Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's talk endgame.

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

There are following activities available after you hit max lvl: PvP, rolling alts, exploring the areas of the game you haven't seen, grind for purely cosmetic achievements.

That's pretty much the most _any_ mmorpg can offer, with the exception of gear threadmill/raiding, which is insane. I will not play a game with gear threadmill/raiding.

The thing that I'll be doing in the GW2 after max lvl is PvP. Nothing else interests me at all.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Hikaru,

I think you care too much about how other people feel about a game. It's exactly like what happens when hype hurts a game. It hurts because people care about what others think about a game as much or more than they themselves feel about a game.

If you only want to play GW2 because of the PvP more power to you. Stating that's all it is to everyone else is flat out false. You should know better.
  • AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

Ah yea..forgot to post what I will do when I hit 80 so here is the list:

-Explore areas I missed

-Do DE's that I like and ones I find while exploring

-Orr

-Try to get the gear I like that looks best for me

-sPVP

-WvWvW

-Get filthy rich

-Hang with my guild/friends in game

-Dungeons

-Minigames

-Level alts

There is probably something that I can't remeber now but all those points I posted above should keep me busy for a while

• trillgodtrillgod Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Adzija

-Explore areas I missed

-Orr

-sPVP

-WvWvW

-Get filthy rich

-Dungeons

-Minigames

-Level alts

There is probably something that I can't remeber now but all those points I posted above should keep me busy for a while

so pretty much youre standard grind end game

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by trillgod

-Explore areas I missed

-Orr

-sPVP

-WvWvW

-Get filthy rich

-Dungeons

-Minigames

-Level alts

this thread should get locked its going in circles.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by trillgod

-Explore areas I missed

-Orr

-sPVP

-WvWvW

-Get filthy rich

-Dungeons

-Minigames

-Level alts

Well..If you have no fun while doing all that and still do it then yea...it's grind.

I'll try to have fun and when I stop having fun I'll stop doing it (not like I wasted money on sub and now I have to make it worth)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Everyone, repeat after me..."all game."
  • UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

The best endgame of GW2 is watching the discussions between lovers and haters. Thats great, I can play the endgame even before the game actually launched. But SWTOR was way better in this department. Unfortunately these great discussions about SWTOR ended way too early, because the haters did win as expected. But i am very sure, with GW2 the show will last much longer.

But i have to stop here, i did run out of popcorn ....

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

People claim here very often, that you can go back to lower zones and due to downscaling its still a challenge. Do you just repeat what you have read?

Well, i did it during BWE. I went with a Lvl 25 char into a Lvl 5 zone and it was very trivial. Perhaps i did not enough testing, because i just looked for some ranger-pets and participated a bit in some DEs popping up. But it was far away from challenging. I felt very superior during these trips. Perhaps Arenanet has to adjust the scaling a bit more. However, even if it works, this gives you just content for a few more months more. Depends on your play-schedule.Of course thats more than other MMOs.

Lower level content is easier since you don't have all your abilities unlocked. The game gets harder as you progress through to the higher zones. The difficulty of those zones will never change and always be challenging because those zones assume you are more familiar with the game and have all your abilities unlocked. The original GW worked alot like this, once you hit the level cap all the level cap content was MUCH harder.

Originally posted by Celcius

People claim here very often, that you can go back to lower zones and due to downscaling its still a challenge. Do you just repeat what you have read?

Well, i did it during BWE. I went with a Lvl 25 char into a Lvl 5 zone and it was very trivial. Perhaps i did not enough testing, because i just looked for some ranger-pets and participated a bit in some DEs popping up. But it was far away from challenging. I felt very superior during these trips. Perhaps Arenanet has to adjust the scaling a bit more. However, even if it works, this gives you just content for a few more months more. Depends on your play-schedule.Of course thats more than other MMOs.

Lower level content is easier since you don't have all your abilities unlocked. The game gets harder as you progress through to the higher zones. The difficulty of those zones will never change and always be challenging because those zones assume you are more familiar with the game and have all your abilities unlocked. The original GW worked alot like this, once you hit the level cap all the level cap content was MUCH harder.

they are not really listening bud:

1. ask question: list proof.

2. ignore reply and repeat yourself.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Yeah it's always more fun to engage in the prelaunch drama than actually play it right? Lol. I'll enjoy it until the 25th and then be done as usual.
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

This makes no sense at all mate have you actually read his response?

UsulDaNeriak: "I have gone back to doing level 5 content with a lvl 25 char to experience the down scaling system and found it trivial, it wasnt challenging anymore, you could roll through the content as if it wasnt scaled down".

Celsius: "Lower level content is easier than higher level content, cause higher level content assumes you know more about the game".

I honestly dont know why he even quoted the other guy, the response has nothing to do with what he quoted and argues absolutely nothing or makes absolutely no attempt to address any of the issues raised, your response makes it even more confusing, by attempting to back a completely random and unrelated response like it somehow argues the original point, sometimes I wonder if people ever read anything in these discussions anymore.

Originally posted by Raven

UsulDaNeriak: "I have gone back to doing level 5 content with a lvl 25 char to experience the down scaling system and found it trivial, it wasnt challenging anymore, you could roll through the content as if it wasnt scaled down".

Celsius: "Lower level content is easier than higher level content, cause higher level content assumes you know more about the game".

I honestly dont know why he even quoted the other guy, the response has nothing to do with what he quoted, and your response makes it even more completely confusing, sometimes I wonder if people ever read anything in these discussions anymore.

I think he wanted to say that it's not same if you go do lvl 5 content and lvl 40 content with lvl 80 character. Lvl 5 will be lot easier than lvl 40 since it's build for characters that only have weapon skills and 1 heal while lvl 40 stuff is built for characters with all utility and elite skills.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I honestly dont know why he even quoted the other guy, the response has nothing to do with what he quoted, and your response makes it even more completely confusing, sometimes I wonder if people ever read anything in these discussions anymore.

I think he wanted to say that it's not same if you go do lvl 5 content and lvl 40 content with lvl 80 character. Lvl 5 will be lot easier than lvl 40 since it's build for characters that only have weapon skills and 1 heal while lvl 40 stuff is built for characters with all utility and elite skills.

That still doesnt address the issue which is "Characters downscale", the premise by which this issue has been raised is that going back and doing lower level content is a form of end game because there is a downscale that makes all of the game's leveling content challenging at any point, if the content is still trivial ( i.e. the equivalent of not having a downscale at all ) then the downscale is pointless and it could not work as a form of endgame.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by Raven Originally posted by Bladestrom Originally posted by Celcius Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak People claim here very often, that you can go back to lower zones and due to downscaling its still a challenge. Do you just repeat what you have read? Well, i did it during BWE. I went with a Lvl 25 char into a Lvl 5 zone and it was very trivial. Perhaps i did not enough testing, because i just looked for some ranger-pets and participated a bit in some DEs popping up. But it was far away from challenging. I felt very superior during these trips. Perhaps Arenanet has to adjust the scaling a bit more. However, even if it works, this gives you just content for a few more months more. Depends on your play-schedule.Of course thats more than other MMOs.
    they are not really listening bud: 1. ask question: list proof. 2. ignore reply and repeat yourself.
    This makes no sense at all mate have you actually read his response? UsulDaNeriak: "I have gone back to doing level 5 content with a lvl 25 char to experience the down scaling system and found it trivial, it wasnt challenging anymore, you could roll through the content as if it wasnt scaled down". Celsius: "Lower level content is easier than higher level content, cause higher level content assumes you know more about the game". I honestly dont know why he even quoted the other guy, the response has nothing to do with what he quoted, and your response makes it even more completely confusing, sometimes I wonder if people ever read anything in these discussions anymore.

But GW2 only downscales your gear, its doesnt downgrade your gear.

If you have a full set of level 80 Exotic gear and go into a level 5 you will now have a full set of level 5 Exotic gear.

And yes, level 40 is more difficult than level 5 content but not if you have a full set of level 40 Exotic gear. The level 40 content will most likely be tuned for characters in Masterwork or Rare gear at best.

So, going back and doing old content on your level 80 will be for completion and achievements when you're bored.

Well you'll be a lot more skilled as well. That doesn't discount level scaling though, it's a better way than locking out content strictly for your alts.

For those looking for information more than discussion should check out the GW2 wiki and GW2guru.
  • pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    You just dinged 80. You don't like leveling alts and want to finally experience GW2's endgame. What will keep you occupied for a whole year until the next expansion?

There is no end-game in GW2. This term was created by WoW players because everyone understood that everything except raiding was not worth doing. Everything except raiding was a waste of time due to the item tier based progression system.

In GW2 it's just game. Period.

• pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by evolver1972

Originally posted by baphamet this game needs a means to truly progress your toon past max level. if it was like Daoc and had realm points, that would be a huge step in the right direction.
    I would like to see something like realm points as well, thats about the only thing here I agree with. But no character advancement through stats,ect. They already have items you can buy as rewards with the tokens you recieve. I just want to see titles. This is honestly something they will probably add anyways due to popular demand. I am afraid if you want to advance the stats of your character just to own people just starting in the game then you are out of luck though.
      realm points are different than stats how exactly? in fact, a lot of Daoc's realm points increased stats and abilities other games gave you through item upgrades. everything realm points did gave you an advantage in rvr. it worked in Daoc and i don't see why it wouldn't in GW. my issue isn't wanting to have an advantage over newbs, they could put matchmaking mechanics in the game for small scale pvp and in wvwvw, it would be irrelevant because all sides will have newbs and vets with a lot of points. i want to be able to progress my character past max level somehow, that is my issue. if i feel my character isn't getting any better other than cosmetic upgrades or unlocks that don't make my toon any better then it will get boring for me after a short time. i realize not everyone has an issue with this but i also realize that a whole heck of a lot of people do.      
    Developing your skill in playing your character isn't enough for you?  Why does your progression depend on your gear and stats?

because this is an mmo and progressing your character is what these games are all about.

if i wanted to play a game where my character didn't advance, i wouldn't play an mmo or any RPG for that matter.

developing my skills by playing my character will come regardless, that wont be enough to keep me playing for very long at max level.

Then your just a mouse chasing after a peice of cheese. +1 on this or +1 on that is a very shallow system. It's proven to be extremely effective to keep the hamsters running on the hamster wheel though.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    To atinania, you dinged 80 in gw2 and have dinged 80 in a typical mmorg. Gw2 offers several hundred hours worth of viable content over a typical mmorg that has maybe 10. Get it yet?

Can you make a list?, because people here keep saying that but i didnt find a single thing that gw2 have and other mmo doesnt, just the thing that gw doesnt have long term progression. 

I do not want this to be taken the wrong way but why do you continue to come to the GW2 sub-forums if you dont like the game.  I think your either a closet fan who intends to play or a glutton for punishment.  Say your peace and move on please, you dont need to respond negatively to every GW2 thread.

I dont know how you extrapolated from his comment that he doesnt like the game, he never said it, he said he didnt find a thing that gw2 had and other mmos dont and that gw doesnt have long term progression. But I suppose when you have blind faith in something its easy to see any criticism as "attacking something you dont like".

Also what is the rationale for him not being able to discuss whatever he wants on the GW2 forums, even if he didnt like the game? If I dont like Obama does that mean I can't have a discussion on a public forum about him? Afaik this forum isn't for GW2 fans. ( this goes for any game here really ).

Just wanted to add that really, I dont really know what the GW2 end game is, but I will find out when it's released. 

Check his post history.  Negative thread and negative post, one after another.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Very simple. At 80 you mostly do same stuff you did before you were 80. Anet said it and it's not a secret.There are lot of lists in posts before but all those things you do boefore 80. Bottom line : if you liked playing game while leveling there is no reason not to like it once you hit 80 because it's about same. If you didn't like it while leveling then why do you play.

when you are leveling from 1-80 you are progressing, you are gaining levels and advancing your character.

once you hit 80 it all stops. sure you can go do stuff you did before but you are no longer progressing like you were before you hit 80.

i look forward to playing this game as i have already pre-purchased. but anyone ignoring the fact that there isn't any real endgame and thinks people will just continue playing it for the hell of it are going to be in for a rude awakening.

this is the type of game you play for a few months then put down for a while and maybe come back later (unless you are into alt making).

it isn't a game that will have any kind of "legs" long term. it doesn't take a genius to come to that conclusion and as long as people manage expectations and realize that, then the game will live up to their expectations.

if not we will see those people coming straight here crying about how anet tricked them or some other similar nonsense.

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    To atinania, you dinged 80 in gw2 and have dinged 80 in a typical mmorg. Gw2 offers several hundred hours worth of viable content over a typical mmorg that has maybe 10. Get it yet?

Can you make a list?, because people here keep saying that but i didnt find a single thing that gw2 have and other mmo doesnt, just the thing that gw doesnt have long term progression. 

I do not want this to be taken the wrong way but why do you continue to come to the GW2 sub-forums if you dont like the game.  I think your either a closet fan who intends to play or a glutton for punishment.  Say your peace and move on please, you dont need to respond negatively to every GW2 thread.

