Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell just happened?!

Comments

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Hmm I still haven't finished all the quests in Egypt, Blue Mountain, or last 2 zones in Transylvania.  I have been doing other stuff in my limited play time so I guess I had better get on to those some day.

I did run through and redo a lot of the earlier missions this weekend for the celebration thing.  I'm sitting about 15 on the leaderboard for celebration missions to.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Are you telling me I can dodge bullets?

<.< Hehe, had to.

Anyways, was interested in the game, was just waiting it out, hopefully not seeing threads like this one...

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by MMOSavant
    Originally posted by Fraugnutz
    Hrrrrmm,  I still have tons of content to play through...How could this be? Perhaps its because I have other hobbies that occupy my time. Perhaps its because I have a family which also demands a certain amount of my attention. FFS, people tear through content -spending what must be an obscene amount of time in front of a computer screen- then start crying because they have exhausted all there is too do. You know what? The simple fact that I still have a lot of content to complete , that I have not yet been jaded by the "limited content" makes whatever point youre trying to make here entirely moot  and without merit to me , or anyone else, who takes their time or has other shit to do besides play a video game. I will wager, that a large majority of players fall into the camp of "casual" or "still have content to complete"... Seriously, does this genre exist only for those people who seem to have nothing else to do...? I think not. 

It used to, but you're right it doesn't these days, developers rely on people having busy lives and not realising that after six months they will be finished with the game. We've all got families, jobs etc... but I don't think it's about not having a life outside of the game, it's about the escapism of forgeing a life in the game, that's something all of these themepark games lack and what (for me) mmorpgs were always about. To be honest the less 'playtime' I have to myself, the more of an immersive world I want. You still have content to play through, good for you, but I want a world to inhabit when I log in and that has nothing to do with the amount of time I spend playing.

I'm guessing you haven't played a sandbox mmo, or UO or EQ, or maybe you've forgotten what it was like. You could spend your life in Norrath and Felucca. It would be nice to at least still have that option to do that. The problem with all these games is that their is no immersive environment where players can create their own worlds and stories. Wouldn't it have been great to join the Kingsmouth citizens defence? Wouldn't it be great to have that makeshift fort player run? The citizens of Kingsmouth have a whole in game life going on that we can only participate in on the games terms.

I miss the old days more and more with every new themepark release.

Yup, the idea of a "virtual world" was always the thing that attracted me to MMO's. Visiting a museum and looking at the exhibits in glass cages is fun (themepark), but going on an archeological expedition and digging up those exhibits is truly immersive (sandbox).

However, it seems that the majority of MMO players nowadays don't want virtual worlds, they want online multiplayer games where they can login and have instant fun, which usually consists of combat of one type or another, coupled with constant rewards and rapid character progression.

MMO developers are realising that since they have allowed players to level very fast in modern MMO's, they have no hope of creating new content fast enough to keep players occupied. So we will be seeing some sandbox elements creeping back into themeparks in future.

To paraphrase an old saying: "Give a player a quest and you'll keep him busy for an hour. Teach a player to create a quest and you'll keep him busy for years".

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Frankly I still fail to understand how youse guys burn through all the content in every new MMO that releases so fast. Anywhere from 3 days to maybe 2 weeks and BLAM you guys are already maxed out and whining and moaning about no endgame. Franlky I just don't understand. I have been playing MMO's since MMO's came into existence and I have yet to reach lvl max or endgame in a single one. I just don't get it! Maybe it's just me Been playing TERA since release and am only lvl 32 and I have blazed through this one faster than any other mmo in the past..Loving the game and can't wait to get bored and play TSW!
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Frankly I still fail to understand how youse guys burn through all the content in every new MMO that releases so fast. Anywhere from 3 days to maybe 2 weeks and BLAM you guys are already maxed out and whining and moaning about no endgame. Franlky I just don't understand. I have been playing MMO's since MMO's came into existence and I have yet to reach lvl max or endgame in a single one. I just don't get it! Maybe it's just me Been playing TERA since release and am only lvl 32 and I have blazed through this one faster than any other mmo in the past..Loving the game and can't wait to get bored and play TSW!

