Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    That explains the limited arsenal and overall gameplay structure.
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Nice date you have there.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/15/guild-wars-2-console-version-confirmed/

You fail at trolling. Old article. Old news. Your point?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Old article, old news.

And NCSoft "sources" have a nice habit of saying silly things, like when someone "suggested" to add a subscription fee in Guild Wars 1 because NCSoft was losing money.... (anyone remember this?) so I wouldn't take "NCSoft sources" very seriously

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Originally posted by Leethe

Well I didnt know and Im sure many doesnt know this either.

Did you know it yourself, or are you just trolling over the date of the article?

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225
    If they really want to put GW2 out for consoles they should do it for the new console generation, which will have dx11.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

The actualy reason I posted this is that I didnt knew that they have talked about this.

many has talked about DX 11, and were getting confused about we havent seen DX11 in the actual client yet, This could have explained why - so they could do some lazy port of af DX9 game to a DX9 console.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Most GW2 enthusiasts know this. A "faint confirmation" at best and not at all a commiting reason for not having DX11.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    wOriginally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by Leethe

Well I didnt know and Im sure many doesnt know this either.

Did you know it yourself, or are you just trolling over the date of the article?

Yes I did know, oddly back in February, lol. 

A console version of MMO Guild Wars 2 is "in the preparation stage", NCsoft has said.

Speaking in a financial conference call today, reported by Guild Wars Insider, NCsoft executives confirmed - for the first time - a console version of the exciting fantasy online game.

In response to an analyst question about console versions of its games, NCsoft replied: "When it comes to Guild Wars 2 as we have announced already, we are in the preparation stage."

We've had a listen to the call ourselves and the quote is accurate.

Just to be sure, we checked in with our friendly neighbourhood NCsoft representative, who issued us the following statement:

"Currently ArenaNet is focused on making GW2 the best PC MMO ever released."

"Currently..."

While a console version of Guild Wars 2 now seems certain, a launch alongside the PC version - due out some time this year - seems unlikely.

"Realistically speaking I don't think it would be likely that we will be launching the console version [and the PC version] together," an NCsoft executive said on the call.

The PC version's release date will depend on the results of the large scale beta test, currently scheduled for some time in March or April, NCsoft said. 

What i don't understand is that if you didn't know something, surely you thought "hey, I'll check the date of the article to see if this is old news". That's not what you did though. Odd.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Reason is they use ancient engine from GW1. 

Also explain why game is so CPU dependant.

Getting rough Dx11 support that would not do much (like i.e. in Lotro) apart of few graphical gimmicks would propably mean quite a bit of work.

Getting real Dx11 support with direct compute, real support for multi-threading, etc - would propably require millions of dollars investments and 2+ years of work, with rewriting huge amounts of engine from ground.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Leonona
    If they really want to put GW2 out for consoles they should do it for the new console generation, which will have dx11.

Ah yes and when are they being released again?

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64
    Well this explains a lot of things. Thanks for the link. It's all very clear now.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

I don't see what's stopping them from having a DX11 rendering path. The fact that there's going to be a console version (would be XBox only then?) has nothing to do with that.

This said, if they ever make a console version, I hope it will be on separate servers. The last thing the PC version needs is the servers invaded by the xbox kiddies. But I'm quite confident servers will be different, the client will also need to be seriously dumbed down to fit console controlers since everything now relies on mouse usage. My guess is that the console gameplay will be different and much more simplistic than the PC gameplay, if it ever happens.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

10 skills + 4 class abilities + movement + target selection + misc keys + gamepad = oh please don't

Still, hopefully the console version is alright. Lowly console peasants deserve to eat from the PC master race's table once in a while. I don't think this has anything to do with supporting or not supporting DX11, though.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Why are people so hung up on this? The bottom line is whether the game looks good or not. I don't play games because it has this game engine or that programming code.

Sure there is a correlation of cool new games having the latest software gizmos but good game design and art direction is what makes or breaks games.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Yes, it really isn't a big deal. The Witcher 2 uses DX9 and is the best-looking RPG we've got.
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I don't see what's stopping them from having a DX11 rendering path. The fact that there's going to be a console version (would be XBox only then?) has nothing to do with that.

This said, if they ever make a console version, I hope it will be on separate servers. The last thing the PC version needs is the servers invaded by the xbox kiddies. But I'm quite confident servers will be different, the client will also need to be seriously dumbed down to fit console controlers since everything now relies on mouse usage. My guess is that the console gameplay will be different and much more simplistic than the PC gameplay, if it ever happens.

Why would it have to be dumbed down? There were a ton of people that used xpadder and played WoW with and Xbox 360 controller. There are more than enough inputs to effectively play WoW, so I can't see GW2 being a problem.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    I think the game looks pretty damn good regardless of it being DX9, 11, 18, or 25. When I play an mmo I dont expect crysis level graphics. I just want a semi good looking game. I also do not care if its being planned as a port to console or any crap like that. So long as its fun then who really cares? If you judge a game based off what could be instead of what is then you are silly. A game is either fun for you or it isnt regardless of what "may" happen with it in the future.
  • xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Why would it have to be dumbed down? There were a ton of people that used xpadder and played WoW with and Xbox 360 controller. There are more than enough inputs to effectively play WoW, so I can't see GW2 being a problem.

Whats funny is everyone seems to forget FF10 is on playstation. I wouldnt really call that game "dumbed down". The only thing that really showed in it was the controlls where wierd on PC. Other than that they didnt sacrifice much of anything to make it console friendly.

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45
    dx11 still have lot of bug and problem and that is why till this day there is not dx11  being mainstream ,just for now
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

The UI is still meant for mouse usage, and the gameplay is meant for mouselook too.

And I'd LOVE to meet someone playing WoW with a 360 controller in PvP. I think the only way to be worse would be to be a keyboard turner... even though the keyboard turner at least has enough keys to use all his abilities.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by xenogias

Whats funny is everyone seems to forget FF10 is on playstation. I wouldnt really call that game "dumbed down". The only thing that really showed in it was the controlls where wierd on PC. Other than that they didnt sacrifice much of anything to make it console friendly.

You mean FFXI (11) and the controlls were designed specifically for a console, with the classic Final Fantasy menus etc.

FFXI controlls on a PC (using mouse and keyboard) were atrocious so it's not that they managed to give good controls on both platforms.

Its not impossible though. They managed to give a half-decent gamepad support on TERA and although It wasn't better than keyboard/mouse it proved that it can be done.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Blade and soul is a NCsoft game too?! geeez.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    Originally posted by Leonona

Ah yes and when are they being released again?

Around the time when Arenanet has the capacity to actively pursue a console version of the game.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    Why are people so hung up on this? The bottom line is whether the game looks good or not. I don't play games because it has this game engine or that programming code.

Sure there is a correlation of cool new games having the latest software gizmos but good game design and art direction is what makes or break

Atleast this guy got it right. I would also like to add 'how the game feels', really matters.