Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The Secret World: Funcom's Magnum Opus

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by Ambros123

Originally posted by Misaris

if you don't like the combat you are either really, really bad at it or have not reached the higher abilities yet. 

also the quests are everything but average, every single one was a surprise and there are endless numbers of new quest mechanics, puzzles and a certain easteregg feeling to many quests. 

It's super fun, people complain before they even try it. Scared about your precious GW2 hype I reckon

And this is the same crap that SWTOR defenders spewed about their game that is now going F2P.

Yeah that's not even close to true. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I recommend that anyone should give this game a go. It is well worth the price for 1 month of very fun gameplay.

Sadly, the population will clearly thin out very soon, as the devs are unable to create content fast enough (the game was in development for well over 3 years, yet they only produced bug-filled content for 2-3 weeks of gameplay).

While the end game is incredibly grindy and the "no class system" translates into: "you need to grind out weeks of skills to be able to actually play the game to its fullest", I have to admit that the atmosphere and the quest system are top-notch, better even than SWTOR in my opinion (might not be the case if you're a huge Star Wars fan ofc).

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

I recommend that anyone should give this game a go. It is well worth the price for 1 month of very fun gameplay.

Sadly, the population will clearly thin out very soon, as the devs are unable to create content fast enough (the game was in development for well over 3 years, yet they only produced bug-filled content for 2-3 weeks of gameplay).

While the end game is incredibly grindy and the "no class system" translates into: "you need to grind out weeks of skills to be able to actually play the game to its fullest", I have to admit that the atmosphere and the quest system are top-notch, better even than SWTOR in my opinion (might not be the case if you're a huge Star Wars fan ofc).

So nice that some are willing to tell people to go throw away 60 bucks for something that will give them minimal entertainment value.  In my bookr 60 bucks to be thrown away at a game it better last longer than a month.  You throw away 60 bucks to play around a game where you only have a 30 day play period is an utter waste in regards to your philosophy.  I recommend people to wait 25 days for GW2 then as your 60 bucks lasts way longer and a much higher return.

• supermike27supermike27 Member Posts: 24
    people keep asking why they go for subs when they know eventually it will go F2P. The answer maybe is  quick money. They probably already know they will eventually go to the conan F2P model but want that money right now to help pay for the costs of making the game in the first place. If they spent 200 million on a game like this and went lets give it out for free what would be the point even charging to purchase it then giving the F2P models wouldnt make up the cost of making the game. But if they did offer it F2P but with the purchase maybe the amount of purchases would out shine even purchases with Subs so who knows my guess is the F2P wouldnt make as much money right this minute.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by Ambros123

Originally posted by Misaris

if you don't like the combat you are either really, really bad at it or have not reached the higher abilities yet. 

also the quests are everything but average, every single one was a surprise and there are endless numbers of new quest mechanics, puzzles and a certain easteregg feeling to many quests. 

It's super fun, people complain before they even try it. Scared about your precious GW2 hype I reckon

And this is the same crap that SWTOR defenders spewed about their game that is now going F2P.

Yeah that's not even close to true. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

When faced with criticism SWTOR fans were foaming from the mouth defending their game which is the case here.  People blindly defending their game when people share a different opinion and try to rebuke it which is what was happening in what I quoted.  For instnace the reaction to the combat being bad.  I personally don't like TSW combat because in my eyes it just bad and repetitive, but that's opinion and so now fans will try to debunk my opinion.

• daystar18daystar18 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Game must be doing something right. Its hype was around 7.1 and after time has went higher....also be reminded more people tend to complain and rate low than people come to actually give positive feedback.
  • vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I got the lifetime sub, tho not currently playing due to SLi issues.
  • TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662
    I'm neither a lover or hater of TSW, and even I can see the review is obviously biased.
  • TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

I think before people start quoting Metacritic as proof of how good TSW is, they should look at the amount of ratings that have affected the score:

TSW:  71/100 based on just 40 Critics, 8.4 based on 603 Ratings.

Now compare that to:

Diablo3:  88/100 based on 85 Critics, 3.8 based on 6533 Ratings

And finally:

SWTOR:  85/100 based on 73 Critics, 5.6 based on 2063 Ratings.

In short, the Metacritic scores for TSW lack accuracy due to the lack of Ratings.  Therefore, it's probably not advisable to rely on them to bolster your arguments too much at the moment.

