Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP in SWOTR

jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

Hello,

I would like you to ask how does the pvp in this game look like (on pvp server). I am currently looking for some game with nice pvp, and never tried SWTOR. Is it worth to play this game till lvl 50 for the storyline and then for pvp? 

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

everybodys experience will be different but here was mine.

i played on a very populated pvp server when the game first came out, in the world while out questing i seriously only ran into 3 people the whole time, and many times i went looking for pvp and still couldnt find anybody. the quest and zones really keep the 2 sides away from each other.

so world pvp = none

then you have the mini games, they were fun for a week or so. but for me i kept getting the huttball map, i would no joke play huttball at least 20 times in a row almost everyday. needless to say it got old fast. plus the pvp is all about CC, you will find out very quickly that once your CCed your pretty much dead. you get one CC breaker and its on a 2 min cooldown so once you use that your screwed because every class gets loads of CC to use and you will be standing like a pinata getting beat on till death alot.

when it goes free try it out, you might like it who knows.

• Tensor25Tensor25 Member Posts: 70

Here's mmy opinion:

In General:

The actual fight versus another player is pretty smoothe. Typically each class has some kind of "increase defenses" ability with a longer cooldown that can be used once during a fight. This combined with a medpac can result in a fight lasting 45 seconds which I find is a satisfying amount of time. I have found in some games that the PvP is too quick, (i.e. you get jumped and before you have time to react you are dead), however with SWTOR I find the combat to be the right amount of time. You have time to react, time to feel out the other player, time to heal, and time to counter.

Warzones:

There are currently 4 Warzones each with a unique objective. 2 are the capture and hold style but with slight differences, one is a "seige" style (i.e. get through a series of gates quick than your opponent), and the 4th is a football style mini game where the goal is to literally carry a ball to the other teams "endzone" through a obstacle course. At 50 there are ranked and unranked warzones, basically the former provides a ranking system and tokens that can be used to purchase aesthetically unique gear. Levels 10-49 are thrown in the same Warzones, however a "bolster" buff is given to lower level characters so their damage and armor is on par with higher levels.

The Warzones are drawn randomly. As mentioned in the above post, Huttball (the football one) was getting drawn quite a bit more than the others, but they have fixed this and it is now rare to get any one twice in a row.

You do receive experience from PvP, so you could technically level your character from 10 to 50 entirely through PvP which is a nice feature that i am currently using with a new character.

In my opinion they are all fun and all present a great opportunity to showcase your PvP skillset. Some classes are more effective than others in certain Warzones, but again the yare drawn randomly so you just roll with it. I really enjoy the PvP and think the animations are accurate and smoothe, and the action is engaging.

World PvP:

While completing quests on various planets you do run into other players of the opposing faction on a regular basis (on my server anyway). I typically fight everyone I see, even if they are a couple of levels ahead, thats just my play style. But I do notice that not everyone is looking for a fight, so sometimes you may not be engaged to fight.

The PvP planet Ilum is pretty much a Ghost town now that they have taken away the PvP quests that were specific to that planet. It was kinda fun when it was in full swing. You'd have 50-75 Imperials versus Republic and basically kill swap to achieve your daily and weekly quests. I think there is a plan to revive this planet, but haven't seen much on this lately.

Overall i think the PvP is fun and i have experienced it with many different classes now. Each play a unique role, but all seem to be very fun and engaging.

Hope that helps.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Pvp was fun for me, but it gets old running the same 8 man warzones over and over. They really need to provide more oppertunites for large battles.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

thank you for your opinions guys, I decided to try the free trial and it seems ok (one thing I really dislike are invisible walls, really hate them in places where they should not exist).

One more question: is pvp gear such grindfest like for example WAR ?

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    everybodys experience will be different but here was mine.i played on a very populated pvp server when the game first came out, in the world while out questing i seriously only ran into 3 people the whole time, and many times i went looking for pvp and still couldnt find anybody. the quest and zones really keep the 2 sides away from each other.so world pvp = nonethen you have the mini games, they were fun for a week or so. but for me i kept getting the huttball map, i would no joke play huttball at least 20 times in a row almost everyday. needless to say it got old fast. plus the pvp is all about CC, you will find out very quickly that once your CCed your pretty much dead. you get one CC breaker and its on a 2 min cooldown so once you use that your screwed because every class gets loads of CC to use and you will be standing like a pinata getting beat on till death alot.when it goes free try it out, you might like it who knows.
    pvp in all games r nothin but cc
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Yes, unfortunetly they went the gear grind route and for PVP gear it's all about playing the same random warzones over and over again in order to buy better gear.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft