Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's talk endgame.

Comments

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Erm..

Legendary Weapons

WvWvW

sPvP

Dynamic Events

Traveling to the lands I Didn't go to and do stuff there.

The Combat System itself is a huge draw

Better looking gear (It's only cool to fight if you're fighting with swag mate)

Exploring the maps and try to do map completes

Choreographing my own GW2 musical about ninjas who steal turnips from baby charr who are sick with the Nornish plague.  (I may need help with this one..)

This^!

Especially the ninja turnip musical!

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by Chase187666
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Erm..

Legendary Weapons

WvWvW

sPvP

Dynamic Events

Traveling to the lands I Didn't go to and do stuff there.

The Combat System itself is a huge draw

Better looking gear (It's only cool to fight if you're fighting with swag mate)

Exploring the maps and try to do map completes

Choreographing my own GW2 musical about ninjas who steal turnips from baby charr who are sick with the Nornish plague.  (I may need help with this one..)

This^!

Especially the ninja turnip musical!

I'll roll a small charr if you bribe me with some asura grade catnip.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by baphamet

people that play rpg's pr mmorpg's care about progression, its why they play the game.

you guys are so fixated on "stat" progression, i am not saying the game has to be focused around that at end game.

you play the game from level 1-80 with your character advancing in power with each level and then abruptly stops.

there is no endgame progressions, whether it be stats or anything els, just cosmetic.

i don't find that very viable for the health of a game long term.

You don't, however, lots of GW1 players do. You can argue all you want but the facts are the GW1 has sold ~7 million copies while having a mostly cosmetic endgame.

Those numbers are misleading. That is 7 million total copies to include all of the expansions. That doesn't mean individual accounts or active users. That is 7 million boxes over 7 or eight years with a lot of those being three or four boxes on the same account. That isn't to say that it wasn't moderately successful, but not as successful as you make it appear to be. In comparison WoW would have like 70 or 100  million if we used the numbers like you are.

The numbers ultimately don't matter. We can take that 7 million and divide it by 4 (3 campaigns and 1 explansion) and we'll get 1,750,000, which is still a lot of people who enjoyed GW1's mostly cosmetic endgame.

And how many of those people stayed around? Again you state another number that holds no meaning to your argument. I am sure that not even close to 1.75 million stuck around. 

The same can be said about any other game. WoW has 9 million accounts but how many of those accounts are actually playing? I know quite a few people who purchased that 12 month thing to get Diablo III and the mount.

The fact is that GW1 was entertaining enough to sell 7 million copies and sell that many, ArenaNet has to be doing something right.

Boxes =/= equal active accounts.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Catnip makes charr dribble, don't do it!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    In a nutshell we have people saying that games are only long lasting if they have stat progression. No other form of progression exists that will engage users for years. Players in gw1 and 2 are/ will be deluded, players in eve are deluded, players in future games like archangel are deluded. From now to eternity progression = getting bigger stats. Sounds insane doesn't it, like the ramblings of a mad addict.

I did the progression raiding thing in WoW for a long time. Our guild got the first Horde side kill of Archimonde and I spent all my DKP on the T6 hat when it was relevant. It was pretty neat. The game was also a second job, and now that I'm older I have other things to do.

So I don't begrudge people who want a tiered gear grind. There are plenty of game options for them.

What I do find odd are the people who know what GW2 is and yet still go into the forums and complain about the fact that it's not the way they want it to be, or that they'll play it but will only do so grudgingly but are sure to leave. Or worse, that they haven't played it but are somehow experts on it so they can tell you assuredly why it's bad.

It's like going into a Burger King and complaining about the fact that they don't have Big Macs because you like Big Macs and want a Big Mac.

Though as an aside, I was reading through the WoW forums and there was another 200 page thread on why people shouldn't get nice things through LFR in MoP. And I'm wondering, some people need a video game to make them feel special?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Correction, wow sold lots of boxes therefore stat progression is the only form of progression that will keep users happy for years. Gw1 and gw2 players are deluded eve players are deluded and all future mmorgs that don't have stay progression are deluded. Better.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

A lot of people will also stick to GW2 just so they don't need to admit they were wrong.

I.E the case Star Wars: The Old Republic.

And TSW.

Nah 1 month in 14 days /played ability wheel at 50% and haven't did any of the stories or investigations. The best part 10/20 man raids Aug. 31st. Might get Aux. weapons too. So much to do in TSW atm.

Originally posted by bcbully

A lot of people will also stick to GW2 just so they don't need to admit they were wrong.

And TSW.

Nah 1 month in 14 days /played ability wheel at 50% and haven't did any of the stories or investigations. The best part 10/20 man raids Aug. 31st. Might get Aux. weapons too. So much to do in TSW atm.

You might tell that to all the people who are posting that they're not renewing.

Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

In a nutshell we have people saying that games are only long lasting if they have stat progression. No other form of progression exists that will engage users for years. Players in gw1 and 2 are/ will be deluded, players in eve are deluded, players in future games like archangel are deluded. From now to eternity progression = getting bigger stats. Sounds insane doesn't it, like the ramblings of a mad addict.

Why can't we have it all? Stat progression, cosmetic, and horizontal? 

What happens when you find that awsome looking whatever? 

Yup read my sig yerp, for nearly 3 years I raided 5 days a week on silver moon, I understand the addiction of stat progression too, but I forced myself to be open minded and to accept that I was trapped by a manipulative system and that actually, the grass can be green on the other side of the fence too.

We can bc, that a be da point of this whole thread.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    To atinania, you dinged 80 in gw2 and have dinged 80 in a typical mmorg. Gw2 offers several hundred hours worth of viable content over a typical mmorg that has maybe 10. Get it yet?

