Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy trinity + dungeons + raids

7star7star Member Posts: 405

The same formula we came to know and ... well, depends on you.

This video lays it out: 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/28/wildstars-group-combat-looks-sort-of-familiar/#comment-1024410

Looks like WoW in space to me. When the dev says holy trinity/dungeons/raids, I lost all interest in this one.

Why would you leave WoW or any other H3-gear grinder for this?

Comments

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Standard MMORPG features in a MMORPG? That's just stupid!

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by 7star

This video lays it out: 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/28/wildstars-group-combat-looks-sort-of-familiar/#comment-1024410

Looks like WoW in space to me. When the dev says holy trinity/dungeons/raids, I lost all interest in this one.

YUCK!!!! another wow clone!!!

staying with GW2 only for me.... i guess i will have more time for myself for now as i am not playing anything currently cause everything sucks.... (sorry for the language)

Just my 2 cents...

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I had a bad feeling about this game from the start.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

It could turn out to be WoW 2.0... in space, which is I think what they are going for in terms of some mechanics, while trying to innovate away from that model in others. I am open, nothing wrong with WoW* just bad WoW clones, and this is made my former WoW devs, so it will feel like a continuation even if they are trying to be different, but we need much more info, and some alpha keys.

*except tedious rotation and tab target mechanics, messy UI, gear grind at endgame, bad community features, Chuck Norris, etc.

• bladedancerbladedancer Member UncommonPosts: 40

Hmm that is a bit of a shame, I've played WoW and the like, and am not keen to return to that sort of game, it will be Guild Wars 2 for me, but I was interested in at least trying Wildstar out, not sure now tbh.

Peter Griffin: you know those germans, if you dont join the party, they?ll come get ya

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Variation people !!

I'am in love with GW2 for good reasons, but by all means, i want choise. And this could just turn out to be my MMO of choise after GW2 :)

Afters 2 years of 'no' trinity after GW2 i think i'll once again fall in love with the holy trinity as tank =)

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

This video lays it out: 

ya this one just flew off my radar.

i may check it out if they do a public beta or free trial at some point just to see how generic their trinity really is but doesn't sound like my sort of game.

cheers to all who like this stuff though!  it looks to be a cool game even if not my sorta thing!

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Tazlor

Standard MMORPG features in a MMORPG? That's just stupid!

This.

"omg my MMO has raids, and dungeons and whats this, heales and tanks!  NO WAY this is the "new" generation, we are doing away with everything that even hints at an MMO"

get real people, GW2's PvEis not some magic formula either.  There solution to no healers or tanks...let just give EVERYONE heals...ya that solved that problem.

While i give them credit for there unique style, some people actually like having the tried and true formula.  Even hardcore players that don't play WoW.

Will wildstar suck? maybe but it will not be because they have trinity, raids and dungeons. It will because they do not bring any other unique and fun ideas to back them up.  SO how about people don't go all hispter and think its the cool thing to automatically bash a game that has barely had any information realeased on it just because they mentioned the staples of MMORPG's.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Though not excited about more holy trinity and more raids, I'm willing to give Wildstar a chance as it does bring a good package of features besides that (somewhat dynamic combat, apparently cool questing, paths, housing). We'll see, I guess!
  • helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Is this the new direction of mmorpg.com? Every game that has holy trinity and raids is instantly bombarded by the GW2 legions?

Game looks fairly nice if nothing else. The combat animations look so much better than anything I've seen in GW2. However, like any game - I'll reserve my comment till I play it.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Who cares ?

If the game is fun, I'll play it. I'm not allergic to "trinity, raids and dungeons" in MMO's. What I'm allergic to in MMO's is medieval fantasy settings and barebones gameplay (i.e. all combat and gear grind). At least Wildstar will have housing, so the devs are clearly looking at including features that are not all combat-centric.

Wildstar remains on my anticipated games list, right behind Planetside 2 (yes, I have diverse tastes :)

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

This game made from ex-WoW devs if im not wrong but cant find any names at wikipedia..

any1 can confirm this with a link?

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by helthros
    Is this the new direction of mmorpg.com? Every game that has holy trinity and raids is instantly bombarded by the GW2 legions? Game looks fairly nice if nothing else. The combat animations look so much better than anything I've seen in GW2. However, like any game - I'll reserve my comment till I play it.

no its the same formula it's always been. everyone jumps on the shiny new bandwagon and throws poop at anything that isn't part of said bandwagon. they usually go away after a while. of course gw2 could actually stick around longer than anything released in the past few years but that is yet to be seen.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I didn't see or hear the raids part. If that's in the game though I will pass it over. I'm done with raiding. WoW was the last game I played with the raiding feature and I just can't see myself ever playing a game like that again.

Wildstar looked very interesting until I hear the talk of raiding, too bad, I really like housing in a game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    This game looking interesting  , I am ok with trinity/ dungeons  and others normal stuff for an mmorpg
    Originally posted by Tayah

I didn't see or hear the raids part. If that's in the game though I will pass it over. I'm done with raiding. WoW was the last game I played with the raiding feature and I just can't see myself ever playing a game like that again.

Wildstar looked very interesting until I hear the talk of raiding, too bad, I really like housing in a game.

I understand about raiding, though they've said that they are putting other content such as solo player stuff for end-gamers on a regular basis. I find its more than possible to avoid raiding in an mmo with other things to do.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468
    Looking for healer.... No thanks. Been there done that: boring. Still, the graphics are very appealing to me.
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Raiding is OK as long as it's one of the many "endgame" forms. If all you have in terms of long-term gameplay is limited to raids and PVP (and daily quests, argh), that's where it gets suffocating.

Me, I like the trinity in RPGs. To me it's either that or straight out FPS combat. Haven't found a "third way" I like yet.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    [mod edit]

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

I fail to see the need for a GW2 VS Wildstar deathmatch, they are both going to be good mmos, and I see Carbine as a cousin developer to Arenanet, both being founded by former Blizz devs, and there are some parallel ideas with these two games, (such as having raid bosses spread out through the leveling process) and see no reason not to play both.
  • AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

This video lays it out: 

You had me at holy trinity+dungeons+ raids

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

I'm a GW2 fanboi and I am looking foward to this.  They are doing a different twist in combat with the postional stuff that could be intresting.

As for the trinity... well not overly trilled over it maybe they can make it a lot of fun though.  What glaring defect I do see is the so far highly higly limited classes.  So a fighter... a vesper... and a gunslinger.... so limitied it's ridiculous unless it's like Rift where you had a whole slew of souls to chose from but don't have that impression.  In AoC they had that if your could tank you were a tank, if a healer then you were a healer no ifs and or buts that made having dps trees completely pointless.  I fear that could result in Wildstar if they don't drastically allow custimizations or variances.  I hope it's not:

player 1: "Okay fighter you tank"

fighter:  "but I dont have tank gear nor spec"

player 1:  "Noob... fighters are nothing but tanks, go reroll" /kicks fighter

Raids?  Well in a different interview/vid/talk that mention that crafting will play an integral part in gearing up.  I just hope that they don't follow the raid or die philosophy or that all the best gear is obtained through raiding that people farm till their eyes bleed.  I do see raids as a valid form of end game but MMOs so far have always become too overly focused on em without providing other valid forms of PvE content.

• munkenmunken Member CommonPosts: 5

For me, the holy trinity is a must for raiding, and raiding is a must for mmorpg.

It is massively multiplayer online role playing game we are talking about here, not massivlely singleplayer online game, that everyone want's now a day's. That's what's killing the fun for me, running around not talking, not helping each other, just doing your own thing, it has kept me from playing these games for a very long time.

Now WS is coming, and it (from what little we have heard.) really seem to be putting some effort in to the social aspekt.

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by munken

For me, the holy trinity is a must for raiding, and raiding is a must for mmorpg.

It is massively multiplayer online role playing game we are talking about here, not massivlely singleplayer online game, that everyone want's now a day's. That's what's killing the fun for me, running around not talking, not helping each other, just doing your own thing, it has kept me from playing these games for a very long time.

Now WS is coming, and it (from what little we have heard.) really seem to be putting some effort in to the social aspekt.

Agreed.

I think this game will be a good meld between WoW and GW2 mechanics. I'm hopeful it will be the best of both. 

I think the trinity is a must. I also like some of the things GW2 is doing with combat; however, the lack of trinity in that game makes combat so shallow, imo. So, movement/dodging is good, reliance on others (to do more than rez you) is good, having roles so encounters can be more interesting, good. 

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    You guys do realize that the dev team making this game was the original dev team for WoW...?  Right?  Expectations are pretty limited here.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

This discussion has been closed.