Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When GW2 fails, what's next mmo you're going to be irrationally hyped about?

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

I find it very hard to see for GW2 to "fail" considering it's B2P.

Altho i don't roll with the hype train, i'm pretty excited about ArcheAge, seeing that they've been truely open about their game developement (no NDA since closed beta started) and progress, it's looking mighty fine to say the least!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

":Yes, you've played the beta of the game. That's not the full game, though. It's also not long-term experience with the design or formula."

The whole game is the end-game. This means that whatever we were doing in the beta events, is pretty much what we'll be doing throughout the game. GW2 has been quite explicit that there really is nothing significantly different about the game at level 80 than the game at level 1.  You don't start a second "end-game" campaign such as guild-raiding.  sPvP and V8 (WvWvW) are available from the beginning.

So yes, in a very real sense, we have played the full game, and we have tasted the long-term experience, because it's not significantly different from the beginning experience, and that's why we're happy with our decision to play; it's not like ANET is promising dissatisfied beta-players that the game will be different after we get to a higher level, or that they'll "fix" fundamental flaws; they've said that what you see in the Beta events is basically it - that's the game.  That's what the game is, essentially, from head to toe. It's not going to significantly change (core design/features) in higher levels or with future expansions.

It's like we've test-driven a car, love it, and you're saying "you haven't driven it 500 miles yet so you don't know if you're going to enjoy it down the road or not".  While it's possible that I might run into some unforseen issue down the road, you still have to base your decisions on the information avaiable.   Buying a car I enjoy during the test drives, and not a car I didn't really enjoy but which the car company promises will be fixed/changed soon, is a sound decision.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Originally posted by dekou
    Originally posted by DKLond
    Originally posted by dekou

I think that for an online game to be successful, it must get ALL the basic features right. Out of the four games I mentioned, only GW2 does that. TOR has mediocre combat and an awful engine. TERA has horrible quests. TSW has visually boring combat, but Funcom still has a chance to fix it. GW2 doesn't really have any glaring faults I can think of. It could be better in some ways, but all video games could.

The point, which I seem to be losing sight of, is that we've seen GW2's basic features and how they work. Yeah, late-game PvE areas could be garbage, but that's VERY unlikely, given ANet's track record. If anything, their newbie areas tend to be a bit boring. Of course, ANet can screw up. It's possible. Is it likely? Nope.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed or pretend to be disappointed, anyway, but that doesn't mean the game will be a failure.

Ehm, you can't exactly take your own opinion about these games and point them out as "facts about GW2 vs other MMOs". You seem to think all the basic features are great - but not all will share that opinion. I certainly don't.

Yes, I can't and no, I don't. Of course, some people will dislike GW2. Maybe you will. However, the ones who loved the betas are very likely to love the final version and it definitely looks like they're the majority.

Point being: We simply can't know yet. Hype yourself if you must - be at least understand that it's nothing but hype and faith.

We can't know yet? Duh! Of course we can't. You can't know you'll be able to finish reading this sentence before the world explodes. Is your point really something THAT obvious? Also,

Hype:

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion

2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material

3. An advertising or promotional ploy

4. Something deliberately misleading

So, which one of these is "I've played a game and liked it"?

I'm not saying your reaction is hype in itself - I'm saying you're reacting TO hype - if you feel certain.

How? By saying "I played the GAME and liked it" - when, in fact, you've only played the BETA.

Diablo 3 sold 10 million copies recently. That's great - and a lot of people played the beta expecting to absolutely love playing the game.

Yet, if you go visit the forums - or you put your ear to the "grapevine" - you'll find people MASSIVELY disappointed in the LONG TERM aspect of Diablo 3.

You see? You can play a beta or you can play a game for many, many hours - and yet have absolutely NO real idea about how the game will be in the long term. That takes a massive amount of experience and insight into gaming and yourself. Even then, it can be very very tricky to understand how you will respond after dozens or hundreds of hours.

What the beta has demonstrated - assuming everything is of a similar quality - and the launch goes well, and the game doesn't crash and performs well, etc. - is that it's a great SHORT-TERM experience for the people who feel that the beta was great fun.

That much is REASONABLY certain for people like you. But long term? We just don't know.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Is there PvP in Archeage or is it just a mini game like in WoW?

If GW2 should somehow fail, I have no future games in my sight, Games nowadays seems to be of low standard anyway.

GW2 PvP is instanced, if instanced PvP is what you're calling a "mini game."

GW2 can't have open world PvP because it has no factions, it's server vs server vs server, so they must play in a "mini game" setting. Just larger than your average PvP maps (Excluding some of WoW's.)

On topic; After GW2 we have ArcheAge, Planet Side 2 to hype up. Then Titan comes along and blows any hype you've ever seen out of the water, if people are calling GW2 "Jesus 2.0" then Titan will be called "God 2.0."