Can you make a list?, because people here keep saying that but i didnt find a single thing that gw2 have and other mmo doesnt, just the thing that gw doesnt have long term progression. 

I do not want this to be taken the wrong way but why do you continue to come to the GW2 sub-forums if you dont like the game.  I think your either a closet fan who intends to play or a glutton for punishment.  Say your peace and move on please, you dont need to respond negatively to every GW2 thread.

Ahh, the the 'Closet Fan' term.

I think I am one of these as well since I am not really sold on GW2, but look forward to playing it later down the road despite it being another fantasy mmo with a Asian style look.

I know the fan base goes nuts on a game they only played in beta and their talking like that played it for years. I understand what its like to be a fan of anything and supporting it, but players here are just hashing out information I see on the official website and cut / paste the same info from what someone else said....  'As they say, it all looks good on paper'.

I always find enjoyment in any new game that is released and always think, this is the game, however how will it be 3 to 6 months down the road? Well, we got a B2P game here so we wont be losing any money monthly. I guess we better hope players buy things in the cash shop to support our future content.

I hope GW2 is a success for the model they are using, but we will all see. Let's just hope we dont have to use this terminolgy for GW2  'All Flash and no Substance".

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Why can't we have it all? Stat progression, cosmetic, and horizontal? 

What happens when you find that awsome looking whatever? 

You take a piece of top gear with stats you like and transfer the stats from that piece to the awesome looking whatever.

*Sarcasm* After reading all of the hate spewed at GW2, I have realized the game is utter crap. So I will now cancel my pre-purchase of GW2 and rush to get a pre-order/purchase of MoP. *End sarcasm*
  • WarriorNeedsWarriorNeeds Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Derpybird

What I do find odd are the people who know what GW2 is and yet still go into the forums and complain about the fact that it's not the way they want it to be, or that they'll play it but will only do so grudgingly but are sure to leave. Or worse, that they haven't played it but are somehow experts on it so they can tell you assuredly why it's bad.

You'll find this happens in every MMORPG forum.  This website used to be somewhat decent, but the current topics are either hype or hate threads.  No conversation there.

Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    *Sarcasm* After reading all of the hate spewed at GW2, I have realized the game is utter crap. So I will now cancel my pre-purchase of GW2 and rush to get a pre-order/purchase of MoP. *End sarcasm*

You saw the light!

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by baphamet

people that play rpg's pr mmorpg's care about progression, its why they play the game.

you guys are so fixated on "stat" progression, i am not saying the game has to be focused around that at end game.

you play the game from level 1-80 with your character advancing in power with each level and then abruptly stops.

there is no endgame progressions, whether it be stats or anything els, just cosmetic.

i don't find that very viable for the health of a game long term.

You don't, however, lots of GW1 players do. You can argue all you want but the facts are the GW1 has sold ~7 million copies while having a mostly cosmetic endgame.

Those numbers are misleading. That is 7 million total copies to include all of the expansions. That doesn't mean individual accounts or active users. That is 7 million boxes over 7 or eight years with a lot of those being three or four boxes on the same account. That isn't to say that it wasn't moderately successful, but not as successful as you make it appear to be. In comparison WoW would have like 70 or 100  million if we used the numbers like you are.

The numbers ultimately don't matter. We can take that 7 million and divide it by 4 (3 campaigns and 1 explansion) and we'll get 1,750,000, which is still a lot of people who enjoyed GW1's mostly cosmetic endgame.

And how many of those people stayed around? Again you state another number that holds no meaning to your argument. I am sure that not even close to 1.75 million stuck around. 

The same can be said about any other game. WoW has 9 million accounts but how many of those accounts are actually playing? I know quite a few people who purchased that 12 month thing to get Diablo III and the mount.

The fact is that GW1 was entertaining enough to sell 7 million copies and sell that many, ArenaNet has to be doing something right.

If it was a bad game, it would not have sold 7 million copies. It doesn't matter how many active accounts there are. To sell that many copies indicates that the game is good enough to continue selling strong after existing for 7 years.

And TSW.

You might tell that to all the people who are posting that they're not renewing.

Can't win them all :) So many people on this weekend severs needed a restart. Looks like TSW will replace they few from this forum who unsub :)

Oh except stay progression destroys old content and balancing which suppresses horizontal progression, but you can have games with vertical, and games with horizontal with vertical that plateau - that's why people love gw2, that's exactly what it offers - a little bit of everything.

And TSW.

Can't win them all :) So many people on this weekend severs needed a restart. Looks like TSW will replace they few from this forum who unsub :)

You sure that wasn't for a bug fix?

If it was a bad game, it would not have sold 7 million copies. It doesn't matter how many active accounts there are. To sell that many copies indicates that the game is good enough to continue selling strong after existing for 7 years.

No problem with that statment. They number of people who played the game at one point in time is probably closer to 1.5 million than 7 though.

Bc we know wow sold well. The original point was people like gw1, so they will likely enjoy gw2.

Originally posted by clumsytoes44

You saw the light!

Then I turned it off, too save power of course. :P

And TSW.

You sure that wasn't for a bug fix?

Might have been to lay the ground work for more endgame progression, but hey this is not about TSW. 

Let's stay on topic.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

And TSW.

14 days /played and wheel only at 50%? And you haven't done any story and investigations? I had 37% at 4 days /played.

Maybe someone who has not played TSW will believe you about how much content there really is. For some who has played it, your comment is laughable. I "beat" the game after about 5 days played. What was left was running the same 2 instances, grind zergy PvP or rerun the same quests in Transilvania to get more SP/AP, which I wasn't going to do.