Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play GW2 if it had the standard MMO A.K.A WoW combat?

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    If I wanted normal MMO combat, I would just play WoW to get my fix; let the combat be different for each game!

TERA has nice, fun, and different combat system, but I played it only 2 weeks because the world was completely shit and boring. Just saying, people have different priorities.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I would play it, but I wouldn't love it. The GW2 combat craps all over WoW.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I have no issues with tab target combat, what I do have issues with are multiple layers and rows of hotkeys with tens and hundreds of combat abilities which only 25-35% of get used in every combat encounter.  Heres a rule for WoW combat or any other tab target combat game.  If I dont use an ability at least every other fight (discounting silencing, crowd control and interrupt effts), then role it into another skill or cut it completely.  Things like Firebolts and Arcane Barrage on a Frost mage, Tracking mechanics or multiple forms of traps on the hunter, or multiple forms of Auras that do the same thing on Paladins.

With that being said I voted yes I would play but it would make the game worse off IMO, the rest of the game is enough to carry a subpar game design like hotbar combat.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I voted bananas because this poll is asking whether we would play the game if it was completely different.

Would you still eat fruit if they were salty, not sweet?  It is the same question.  change a part and you change the whole.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    It is GW2's unique approach to combat that makes the game what it is. That being said though the world, lore etc are far and beyond what other games are doing.
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

If I played a game for combat and nothing else I would be playing Tera...because it has nothing else.

Combat makes up a small portion of an MMORPG.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

If I played a game for combat and nothing else I would be playing Tera...because it has nothing else.

Combat makes up a small portion of an MMORPG.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by AvsRock21
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf Originally posted by Masa1 GW2 already has the standard MMO A.K.A WoW combat so this topic is pointless. 1 dodge mechanic and downed state crap won't make the difference.
     i have to agree with this guy, im looking forward to playing the game but come on the combat is nothing new. its the same tab target and everything hits, hell in the stress test i was getting shot threw a wall by arrows just like what happens in wow.
    I agree too. Just because ranged attacks don't heat-seak you, doesn't make the combat way different than traditional. 

yep .. feels like im taking crazy pills! its just misdirected wow hate. they find a new game to champion and it is thus by default superior to wow in every way. i mean it has to be right, otherwise they wouldnt like it.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    I may be in the minority on this site but in my opinion, WoW has some of the best and responsive combat in an MMO. I do like GW2's combat better but if the game had the same exact combat as WoW, I'd play it.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    I would still play, it is a beautiful world and I love the PvP set up, but I would not be as excited for it. 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    GW2's combat system is not that much different to justify such a thread.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by The_Korrigan Yes I would, because it still would have the amazing, living and dynamic world, but I'm very happy it doesn't... having to healers and no gear dependency will make it so that GW2 will have superior PvP.

This

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    GW2's combat system is not that much different to justify such a thread.

IMO, GW2's combat is as different from WoW's, as WoW's combat is different from EQ's.

Now, if you think that WoW and EQ had the same combat...then I think you're just being too broad in your judgment.  But if you think that WoW and EQ had different combat...then you should really believe that GW2 is different from WoW's combat.

The mere fact that I can swing my sword and just hit stuff without targeting is a pretty big difference in and of itself...but really, it goes way beyond that.  GW2's combat just plays so differently from WoW's in practice...but it's difficult to put exactly why in words.  It's just something you have to experience.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Talking about the GW2 Combat System is pretty much relevant since its a PVP bases game.

Sure everyone cloak behind ITS ALSO LORE AND DYNAMIC QUESTS and after they RAID and LORE ( to be honest you do this once and never again in your life) the basepoint and endgame will be the PVP and the 8 doungens GW2 offers, no raids yet.

If we talk about PVP combat is the gamebreaker, guess people wouldnt play it with another combat system, even though its nothing new and is already experienced in another games. Only this lieing on ground attack when u died-.-(feeling like call of duty last man standing xD)

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    I think I would like the game less BUT it would be easier for those around me like an unskilled friend and my mother who will certainly frustrate me a bit for the first cpl weeks if not months. I think the events and style would make up for the same ole combat as to me thats what was REALLY getting old in MMOs.. I am speaking of questing and PVE mostly.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I probably still would play it, just because of the games feature set.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I didn't quit wow because of combat and GW2's combat is pretty low on the list of why I want to play GW2 so yes.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    If it had WoW style combat, I would probably still play it, but I would be looking for other games to play instead.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Probably not. Playing a Mesmer with the combat they have is one of the most amazing experiences I've had with a MMOs combat system.

Smile

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by andre369
    We all know it, static,boring and very little skill involved. Im not saying it doesnt take any skill at all to play those MMOs. All I say is that you compare them to a game like LoL,CS, CoD the system is just easier to handle. Many people like it, I did at one point as well but if GW2 had this combat system I woudnt play it. Would you?

From playing BWE I got feeling that Anet designed combat around idea 'remove tank and healer' not idea 'lets make combat versatile and more dynamic'. This combat is experiment and we need time to see if it's great or bad.

Now, where are those bananas?! ;)

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yes, but it wouldn't be as fun.

The combat is what really makes GW2 feel different from other MMOs and just using the same combat all other MMOs use would make the game feel a lot more average.

Still, I do like the exploration and the fact that you can pick what you do in a very different way than in most MMOs (I hate questchains that force you to do boring stuff to unlock the fun quests).

• Xion1985Xion1985 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Honestly the combat in GW2 isn't bad imo, but it's not what hooked me.  I hadn't played anyof the bwe's, until bwe3 and the first few things that caught me is character creation was great (lots of options and not just appearance), a world that felt worth exploring (something VERY few mmo's have, most 'exploration' is go here and kill things for a quest), and then WvWvW was just flat out the most epic thing I had seen in an mmo in a very long time.  Combat I'm sure played a role somewhat but it isn't like vindictus, or c9 where combat is really the only reason to play.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

What makes GW2 unique is the full package.

There is no single unique feature that makes or break the game - that is why this game isn't the "standard WoW clone with unique twist".

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

The Guild Wars games never really had the "Standard MMO combat" to even start with so I wouldn't even compare the with other games and say "it's the same".

In Guild Wars 1:

- The Skill system is different then a traditional mmo.

- The combat is different compared to a traditional mmo.

GW2 only took it a step further by keeping parts of their battle and skill system and making them more action based than before, by adding dodging, jumping and switching of weapons/skillsets/pets on the fly.

My answer was yes cause I liked the Guild Wars system before and I love what they did out of it cause in my opinion, it was definately a step to the right direction.

I wouldn't like to have the traditional combat system in the Guild Wars games but to be honest, I would play the games even if they had that system cause alone the lore, the classes, the environment, the missions in GW1 and the Dynamic/Meta Events in GW2 make up for it.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Great post OP. Im learning new stuff everyday.. GJ

/Sarcasm off