I dont know how you extrapolated from his comment that he doesnt like the game, he never said it, he said he didnt find a thing that gw2 had and other mmos dont and that gw doesnt have long term progression. But I suppose when you have blind faith in something its easy to see any criticism as "attacking something you dont like".

Also what is the rationale for him not being able to discuss whatever he wants on the GW2 forums, even if he didnt like the game? If I dont like Obama does that mean I can't have a discussion on a public forum about him? Afaik this forum isn't for GW2 fans. ( this goes for any game here really ).

Just wanted to add that really, I dont really know what the GW2 end game is, but I will find out when it's released. 

Check his post history.  Negative thread and negative post, one after another.

I'd just like to add, hikaru77 is someone who once claimed GW2 has potions despite also claiming to have played the BWE. He is someone who has an agenda at spreading misinformation about GW2.

No matter how innocent he would like to pretend, if you've spent at least sometime in the GW2 forum here you know where hikaru stands. I suspect to this day hikaru still has not played in any BWE or stress test and is just pretending he does.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by pointchiz

Originally posted by evolver1972

Originally posted by baphamet this game needs a means to truly progress your toon past max level. if it was like Daoc and had realm points, that would be a huge step in the right direction.
    I would like to see something like realm points as well, thats about the only thing here I agree with. But no character advancement through stats,ect. They already have items you can buy as rewards with the tokens you recieve. I just want to see titles. This is honestly something they will probably add anyways due to popular demand. I am afraid if you want to advance the stats of your character just to own people just starting in the game then you are out of luck though.
      realm points are different than stats how exactly? in fact, a lot of Daoc's realm points increased stats and abilities other games gave you through item upgrades. everything realm points did gave you an advantage in rvr. it worked in Daoc and i don't see why it wouldn't in GW. my issue isn't wanting to have an advantage over newbs, they could put matchmaking mechanics in the game for small scale pvp and in wvwvw, it would be irrelevant because all sides will have newbs and vets with a lot of points. i want to be able to progress my character past max level somehow, that is my issue. if i feel my character isn't getting any better other than cosmetic upgrades or unlocks that don't make my toon any better then it will get boring for me after a short time. i realize not everyone has an issue with this but i also realize that a whole heck of a lot of people do.      
    Developing your skill in playing your character isn't enough for you?  Why does your progression depend on your gear and stats?
      because this is an mmo and progressing your character is what these games are all about. if i wanted to play a game where my character didn't advance, i wouldn't play an mmo or any RPG for that matter. developing my skills by playing my character will come regardless, that wont be enough to keep me playing for very long at max level.  
    Then your just a mouse chasing after a peice of cheese. +1 on this or +1 on that is a very shallow system. It's proven to be extremely effective to keep the hamsters running on the hamster wheel though.

that makes no sense. so because i want to continue advancing my character i am a mouse chadsing a piece of cheese?

so between levels 1-80 its okay to be a mouse chasing cheese? lol makes sense to me

you are reading into what you think i am trying to say and not reading what i am actually saying.

i don't care if everyone has the same gear with the same stats or if the gear doesn't upgrade.

there needs to be a way to advance your character at max level.

what they have in place will not keep most people interested long term.

I thought gw2 had xp based progression past 80 just like gw1?

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Very simple. At 80 you mostly do same stuff you did before you were 80. Anet said it and it's not a secret.

There are lot of lists in posts before but all those things you do boefore 80.

Bottom line : if you liked playing game while leveling there is no reason not to like it once you hit 80 because it's about same. If you didn't like it while leveling then why do you play.

when you are leveling from 1-80 you are progressing, you are gaining levels and advancing your character.

once you hit 80 it all stops. sure you can go do stuff you did before but you are no longer progressing like you were before you hit 80.

i look forward to playing this game as i have already pre-purchased. but anyone ignoring the fact that there isn't any real endgame and thinks people will just continue playing it for the hell of it are going to be in for a rude awakening.

this is the type of game you play for a few months then put down for a while and maybe come back later (unless you are into alt making).

it isn't a game that will have any kind of "legs" long term. it doesn't take a genius to come to that conclusion and as long as people manage expectations and realize that, then the game will live up to their expectations.

if not we will see those people coming straight here crying about how anet tricked them or some other similar nonsense.

It baffles me when people dont understand the huge market there is for special snowflakes.

The game is not only aimed at mmorpg players who only care about stat progression, good god its in their fricking manifesto.