• AtrusHomeboyAtrusHomeboy Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by BlackestNite

Originally posted by daystar18

Game must be doing something right. Its hype was around 7.1 and after time has went higher....also be reminded more people tend to complain and rate low than people come to actually give positive feedback.

they haven't even hit their target of 450K subs. at the current sales rate it will take another two months, if ever. that's why there's no announcements about commercial performance of any kind made. it has sold about 130K as of now and they are losing subs already. 

Source? I have yet to see anything about sales numbers.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

I see your problem, the game really wasn't designed for grouping with that many, sure you can do it, but you're right, you will end up facerolling the content and not finding much challenge. Try doing it solo and you'll come away with much longer playing times

I just LMAO, this is an MMORPG right

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

8.5 my ass, they give high scores to every pos progression raid grind on this site.

Just waiting for the 6.0 score they are going to give GW2 I mean they gave EVE a 7 so anything is possible I guess.

Reviews on this site are a joke. The next great white hope for raiders, lol.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Originally posted by Sleepyfish

8.5 my ass, they give high scores to every pos progression raid grind on this site.

Just waiting for the 6.0 score they are going to give GW2

Why so mad bro? 6.0 would be a decent score for GW2

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

they haven't even hit their target of 450K subs. at the current sales rate it will take another two months, if ever. that's why there's no announcements about commercial performance of any kind made. it has sold about 130K as of now and they are losing subs already. 

WOuld love to see the source. I ask since I am from the Bay Area and have a good friend who works for EA.  What he tells me is certainly much different from what you are saying.  He also showed me some very interesting documents.  Again in the same boat I know as i can not disclose anymore but I can assure you what I have seen contradicts what is posted above regarding sales and sub information.

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72

Just played some of the free weekend, and someone has to be getting payed to give bogus review scores. This game does NOT deserve an 8.5 score. Funcom made the same mistake as Bioware in making a MMO that had potential and making it into a $60 + $15 monthly + Cash Shop single-player-experience with other players running around. It's loaded with enough cutscenes within the first couple of hours of gameplay to make the Metal Gear franchise jealous. Don't get me wrong here. The voice acting is hands down one of the best I've seen. I'm a HUGE fan of Jeffrey Combs and his nutty professor performance was really cool. However, like Bioware has done with Old Republic, Funcom has taken a MMO and turned it into a single-player experience with little-to-none interaction with other players. I also have to say that the community did not seem that great either. I had a couple of questions in the game and although a couple did answer my question, others were very rude/condescending in their responses.  The combat was okay, in my opinion. However, the dodge feature was useless. It just gives the *appearance* of being useful. First off, it's on too long of a cool down. You can usually use it about once per equal-strength engagement. Secondly, I dodged a boss' attack to only have it *home* in on my ending-dodge location, making the dodge wasted. Like I said, it's mainly an illusion of being useful. Love the bugs that still exist. The main one was mostly aesthetic, with my guy have his shotgun on his back while carrying it while running around.  This might not seem like a bug, but I only had one shotgun, so I should have either been carrying it around or have it on my back...not both. Also, the other was one of by empty hands shooting buckshot. While this may be cool in theory, it's not very realistic (although, it's difficult to use the word *realism* in this game). Another thing I disliked was the leading-your-character-by-the-nose for questing, then just stopping only to have you scratching your head on what to do next. Now, it wasn't really difficult to figure out what to do next, but the game literally get's you *trained* to follow a certain format, i.e. follow the locations on the map for this quest, then the next one, then all of a sudden BAM! map is empty, quest log is vague in describing what to do. They should have done it one way or the other. Train ya to follow the *carrot*, or make it a bit more difficult. After realizing what they were doing it wasn't difficult, just aggravating at times.

The best thing I can say about this game is how well it runs. The game is beautiful and it runs effing great. No lag spikes, no jittering. Just smoothe gameplay no matter how many others were running around. I don't have the horsepower to run this game at full potential (my video card holding me back). I can run on medium settings at my max resolution (1440x900) with really good framerate. My 9800gt 512mb just doesn't have the VRAM to run at higher texture rates (the game doesn't even allow you to choose high if you don't have 1gb+ of VRAM).

Overall, I would not give this game over a 5.0 in it's current state. Several factors let me reach this score. Remove the montly sub, make it a buy to play with no restrictions (buy the game, play it just like GW2), fix these bugs and I would definitely give it a 7.0 and consider buying it. However, this game just is NOT worth buying, paying monthly, and the cash shop. Hell, I don't know of ANY game worth that in today's market.

For those that do enjoy the game, have fun! This is totally my opinion of The Secret World, and does not reflect the attitudes of anyone else.

