatever. You're trying to tell me that at 14 days /played, you only have 50% when I had 37% at 4 days /played?

Either you're doing something wrong, I'm doing something right or you go AFK for hours on end. Or maybe you're just exaggerating. Unless all you do is PvP, then I can sort of see how what you claim is possible.

He linked a picture that showed he has played 17 days 21 hours. Which means that he has played the game ~12 hours per day since release.

Here is the pic: http://s14.postimage.org/outsghvcv/Chopsticks_picture023.png

Obviously he is the exception to the rule. It looks like he has done a ton of PvPing according to his Chronicle. If he had been focusing on PvE for 12 hours/day since launch I'm sure he's be through all the content a long time ago. That is a ridiculously high average for an entire month.

That's pretty crazy. I guess if all you do is PvP, I can see how that is possible, since it's really not a very optimal way to get AP/SP apparently. Still, it doesn't mean that the game has a lot of content. It just shows that he deliberately ignored most of it.

That actually means that he's been grinding (repeating) the same limited content (PvP) over and over again. That definitely doesn't mean the game has a lot of content.

I could do the same in any game and then pretend it has a lot of content... if it wouldn't bore me to death ;)

I know, it's strange. He comes in and says, "where's the endgame?!" and then shows us that he has PvP'd for 12 hours a day since the release of TSW. I mean, PvP is going to be a pretty central part of the endgame for me and many others in GW2. 

And then that other guy can't fathom that some people don't like gear treadmills. Even when given valid reasons he just freaks out and acts like the WoW model is the only acceptable way to enjoy a game at max level. 

At least they are obvious. One forgives every single flaw in TSW like it was "the messiah" :P and the other is absolutely in love with the gear system in WoW. 

• expendable83expendable83 Member Posts: 26

Yea yea, that's the problem, this game is only for the people with different views, and after 1 or 2 months you be the only one left - 100k people with the different views, then because nobody play it this game will die .. nobody cares about your different views. And .. not to mention how the things dosn't scale properly in this game, that a lot of people will be bored to death from those dynamic quests and will start slacking .. at it's base mechanics this game is broken. Whatever, guild wars 2 has no viability. The content is added with years of development but they won't have a chance to add more.