Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone like this game anymore?

Well im actually really liking this game.

but everywhere i read ppl are just dissing and putting the game down.

so does anyone like this game anymore?

Comments

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

There is some "fun" to be had in this game still but there are many problems. Lack of critical mass playerbase, level 80 gameplay is too grindy, and the pvp still not having much meaning all are just keeping and have kept aoc from succeeding.

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

I played at launch and then quit not too long after. I went back not too long ago and started a new demo and leveled to 80 and I had a lot of fun and I forgot how cool some of the zones were.  (Oh and I love the soundtrack)  But then after I was 80 I just sort of hit this wall. I joined a guild and tried to do some of the endgame stuff but it all just felt extremely grindy and do this to get better gear so you can then be more powerful to go and get even better gear.  Nah, I'm done with that kind of gaming.  I don't want things just handed to me but repeating quests over and over to get tokens and bla bla bla just isn't fun ever.

I did honestly think of playing again recently just to level up a new toon though.

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

I love the mechanics of this game to death, but I don't like that a 5 man group can complete stuff and get better loot than the 20 man raids. If they came out with new dungeons that are even harder than the 5 mans with better loot, I'd be there. Although, it's been a couple years since I played... maybe they added it?

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• esty17esty17 Member UncommonPosts: 27

AOC is still fun for me. The game has its issues, no denying, but things I like such as the combat system make me want to keep playing it.  Hell, the other day I played around on a lowbie barb just having fun getting fatalities in Tortage. I find many of the people who bash the game are either veterans that are frustrated the game never went in the direction they were hoping (mostly PVPers, mostly legitimate complaints) or people who haven't played since the first month (or never did, but still spout the same crap they heard somewhere else - game is incomplete past Tortage etc).  Anyway, a population boost would be nice, some catering to PVP would help, but regardless I think I will stay in some capacity until the lights go out.

Cheers

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Imo, the end-game is nowhere near as grindy as some people try to portray it. The thing is there are 12 factions from which you choose 6. Each faction has about 20-25 fairly unique quests you can repeat to gain reputation with them, some of them has random elements so are always slightly different. Or you can skip it, and do the dungeons, I can't see how is this any more grindy than any other themepark game out there.

REALITY CHECK

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I had great fun in Tortage, but it went downhill from there.  I guess I got bored or wasn't finding content that interested me.

One side note, I had a terrible time on my dev machine with crashes.  My laptop plays it perfectly.  The crashing got annoying and even pouring through support I couldn't find a fix.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

i played for a long time before it went free to play was a good game but all the hackers and the unballencing of classes pisse dme off and when they made my ninja rainger even more gimp i was fuck this game and quit never to return but i had years of fun and fell in love with a girl on this game

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

I still play, and I plan on keeping it up for some time. Guild is growing with just calm mature people, so were having a nice time.

And yes, I still like it :)

• watumbawatumba Member Posts: 6

I love the game. Fantastic graphics and a superb combatsystem that beats any other mmo by a mile. And yes, it is better than GW2, whose beta shows, it will just suck up to those players who prefer not to think, but who like just to hop around while being brainafk :)

I don't plan on stopping to play AoC anytime soon and I'm gleefully waiting for the new adventure pack and the crafting revamp.

Those people who diss the game are just people who purchased their computer on some fleamarket and now complain, because a highend game won't run on it, or people who are just goddam lazy and prefer games like swtor or the upcoming gw2 that even a monkey without a brain can easily play.

• rav500rav500 Member Posts: 46

Played it a long time ago. Going to pick it up after I feel I'm done with TSW

• ElphyiElphyi Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by watumba

I love the game. Fantastic graphics and a superb combatsystem that beats any other mmo by a mile. And yes, it is better than GW2, whose beta shows, it will just suck up to those players who prefer not to think, but who like just to hop around while being brainafk :)

I don't plan on stopping to play AoC anytime soon and I'm gleefully waiting for the new adventure pack and the crafting revamp.

Those people who diss the game are just people who purchased their computer on some fleamarket and now complain, because a highend game won't run on it, or people who are just goddam lazy and prefer games like swtor or the upcoming gw2 that even a monkey without a brain can easily play.

I agree with you on some fronts on this one, i love AoC even bought the premium and gonna purchase the expansion pack to. see myself playing AoC for awhile now.   but i played gw2 betas and found it is "traditional in some ways" but for a Hotkey mashing game, i found it does put in some challenge compared to SWTOR, WoW etc.   I will also be playin gw2 to but i see myself spending most my time on AoC as ivve found the community is actually quite nice also.  on the GW2 betas ive found the community wasnt that great "everyone was just focused on lvlin and crud rather then having fun".  i havent really seen that on AoC.

Side Note: if anyone plays on SET   msg me on Oshiyii  :) i always love makin new friends.

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

I love AoC...i played 3 years and i'm out since one years....my fav mmo maybe > SWG pre-cu...but this game need more pop...this is sad

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Elphyi
    Originally posted by watumba

I agree with you on some fronts on this one, i love AoC even bought the premium and gonna purchase the expansion pack to. see myself playing AoC for awhile now.   but i played gw2 betas and found it is "traditional in some ways" but for a Hotkey mashing game, i found it does put in some challenge compared to SWTOR, WoW etc.   I will also be playin gw2 to but i see myself spending most my time on AoC as ivve found the community is actually quite nice also.  on the GW2 betas ive found the community wasnt that great "everyone was just focused on lvlin and crud rather then having fun".  i havent really seen that on AoC.

Side Note: if anyone plays on SET   msg me on Oshiyii  :) i always love makin new friends.

AoC is a fine game for the most part, really only suffering from the lack of players. It's too bad that Funcom screwed up so bad with it that it just starting bleeding players on a regular basis. The community on the server that I played on was nice and as typical for low population games, everyone tended to be quite helpful.

Gameplay wise, GW2 combat is still superior even though I would definately put AoC over most. The difference lies in two main factors. 1) AoC attacks all roll for hit from the point that the combo is initiated. If you attack with a combo (really noticable with barb) and the opponent runs away while you're still progressing through the animation, every attack in the combo hits.  The other is that though melee classes had a good improvement in combat mechanics, the spellcasters have no improvment over the standard system.

I think that GW2 is a better game then AoC, but as a person that leveled a barb, necro, pom, conq, ToS to 80 and geared, enjoy your time with it because it is a good game.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Yo that's me! I have always been a big fan of AoC. I don't log on much lately because I have played through most of the content, or all the content I care to play through. I am not big into PvP or raiding so I mostly grouped or played solo. I was in and out of guilds though. 

Just judging the game on the merits of  being a Conan RPG it is fantastic. Maybe as an MMO it had more flaws, but I didn't let that get in the way of my enjoyment! I was totally taken in with the beautiful settings, exhilarating combat, and adventuring through Hyboria with a sword on my back and a fine horse under me. I thought the game was a blast to play and was sorry to have played it out. 

I started playing just after the Godslayer expansion was released and on through the FtP conversion. The game was always light on population. Except for the month or two after the game went FtP, then it was really hopping with players. But soon it settled back to the regular numbers it seems to keep. AoC keeps a core fan base playing and enjoying the game that is large enough to keep the game afloat. I hope it sticks around for a while because I would like to return to the game after some additional content is put out for it.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Its a good game in my opinion. And if the company showed any love for the game after the launch i would probaly still be playing at this time since beta.

But they didnt. and the only thing good about this game if you are a quester  is still just Tortage, ofcourse they have other nice features and a great combat system but when a company pretends that bugs,glitches arent there and they still arent fixing it months later whe should just not bother at all.

If only they had listened to the community and showed some more love to this game it could have been one of the best games out there.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

In my opinion age of conan is a great game offering alot of content after all patches and expansion. Its also not that grindy anymore, its same like othergames farm doungens and farm pvp.

The only problem i see in this game is the playerbase, in pvp you fight mostly the same people all over again.

Its my backup game, if im bored of anything i always log in playing some pvp in it.

I guess i will never have so much fun in pvp like in conan, all those skills and the timing you had to watch after all the experience the fights looked pretty dynamic and awesome.

Sure haters say pvp sucks and is imbalanced which is actually not, it was all a matter of skill but what ever its their opinion.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I like it.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I can't stand the combat system. I might play it if it was better.
  • anthonypenaanthonypena Member Posts: 131
    Game fell of hard like vanilla ice
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Typical Funcom game. Amazing potential, never reaches it. Fun, to a point.

And it will never regain population because, being Funcom, they decided to go paytrap instead of actual F2P...paytraps never regain bring in a lot of players for anything but a very short amount of time.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by jusomdude

If it was any better?:D Its unique hard and dynamic, I never understood people hating it. xD

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

It was fun for a time, ok for a time and now its going nowhere but struggles staying afloat.
    The playerbase is thinned out, they have not the manpower to reinvent AoC and if they had nobody would care about it, also all friends have left it and there is null reason to go back.
    And in the current market its not even an option to develop AoC 2 and use their wonderfull assets and everything to bulld an Elephant with 4 legs instead of 1.

Its one more MMO that never had realized its full potential and hurt itself from a bad start to never recover.

But a real AoC 2 in a real Conan world with sort of a SWG approach aka having a big world to travel, a working economy and crafting, housing, also slavery, erotic, good combat, cool classes/skills, not raid depending, that could be very cool but i really do not see it happen ever.

Archeage or WoD will maybe become good world mmos...time will tell...i dont believe that TESO will be the reinvention of world mmos.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by Vapors
    Originally posted by jusomdude

If it was any better?:D Its unique hard and dynamic, I never understood people hating it. xD

I think it's because the way combo chains works in AoC feels a lot like QTE (quick time vents) in other games. A lot of people are not dextrous enough to keep track of the attack chains. I forget offhand if AoC has macros, but it needs them if it doesn't.

Also, for a game with so many attack combos, it doesn't really give you an optimal hotbar area....I have learned to manage, but every time I leave for a few months and then come back, I have to go through the re-familiarization experience all over again.

Other than that, I do think that AoC's combat is more dynamic and interesting than most other MMOs out there, but it doesn't surprise me at all that many people are turned off of it. I can't help but notice that the way AoC's successor The Secret World works, it's carefully eschewed the clustered-buttons problem of AoC, and also is more intuitive when it comes to advertising combo chains (which it has, but it is so smooth that you don't even realize they're basically the same deal as in AoC).

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by Elphyi

Well im actually really liking this game.

but everywhere i read ppl are just dissing and putting the game down.

so does anyone like this game anymore?

Did try it. Never liked it, does that count?