Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is GW2 basically a slightly improved RIFT?

Comments

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    For 1 year I see only one storyline going on here and there on internet: GW2 sux, it's not revolutionary, it's boring, nothing new, wow clone, rift clone... BUT, never seen/heard at least ONE, just ONE idea/suggestion how new or next gen MMORPGs should look like and how to improve this fallen genre...
  • KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Yes.

GW2 is a slightly improved Rift in the same way that a 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo is a slightly improved 1974 Pinto Wagon.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662
    Originally posted by altas
    For 1 year I see only one storyline going on here and there on internet: GW2 sux, it's not revolutionary, it's boring, nothing new, wow clone, rift clone... BUT, never seen/heard at least ONE, just ONE idea/suggestion how new or next gen MMORPGs should look like and how to improve this fallen genre...

Very true indeed.  If the current crop of MMO's are indeed not fun for some people, then those individuals should perhaps be at the forefront of offering constructive options and ideas on how MMO's should change for the better.

GW2 may bomb, who knows right now, but the fact is that games such as Rift, GW2, TOR and others are least trying different things.  Such features may not be to everyone's liking but that still doesn't detract from the fact that not all MMO's are alike.  Some hit a "magic formula" that makes them successful, others don't.

The fact is that MMO's don't have to be "revolutionary", but they should at least try to be "evolutionary".

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Tarka
    The "heart" progress bar is a communal one as far as I could tell.

If the completion was communal, it would mean that you can come to an area and the Heart being finished by other players even before you start any of the Heart tasks on your own.

That would be very very poor game design. Or am I missing something?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Gdemami

If the completion was communal, it would mean that you can come to an area and the Heart being finished by other players even before you start any of the Heart tasks on your own.

The heart progress bar is not communal unless you are in a group.

Edit: Let me clarify. Only your own group members share credit for accomplishing things. People outside of your group do not contribute to the heart progress bar.

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

yup, its the same thing all over again...

You have a bunch of classes, the same Tank, DPS, Healer trinity... (elementalist healers), you have some so so voice acting in both games, the same high fantasy makeup... etc...

They are basicly the same thing, the only difference is that in one you can have tons of skills and in the other one you have to swap from weapon to weapon to get new skills...

In the end Rift is like a glass of water and GW2 is a glass of sea water... both of them are water...!!!

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Dreskest

No, I am not confusing anything. You might want to reread my post.

Well you are wrong then. I played both WAR and GW2, and GW2 dynamic events (the events, not the hearts) have NOTHING to do with the static WAR public quests. And even the hearts are much better because they adapt to the number of participants, while in WAR, the low level public events were useless once you no longer had the release rush and people around to do them.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by Tutu2
    Is this a fair assessment? I keep hearing the story and voice acting is somewhat lucklustre, which is concerning me also. 

Hey there is nothing wrong with Rift...I think that game is great. Well for you maybe but for me Rift is awesome.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by Pelagato

You have a bunch of classes, the same Tank, DPS, Healer trinity... (elementalist healers), you have some so so voice acting in both games, the same high fantasy makeup... etc...

They are basicly the same thing, the only difference is that in one you can have tons of skills and in the other one you have to swap from weapon to weapon to get new skills...

In the end Rift is like a glass of water and GW2 is a glass of sea water... both of them are water...!!!

Is this post satire?

Originally posted by Pelagato

You have a bunch of classes, the same Tank, DPS, Healer trinity...

You can stop reading here. Credibility already dropped to zero.

Unless you were sarcastic and this was a joke - then I applaud.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

When I mention the "progress bar", I am talking about the bar that is specific to any one particular "heart" quest that the player is partaking in.  Not the "counter" which records how many "heart" quests you have completed in an area, that is a completely different thing (which is part of the "achievements" system).

This is what I'm talking about:

Notice the progress bar under the details for the "Heart" quest.  That bar fills up in accordance with what is being done for THAT specific "Heart" quest.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I'm going to be using Guild Wars 2 as my patch-day backup game for RIft.

Rift

When I mention the "progress bar", I am talking about the bar that is specific to any one particular "heart" quest that the player is partaking in.  Not the "counter" which records how many "heart" quests you have completed in an area.  That is a completely different thing.

Yeah, but that isn't actually communal. Within your own group it is. As I feed cows, it is not helping someone elses bar fill, it is only helping my own.

