Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Evangelizing Die2Nite

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the things we like to do at MMORPG.com is bring indie games to our readers' collective attention. In our latest Independency column, we showcase Die2Nite in a unique and fun way. Check it out!

Since first discovering the game a few years back, I've done everything I could to evangelize Die2Nite. Why? Because it's a damn awesome game that deserves more attention and a game that exists in a somewhat unfortunate position. Die2Nite, in spite of being brilliant in its own quiet, horrible way, has a problem: it's a browser game.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's Independency: Evangelizing Die2Nite.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Hmmm.  Sounds mildly interesting.  If I remeber when I get home tonight, I'll check this out
  • g0jackg0jack Member UncommonPosts: 6
    This actually sounds pretty cool. I'll try to get in on it with some friends, I'm sure they'll make things interesting.
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Legacy of blood...they don't write modules like that anymore.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182
    Another article you had several monthes ago "No Elves Allowed" I think the column was called turned me onto this game.    I still play it.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Interesting, also sadly a good representation of humanity.  Strip away our facade of law and civility and people would mostly all betray and do evil to each other.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Browser/Flash games will ALWAYS be restrictive mainly because it is all loaded into that browser and not on your HD.This will limit the bandwidth used ,already a noticeable problem just getting PC developers to open up the bandwidth for better over all game play.

This restriction alone spells MANY weak points to teh game,not just graphical but in models and over all quality and items loaded.

This game is more imo like a MUD.It does not have an imnitial appeal factor to me,although the scxripted video might hook some people in.

Video

This guy likes the game but even he has a hard time making this game sound anything other than boring.

I do like Indie games getting coverage,but this is 2012,we need to see a lot higher quality than this game.Fallen Earth was an example of an Indie game that at least had some quality to it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

if maybe they all didnt take away lots of features and make you pay $13/month!!! then more would like em. $13/month??? wtf thats what a high quality mmo costs.

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey
    Interesting, also sadly a good representation of humanity.  Strip away our facade of law and civility and people would mostly all betray and do evil to each other.

I don't believe that is true, at least in the long run.  Certainly, in a desperate scenario, immediate needs for food, shelter and security would override most other considerations, including "goodwill towards men."  But once those needs are met, humanity's natural drive as a social creature will compel people to find one another and form mutually beneficial and trusting partnerships.

But that part doesn't make a very interesting game, does it?

Originally posted by spawn12345

if maybe they all didnt take away lots of features and make you pay $13/month!!! then more would like em. $13/month??? wtf thats what a high quality mmo costs.

There are high quality MMOs out there?

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Looked into it and seemed like your typical pay2 compete browser game. I prefer Zombie Pandemic which is coming along very nicely.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    For other great browser muliplayer browser games people should really check out FunOrb. I'd suggest checking out Arcanists (not sure why MMORPG.com hasn't highlighted that game considering how addicting and fun it is).

Smile

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Really fun game buit huge rip off. It was nearly 10.00/month  last time I played and at BEST you can play an hour a day or so before there isnt anything else to do... 

Was a fun diversion but not nearly enough content to justify what they were asking- Granted you can play for free but even that got boring by the second season.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Looked into it and seemed like your typical pay2 compete browser game. I prefer Zombie Pandemic which is coming along very nicely.

It kinda is- With some nice twists though where your Town goes up against others and you really do not "compete" until close to the end (or you end up thrown out of town or hanged)... You have minimal actions you can do per day and sometimes you can get an hour of playing/chatting before you need more points to move or do anything. Mostly you are done in 10-15 mins.

People have been asking for a realistic price structure since day 1 (I was there) since we want to support indies but Cmon.... Over 10 monthly for a spreadsheet with at most an hour of play per day?

Put that in perspective against a game like Eve, of Fantasy Realm Online (which is really free and you could find stuff to do 24/7) or even WOW- Hell TOR and MO are a far better value for the money and even those I knew who did sub to die2nite did it for only a month to support the game and then couldnt justify a sub- I couldnt justify  more than a couple $ a month and I try not to support what I see as blatant greed. Indie or not.

