Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 PvP vs WoW PvP

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

For me to even consider the game it has to offer marginally better PvP. Say what you want about the PvP in WoW, but it is actually some of the best MMO PvP I've experienced.

I want to hear some real responses, so the posters that only praise GW2 all day long need not apply, since I already know they will immediately say "GW2 PvP is superior without a doubt."

Same goes for people that only bash the game.

Pretty much asking this because I don't want to spend the $60 to try the PvP to see that it's lacking/boring/imbalanced/useless etc.

I want to hear from people that have current experience with WoW PvP and have played GW2 excluding the earlier mentioned players.

Also, I know about dodge, which isn't a big selling point for me. Seems like more of "that extra gimmick" new games are known to toss in.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I never really got a chance to play PvP (WvWvW) in beta cus it was just too damn laggy when more than 20 players are fighting and there's partical effects all over the shop - its hard to see what is happeing and worst of all your FPS tank right down.  Think when wintergrasp when it first opened - it was like that.

This is just my experience ofc others might vary, but Anet need to go a long way to improve the performance of the game else people just wont bother with WvWvW.

As to the PvP when performance is good I still prefer WoW's mostly because of characters controls, GW2 as with GW1 characters feel floaty, responsive but floaty.

• Bombay1361Bombay1361 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by jusomdude

For me to even consider the game it has to offer marginally better PvP. Say what you want about the PvP in WoW, but it is actually some of the best MMO PvP I've experienced.

I honestly don't know really anything about GW2 pvp, but to say that WoW is the best pvp you have ever experienced in an mmo is a god damn shame.  WoW PVP use to be good before BGs were implemented into the game and took away from the world pvp.  Go play Darkfall Online, DAOC, or Ultima Online.  Then you can experience TRUE pvp

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

one thing about GW2, for an unreleased game.. there is a LOT of info on every system in the game.

here is quite a bit of info: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME

on top of that there are countless youtube videos showing hours upon hours of WvW and sPvP gameplay.

you should be able to find out from any of that if you like the game or not, there aren't really any secrets about what is involved in the pvp in gw2.

i'm not discouraging conversation, just handing out my advice on the off chance you haven't looked around at what info is available.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

this is almost impossible to give an adequate answer

you are asking people to sell you on why YOU will prefer another games PVP

wait for a GW2 trial if you dont to spend cash

personally, from my limited experience, Guild Wars PVP from 2005 was more fun and balanced than WOW

but thats my experience... and may not match to your preferences

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I'm still playing WoW only to do some PvP while waiting for GW2.

The biggest difference between the two is that in GW2, you can't get "uber" gear with 5000+ resilience which makes you a god compared to less geared characters. The gear dependency in GW2 is very low. So if one sucks at WoW and needs gear to compensate, in GW2 he won't have that easy mode solution and he will have to improve his playing instead.

Second difference is no healers. Yeah, no god mode characters with 4500+ resilience healing themself for ages while 2+ dps bash them, and stopping people from completing objectives. No "proper" tanks eithers. Player skill is the most important factor to survive, not stats or specialization choices.

Third is world vs world large scale PvP. And I'm not talking about AV or even Wintergrasp here. I mean real siege warface on a HUGE map (there are 4 maps part of the global world vs world PvP area, and each map is like 4+ times the size of Wintergraps), when you build engines to attack and/or defend, where you have to capture resource points in order to build your siege engines and ensure the resource caravans arrive at your building point safely. And then you take down casle walls using catapults, balistas, siege golems, rams... that you have build with your friends. And you gain really interesting bonuses for your whole server instead of a lousy 5% xp bonus to just a part of the world.

There are no arenas in GW2. The smallest size is 8 vs 8. No imbalanced 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 crap which promotes nerf that affect the whole game.

TLDR version:

- if you enjoy being able to have a huge gear advantage to crush noobs, and you need that to "win", you possibly won't like GW2.

- if what you enjoy is "PvP in a bowl", aka arenas, then you possibly won't like GW2.

