Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A proposal for abbreviating class names

2»

Comments

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Gadareth
    Originally posted by WooShoo

Hmm I prefer :-

Elementalist = Wizbang

Engineer = monkey-wrench

Guardian = meatshield

Mesmer = charmer

Necromancer = dodgy habits

Ranger = treehugger

Thief = always in front

Warrior = likes pointy things

Much easier to understand what your dealing with.

I like these... can we make these official please!!! :-)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by dekou

I like these more:

Elementalist = E
    Engineer = Rt
    Guardian = D
    Mesmer = Me
    Necromancer = N
    Ranger = R
    Thief = A
    Warrior = W

No for the obvious reasons.

• EscafandroEscafandro Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

lol @ Rouge, i hate it when i see this,Because i speak french and Rouge mean RED,

Now we've Theif instead of Rouge.
    Also known as Assasin in GW1.
  • Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    lol @ Rouge, i hate it when i see this,Because i speak french and Rouge mean RED,

What if you are a Sylvari that is red and always wear all red clothes.. is Rouge acceptable then?  (I do not speak french but it also bothers me)

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i have similar issues with it.  not only because of my French studies from years ago but because in the US it is a common term for make-up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouge_(cosmetics)

its another word for "blush"

not as popular these days as it was when i was younger.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

If we going to discuss mistakes, "loose" is the one that annoys me.

Lose is the word for defeat, loss.

Loose can be something that isn't tight ("My trousers are loose") or not literal ("a loose interpretation"), etc.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• WooShooWooShoo Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by terrant

With respect OP, why does it matter? If you know what profression is being talked about (And since you're on the subject of technical accuracy they are professions, not classes), does it really matter?

If you know what game feature is being talked about (And since you're on the subject of semantics, "class" is a generic term used by almost every MMO player in place of game-specific terms such as "profession", "job", "calling", or "achetype" to name a few), does it really matter?

Personally, I'm the type to never abbreviate the names when I'm speaking, but chat is where these would come into play, and for those of you who seem to be upset with abbreviations appearing at all or mind-blown that people can't take an extra second to type out a full word, abbreviations are going to happen for two reasons - people are lazy and faster chat in fights.

I am not familiar enough with the GW community to know how these were abbreviated in GW, so I drew off of the one game I played where abbreviations were used almost uniformly across all regions which played the game - FFXI. I have rarely ever used "random number generator" (RNG) when talking about anything in games, so I'm not surprised I didn't catch that when I first made the post, but I can see the need to not use that abbreviation.

This thread was as much a suggestion for uniformity as it was an experiment to see how many people would lose their **** over it. No big deal. As people have stated, it will most likely happen on its own after the game has been out for a little while.  I just thought I might take a stab at starting that early.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

i have similar issues with it.  not only because of my French studies from years ago but because in the US it is a common term for make-up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouge_(cosmetics)

its another word for "blush"

not as popular these days as it was when i was younger.

I hate it too even though I do not speak french, nor do I wear makeup.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.