Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you enjoy cities in SWG?

2»

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by ktanner3

Actually I hated the cities in SWG. As a poster here already said, they were just places to store your junk. I can see why crafters liked it, but for a non crafter such as me they were wastes of space. I did like the mayoral system and I enjoyed doing things with our guild in the city, but I just think it was poorly implemented.

Once the city pack up system got implemented cities were no longer used for storage, but houses were. Storage houses were then placed outisde cities to prevent getting packed up.

It could have been implemeneted better, and SOE should have listened to Cigaran more.

They were a good timesink, even in its flawed state, and kept people playing after hitting max level, but If done right, would have been so much better, and worthwhile to be in any MMO.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by RefMinor

I am looking forward to it.

Me too. I want to see what they do with this. Even though Hero engine worries me a bit. Good to see you Ref :)

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Obraik

I know people will boo and hiss, but SOE has said they'd like to revist the sandbox genre now that they've lost SWG.  SOE of all the MMO companies do have a more varried variety of MMO's compared to most.  They have their WoW cookiee cutters (EQ/EQ2) but then they have some that are quite different, like Planetside. 

Couple things here...

1.) Everquest was NOT a WOW cookie cutter. Everquest came out long before WOW did. Plus Everquest 2 launched around the same time as World of Warcraft did.

2.)  After SWG, Matrix Online,Vanguard ,DC Universe Online, and the theft of personal data debacle, I don't see why anyone would give SOE their money.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I loved the housing system, but I didn't care for the open world housing since it made for bad lag and rubberbanding. If they could take that system and put it on one planet dedicated to housing, it would be great for me.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I know people will boo and hiss, but SOE has said they'd like to revist the sandbox genre now that they've lost SWG.  SOE of all the MMO companies do have a more varried variety of MMO's compared to most.  They have their WoW cookiee cutters (EQ/EQ2) but then they have some that are quite different, like Planetside. 

Couple things here...

1.) Everquest was NOT a WOW cookie cutter. Everquest came out long before WOW did.

2.)  After SWG, Matrix Online,Vanguard ,DC Universe Online, and the theft of personal data debacle, I don't see why anyone would give SOE their money.

SWG did have a loyal fanbase and was a succes at release.

VAnguard was an EA production all the way. SOE only bought the game when EA stopped developing it.  SAdly they never invested in finishing it.

DCUO is probably the best action MMORPG aropund right now.

The tefth of personal data, will and has happened to almost all other big players.

SOE is not better, nor worse then all the other big players. But they have also the longest learning curve, and are still improving despite their mistakes in the past.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

....and then SOE pissed on the loyal fanbase with the NGE. Not to mention they lied about what they were doing for months. What a great company.

VAnguard was an EA production all the way. SOE only bought the game when EA stopped developing it.  SAdly they never invested in finishing it.

And this counters my argument how?

DCUO is probably the best action MMORPG aropund right now.

That very few play.

The tefth of personal data, will and has happened to almost all other big players.

No it hasn't.

SOE is not better, nor worse then all the other big players. But they have also the longest learning curve, and are still improving despite their mistakes in the past.

Sorry, but some mistakes are unforgivable.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

....and then SOE pissed on the loyal fanbase with the NGE. Not to mention they lied about what they were doing for months. What a great company.

SOE developed the content to do what LEC wanted it to be after the CU and Pre-CU  versions Failed to gain 1m+  subs.

And this counters my argument how?

It proves that EA could screw up a wet dream.

It also proves that SOE isn't just shutting down games they run when subs drop belong what people consider 'profitable.'

Thats a childish viewpoint for a GAME.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

Originally posted by hipiap

No, it's the same grown up viewpoint that most customers have towards any company and its products. I fail to see why games should be treated any differently. I notice on this site that many posters have a negative view of EA. Would you consider them childish by refusing to pay for any EA products? I wouldn't. Clearly they have a beef with EA and are exercising their right as consumers by not giving them money. If you're okay with companies screwing you over  and providing shoddy service then be my guest. But don't belittle others for not taking it.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I totally love how people get pissed at SoE, but then they let Lucas completely off the hook, for my money, my bet is on the NGE/CU NEVER happening, if it wasn't for Lucas.....Never seen a mmo before SWG change like they did, you don't rewrite your game, you try to fix what is wrong or add more content within the context of the game....Not try to make it something different...

Lucas loves to tinker, and if TOR's subs keep falling, he may NGE it and piss off a whole new generation of mmo players...I hope he doesn't for their sake....Although I wouldn't feel too bad for some of the loud mouths that find it funny, and run around acting like SWG players deserved it...

No, it's the same grown up viewpoint that most customers have towards any company and its products. I fail to see why games should be treated any differently. I notice on this site that many posters have a negative view of EA. Would you consider them childish by refusing to pay for any EA products? I wouldn't. Clearly they have a beef with EA and are exercising their right as consumers by not giving them money. If you're okay with companies screwing you over  and providing shoddy service then be my guest. But don't belittle others for not taking it.

Xthos makes a great point about how all you Hard Core 'pre-nge/pre-cu" complainers always forget to BLAME LA/LEC for their involvement with the changes to SWG while you bend over backwards and scream that SOE is the devil.