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by verenov

Just played some of the free weekend, and someone has to be getting payed to give bogus review scores. This game does NOT deserve an 8.5 score. Funcom made the same mistake as Bioware in making a MMO that had potential and making it into a $60 + $15 monthly + Cash Shop single-player-experience with other players running around.

The cash shop does only offer accecoirs like a jacket or boots, there is nothing special about the cash shop. 2nd its totally not a single player game, 98% of the quests are doable by groups and in every area u have a doungen. To comment the dodging its not needed for questing thats trough, later on in doungens its an important ability if u dont want to get 1hitted.

After playing a month I can give it a 8,0 overall its a good game, with missing some addicting endgame options, personally im missing a few more battlegrounds and a decent BUFF to animate ppl going to fusang.

• DKMFanDKMFan Member Posts: 1
    Lots of people getting mad over an opinion article here. Kids on the internet need to chill out. Not everyone will have the same perception or value certain things as highly as you do. That's life, and if you go outside amongst the public, you might find that there are millions of different people with millions of different views and opinions. Your opinion, like this one, is just one in thousands and has no individual value. It's probably not unique. Get over yourselves.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

*raises eyebrow*

I do not see the logic in this praise.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• rav500rav500 Member Posts: 46

It's definitely the best MMO I've ever played, if not the best game I've ever played. I've never seen such a depth of the story-line in any game before. I think the game hits a special group of gamers. Personally I'm a sort of a hybrid MMO and adventurer. Therefore, it suits me perfectly.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by rav500

It's definitely the best MMO I've ever played, if not the best game I've ever played. I've never seen such a depth of the story-line in any game before. I think the game hits a special group of gamers. Personally I'm a sort of a hybrid MMO and adventurer. Therefore, it suits me perfectly.

I agree 100%. The best MMO I have played in years.

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Originally posted by rav500

I agree 100%. The best MMO I have played in years.

Yep I'm in, also best MMO ever. And I played quite a number..

• flynnkdflynnkd Member UncommonPosts: 25

Really like the game, atmosphere is excellent. Cut scenes are the best I have seen - the guy in the junk yard is awesome.

Combat needs work, skills are many but have a feel of being very similar to each other.

Should become a classic if they support it fully.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Atmosphere is excellent, the story line is good enough as well. I enjoyed it much more then SWTOR setting and the story line of my bounty hunter, which I found boring and repetitive.

Beyond that it gets worse. Combat which is easily 3/4 of your time in the game is a rather disappointing experience. Skills work and look really similar. Animations,sounds and feel of the combat are still lacking.

The whole mechanics of building your own build and passive synergies shoots itself in a foot by depending too much on passives and even that part is really semi. It's all about one effect  triggering another effect. WIth all the claimed freedom of building your own original build, you want to stay efficient you are restricted by a much smaller number of sensible builds.

In the end it all boils down to pressing a resource builder fives times, pressing two resource consumers and repeating the whole process until your target or targets die. Other four buttons it's usually one CC, one buff, one escape skill and possible one more damaging skill ( often elite ) which doesn't depend on the resources. 

I tried to make the combat as active experience as possible with my builds:

Pistol and shotty kitter which I later modified by sacrificing crit power for more penetration:

http://www.drakkashi.com/secretworld/wheel.php?58=0&56=2&48=2&52=4&56=4&61=0&48=6&58=1&58=3&11=2&11=0&9=0&60=1&57=6

but in long run it gets boring. I finished my first "free" month half way through the first Transylvanian zone and decided the game is not worth my sub after all. The combat experience is one thing, but the lack of content is another. I would most likely finish the available zone content in the next two weeks. There is no way Funcom is going to produce enough game content to keep me paying.

Dungeons don't interest me despite fact the few I tried were quite fun. The thing is that Funcom made a mistake of following the old tank, healer and dps silliness. It makes the group pve combat even more static and depended on available healers and tanks. I have no patience or time to wait until I manage to gather an appropriate group of pub heroes.

TSW pvp is another issue. It's gets down to zerg >> gear > skill.

Finally I don't intend to pay a sub for running over and over 3 pvp instances and some pointless dungeon treadmill for stats.

If I want pvp or multiplayer experience I have BF3 and soon PS2 . Repetitive subpar pvp and dungeon treadmill doesn't justify a sub. The game gets 7/10 from me.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Not the most accurate of sites, plus its only retail figures.. dont believe they include digital downlaods or anything like that.. as they dont have that information from the digital retailers and especially from ea/funcom.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/38647/the-secret-world/

kinda gives a bit of an idea.. so yeah i would think they have hit their target and probally have quite a few more..