Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is GW2 basically a slightly improved RIFT?

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
Is this a fair assessment? I keep hearing the story and voice acting is somewhat lucklustre, which is concerning me also. 

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    game is nothing like Rift.. not sure where you heard that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65
    How about you research the game first?  Thanks.
  • spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508
    its nothing like rift. I hadnt heard there was a problem with voice acting or story. It seemed fine to me.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Not really, go to their site and get more info. There is also a sticky thread with info here.

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337506/Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.html

This is a very long read, and some of the info is outdated, but it's still a very good compliation of how the game works and what it's about. Give it a look.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

lol rift , rift sucks they have a few dedicated fans on this site but thats about it . Guild Wars 2 is leagues better then Rift ever was or is. Its funny how after Guild Wars 2 releases all the information on their world vs world here comes rift with a revamped map with 3 faction pvp....

This is not even a fair assessment to compare guild wars 2 . Combat story pvp all leagues better then rift ever was.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

i'd also suggest his videos for more info on PVE

http://www.youtube.com/user/CaraEmm/videos?view=0

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Tutu2
    Is this a fair assessment? I keep hearing the story and voice acting is somewhat lucklustre, which is concerning me also. 

You really can´t compare GW2 to any WoW clone.

And story and voice acting are not lackluster, its just a different style then we got used to in SWTOR and TSW, but its still far beyound what Rift delivers. Some of the story parts are a bit generic, but overall it provides a good beckground for character immersion. I like how they do the Personal story, and the stories the Dynamic events telll feel just so much more realistic because how these events work.

All other components like combat, Dynamic open world, PvP, dungeons are on a whole different level then rift.  And then there is

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

Far from it. Idk if you have yet but take a look at some of the sylvari starter personal story quests. Take a look at the skill system as well. Very different. The concept of rifts popping up may well feel like the dynamic events but other than that they're pretty different. 

Might just be me but I feel like this starter zone sells the game and gives a good indication of what the rest of the game might be like. Mind you though, even though it seems like they on seem to emphasive on personal story like SwTOR they don't but yah here's a link to the sylvari starter mission video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUBSWZhWLVA

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

I will put it this way....

I got a 6 month sub to Rift about month before the first Beta weekend event, thinking it would fill the void until GW2 release. I have not touched Rift since then because I just could not bring myself to play anymore. Stupid maybe but there it is. They are nothing alike and only people that  have not tried it or even watched the masses of youtube vids would think so or believe it when someone says so.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by x5100

Far from it. Idk if you have yet but take a look at some of the sylvari starter personal story quests. Take a look at the skill system as well. Very different. The concept of rifts popping up may well feel like the dynamic events but other than that they're pretty different. 

Might just be me but I feel like this starter zone sells the game and gives a good indication of what the rest of the game might be like. Mind you though, even though it seems like they on seem to emphasive on personal story like SwTOR they don't but yah here's a link to the sylvari starter mission video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUBSWZhWLVA

Mmmm, yes and no.

From what we know the higher level zones start to use less renown hearts and more events.

There's a bunch of hearts in the early zones so people can have a clear path at the start, learn the ropes and get an idea of what to look for / do.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

the voice acting is fine, although i am not a fan of the way they implement the cut scenes.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65
    [mod edit]

Guild Wars 2 is based on a semi-underground game known as "Guild Wars".  In this game, you explore Tyria while trying to finish quests and grow more powerful.  Epic and revolutionary stuff.  In this "Sequel" known only as "Guild Wars 2", it continues the great lore set down in the first one (which probably did NOT copy Rift, you'll have to check with the Rift devs directly though for confirmation) and brings it into a non-instanced world with lots of other players roaming around.

They have a pretty basic site, but you can check it out and dig for information (if you're lucky enough to find it).  I BELIEVE it's guildwars2.com, but it's hard to tell.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    well since I disliked Rift and got bored pretty quicky, I sure hope not.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Very different from RIFT in many, many ways.  It's not a quest-hub, tab-target, raid/gear grind MMO.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

GW2 is light years ahead of Rift. Rift's Rifts are a basic form of Dynamic content. GW2 eveolves Dynamic Content way beyond Warhammer PQs and Rift's Rifts, managing to truly achieve the illusion of a living, organic world. In every other element of MMO game design, world space and content, GW2 trumps Rift.

I liked Rift for a month or two, but Rifts were all basically the same and it was pretty obvious even during beta that there were not enough game zones for long term play. The factional split of the world space greatly amplified those shortcomings.

GW2 zones are much bigger and there are many more of them, (25 PvE zones at launch, excluding the six massive cities). Dynamic Events make up the majority of the PvE content and there is great variety in those Dynamic Events. There is so much content here that even after 129+ hours of play testing, I'm in awe of the massive amount of world space and content I still have to look forward to.

GW2 also has tremendous production value, superb art direction and a wider range of well presented MMO features and game play.

