Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When GW2 fails, what's next mmo you're going to be irrationally hyped about?

Comments

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Well, I be playing planetside 2 just as much, but I don't think gw2 will die out so fast, and if they add more expansions, I don't see why I would stop playing it ;3!

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

And to that I bring question: What's the point on being a fanboy? Why can't you just be nice instead of acting as some company's barking dog and jumping at the throat of anyone who dares say anything negative about the game that at that moment is target of your neverending devotion?

There you go again, acting self-righteous.  Look at another thread with 50+ replies called After GW2, what are other AAA MMORPGs to look forward to?

Do you see the differences between that thread and yours?  He even criticizes the game, but never does he insult the players nor does he instigate conflict by saying the game absolutely will fail like you did.

Maybe you're not a troll, maybe you just need to learn how to express yourself better.  Good luck.

Again, I am not insulting anyone. If you feel adressed the shame's on you.

Just to note, I am also looking forward to GW2, and have preordered it.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

And to that I bring question: What's the point on being a fanboy? Why can't you just be nice instead of acting as some company's barking dog and jumping at the throat of anyone who dares say anything negative about the game that at that moment is target of your neverending devotion?

There you go again, acting self-righteous.  Look at another thread with 50+ replies called After GW2, what are other AAA MMORPGs to look forward to?

Do you see the differences between that thread and yours?  He even criticizes the game, but never does he insult the players nor does he instigate conflict by saying the game absolutely will fail like you did.

Maybe you're not a troll, maybe you just need to learn how to express yourself better.  Good luck.

Again, I am not insulting anyone. If you feel adressed the shame's on you.

That makes no sense at all.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

GW2 can not fail because its B2P.

There for no shrinking subscriber base.

And I am sure everyone will get enough satisfaction 50$ game can give.

There for it can not fail

As for next hype MMO

Sorry to say the future is bleak

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I'm still waiting an answer to my previous post. I won't repeat myself, go read it and try answering instead of spouting non-sense

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

"What's the point on being a fanboy? Why can't you just be nice instead of acting as some company's barking dog and jumping at the throat of anyone who dares say anything negative about the game that at that moment is target of your neverending devotion?"

You're not convincing anyone.  The longer the thread goes on, the more you insult people, not less.

• coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by Butregenyo

@OP Your trolling attempt is pathetic. People foresaw the fail with most games after trying it. I played Swtor beta i and knew it. I played TERA beta and i knew it.

Hundreds of Thousands of players who played the Beta all had a blast. GW2 is not overhyped. It has actually zero hype. Anet delivered every single aspect to the game they have promised and they succeded at that.

GW2 is the best MMO ever created, period. And you get to play it without letting the Developers milk you like a cow.

PM me your ingame account name when you purchase GW2 so you can apologize to me when you start playing.

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahah

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Originally posted by dekou
    Originally posted by DKLond

Unprecedented beta access? Ehm, no.

How many times have betas been the entire foundation for games being fantastic before release? It's happened with more MMOs than I care to count.

No amount of beta access will reveal how the game works in the long-term.

I was in the SWTOR beta. I disliked its WoW 0.9 combat and thought that pretty cutscenes alone wouldn't be able to carry it, but it'll be a decent game overall. I was right and got flamed a lot.

I was in TERA beta and saw lots of half-naked women.

I was in TSW beta. I disliked its combat and animations, but thought that its story and ambience are fantastic, combat might get better later on and it'll be a good game overall. Looks like I was right.

I was in the GW2 beta. It wasn't perfect, but it was awesome.

So yes, I think GW2 will be very successful. It won't kill WoW, but that's ok. The beta showed us almost every skill in the game and the majority of PvP content. Compare that to something like SWTOR's beta, which wasn't able to show Illum, because that whole planet was a pathetic failure.

I'm not denying that people think they know everything about GW2 based on the betas. But they don't. You haven't seen any of the later zones - and you can't really know how entertaining the formula will be in the LONG TERM. You can have GREAT fun for weeks - without knowing anything about long term sustainability. You've seen design elements and you've seen skills - but you can't know what the actual PvE CONTENT will be like throughout the game. You just assume everything is at the same level throughout the game, but it remains an assumption.