Holy... you have never gotten a character to max level in any MMORPG ever?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by colddog04

sometimes players can be a bit 'too' hardcore, getting to max level first is always a losing strategy, but then i think its the playing that is the fun part, not the 'levelling'.. maybe thats why it takes me several 'months' to even get a new toon from level 1 to 85 in WoW..image

Originally posted by Phry

sometimes players can be a bit 'too' hardcore, getting to max level first is always a losing strategy, but then i think its the playing that is the fun part, not the 'levelling'.. maybe thats why it takes me several 'months' to even get a new toon from level 1 to 85 in WoW..image

I understand just wanting to play for fun and taking it easy and whatnot. And I think MMORPGs are the perfect medium for people that just like to enjoy the world like both of you seem to.

But I'm still surprised that someone that has been playing MMORPGs for so long has never gotten a character to max level... ever. I don't know, maybe I've got a narrow perspective, but I think at some point I would just say, "this month is the month that I do it." And I'd do it for no other reason than to have done it.

I don't know why it seems so crazy to me.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

And why must "max level" always be a goal for everyone?  When you go to the zoo, do you feel like a failure for not getting to every exhibit in record time?  Do you spend .01 seconds looking at each animal so that you can be sure to get to the next one as fast as humanly possible?  When you go to the pub with friends for a beer, do you hammer down each serving in 30 seconds so that you can be "first" to finish all the beers?  Do you feel like a failure for not single-handedly cleaning out every single keg in the restaurant?  Feel free to play your game that way, but don't expect that everyone wants to do the same. 

Originally posted by strangesands

And why must "max level" always be a goal for everyone?  When you go to the zoo, do you feel like a failure for not getting to every exhibit in record time?  Do you spend .01 seconds looking at each animal so that you can be sure to get to the next one as fast as humanly possible?  When you go to the pub with friends for a beer, do you hammer down each serving in 30 seconds so that you can be "first" to finish all the beers?  Do you feel like a failure for not single-handedly cleaning out every single keg in the restaurant?  Feel free to play your game that way, but don't expect that everyone wants to do the same. 

I don't think it should be...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Isn't really a game out there that doesn't have the very same threads.  Particularly new ones, that haven't had years to generate additional content.

Story goes:  Finished game is 2 hours, now no end game content.

Since every game has the same issue (theme parks in particular), the issue really becomes one of what game you want to continue to play what they do have.

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by strangesands

I don't think it should be...

That's good -- by the way some folks post, you'd think it was the only thing that really mattered, perhaps with a close second being, "why haven't you min/maxed your character yet?"  A game is a leisure time activity, and some people like play competitively and some like to just enjoy the atmosphere and tinker.  Yeah, I've brought a few characters to max level but have never felt like that was a goal in and of itself, despite friends who manage get frustrated that I've decided not on hop the gear treadmill with them.  Level-free, skill based systems are the answer, and I think TSW is at least a step in the right direction.  GW2 is pushing player skill over levels and gear, and this too is a step in the right direction.  We'll see how it progresses.

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

Yup.  Game over for me also.  I never even got past egypt questing.  I met some people running polaris and poof- next thing you know we running HM's and when I got geared and tons of sp/ap bored of that I tried to go back to questing and its palm-to-face boring.  I love the quests - good stores and stuff- but man, once you geared and have a good spec (Healer for HM and solo Spec was Blade / Blood dmg shield with full heal gear) its faceroll.  Can kill anything- even world boss's with enough time lol. I got bored.  cancelled before first month was up.  

Im back playing EQ2- Started some new toons and having a blast- its easy as heck but one thing about eq2 is there are like 40 -100?(or more) dungeons and tons of places to explore.  Honestly, im kind of buggered about current games these days only having 6 dungeons/  instances that they just repeat over and over and call them elite and hardmode.  IMO games should have 3-4 dungeons / instances (for people who like to group) per leveling range while you level up.  

Anyways, yups I agree with OP.  Interest in this game just fell off cliff once I got to the end of month.  I knew about 2 weeks before the end of the first month that this game was lacking content galore (I was like "is this it?"-  I feel bad I didnt get all the questing done cause im normally a "do every quest" type of person but I just lost interest- to easy.  

Was interesting and I did like the game, Lath

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Lathial

Yup.  Game over for me also.  I never even got past egypt questing.  I met some people running polaris and poof- next thing you know we running HM's and when I got geared and tons of sp/ap bored of that I tried to go back to questing and its palm-to-face boring.  I love the quests - good stores and stuff- but man, once you geared and have a good spec (Healer for HM and solo Spec was Blade / Blood dmg shield with full heal gear) its faceroll.  Can kill anything- even world boss's with enough time lol. I got bored.  cancelled before first month was up.  