The hype for Titan will be beyond anything we've ever witnessed.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Omnifish:

"It's not illogical to be cautious, all of your assumptions are based on a fundamental belief in everything Anet says.  Not everyone else has such faith in an ultimately profit making business.

Your entitled to be excited for an upcoming game, but noone is, 'wrong', for being a bit more cautious."

A prefectly fair point IF the OP was actually confining themselves to fence-sitting or encouraging caution. They are not however - they are obfuscating a troll/flame thread in 'reasonable' language.

Note the use of absolute statements, insulting language and self-contradiction. It's all there if you can be bothered to read it.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I don't buy into hype anymore. I used to though. That said, I'm not interested in GW2. Played the beta weekend and it's not for me. The one MMO I am looking forward to is WildStar.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

So, since I'm getting a bit weary of seeing so much pointless overhyping about GW2, and that's making me feel like not playing it at all, I'm going to ask:

What game are you looking forward to getting overhyped after GW2?

Check back with me after I've been playing GW2 for 6 or 7 years and they announce they're in production for GW3. Then you'll have your answer.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Was never irrationally hyped about GW2.

Irrationally hyped... maybe about Titan if they manage to make it sound at least as interesting as WoW back in the days.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

See, you'rereading it wrong, as I thought. The message isn't "You're a fool to think GW2 will be good and GW2 will definitely fail."

The message is "GW2 will succeed, as has Aion, ToR, Diablo 3, etc, but in two months you'll be again burntout and looking for another thing to get overhyped about."

Your thread title : 

When GW2 fails, what's next mmo you're going to be irrationally hyped about?

Hyperbole to grab attention and build some kind of importance to a non-existing argument. Usually it's a trick used by children.

And to that I bring question: What's the point on being a fanboy? Why can't you just be nice instead of acting as some company's barking dog and jumping at the throat of anyone who dares say anything negative about the game that at that moment is target of your neverending devotion?

Once again, you put the world into two categories : good guys and bad guys. Dog or master. Fanboys and critics. Failure or success. This is a very limited way of thinking.

Stop hating the whole world because you fail at being very excited in something.

edit : I saw your post saying you preordered gw2. This is (pathologically ?) nonsensical. As Eir_S said, you must have some difficulties to express yourself correctly, good luck in learning that.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    I'm looking forward to Jesus 2, but after 2,000 + years of hype, I'm beginning to think it vaporware.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

Personally, I do not have trouble with people looking forward to the game. 

I -am- looking forward to GW2 and have preordered it. 

What I find highly distasteful is when some individuals act as a game's self-appointed holy templars that smite down with insults and massive bullying anyone that has an opinion diferent than them.

There's a lot of that going on in GW2, as has been with D3, ToR, and about every other AAA title you can think of.

That's the real sad part of all the "overhyping", since these people think they are protecting their holy ground, and they're just pushing away people that are on the fence with their fanatism.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Yeah I'm curious about this, because it's the same every year. Conan, Warhammer, Aion, ToR, Rift, Diablo 3, etc.

It's like everyone is bored of whatever they're playing and they wish so hard for a new game to end their boredom that they just exercise an irrational hype towards a game that ends up dying out in 1-3 months. Not to say the games per se fail, as they usually have a good number of sales and/or subscriptions, but then suddenly the game wasn't so good and everyone's getting hyped about the next thing.

So, since I'm getting a bit weary of seeing so much pointless overhyping about GW2, and that's making me feel like not playing it at all, I'm going to ask:

What game are you looking forward to getting overhyped after GW2?

If the people overhyping the game are making you feel like not playing it at all I might suggest thinking for yourself or learning how to ignore idiots.

As to your question. I would have to say Planetside 2. I honestly dont see another MMORPG holding my attention the way they used to. That includes GW2. I'm going to play it untill I'm bored with it and then probably be done with MMORPG's and try out some other MMO types. Awesomenauts is a hell of alot of fun. I may just stick with that.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

What I find highly distasteful is when some individuals act as a game's self-appointed holy templars that smite down with insults and massive bullying anyone that has an opinion diferent than them.

There's a lot of that going on in GW2, as has been with D3, ToR, and about every other AAA title you can think of.

That's the real sad part of all the "overhyping", since these people think they are protecting their holy ground, and they're just pushing away people that are on the fence with their fanatism.

Again, no proof, no arguments. Who are these Holy Templars you are talking about? Got any proof to back up what you are posting? I've read this before but it is nowhere to be found, they must be seen only by you I suppose.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I think you simply can't compare gw2 to other mmorpg sub driven games. Maybe to some f2p and even there it's a bit different. Main reason is B2P. gw2 costs you pretty much the same money as normal AAA title these days. If you get enough fun from it as from other AAA title, you win (and I think this is very possible).