It's the exact same with games like SWtOR - where a LOT of people said they were having tons of fun for months after release. I'm not saying YOU did, but the hype was absolutely massive and it took quite a while before it dawned on people that the game might have AWESOME cutscenes - but still needed more than that.

I'm saying GW2 has great short-term PvE and if you're into PvP for the masses (or structured PvP like all the others) - then you will likely enjoy it for a while. But we have absolutely no way of knowing what this supposedly new formula does for long-term viability. All we can do is guess based on what we think we might enjoy - and my guess is that a lot of people will be disappointed after 3-6 months. But that's because I don't - personally - see the greatness in the game.

Naturally, if you see greatness - then it's only natural to assume it will be a fantastic game, both short-term and long-term - but it's still nothing but guesswork.

I think that for an online game to be successful, it must get ALL the basic features right. Out of the four games I mentioned, only GW2 does that. TOR has mediocre combat and an awful engine. TERA has horrible quests. TSW has visually boring combat, but Funcom still has a chance to fix it. GW2 doesn't really have any glaring faults I can think of. It could be better in some ways, but all video games could.

The point, which I seem to be losing sight of, is that we've seen GW2's basic features and how they work. Yeah, late-game PvE areas could be garbage, but that's VERY unlikely, given ANet's track record. If anything, their newbie areas tend to be a bit boring. Of course, ANet can screw up. It's possible. Is it likely? Nope.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed or pretend to be disappointed, anyway, but that doesn't mean the game will be a failure.

Ehm, you can't exactly take your own opinion about these games and point them out as "facts about GW2 vs other MMOs". You seem to think all the basic features are great - but not all will share that opinion. I certainly don't.

For instance, I actually prefer many of the features of TOR to those of GW2. I think TOR has a MUCH MUCH better PvE story experience. I think TSW has an even better story experience than that.

From what I've seen of the GW2 personal story, it's among the worst of any modern MMO. The writing is worse than WoW, even.

I think the TOR classes are much more appealing to me - and their progression when levelling is a lot more interesting in terms of the abilities you can look forward to throughout - especially through the talent trees. WoW is much better still.

All that is based on my time with the betas, and I spent a lot of time checking out the utility skills of the Thief and Ranger. Most of them were defensive and highly situational in nature. The traits are mostly passive boosts (not all though) - but nothing I saw made me go: I can't WAIT for that cool skill or that cool ability. Some people apparently think it's great that they can unlock the vast majority of the exciting stuff in a few hours. I most certainly don't. I like to have something to look forward to for the entire levelling experience. I don't WANT the best stuff right away - because then I'll just exhaust content and the player horison that much sooner. I don't like the grind - I HATE the grind - but I do love having something to look forward to.

I also happen to hate the small/limited arsenal and weapon switching system. It feels unnatural and overly restricted. As for what's likely or unlikely - that's useless. We've seen a ton of examples of games that were supposedly going to be masterful based on beta content - but because of lack of time/resources/talent and so on, they just didn't deliver. Many of those times, I've been shocked to discover something was missing.

Recently, Diablo 3 absolutely SHOCKED me in terms of the dreadfully stale loot system. Something that took a while to discover - and I played 50-60 hours before fully realising how awful their loot design was. That's from Blizzard - an otherwise highly competent developer.

Point being: We simply can't know yet. Hype yourself if you must - be at least understand that it's nothing but hype and faith.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Probably WOD will be the next thing that makes everyone irrational cream their shorts

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    I see God has spoken.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Point being: We simply can't know yet. Hype yourself if you must - be at least understand that it's nothing but hype and faith.

And you can hate the game if you must, but at least understand that it's nothing but hatred and ignorance.

When we don't know about a game it can certainly go both ways. To each their own I guess

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by Svarcanum
    I'm thinking I'll be irrationably hyped for Archeage next! That game just owns everything! I know this, cause I've seen YouTube videos!

UTUBE HAZ NEVA LIED 2 ME!!!!

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

I don't understand the question. What do you mean by "fail"? Fail to do what?  Fail to be what it has already shown itself to be for three beta weekend events?