The DE progress bars (or whatever they have for the DE at the time) is communal. The heart quest progress bar is not.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    GW2 is not like RIFT it is different from every other mmo. Bull feces.
    Let's look at Dynamic Events. Fact: Dynamic Events start at a particular location. Fact: Dynamic Events re-appear at the same location. Fact: When you complete a Dynamic Event that changes the map you are in a new instance of the map. Is this "constant change or progess" which is the definition of "dynamic"? No. It goes back to EQ for quests without the question mark identifier and Rift for an area effect that involves multiple players.
    What GW2 does have that I have never seen in a mmo is dynamic event chains. However, chained events have been a part of mmos since year 1 so dynamic event changes are another variation of a theme.
    I am really feeling deja vu here. The hype is too intense. SWTOR went the same way for me. After the first beta event I was a SWTOR fanboy. Ever beta event after that deflated my zeal. By the time of release it was not how many years I would stay subbed but how many weeks. I lasted 12.
    I have seen this in every major aaa mmo release - "this game is nothing like WOW". Bull feces. WOW was a combination and evolution of every mmo before it and GW2 is just more of the same. You still have levels, you still have skills, you still have the 1 to 0 keys mapped for skills, you have tiers of skills you have crafting, etc. etc. etc.
    Yes, GW2 is looking to be a great game and I still look forward to it but the hype is getting out of control. I am afraid that the hype will have the same effect on GW2 as it had on AOC, WH, AION and Tera. [mod edit] Sell GW2 on the points that it IS different (action combat, skills dependent upon weapons, WvWvW, etc.). More facts, less hype and maybe we won't get the huge backlash that happened with SWTOR.
    Originally posted by colddog04

When I mention the "progress bar", I am talking about the bar that is specific to any one particular "heart" quest that the player is partaking in.  Not the "counter" which records how many "heart" quests you have completed in an area.  That is a completely different thing.

Yeah, but that isn't actually communal. Within your own group it is. As I feed cows, it is not helping someone elses bar fill, it is only helping my own.

The DE progress bars (or whatever they have for the DE at the time) is communal. The heart quest progress bar is not.

Well, I was sure that it filled up whilst other people (not in a group with me) were "completing" their bits for the quest, but I could be wrong.  I notice that the subject seems to be under much debate on various parts of the web.

I'm sure I even saw a progress bar partly filled up when I began on a "hearts" quest.

To me it seems that if only 1 person is working on the "hearts" quest then the progress bar will indeed fill up in accordance with what that one person is doing.  But if more than one is working on it, then it is the communal actions that are defining how quickly it fills up.  I could be wrong though.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

When I mention the "progress bar", I am talking about the bar that is specific to any one particular "heart" quest that the player is partaking in.

Same thing. As other poster said, it isn't communal as it would lead to situations I have described - people completing the task before you even get top the place.

Originally posted by colddog04

The heart progress bar is not communal unless you are in a group. Edit: Let me clarify. Only your own group members share credit for accomplishing things. People outside of your group do not contribute to the heart progress bar.

Yes, this makes sense. The way Tarka described it, contribution to Heart task seemed to be based on anyone doing the Heart in the area, which would be weird.

Thanks guys again for clearing this up.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by tordurbar
    Let's look at Dynamic Events. Fact: Dynamic Events start at a particular location. Fact: Dynamic Events re-appear at the same location. Fact: When you complete a Dynamic Event that changes the map you are in a new instance of the map. Is this "constant change or progess" which is the definition of "dynamic"? No. It goes back to EQ for quests without the question mark identifier and Rift for an area effect that involves multiple players.
    What GW2 does have that I have never seen in a mmo is dynamic event chains. However, chained events have been a part of mmos since year 1 so dynamic event changes are another variation of a theme.
    I am really feeling deja vu here. The hype is too intense. SWTOR went the same way for me. After the first beta event I was a SWTOR fanboy. Ever beta event after that deflated my zeal. By the time of release it was not how many years I would stay subbed but how many weeks. I lasted 12.
    I have seen this in every major aaa mmo release - "this game is nothing like WOW". Bull feces. WOW was a combination and evolution of every mmo before it and GW2 is just more of the same. You still have levels, you still have skills, you still have the 1 to 0 keys mapped for skills, you have tiers of skills you have crafting, etc. etc. etc.
    Yes, GW2 is looking to be a great game and I still look forward to it but the hype is getting out of control. I am afraid that the hype will have the same effect on GW2 as it had on AOC, WH, AION and Tera. Please fanboys, don't sell this game as COMPLETELY DIFFERENT because it is not. Sell GW2 on the points that it IS different (action combat, skills dependent upon weapons, WvWvW, etc.). More facts, less hype and maybe we won't get the huge backlash that happened with SWTOR.