- if you enjoy playing a god mode healer, or tank, you possible won't like GW2. Same if you enjoyed ganking people on a perma stealth character, there is no permanent stealth in GW2.

- if you like PvP (structured or large scale) to rely on player (your) skill rather than on gear differences or specific class specializations, you possible will enjoy GW2.

- if you loved old school AV, or enjoyed Wintergraps, but always thought they were somewhat lacking and not large scale enough, then you will love GW2's world vs world PvP. This is medieval warfare, not just some mini game you can do once every 2 hours.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64

well, the things that GW2 PvP has going for it is that gear is irrelevant and that you can jump right into PvP. Now obviously all the classes aren't balanced and WvW is not something I have any interest in. I stopped playing WoW simply because then need to grind gear in both PvE and PvP just to be on equal level was tedious as hell. Then you had different comps which were OP and FotM which meant you had to switch comp to compete at the highest level. Because no matter how good you were, if your comp wasn't perfect, you were screwed. 

What WoW does better than GW2 and every other MMORPG out there to date, is the amazing movement and feel to your character. Your camera is perfect and very costumizable as well. But overall it has such a fluid combat system and the smoothest running/fighting animations I have experienced. It's always been one of the reason I came back to the game. No game feels as good as WoW does. GW2 feels far too clunky and slow. The dodge spices it up, but the awkward movement where you feel like your on ice half the time is not something I enjoy or am okey with in the least. 

As far as skills required. I don't know, but when I play WoW I feel like the individual skill-cap is far higher. I feel like there is more pressure on my performance and I feel like I alone in a 5v5 can change the outcome by a perfect fake-cast, or calling a great switch and interrupting a cast using focus. GW2 seems more like you're distributing the work and in that way required to rely more on your team. Harder to push the blame on one person. In WoW the second you lose you know exactly why and who fucked up. In GW2 it can be tons of different things. 

My biggest issue overall with Guild Wars 2 is that there are no healers. I love having healers, tanks and dps. I understand that there is nothing wrong with not having it, and that it was a choice. But this is not the ''evolution'' of MMORPG gaming. This is a choice they made which I don't like. I always loved healing and the game style which came with it. 

Oh and I must add that the arena designes are very different in the two games. WoW is strictly deathmatches and in GW2 it's capture bases, and apparently more game modes will be put in. But sadly I really can't stand the fact that there are PvE mobs in a structured enviroment. They not only give invidivdual buffs when killed, but also large chunks of points. It's probably not a big deal to some, but I don't want PvE in my PvP. It's that simple. 

Also mind you that I only compared TBC (didnt play wotlk or the new one) arenas vs GW2 arenas. I don't enjoy large scale battles which is a big part of GW2 and was a decent part of WoW at one point. Either way, I've bought GW2 and will play it until I can get my hands on Forge. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166522941/forge

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Played Arenas in WoW. GW2 PvP is much more enjoyable thanks to the lack of healer and tank classes. Also the lack of gear dependance is refreshing. I always found GW1 PvP better than any other MMOish offering anyway, as it was entirely based on skill and strategy, rather than gear.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by Bombay1361

I honestly don't know really anything about GW2 pvp, but to say that WoW is the best pvp you have ever experienced in an mmo is a god damn shame.  WoW PVP use to be good before BGs were implemented into the game and took away from the world pvp.  Go play Darkfall Online, DAOC, or Ultima Online.  Then you can experience TRUE pvp

Played em all. DAoC was my first MMO I played a lot of. I did enjoy the PvP, but it wasn't the holy grail of it that everyone claims. Memory is a bit foggy... (haven't played since 2003) but WoW is an improvement over DAoC IMO. Yes frontier was cool, RR, Darkness Falls, and all that but the PvP had it's flaws. Ridiculous CC abilties most notably. One shotting stealthers, etc.

There's a reason I play WoW now days over DAoC.