Rift may have given us a small hint of the potential of dynamic content, but the two games are not at all compareable. GW2 is in a league of it's own. (Just to be clear, GW2 has been in development for almost 5 1/2 years and the decision to base the game on Dynamic Content was made before production of the game actually began. GW2 didn't take PQs and Rifts as inspiration. Arenanet took the same concept of Dynamic Content and developed it much, much more fully than the competition).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I like Rift alot, but after playing GW2 I couldn't go back to Rift. GW2 is in a whole different league really. I still like Trion and what they're doing over there, but it's like night and day for me.

Come on 8/25. This has been a hellish wait already and I wasn't even a big fan until the 3rd beta weekend recently. I can't imagine how you guys & gals feel who have been waiting years...

• MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63

I think people referencing GW2 to Rift is because of the open grouping these games do, WAR as well.  The world always does feel alive and can change if yo do not react in time, the same goes for GW2, hovever, GW2 just took these tools of open instancing/dynamic events, and put it to better use in their game.  Same can be said about WAR.  They all require teamwork to a degree, and all try to get players from soloing to joining the open group in the area, with the press of a button/or not.

What do you think?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Both games are fantasy games, have levels and DEs.

Rifts DEs are however just random spawns that you need to kill while you quests while GW2s are complicated and instead of questing.

The games feels nothing the same to play, but there are some basic likenesses, but GW2 is closer to DaoC and AC than Rift. Not that close, but closer.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Loke666

Both games are fantasy games, have levels and DEs.

Rifts DEs are however just random spawns that you need to kill while you quests while GW2s are complicated and instead of questing.

The games feels nothing the same to play, but there are some basic likenesses, but GW2 is closer to DaoC and AC than Rift. Not that close, but closer.

I am actually running through this gameworld with my old EQ feeling, the feeling of discovering things just heyound the next corner.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I like Rift alot, but after playing GW2 I couldn't go back to Rift. GW2 is in a whole different league really. I still like Trion and what they're doing over there, but it's like night and day for me.

Come on 8/25. This has been a hellish wait already and I wasn't even a big fan until the 3rd beta weekend recently. I can't imagine how you guys & gals feel who have been waiting years...

The funny thing is I had it written off as another WOW clone when I saw it was kind of steampunkish. I was really just waiting on World Of Darkness and was on the SWTOR forums before beta pondering if it would be total garbage or not. It was garbage and WOD is basically vaporware. Then I looked at the actual info on GW2 and realized it was more like Chronicles of Spellborn than WOW, at least as far as some mechanics and psudo similarities in story telling.  It magnifies what I saw in TCOS with sheer magnitude however, Black Citadel is #$%@#% Gigantic, is so bad ass it makes you proud to be a Charr.

Rift is just a its core another gear grind. It has different ways to grind that gear but its all the same nerve wracking forced progression crap I have learned to hate.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I am actually running through this gameworld with my old EQ feeling, the feeling of discovering things just heyound the next corner.

Or an old LP text based mud from back in the day with story driven encouters. Funny I can still classify mmorpgs on which type of mud they remind me of. WOW clones are all basically Diki/ROM base mud code ressurection alter gear grinds. GW2 is getting closer to something like Batmud.. well at least how I remember batmud from over 10 years ago.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

World of GW2 (Tyria) is much much more alive. Everytime you log in, you find yourself doing something fun and unique, gaining experience for every little thing you accomplish, the amount of detail the world has is crazy. 

Game really gives you the feeling that you need do a quest not because your character needs to get bulky but because you are really needed as a hero. And you dont even have to read a giant wall of text for each quest to get the feeling. (Rift loses this touch really quick)

Also, thanks to the sidekicking system (it adjusts your level down when you go into a lower level area) other zones you haven't explored do not lose their fun as you cannot steamroll the creatures. (the low level content you miss while leveling loses its meaning in rift, which is a big minus for people who doesnt like alts)

PvP is really balanced which is a huge advantage and have many variations for both casual and competitive players. (god the forums of rift... are they still crying about rogue buffs? :P)

Rifts world felt cheesy after the first zone, quests were reptitive and felt grindy. Rift has great polish but the content through the max level content is so shallow and feels like a filler episode of an anime. GW2's endgame really does start at level 2. 

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Games are similar actually. Rift has a better character builder with the soul system, and a more typical end-game raid structure.   GW2 has WvWvW and focuses more on you exploring the world.
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Painlezz

LoL... Haven't checked MMORPG for a few days, first thread I see is spam of GW2 fanboys.

Can this game just get released already so we can all watch and see how it isn't actually Jesus and will likely not only fall very short of WoW numbers but quickly die off like every single other MMO release since wow?

Its not Jesus, its the best mmo that has come out since vanilla WoW (IMO).

It took WoW years to reach the subs it has and to expect a B2P game to get there on release is idiotic.

Tell me how a game that has no monthly fee and is better than every other mmo out there is going to die off?