Im back playing EQ2- Started some new toons and having a blast- its easy as heck but one thing about eq2 is there are like 40 -100?(or more) dungeons and tons of places to explore.  Honestly, im kind of buggered about current games these days only having 6 dungeons/  instances that they just repeat over and over and call them elite and hardmode.  IMO games should have 3-4 dungeons / instances (for people who like to group) per leveling range while you level up.  

Anyways, yups I agree with OP.  Interest in this game just fell off cliff once I got to the end of month.  I knew about 2 weeks before the end of the first month that this game was lacking content galore (I was like "is this it?"-  I feel bad I didnt get all the questing done cause im normally a "do every quest" type of person but I just lost interest- to easy.  

You cant run hard modes with gear from polaris.

Also you might want to stick to quest hub games if you dont like exploring for quests.  Theres lots of missions and stuff to do but again its not presenting in super obvious quest hub format.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by BigRock411
    Originally posted by Lathial

You cant run hard modes with gear from polaris.

Also you might want to stick to quest hub games if you dont like exploring for quests.  Theres lots of missions and stuff to do but again its not presenting in super obvious quest hub format.

Think he means it did not take him that long to gear up from the start.

Also,  all the meaty missions with cutscenes are marked plain as day on your map.  Only the side missions need to be discovered and they mainly are just 1-10 minute missions and most are in the vicinity of the main missions anyway.  

Prove me wrong though, since I never seen one that was not just a quick kill or fetch quest.

BOOYAKA!

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

You can't have endless story, pure and simple. People complain Bioware always has the same story with the same side-characters but that is because there are only so many stories. Boy meets girls, shit happens, one or more life, happy or not.

Recent MMO's have focussed on stories because people like stories (no sandbox MMO ever made it big compared with WoW) and that means they have finite content. When you combine that with users who rush through content in 48 hour plus sesssions (those that don't die) the life of a game is limitted.

Not much you can do about it. You can only add so much scripted content and you can't stop people from rushing.

The rest of us better just ignore the rushers and play at our own pace.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by sfc1971

You can't have endless story, pure and simple. People complain Bioware always has the same story with the same side-characters but that is because there are only so many stories. Boy meets girls, shit happens, one or more life, happy or not.

Recent MMO's have focussed on stories because people like stories (no sandbox MMO ever made it big compared with WoW) and that means they have finite content. When you combine that with users who rush through content in 48 hour plus sesssions (those that don't die) the life of a game is limitted.

Not much you can do about it. You can only add so much scripted content and you can't stop people from rushing.

The rest of us better just ignore the rushers and play at our own pace.

well said

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Humanite
    every TSW thread reads like a SWTOR thread now. hatred for all complainers, denial of any bugs being discussed and denial that the game is stale with no replayability. at least swtor hit some type of sales target, Funcom can't even manage 450K and the free weekend was not good.

9 posts, all copy/paste troll posts, i do often wonder what kind of person gets their jollies from repeating the same thing over and over in this manner?

SWTOR was a AAA mmorpg, TSW is not. They are different games with different budgets and different target audiences.

The amusing thing is your not wrong, your obnoxoius, childish and inflammatory, but not wrong. The game does have it's problems, there are a few bugs but no more than any other mmorpg and the game content isn't particularly replayable, the skill system means alts are pointless so no replay value there. For your main character the xp is too low in lower zones to bother going back and rerunning missions there and once you have done them, the novelty has gone.

The game is far from stale though, it is what it is, a story driven themepark mmorpg set in a fantastic world, brilliantly created, hauntingly atmospheric and very immersive. It's another semi-linear mmorpg essentially at this moment in time, but as to what the future holds for TSW, it's just too early to tell, it's only 1 month old after all.

Only one person is in denial here, and it's the above poster.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

It is definitely a wonderful game.  The runthrough from the beginning to the end is very deep and does a lot of things that other games do not.  It had great quests, a very good story line, and actually provided a challenge.  BUT it is not very replayable.  Once you do everything in it once -- you are essentially done.  A game whose biggest plus is unique storyline/questing is actually hit harder by themepark endgame syndrome than a game that does not have strengths in those areas.  It provides a starker fall-off.  I was very happy to provide bug reports and comments to make the game release as good as it could be, but the game is like a good book.  You finish it and then you put it down until the next book in the series is released. 