For the person who wanted a reason... WoW PvP is actually much more balanced than pretty much anything out there. Aside from the people that just don't know how to play and cry no matter what they play, it really is. Any class/spec can do well, assuming equal gear.

Ah, that's an important point I indeed forgot in my previous post.

GW2 doesn't have insanely overpowered CC. Longest CC is 3 seconds. And everybody gets skills to escape CCs too, if needed. So if you enjoyed stunlocking your prey to death, you may not enjoy GW2 either ;-)

PS: anyone thinking WoW's PvP is the summum of balancing urgently needs to play other games... I like it, or I wouldn't be playing it anymore, but calling it balanced is nonsense. It's all about FOTM classes, and for arenas, the right class combos.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

WoW PvP is actually much more balanced than pretty much anything out there.

have you ever PVPed in the original guild wars?

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I like WoW's combat better, feels more responsive and fluid and I prefer WoW's PVP back in Vanilla before they allowed you to enter Battlegrounds from anywhere, killing world PVP. However now it's a shadow of it's former self and in a sorry state.

I never got on with GW2 though because world PVP doesn't exist, I hate battlegrounds and the keep PVP just feels like DAOC or WAR where it's all about the zerg and that is boring.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

There are simply tons of good, helpful, PvP videos to sift through, in order to get a good idea on what the PvP in GW2 is like. Because asking for opinions won't give you a definitive response, when at least with a video you can piece together the facts. Avid PvP'er Taugrim has somce good GW2 PvP videos, that go fairly in-dpeth into certain builds, mechanics and playstyles...

- Tournament play

- Reviving & Finishing

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I want to hear some real responses, so the posters that only praise GW2 all day long need not apply, since I already know they will immediately say "GW2 PvP is superior without a doubt."

Same goes for people that only bash the game.

Pretty much asking this because I don't want to spend the $60 to try the PvP to see that it's lacking/boring/imbalanced/useless etc.

I want to hear from people that have current experience with WoW PvP and have played GW2 excluding the earlier mentioned players.

Also, I know about dodge, which isn't a big selling point for me. Seems like more of "that extra gimmick" new games are known to toss in.

While the other posters have already said that there is plenty of information about GW2 PvP, i have to say you will not like the PvP in GW2.

If you love WoW PvP you will hate GW2 PvP. 

How do i come to this realization without knowing you ?

WoW caters to the type of PvP that is purposefully lopsided, there will always be someone in a !v! that will be at an advantage and someone at a disadvantage. WoW PvP is based on gear and 1 upmanship over skill. For that reason you will hate GW2 PvP because the PvP in GW2 is based around equal footing for each player, but unequal footing when it comes to a players (lack of a better word) skill.

So since you claimed to "want" alot of things from us, i give you my decision for you, Stick with WoW its what you want in a PvP game and eventually you will get to play PandaPokemon with my 5 year old neighbor.

Lolipops !

• BatercusBatercus Member Posts: 23
    I can tell you having done both Arenas and BG extensively in WoW. GW2 is a different beast entirely, but it is a fun and well build system that will thrive. 

• jaqvioletjaqviolet Member Posts: 9

I love pretty much everything about GW2,

BUT...

I was not expecting anything from pvp, I was mainly interested in pve.  PvP has been kind of a side thing for me in MMO's (I stick to SCII for serious competition), but after having tried the GW2 pvp, I think I might actually sink some serious time into it once the game comes out.

I like bgs in wow, but most of them are somewhat broken.  Objective based pvp is way more interesting to me than deathmatch.  I didn't like arena's in wow, because it required you to memorize a substantial amount of information about each class, and each class has a crap ton of abilities.  I also didn't like how restricting arena is because you need to run specific viable comps with viable players and you can't flip flop around, which meant not getting to play with the people I wanted to play with for the most part, as we didn't have the right class composition, or there was too large of a skill disparity.  Bg's can actually be quite successful so long as your team grasps how the objectives work, you don't actually need twitch reflexes and 30+ keybinds to be successful.