And then bend over for TOR and not 7 months later find out that EA running a SW game is worse than taking it up the tailpipe in prison from a Con named Bull

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

They were one of the (many) things that made SWG stand out from the other MMO's available, however it looks like The Repopulation has taken the concept and is adding all the stuff we wanted to see happen with cities in SWG.  Their video demo of it kind of shows it off pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfQvwAuesQ

As with most of the systems in SWG it was a good idea with bad implimentation.  from the minute cities were added we were stuck dealing with ghost towns etc. I thought for the first month or so though it was a great experience.

And then bend over for TOR and not 7 months later find out that EA running a SW game is worse than taking it up the tailpipe in prison from a Con named Bull

I've never had a problem with EA, so you're barking up the wrong tree there. Until you pay my salary, I'll be the one to decide where my dollars go. What I'm curious about, is why are you going out of your way to excuse SOE? Like I said, if you want to keep throwing your money at them, be my guest. What difference does it make what I do? Apparently, Planetside 2 is on the way to save the day along with EQ Next. Have fun. Hopefully your experience will be better than others have had with SOE games.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please return to the topic of the thread and don't turn this into an EA-SOE-NGE discussion. Create another thread for that discussion if you wish to have it.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65

If this game is anything like SWG pre CU or even CU i would very mMMuch like to play it. I'm sick of MMO's at the moment. TOR is rubbish and cookie cutter. Thanks for the post

• BloodnokBloodnok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Some of my fondest SWG memories were from player cities:

- Sitting on the opear house roof, crafting in the rain.

- Hanging around on my front porch watching people go to and fro doing their daily business.

- Relaxing in the hot tub in our cantina with friends.

- Getting into drunk duels outside the cantina afterwards.

- Leading a team of commandos into the neighbouring Imperial city and jumping imps as they left their homes.

- Defending our city base from attacks.

- A visit from a jedi outside our town hall, when such sights were very rare.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Does any remember Sith Enclave, Dantooine on Bria?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUv1Q1VUIRw&list=UUENaS2G-VFgu_HABId-hv7g&index=4&feature=plcp

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}
  • Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

The cities in SWG are a flawed but awesome concept (especially in it's day). But they were also very annoying. For one thing they didn't have developed land. It just looked like regular terrain. They didn't have walls, even decorative, something to give the city some kind of definitive look. Another downside was the silly names that broke immersion. Mos Vegas should have been the limit. One great feature would have been the ability to un-tick player cities when looking at a planet map. It was far too crowded, making it hard to click on a starport or shuttleport.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I'm not sure how they did it but my Guild had a Bunker right next to the Shuttleport. If you rode the shuttle into town and you were an enemy combatant then that was the end of you.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

They were one of the (many) things that made SWG stand out from the other MMO's available, however it looks like The Repopulation has taken the concept and is adding all the stuff we wanted to see happen with cities in SWG.  Their video demo of it kind of shows it off pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfQvwAuesQ

Definitely Obraik!

Todays MMO's games are pretty much the same ole thing, I am glad some independent company is taking a chance on making a quality game we all loved in SWG.

• CircleBoxCircleBox Member Posts: 6

Yeah that game does look cool.

However in Global Endemic Online we are taking an even further approach to cities. They are one of the center pieces of the game. You obviously don't have to participate in them, but cities provide numerous types of gameplay.

In GEO you can place homes and everyone starts with a simple tent. You can gather together to form communities right from the start and as you progress and your village grows it becomes more. Cities, including captiols, are created by the players. You guys are capable of building city walls. Erecting large useable turret towers. You can design the layout of the city and as your city grows it will become populated with NPC's some of which will bring quests. The cities the players make are the center cities of the game with everything you need.

Cities can declare war on Cities. You can battle in large PvP battles that include NPC city soldiers as well to create massive wars. You can literally lay waste to a city and even loot from their treasury. Losing cities will have to wait a short duration for their city to be rebuilt. City wars are strategic. You can destroy their flightpath to prevent their city members from flying in. You can destroy their medical center to force them to respawn elsewhere.

As your city grows you may also have to deal with Zombie raid attacks. Zombies will ambush your city and you and your members must come together to defend the city. Loot great items, level your professions, and protect your city at the same time.

You can even create factions through your cities. Make your city hostile against another. Go overt or covert and take out members of hostile cities.

Further yet, you can sell yourself as a Mercenary and particpate in other cities wars.

The insides of your homes are customizable just as they were in SWG. GEO gives you the freedom to play the game your way.

Take a look at it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1672613130/global-endemic-online-a-true-zombie-survival-mmorp

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    SWG was the first MMO that actually had massive cities that took your breath away. I'm not talking about player cities but actual developer made ones and what was even more amazing was they were totally 3D and seamless in the game world. Now it's considered the norm after MMOs like WoW popularised massive game cities.
  • LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I worked my ass off to get master politician , when the CU hit the gave it to everyone. MIss the citys and the sprawling mess we made on Talus. Great for PvP .
  • WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I saw a video before, but couldnt remember what it was called thanks for posting this i am very grateful. now I know 4 more games I want lol.
    I miss the First city I was mayor of in 2005.....I only managed to get it to a level 2 City before the NGE hit and everyone in my guild on Intrepid quit....but it was Fun.