EDIT: ANYONE new should not do ANYTHING in town until you have talked to other citizens. You can end up making enemies or screwing the town by doing the wrong things- There is a town forum you NEED to check before deciding what to do. I have watched many a town ruined and plunged into chaos by an influx of new players who failed to read the town forum.

• NomiusNomius Member Posts: 3

I remember one game I had played, there was this guy who was stealing and being a pain, so he got banished. After that, he continued to steal and hide things in the desert so, I had this great idea, I took some posion and posioned a piece of food and left it in my house. I logged back on the next day and noticed that my food had been stolen, so I checked his house and there he was dead. Everyone didn't care, he didn't have any friends in that town.

The game is amazing, everyone should try it.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459
    I would consider it but the $10 to $13 a month for an hour a day is too much I think. This is perhaps one of those times that if the devs lowered the price for everything to $1 a month they would probably make a ton more money. Especially if they ported the game to work on tablets(assuming it doesnt). They could probably get a million plus users paying that with a bit of advertising.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Browser/Flash games will ALWAYS be restrictive mainly because it is all loaded into that browser and not on your HD.

This is not true.  Browser and flash games can store information on your hard drive.  Take a look at Dark Legends, Dead Frontier, or the numerous games using Unity plugin.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    perma death is good? tell that to allods people and see how they react : P ?
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    doesn't look like a game for me. however, i'm glad to see you guys doing stuff like this.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Awesome game, really good stuff and actually pretty unique. Catch is the sub cost is crazy, way more than normal MMOs like wow or lotro. Still boggles me, since if it was around something like $10 a month I would absolutely be subbed.
  • TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158
    If it had no sub fee I'd try it out but this game is seriously overprized
  • RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

This is the ultimate game for anyone who likes to be a 'forum warrior'. The meat of the game isn't doing actions, but persuading others towards your viewpoint, getting everyone pulling in the same direction and managing to advance your own agenda to come out on top at the end of things.  Whether you are putting in an hour, two or 10 minutes, each person contributes to the success or failure of a town.

I played beta and seasons 1 & 2, with the majority of my towns being right up there in the top 5 each season. I do agree about the pricing, it does seem excessive for what it is, but you can still have plenty fun without paying (at least you could when I was actively playing).

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

I prefer the game called Urban Dead which is not only more fun and it costs nothing.

Urban dead is easily one of the best text based zombie games on the browser

A few turns a day and it is easy to play.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    ill check it out but no way in hell would i pay a monthly sub for a browser based game like this haha.. they should just have adds and leave it as that.
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

I am enjoying it a lot, but I am also annoyed that I can't upgrade anything in my house without being a hero. Although this may not be accurate as I did find a box that allowed me to add more storage. However, upgrades chosen from the list seem to be reserved for heroes. AKA, the paying players.

Because I am enjoying the idea of it all, I will give it more time and see what happens. However, so far the limitations seem iffy.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I decided to give it a try. It is fun and interesting. You can play for free without fear. The only significant point is each "game" has a definiive end. You will die at some point gaurenteed.

Being a hero(IE paid sub) gives some advantages - however, since the object is to work together to make your town last as long as possible - this does not give advantage of one player over another within the context of a given town - only within the context of the leaderboard for best towns overall - IE a town with a lot of heroes will last substantially longer than one without.

The one negative as everyone states is the cost to sub/be a hero is way too high. If they ported this game to tablets and smart phones - reduced the sub to like $1 - $5 for 31 days  they would end up making millions.

On a side note the sub is not your typical sub where you pay for 30-31 days whether you play or not. It only counts down on your subbed days while you are alive and active in a given town and playing. So if you die and do not play again for a week then you dont lose any more Hero days ( IE sub days). However, if you join a town you really have to do things every day or the town will go down in flames.