Second thing I'd like to mention is, gw2 doesn't seem to be centered around equip hunting and end game raid grind (though I might be wrong here). For me it has very many aspects of casuality and jump-in-anytime gameplay.  Replayability may be quite good because of down scaling etc.

To wrap it up, gw2 may be rather a world where you go for a visit and enjoy being there, while you spend your "real" MMO time in differnt game, getting levels, goodies and other stuff that makes you uber. So there won't be "10 milions subscribers" but people will be happy to come back there.

As for hype, I'm totally in love with End of Nations right now :)

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

"I'm saying GW2 has great short-term PvE and if you're into PvP for the masses (or structured PvP like all the others) - then you will likely enjoy it for a while."

What is "short-term PvE" for some, is long, long-term PvE for others.  Not everyone burns through all available PvE content in a couple of months (or weeks) and, especially with GW2, not everyone is racing to get to level 80. Not everyone plays (or wants to play) MMOGs for the same reasons, and with the same playstyle.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Valua
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Is there PvP in Archeage or is it just a mini game like in WoW?

If GW2 should somehow fail, I have no future games in my sight, Games nowadays seems to be of low standard anyway.

GW2 PvP is instanced, if instanced PvP is what you're calling a "mini game."

stuff like this could be why some see all the hype as irrational in the first place.

some obviously have incorrect assumptions or misinformation about the game.  

at the same time some gw2 folks like me right now have nothing better to do than correct you so the forums pile up with arguments about what stuff is or isn't in the game.

like instances..  and people who use the word instance and define it some crazy way like "on the other side of a loading screen."  

maybe those people with their wild notions think we're being irrational because we are correcting them and disagreeing with what they feel is perfectly reasonable and inarguable?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Just a query:

Is an "overhyping" accusation on the same order of "have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Originally posted by Meleagar

"I'm saying GW2 has great short-term PvE and if you're into PvP for the masses (or structured PvP like all the others) - then you will likely enjoy it for a while."

What is "short-term PvE" for some, is long, long-term PvE for others.  Not everyone burns through all available PvE content in a couple of months (or weeks) and, especially with GW2, not everyone is racing to get to level 80. Not everyone plays (or wants to play) MMOGs for the same reasons, and with the same playstyle.

I don't recall saying everyone did everything in the same way.

I'm saying that a lot of people who EXPECT to play the game in the long-term, whatever that may be for them, MIGHT be surprised in terms of how the game will actually turn out after you've gotten past the honeymoon period.

You.... just.... can't.... know.

Is the basic point.

For the record, I don't think the game will "fail" - and I think the OP title is silly. The only thing that I suspect will fail, is the game's ability to live up to expectations. Almost all games fail to live up to that when they're this hyped - so I have good reason to be sceptical.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

from the holy bible of the gw2hypedist:

"gw2 simply can not fail .... and anyway for our hype  there will be always Archeage as exit strategy if it does"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Reactionary threads like this don't solve the problem.  Anyone can tell you had an agenda: to push GW2's fans' buttons.  You succeeded, but it was obvious what you were doing and people reported you for it.  Are you any more satisfied with the quality of your life now?  Really?

*shrug* Congrats I guess.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    The only thing that I suspect will fail, is the game's ability to live up to expectations. Almost all games fail to live up to that when they're this hyped - so I have good reason to be sceptical.

But that's hardly a new POV here; according to this site, nothing ever can succeed. 

The banal defeatism does get to be a pretty tiring thread to read, however. 

Yeah, we get it, we've heard it before, Doom.

/golfclap

Sorry DK, that's more directed at the atmosphere in general around this website recently, not at you.

Maybe time to just get out of this website for a while, until the next wave of negativity has passed.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70

People have right to look forward to something, even to get excited and hyped about something.

Just so long they do not insult and bully those who have diferent opinions.

At least there were some decent posts in this threads, which I honestly wasn't expecting.

• Anoebis.beAnoebis.be Member Posts: 62

I am sure Guild Wars 2 will "fail" for some... mainly because people have too high expectations. I have been in every beta event and enjoyed the game so much I didn`t want it to end (the Beta). I plan on playing GW2 for at least 2 years, maybe even longer (depends on the amount of content Anet well be able to pump into this game).

If ArenaNet can provide new content on a regular basis, I can see this game flourish for a very long time. In that case, there is not a game in the near future I will get hyped about.

*  Titan... no way in hell am I playing another Blizzard game.

*  Archage... not that great when you strip the GFX off of that game.

*  Blade & Soul... too Asian for me (kinda like Tera).

The only game being worked on that might hype me is World of Darkness...

all the rest is the same old junk.

Just my 2 cents. 

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Going for Planetside 2, personally.  Other than that, nothing else is really on my radar, maybe firefall, for some PvE mmofps.
This discussion has been closed.