Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After GW2, what are other AAA MMORPGs to look forward to?

I'll be frank: I have no interest in GW2. And it's not because I think it's a bad game (I don't), but simply because I'm tired of the 'fantasy blended with half-hearted steampunk' setting. I wouldn't mind all-out steampunk, but I have no interest in playing anything with a high-fantasy-influenced setting any longer.

In a broader sense, though, I simply want to know what's 'big' that's in the works for the next year or so. Heading in 2012, I pretty much knew what was coming -- TOR, TSW, GW2, Tera, etc. Now, I'm lost. Aside from Titan (which is, let's face it, years away), what else is in the pipe? I know Archeage is kind of a vague 'coming soon,' and while I'm excited about the idea of a new sandbox MMO, it's hard to give any weight to a Korean MMO -- every one I've tried has been a dud.

So, please: enlighten me. What's coming soon that's big? And, hell, include the fantasy ones -- I just want some idea of what the market for the next 18-24 months looks like.

*Edit*

PS: even if they aren't AAA efforts, anyone know of some full-blown sandboxes or steampunk-themed titles that are coming soon?

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    PS2 and as you mentioned Archeage. Those are the only other two games besides GW2 that Im looking foward to.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I have not been keeping up to date but:

There's Wildstar, a sci fi MMO, it has Pixar esque graphics and a whimsical sense of humor. Not sure what its current state is like.

Then theres ArcheAge, some type of fantasy sandbox; haven't really been paying much attention.

I honestly can't think of anything else at the moment.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Looking forward to blade and soul myself. Also arche age as mentioned.
  • LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    not too much out there but there are some potentially good games.  Repopulation, Lineage Eternal, Wildstar, Teso,  Marvel heroes/universe and War Z.  
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Still fantasy but maybe darkfall 2.0?  But you never know when this will come out!
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Wildstar

Undead Labs Class 4 mmo

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I fully plan on looking into Nevewinter and TESO.  Those are the only 2 on my radar.

edit: Maybe World Z as well.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123
    Wow, I'm shocked at the dearth of titles. I'm so accustomed to being bombarded with these big 'coming soons.'
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Humphrie
    Wow, I'm shocked at the dearth of titles. I'm so accustomed to being bombarded with these big 'coming soons.'

Really? Thats over ten games right there. I forgot about half those games when I chimed in. lol... 

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130

Click on the game list and go way down to "The Elder Scrolls Online".   Read up then click links and go to the official site.

Now... THERE is something to look forward to :)

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

Well for me I am excited about GW2, but there are a few on my radar even though not sure how close they are.

EQNext

Archeage

Neverwinter

TESO (though not sure yet)

And Grim Dawn (even though it isn't a mmo, I LOVED Titan Quest)

Marvel Heroes (FTP yes and more of a Diablo Style)

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

I confess, really none of that looks very good. Hell, TESO appears to be a fullblown WoW clone, to the degree that people on those forums rage about little else. Now I feel even worse that the combat of TSW was so bad (especially since AoC did it so well 4 years ago). Why does this genre seem to do nothing but regress?
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I wouldn't play Phantasy Sar Online 2. It's not as good as people think. I know because I played in the Japanese server for a while and I thought the graphics were icky. Also it's all instanced (obviously) and sort of loses it's charm pretty fast.

Smile

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I confess, really none of that looks very good. Hell, TESO appears to be a fullblown WoW clone, to the degree that people on those forums rage about little else. Now I feel even worse that the combat of TSW was so bad (especially since AoC did it so well 4 years ago). Why does this genre seem to do nothing but regress?

GW2 and TESO are pretty much using the same mechanics as each other so I fail to see how one is a WoW clone but the other isnt... ?

Anyway for me its ArcheAge , TESO and EQNext or at least some info about it.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

As I see it nothing really close.

Arch Age has with all due respect a lot of questionmarks looming over it, Elder Scrolls Online is far away. We haven't seen anything of Neverwinter anymore, so it looks far away too. And so far I just don't see Wildstar as AAA candidate. So it looks like after GW2 there won't launch any AAA aspirant for a year or so, which maybe isn't such a bad thing. Too much competition already.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    World of Darkness is the only thing that has captured my interest so far other than GW2

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30
    Wildstar is shaping up to be a great game,you should check it out.
  • zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

I don't think the genre has regressed, we just have nobody coming up with a 100% original game.  It's like a friend of mine said he'd love to see this in a game.