It seems to me that you and many others only care if GW2 becomes "the next big thing"; you don't really care about game desgn, features, innovations, core philosophy, etc.  While GW2 might fail to become "the next big thing", it certainly cannot fail to be exactly what I, and many, many others, have been wanting in an MMOG, nor can it fail to live up to reasonable expectations that are based on actually playing the game.

I guess there are people that, even though they enjoy the game structure and features, will not want to play any more if GW2 doesn't become "the next big thing".  Whether or not GW2 has WoW-like success doesn't matter at all to me.

As far as future games are concerned, none of them are as directed towards my playstyle as GW2, perhaps except for ESO, but I don't find ESO interesting because of the dark, serious graphics that run throughout the Elder Scrolls series.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Hey God(op) can you go ahead and cure my grandmothers cancer, I thought GW 2 would do it, since it's like your son Jesus in hype, which is already being misused like 50 times in this thread.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Come on, don't get down to insulting, you only show how immature you are and insult yourself through it.

I've seen some good answers, like Caliburn101's- "What's the next successfull MMO you're going to be irrationally critical about?". Even though he might have not meant it the same way as I, it comes to say the same thing.

Oh I meant it 'that way' - but that is the point isn't it?

The default statement of the OP is to belittle contrary opinions to their own right from the get-go. There is no question or encouragment of debate - just a statement saying effectively;

"You are a fool to think GW2 will be good and GW2 will definately fail...."

Two absolutes there - fans are fools and the game is a fail - all my paraphrase does is to turn that on it's head.

I would just like to see some criticism of what the game IS (as currently observed) rather than what the game is or isn't going to be - with some intelligent reasoning behind it....

To put it in particle physics terms .... I am by nature an 'anti-troll'.... ;)

See, you'rereading it wrong, as I thought. The message isn't "You're a fool to think GW2 will be good and GW2 will definitely fail."

The message is "GW2 will succeed, as has Aion, ToR, Diablo 3, etc, but in two months you'll be again burntout and looking for another thing to get overhyped about."

I read it wrong?

Pure projection - you wrote it wrong if it was supposed to say something different.

I suppose you didn't also mean to imply I am a fanboy with this last statement too? What about my 'neverending devotion'?

Don't pretend to be more reasonable that you actually are - reasonable people don't need to make perjorative statements and dance around the issues with pointed implications. We say what we mean....

.... and we don't need to call other people 'barking dogs' to blow the opposing point of view clean out of the water....

Now - you enjoy typing whatever it is you want to state in response to this - I am sure the thread version of the 'downed state' you are now in allows you to do that - but I am off to cap the next flag and am done with your comments on this thread - too circular and blinkered.

Reason for Edit: Omnifish raised a fair point.

Originally posted by seridan

And you can hate the game if you must, but at least understand that it's nothing but hatred and ignorance.

When we don't know about a game it can certainly go both ways. To each their own I guess

I can't hate anything I have no emotional investment in.

Try thinking in terms other than black and white.

I'm simply pointing out that there's no basis for love OR hate with any kind of certainty.

If I could have my way, the game would be perfect and deliver everything to everyone. Obviously, that can't happen - and so we stick to reality.

As it is, I certainly HOPE people get out of GW2 what they're hoping for, but I've always preferred to let common sense and a tempered reaction be the approach. That way, you don't get bitter and disappointed and THEN start to irrationally hate what you thought would be wonderful.

That's why so many people DESPISE WoW and TOR - because they let themselves be disappointed. Most of the loudest detractors are those who used to be the most aggressive supporters, especially before release.

Why put yourself through that?

If GW2 is really that good - then it will speak for itself, and you can all rest easy just enjoying the game. Try to accept that other people might have other opinions about what it may or may not achieve. It has nothing to do with "hate". It's called different tastes and preferences.

Ehm, you can't exactly take your own opinion about these games and point them out as "facts about GW2 vs other MMOs". You seem to think all the basic features are great - but not all will share that opinion. I certainly don't.

For instance, I actually prefer many of the features of TOR to those of GW2. I think TOR has a MUCH MUCH better PvE story experience. I think TSW has an even better story experience than that.

From what I've seen of the GW2 personal story, it's among the worst of any modern MMO. The writing is worse than WoW, even.