What they really should do is have additional investigation quests all over the various maps (not just in transylvania) that provide unique rewards which can help anyone at any level.  The investigation quests would be transitory -- only being there for say two weeks before they put in different ones.  Things that give the feeling of time marching on in the world rather than it being a steady state. 

Having a more or less current-standard dungeon equipment grind just does not suit TSW. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by tank017
    That's theme parks for ya.they all last about a month out of the gate until they start running out of content.Then you must wait for content updates and xpacks.

That's not theme park, so much as the game has too little content in the end game.

WoW, which is kind of the quintessential themepark MMO, had me spending 3 months just to hit max level, and another 6 months of socializing, running dungeons, trying to break into an MC raid, saving up for an epic mount, etc..  I remember having lunch with a coworker who was in a guild trying to kill Onyxia.  Every week, he'd talk about what new phase they managed to get her to before having to call it.

Of course, this was back before you could just watch a youtube video of how to beat a boss... 

If people stopped trying to simply consume content, and started simlpy enjoying the game, developers would probably bring back some of the older styles of gameplay that work on a slower pace.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by centkin

It is definitely a wonderful game.  The runthrough from the beginning to the end is very deep and does a lot of things that other games do not.  It had great quests, a very good story line, and actually provided a challenge.  BUT it is not very replayable.  Once you do everything in it once -- you are essentially done.  A game whose biggest plus is unique storyline/questing is actually hit harder by themepark endgame syndrome than a game that does not have strengths in those areas.  It provides a starker fall-off.  I was very happy to provide bug reports and comments to make the game release as good as it could be, but the game is like a good book.  You finish it and then you put it down until the next book in the series is released. 

What they really should do is have additional investigation quests all over the various maps (not just in transylvania) that provide unique rewards which can help anyone at any level.  The investigation quests would be transitory -- only being there for say two weeks before they put in different ones.  Things that give the feeling of time marching on in the world rather than it being a steady state. 

Having a more or less current-standard dungeon equipment grind just does not suit TSW. 

Well, based on what Ragnar Tonquist has said, the monthly "issues" will feature new quests sprinkled throughout older zones as well as new zones, dungeons, raids, etc.  I think the intention is to change the world over time and actually replace content in zones as events transpire, evolving the storyline.  I'm really hoping they succeed -- it would be great to go back to older zones as a more experienced character and deal with more complex and difficult quests or events.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Unfortunately its how themeparks roll. It depends on developer generated content way too much and they generally don't have good pvp which is one alternative the other is a more streamlined approach to adding/changing content.

You will probably be called at fault by some once they read this so be ready for a lot of negativity coming your way.

In the words of Rick Pitino who coached a losing squad: (larry bird ain't walking through that door folks, Kevin Mchale, Robert Parish, aint walkin through that door)

Ultima 2.0 isn't walking through this door folks... Everquest 2.0, Anarchy Online 2.0, DAoC 2.0 ain't walkin through this door...

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I haven't played TSW yet but I have had the same experience with most MMO's.  The only ones that really stuck where EVE, Vanguard and Fallen Earth.  The reason is crafting, housing, mining and development.  If they want to keep subs then they need to have a time sink that goes into something a player can discover or develop and build. 

GW2 is good for me because its BTP.  I won't feel cranky if I max out or complete most content as I am not paying a sub.  So I will log in and out when I feel the need. 

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I love the game and have played from the beginning.  I have been taking my time.  

The game is an infant yet...more and more content will be forthcoming and eventually this game will be the seasoned game that EQ2 is now. 

I remember the infant EQ2 with fondness.  :) 

This is a game for players who have a sense of wonder. savor the atmosphere and have problem-solving skills.  

This last weekend, free to the public, I noticed an extreme difference in chat.   There were many asking for the answers to quests instead of taking the time (and experiencing the deliciousness) of solving quests themselves.

The NOW generation is different...they have little patience, they want the 200 year old OAK over the acorn.  

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by Zooce
    Originally posted by bcbully TSW has the best crafting system in the business imo. 
    I can't be the only one who finds this statement amusing.

In that the crafting system does not detract from the game it's pretty good! I despise when crafting is made important. I'm relieved that this one requires no effort, and it produces items commensurate with the effort required.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    3rd time through Transylvania? Wow, I just got there...and the few buddies of mine that play are all making fun of me because I "Play too much". Themepark MMOs aren't designed to be played for 40 hours a week gang. Shocker, I know. 

Joined - July 2004