So, back to guild wars 2.  GW2 pvp actually feels a lot more like a first person shooter:  You have a small team vs another small team trying to capture and hold objectives as well as bonus objectives that vary on each map.  I like that they play out more like a bg because dying doesn't end the match, it just gives the other team some points and a slight advantage.  

I also like that the damage isn't ridiculous.  Each class can mitigate and avoid damage so you won't drop in 3 hits like you could have in the past depending on what patch you were pvp'ing in as wow.  

I think the pvp is just as complex, if not more complex than wow, but it actually gives you a chance to figure things out since you won't die immediately because you popped a cd at the wrong time.  If you play bad, you will die, it just won't be in 3 seconds, which I think is a much better way to approach pvp.

Balance will stabalize in GW2 because of the way the stats work.  You won't have a constantly fluctuating gear score, the gear treadmill is basically removed from the game, so if you have the skill, you will have results immediately, not after farming your resilience set for hours on end.

As far as WvWvW goes, nobody really knows how that is going to play out.  It's based around DAoC's system, but time will only tell if it ends up working as well as DAoC did.  I'm really interested in WvW, but the concrete evidence will come only after the game has been out for a while.

For $60, I think the structured pvp is worth the price of admission, the combat is really engaging and responsive.  I can almost guarantee that server stability is going to be rocky for the first week, and they aren't going to have WvW implemented in it's intended 2 week cycle until server populations balance out.  If you are really on the fence, wait a week or two if you absolutely expect a smooth start.  This game will run smoothly, it ran very nicely for me during beta, but the massive influx of players at launch always throws a wrench in server stability.

oh, and combat is fun in this game.  For me, that is more important than anything else.  My characters feel very responsive, and the majority of the abilities can be used on the move.  There is a ton of flexibility with each class, giving you the chance to play the class the way you want to, instead of being required to play a certain spec.

I like large sclae PvP, but from my experience with it, no one listens to anyone else and everyone thinks they are the best armchair general to ever grace whatever they happen to be playing. WvWvW sounds fun to me but I'm still unsure about it. AV is my favorite BG in WoW, but that gets boring after a few hours. Still think it's the best map assuming there's actual PvP going on and not everyone just zergs to the boss for the quick win/loss.

I'm concerned about how the combat feels too. I've heard different things. Like a dude here said it was floaty. That's also one of the things I like about WoW. The control and responsiveness is awesome.

I also like to be rewarded... doesn't necessarily have to be gear, but something other than a buff or what have you would be nice.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jaqvioletjaqviolet Member Posts: 9
    dodge is great btw

I also like to be rewarded... doesn't necessarily have to be gear, but something other than a buff or what have you would be nice.

You get gear from PvP in GW2, but it's not "better" gear. It's more "badass" looking gear. Gear won't turn you into a god, like resilience does in WoW, but when you wear the top PvP gear, everybody will know that you are someone skilled at playing the game. Actually, even more so since you didn't win just from having better gear, but only because you're a better player.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

You get gear from PvP in GW2, but it's not "better" gear. It's more "badass" looking gear. Gear won't turn you into a god, like resilience does in WoW, but when you wear the top PvP gear, everybody will know that you are someone skilled at playing the game. Actually, even more so since you didn't win just from having better gear, but only because you're a better player.

Relevant

you may find helpful opinions of WOW/GW2 pvp at this thread

So I've Been PvPing in Guild Wars 2...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6147286199

Do you get the gear from the Arena type matches or the WvWvW or both?

Do you get the gear from the Arena type matches or the WvWvW or both?

Both. In sPvP/Tournaments you earn better looking gear with no stats on them. In WvW you occasionally get gear drops for killing players and badges. Badges can be turn in for WvW gear (which can also be used in PvE).

Originally posted by Nadia
    WoW PvP is actually much more balanced than pretty much anything out there.

have you ever PVPed in the original guild wars?

Played a little on a friends account. Never tried the pvp though, never bought the game cause it wasn't a true MMO, which is also important.

Don't have much of a like for non MMO games besides a few.