I think the TOR classes are much more appealing to me - and their progression when levelling is a lot more interesting in terms of the abilities you can look forward to throughout - especially through the talent trees. WoW is much better still.

All that is based on my time with the betas, and I spent a lot of time checking out the utility skills of the Thief and Ranger. Most of them were defensive and highly situational in nature. The traits are mostly passive boosts (not all though) - but nothing I saw made me go: I can't WAIT for that cool skill or that cool ability. Some people apparently think it's great that they can unlock the vast majority of the exciting stuff in a few hours. I most certainly don't. I like to have something to look forward to for the entire levelling experience. I don't WANT the best stuff right away - because then I'll just exhaust content and the player horison that much sooner. I don't like the grind - I HATE the grind - but I do love having something to look forward to.

I also happen to hate the small/limited arsenal and weapon switching system. It feels unnatural and overly restricted. As for what's likely or unlikely - that's useless. We've seen a ton of examples of games that were supposedly going to be masterful based on beta content - but because of lack of time/resources/talent and so on, they just didn't deliver. Many of those times, I've been shocked to discover something was missing.

Recently, Diablo 3 absolutely SHOCKED me in terms of the dreadfully stale loot system. Something that took a while to discover - and I played 50-60 hours before fully realising how awful their loot design was. That's from Blizzard - an otherwise highly competent developer.

The problem with the "hype" as all haters keep calling it is, that it isn't hype anymore. We have played it and the reality is that is a very good game.  So no matter how you pick it apart, the entire game is fun and only $60. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Again, I am not insulting anyone. If you feel adressed the shame's on you.

That makes no sense at all.

But it does. If someone stands in the middle of the street and screams "All dumbasses step to the right!" I wouldn't step to the right, nor I'd feel insulted. If I was a dumbass, I'd probably step to the right and think "Damn, I'm a dumbass but I hate people that tell me I am!"

What is this analogy for? It makes less sense than you making no sense.

The problem with the "hype" as all haters keep calling it is, that it isn't hype anymore. We have played it and the reality is that is a very good game.  So no matter how you pick it apart, the entire game is fun and only $60. 

Yes, you've played the beta of the game. That's not the full game, though. It's also not long-term experience with the design or formula.

But if you must tell yourself that, do so. But it'll never be more true because of it.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by k-damage

There we go ... Yet another maniacly depressed guy who can't stand people to feel excitement, and had to create a thread about it.

edit : lol, registered in 2006, but only 14 posts so far, including those here. Such despair, it's sad.

The old alt/ inactive accounts are getting woken up to help create bad feeling towards this title for sure.

I guess there are a lot of worried parties out there who see the excitement and love GW2 is getting and feel the need to counter it with a little negative opinion forming.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Good lord, I'll have become irrationally hyped long before it fails. GW2 is already a distant memory, I'm stoked for GW3 it's got pandas wielding light sabres.

Obvious troll  is obvious. 

Yes, you've played the beta of the game. That's not the full game, though. It's also not long-term experience with the design or formula.

But if you must tell yourself that, do so. But it'll never be more true because of it.

Once again, people are picking apart what I feel and injecting how I should think.  Thousands of others feel the same. If you don't care for the game simply don't play it. The hype has been replaced by reality, and that is it is a very good game. 

Originally posted by Caliburn101

Unprecedented beta access? Ehm, no.

How many times have betas been the entire foundation for games being fantastic before release? It's happened with more MMOs than I care to count.

No amount of beta access will reveal how the game works in the long-term.

I was in the SWTOR beta. I disliked its WoW 0.9 combat and thought that pretty cutscenes alone wouldn't be able to carry it, but it'll be a decent game overall. I was right and got flamed a lot.

I was in TERA beta and saw lots of half-naked women.

I was in TSW beta. I disliked its combat and animations, but thought that its story and ambience are fantastic, combat might get better later on and it'll be a good game overall. Looks like I was right.

I was in the GW2 beta. It wasn't perfect, but it was awesome.

So yes, I think GW2 will be very successful. It won't kill WoW, but that's ok. The beta showed us almost every skill in the game and the majority of PvP content. Compare that to something like SWTOR's beta, which wasn't able to show Illum, because that whole planet was a pathetic failure.