Fact: Dynamic Events don't re-appear at the same location. Lots of them REQUIRE player action to appear, they don't just "reset" like in Rift or War, there is no timer here (unless it's an one time event, they reset like that, but they are the minority)

Fact: When you complete some Dynamic Events, they CHANGE the world around you for everyone, plant a bomb in a skriit cave? The cave will be forever blocked afterwards, unless the skriit find the tools to excavate it back. Centaurs conquered a fortress? It will remain conquered forever until the players take it back. What more would you want?

Please don't post nonsense

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Yes, GW2 is looking to be a great game and I still look forward to it but the hype is getting out of control. I am afraid that the hype will have the same effect on GW2 as it had on AOC, WH, AION and Tera. Please fanboys, don't sell this game as COMPLETELY DIFFERENT because it is not. Sell GW2 on the points that it IS different (action combat, skills dependent upon weapons, WvWvW, etc.). More facts, less hype and maybe we won't get the huge backlash that happened with SWTOR.

Whoa. First thing is that you don't have your "facts" straight.

Fact: Dynamic Events start at a particular location.

Well yes, this is a fact.

Fact: Dynamic Events re-appear at the same location.

They are actually going to be rotating dynamic events in and out of the game when the game goes live. So not only are they not going to necessarily always be at the same location, but there may be a completely different one in the area you have never seen.

Fact: When you complete a Dynamic Event that changes the map you are in a new instance of the map. 

This is just false. They are not using instancing or phasing with the dynamic events. The world is persistent.

Dynamic events have a pass/fail mechanic. Sometimes when you fail, the chain goes in a different direction. It does not necessarily restart or anything. Some of them branch more than others. Saying that a typical quest chain is the same is disingenuous. Is it brand new awesome technology? No, but it's a nice addition to the event system in place in GW2.

GW2's PvE and PvP experiences really do feel a lot different than Rift imo. I have a 50 Mage in Rift and I got to ~ level 30 in GW2 on a couple of characters and I can tell you it really does feel a lot different than Rift in many ways. The WvW, the sPvP, strolling through the world exploring and doing whatever I wanted, and just the overall sense of freedom and options in GW2 really did feel a lot different than the linear questing mixed with an occasional Rift/Rift Event.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Is this a fair assessment? I keep hearing the story and voice acting is somewhat lucklustre, which is concerning me also. 

From what I've seen in beta, yes it is.

But at leastits free.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by Mari2k

From what I've seen in beta, yes it is.

But at leastits free.

It's free?

Fact: When you complete a Dynamic Event that changes the map you are in a new instance of the map.

You should seriously consider playing a game you talk about before posting facts. It would avoid you this kind of embarassing situation, since this pretty much proves that you either didn't play the game at all, or that you are not telling the truth in order to make the game look bad.

There are no instances in the world, no phasing. The result of the dynamic event you just done are visible by everybody else. It's not phasing like WoW. If you freed that outpost from it's centaur invaders, everybody will be able to use the outpost's facilities, and not just the player who completed the "phase", since there's no phase.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    I am afraid that the hype will have the same effect on GW2 as it had on AOC, WH, AION and Tera.

cant speak for all of them

but AOC was missing features like DX10, Drunken Brawling, 200 v 200 sieges

Warhammer cut out a few classes and 2 player cities before launch

whats GW2 lacking thats being oversold ?

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You really can´t compare GW2 to any WoW clone.

Some randoms compared SW:TOR to WoW even while it's a different genre, etc. Personally I think GW2 will be crap. Pvp get soon old, almost everything instances, but lets see in one year and I might get it.  Hope it won't be overruned with another overhyped mmo like in this case ;)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

Originally posted by lickm3
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You really can´t compare GW2 to any WoW clone.

Some randoms compared SW:TOR to WoW even while it's a different genre, etc. Personally I think GW2 will be crap. Pvp get soon old, almost everything instances, but lets see in one year and I might get it.  Hope it won't be overruned with another overhyped mmo like in this case ;)

More lies... seriously, can't you guys say you don't like the game without posting lies about it?

Over 95% of the game is not instanced. What is instanced is personal story parts, PvE dungeons and structured PvP. Everything else is a huge world everybody shares.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Iickm3

Setting does not equal another genre. SWTOR is a lot like WoW in it's core design... Almost identical without the cutscenes. I'm not sure where you got that GW2 is all instanced, maybe you are confusing it with GW1? I'm also not sure what the last sentence was supposed to be.

Have fun none the less in the game you like.