Armor drops and it automatically fits every race, but it would be cool if the drop had to be taken to a tailor and be sized.  So no instant armor.

It's the little things in a game that add up.  I'll admit I have played ALOT of MMOs, and very few have kept my attention for too long.  They are always gonna lack in one respect or another, some people will like one where another may not.

Yes games are cloned from other games, but at times it is done even better than what it was.  WoW wasn't 100% original, they took little things from other games and improved upon it.  I enjoyed WoW for what it was and then I was done with it, I will play GW2 until my fun is over and I will move on. 

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    There's Mechwarrior Online, read in some threads that they are afraid that it'll go the WoT route in regards to cash shop.  Certainly a change of pace from the fantasy setting.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I'll be frank: I have no interest in GW2. And it's not because I think it's a bad game (I don't), but simply because I'm tired of the 'fantasy blended with half-hearted steampunk' setting. I wouldn't mind all-out steampunk, but I have no interest in playing anything with a high-fantasy-influenced setting any longer.

In a broader sense, though, I simply want to know what's 'big' that's in the works for the next year or so. Heading in 2012, I pretty much knew what was coming -- TOR, TSW, GW2, Tera, etc. Now, I'm lost. Aside from Titan (which is, let's face it, years away), what else is in the pipe? I know Archeage is kind of a vague 'coming soon,' and while I'm excited about the idea of a new sandbox MMO, it's hard to give any weight to a Korean MMO -- every one I've tried has been a dud.

So, please: enlighten me. What's coming soon that's big? And, hell, include the fantasy ones -- I just want some idea of what the market for the next 18-24 months looks like.

PS: even if they aren't AAA efforts, anyone know of some full-blown sandboxes or steampunk-themed titles that are coming soon?

I think the biggest none fantasy game game that will release relatively soon will be Undead labs "Class 4". It is a zombie apocalypse MMO by Jeff Strain, the guy who was lead designer on Diablo, Warcraft 3, Guildwars 1 and 2 (the first half of the development). They have a rather impressive staff and Microsoft is paying the bills so the budget is fine enough as well. It will be nothing like any other MMO though.

Besides that I think I would keep my eyes out for CCPs "World of darkness online", a gothic horror sandbox. The problem with it is that CCP constantly steals staff from it for work on Eve and Dust so I am not sure when it will be released but what they introducedat Eves fan fair seemed promising.

Planetside 2, a space MMO FPS might also be worth a look.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    The Repopulation, and as already mentioned, Planetside 2

Originally posted by Loke666

I think the biggest none fantasy game game that will release relatively soon will be Undead labs "Class 4". It is a zombie apocalypse MMO by Jeff Strain, the guy who was lead designer on Diablo, Warcraft 3, Guildwars 1 and 2 (the first half of the development). They have a rather impressive staff and Microsoft is paying the bills so the budget is fine enough as well. It will be nothing like any other MMO though.

Besides that I think I would keep my eyes out for CCPs "World of darkness online", a gothic horror sandbox. The problem with it is that CCP constantly steals staff from it for work on Eve and Dust so I am not sure when it will be released but what they introducedat Eves fan fair seemed promising.

Planetside 2, a space MMO FPS might also be worth a look.

First, thanks... and that goes to everyone who replied.

Second, does Undead Labs have an entry on this website? If so, I'm not seeing it.

*Edit* Wow, WoD looks very, very cool. Pity the resources are being funneled elsewhere. I've personally thought for years that Dust looked like an epic flop in the making. Here's hoping its pending failure doesn't kill WoD in the process.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Laross
    http://www.playhawken.com/

This!  Plus I'm wondering what Archeage will do for the genre.  When I first heard about it, it seemed exciting, but watching gameplay of it, I'm not sure.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

When it comes to “AAA” titles, defined here as meaning big budget “and” big names then you only have The Elder Scrolls Online coming soon. I am still waiting on the reveal from Blizzard regarding Titan. World of Darkness from CCP seems to be creeping along. EQNext is farther off.

Origins of Malu and The Repopulation are two noteworthy upcoming sandbox games from smaller indie teams. Wildstar seems to be a well produced MMORPG worth keeping an eye on that might bring something new to market with some sand and theme in the box. There are a couple of games from Asia showing promise (being Archeage and Blade and Soul) but I am not sure if they will make it to market over here anytime soon.