I'm not denying that people think they know everything about GW2 based on the betas. But they don't. You haven't seen any of the later zones - and you can't really know how entertaining the formula will be in the LONG TERM. You can have GREAT fun for weeks - without knowing anything about long term sustainability. You've seen design elements and you've seen skills - but you can't know what the actual PvE CONTENT will be like throughout the game. You just assume everything is at the same level throughout the game, but it remains an assumption.

It's the exact same with games like SWtOR - where a LOT of people said they were having tons of fun for months after release. I'm not saying YOU did, but the hype was absolutely massive and it took quite a while before it dawned on people that the game might have AWESOME cutscenes - but still needed more than that.

I'm saying GW2 has great short-term PvE and if you're into PvP for the masses (or structured PvP like all the others) - then you will likely enjoy it for a while. But we have absolutely no way of knowing what this supposedly new formula does for long-term viability. All we can do is guess based on what we think we might enjoy - and my guess is that a lot of people will be disappointed after 3-6 months. But that's because I don't - personally - see the greatness in the game.

Naturally, if you see greatness - then it's only natural to assume it will be a fantastic game, both short-term and long-term - but it's still nothing but guesswork.

Nothing like confining yourself to a carefuly selected set of facts to illustrate your point.....

You 'forget' the huge amount of time taken to build the game; the early-stated design philosophy; the quality and consistency of what has been said would be in-game and what has been proven to be in-game.

Your naysaying is based on an assumptions which ignore these relevant issues - that the 'endgame' and other regions in the gameworld aren't geing to be as good as the areas already shown. You are assuming that the areas they have shown us are the ONLY ones in which they have spent time, exercised their design philosophy and where any consistency exists.

This is an illogical point of view based on the evidence to date - never mind extrapolating the likely quality of the content based on ANet's reputation, their massive lead-time, the flexibility of their development-finance model and the many times they have said - 'it will be ready when it's ready'....

On the contrary, many other recent MMO's have promised much, shown little, been rushed out, had mimimal betas or betas in which significant concerns were not addressed.

Not one of these things are true of GW2.

You are not seeing the wood for the trees....

None of what's, 'promised', is relevent here.

He isn't wrong at all, all he's doing is making assumptions based on what he's seen and making points on if long term this sort of content will lead to consistent enjoyment.  A fair point wouldn't you say?

It really isn't relevent how much time it took to make, or what their manifesto says, the proofs in the pudding and you haven't seen the whole pudding yet.  It's not illogical to be cautious, all of your assumptions are based on a fundamental belief in everything Anet says.  Not everyone else has such faith in an ultimately profit making business.

Your entitled to be excited for an upcoming game, but noone is, 'wrong', for being a bit more cautious.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Hype is subjective. I don't know if people are irrationally hyped in general about this game, but I am hyped for the features I have playtested to build a permanent playground to my video game sessions eventually. Of course it is not perfect, but GW2 is a force to be reckoned with.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I think that for an online game to be successful, it must get ALL the basic features right. Out of the four games I mentioned, only GW2 does that. TOR has mediocre combat and an awful engine. TERA has horrible quests. TSW has visually boring combat, but Funcom still has a chance to fix it. GW2 doesn't really have any glaring faults I can think of. It could be better in some ways, but all video games could.

The point, which I seem to be losing sight of, is that we've seen GW2's basic features and how they work. Yeah, late-game PvE areas could be garbage, but that's VERY unlikely, given ANet's track record. If anything, their newbie areas tend to be a bit boring. Of course, ANet can screw up. It's possible. Is it likely? Nope.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed or pretend to be disappointed, anyway, but that doesn't mean the game will be a failure.

Yes, I can't and no, I don't. Of course, some people will dislike GW2. Maybe you will. However, the ones who loved the betas are very likely to love the final version and it definitely looks like they're the majority.

We can't know yet? Duh! Of course we can't. You can't know you'll be able to finish reading this sentence before the world explodes. Is your point really something THAT obvious? Also,

Hype:

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion

2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material

3. An advertising or promotional ploy

4. Something deliberately misleading

So, which one of these is "I've played a game and liked it"?

This discussion has been closed.