Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forge: First Game Play Video Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dark Vale Games has released the first-ever game play video from its upcoming title, Forge. According to the team, Forge embraces the fast action of an FPS combined with elements of MMO PvP.

Find out more about Forge.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Reminds me of the Fury PvP MMO http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/08/05/fury-mmo-shuts-down/ a game that tanked like no other I might add.
  • TadzioTadzio Member UncommonPosts: 103

Circlestrafing and hard cc?

Well, good luck anyway.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Looks great! Hopefully they can follow through with a release.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Looks like a decent battle arena game.  Really enjoyed their music choice.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by expresso
    Reminds me of the Fury PvP MMO http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/08/05/fury-mmo-shuts-down/ a game that tanked like no other I might add.

I actually liked that game. Granted it needed a lot of work.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Looks fun. Not a serious game to play though.
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I was interested before they opened up pre-purchases last month... Red flags when the games this early in development
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

thanks again Suzie.

looks interesting, although i would say that shadow stealth, shadow jump, shadow leap, shadow shadow, isn't exactly what i'm hoping a battle arena game is all about.

albeit, this is an alpha vid.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Most battlegrounds look better.  Granted it is alpha, but I suggest they go back to the drawing board with this game.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by expresso

Ahh crap that was the exact game I was trying to compare it too the other day when I made a post about it.  You are so right though, it is Fury reincarnated.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    I really liked Fury, they just never managed to fix any of the major issues before it was too late. I've backed these guys on Kickstarter already, hope they can do it.
  • rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Preacher26
    I was interested before they opened up pre-purchases last month... Red flags when the games this early in development

Do you mean the kickstarter program? Kickstarter isn't a pre sale in general terms. They are asking for the funds needed to push the game to release, instead of bringing in another outside investor. Only if the project is fully funded will anyone be charged for their backing. 

• coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64

Looks about 100 times better than the structured pvp from GW2. As a person who loves tactical group PvP like that of WoW arenas and any structured group pvp fps or otherwise, this is gold. 

taken from reddit: How is it different from Guild Wars 2? Well, it blends elements from Guild Wars 2 and FPS games such as Counter-Strike. You have to aim like in a FPS to hit. You can't simply tab target spam abilities as you please. It's very fast paced like Quake as well. There are also classes like Healers and Tanks. Neither which are present in GW2.

How is it different from TERA? Well, when you use abilities you don't get rooted in place. The pacing is completely different and the skill level therefore is far higher in this game. I have played TERA since early Korean release and I would say even with FPS aiming, World of Warcraft arena required far higher skill just because the pacing was far better in that game. TERAs combat was slow paced to the point that it removed anything good that the FPS aiming was supposed to bring and they dumbed down the game too much with lock-ons and what not. Not to mention the complete lack of balance and the fact that there was no PvP content whatsoever. Oh and no grind required like there was in TERA.

I'd say it's a combination of World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Counter-Strike and Quake. It's combat is smooth and very fluid like that of World of Warcraft, which Guild Wars 2 is missing. GW2 is extremely clunky and the running animations are all over the place. It's got the instant jump-in-to-action PvP with no gear grind required that Guild Wars 2 has. It's got precise and accurate aiming like Counter-Strike and fast paced jumping and shooting that Quake has. It naturally also brings a very team oriented and TACTICAL feel that both WoW arenas and GW2 Spvp has.

Overall, this is a PvP game which is a bit niche, but still different enough and polished enough to have a reason for my support. I would rather play this than GW2. Naturally I've already ordered GW2, but you get my point. I'm strickly about structured small scale tactical PvP. This game fits that category.

Originally posted by rtbbvr
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Do you mean the kickstarter program? Kickstarter isn't a pre sale in general terms. They are asking for the funds needed to push the game to release, instead of bringing in another outside investor. Only if the project is fully funded will anyone be charged for their backing. 

Plus the facts are the game is being released this year. Kickstarter ends september and the funds are not to start the project, but to finish it.

for the people wondering, no, there is no PvE whatsoever. this is strictly a tactical group PvP game. balanced around 5v5 and up. healer, tank-ish class and dps roles. it also only costs 15$ to buy the game. there'll be free dlc and buyable dlc's in the future if they're big enough.

More gameplay: http://www.twitch.tv/reckful/b/327072949

Reckful (known wow player) streams alpha gameplay for hours. mind you that most sound effects are not in atm.

great interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRWZ_mD1AQE

Devs: More playable classes are on the way after launch. The Ravager and Tinker are next in line. 

Devs: More gameplay vids coming. This time on Forest Ambush map. (can be seen on the kickstarter page)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    looks like there's some serious autotargeting going on with a bow...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Looks fun to me
  • VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    Way toooo twitch based for my liking.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    While I enjoy twitch games, I can't imagine paying for a game that is just arena PvP.
  • JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I played fury so I'm interested
    Originally posted by newbinator
    While I enjoy twitch games, I can't imagine paying for a game that is just arena PvP.

Definitely not for everyone. Mostly aimed at people that enjoy counter-strike-like games. Jump in and play for 15 minutes or hours. 15$ isn't exactly expensive for the quality of gameplay and art/graphics they're releasing.

NEW VIDEO!

Forge - Preview of Forest Ambush Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKYFo9Arrv0

Back them at their kickstarter page!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166522941/forge

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Originally posted by coretester

Forge - Preview of Forest Ambush Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKYFo9Arrv0

I lost a good portion of the interest I had in this game when I saw that Blinding Arrow projectile turn in mid-flight. I hope that either a) I'm seeing things that aren't actually there or b) that they get rid of that if what I saw was real. I can't see homing projectiles adding anything rewarding to this game at all.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Tadzio

Circlestrafing and hard cc?

Well, good luck anyway.

He circlestrafed cause he do more damage from behind.